The Rumour Thread

23 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

If by next edition, GW puts everything except minis & paints behind the paywall, I might be out of the hobby as I’m not in this for screens. If it becomes rules on App, lore on +, WD digital-only, I’m outta here.

This is a super over-exaggeration, at least based on what we know today They really aren't taking anything major away and putting it behind paywall.... let's recap:

Animation - Brand new stuff. Ok sure they hired Astartes guy, but honestly it's their IP, and his creation was violating their rights, so I'd say he got a good deal. 
"Vault" - Access to old publications included. New publications still sold as normal not behind paywall. 
"Exclusive miniature" - How many "event exclusive, store birthday, only for sale on warhammer.com for 5 minutes at 3am" minis are there already? I suspect these will be on ebay for reasonable enough prices... 
"Apps" -  In USD anyway, this is the same price i already was paying for 40k app. I get that and the new AoS app (surely another $5 a month) included?? this alone makes it worth it. 
"Exclusive shows"  - This one probably irks me the most. "sorry Darren you have to shut down your youtube channel that you really enjoyed and was great value to the hobby, so that we can put a similar thing behind a paywall". but a lot of this is going to be new content they weren't already doing. 

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

This is a super over-exaggeration, at least based on what we know today They really aren't taking anything major away and putting it behind paywall.... let's recap:

Animation - Brand new stuff. Ok sure they hired Astartes guy, but honestly it's their IP, and his creation was violating their rights, so I'd say he got a good deal. 
"Vault" - Access to old publications included. New publications still sold as normal not behind paywall. 
"Exclusive miniature" - How many "event exclusive, store birthday, only for sale on warhammer.com for 5 minutes at 3am" minis are there already? I suspect these will be on ebay for reasonable enough prices... 
"Apps" -  In USD anyway, this is the same price i already was paying for 40k app. I get that and the new AoS app (surely another $5 a month) included?? this alone makes it worth it. 
"Exclusive shows"  - This one probably irks me the most. "sorry Darren you have to shut down your youtube channel that you really enjoyed and was great value to the hobby, so that we can put a similar thing behind a paywall". but a lot of this is going to be new content they weren't already doing. 

It’s not exaggeration, it is extrapolation. Printing & shipping costs continue to rise exorbitantly. In a few years, when WH+ is robust enough, why wouldn’t they go strictly digital?

3 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Let me ask a genuine question. You believe the app as it stands now is worth money? Such that you are excited for the transition from Azyr to an AoS version? I am actually wondering why if so.

I mean 5/5 to GW for showing me I don’t need to use my entire iPad screen. But for most companies I would say it’s embarrassing?

F2CCDF26-7AC8-477A-A42A-31718C1378D5.jpeg

• Like 8

So if they are making an AoS companion app then what ill they be doing with the current AoS app? The current app has everything thats needed including digital books, free warscrolls, and a list building tool. Do they need a full on separate app for...I dont even know what they would add.

• Like 2

I must say that all of the Warhammer+ news is really disheartening to me. I am not into a monthly subscription for an already needlessly expensive hobby. I also thought the free warscrolls and army building tools for AOS were a large part of how and why I got invested into the game in the first place. It truly felt like GW had turned over a new and better leaf... Oh well I should have learned along time ago what company I was dealing with. I cannot imagine it last long, but I also imagine them trying to hold out on it much longer than they truly ought to. 

As for rumours, I am feeling like I need to play a bit of catch up but do we have anything new regarding SCE and Orruk Warbands/Kruel Boyz? It seems like it has been a little silent beyond vague possibly false rumours of drakes and wolves...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

I still think that's GW'S worst decision of the last 3 years especially as it hasn't stopped piracy at all. 

I obviously won't name names but my impression is that it has likely INCREASED piracy.

There are many people who don't want paper books for physical (heavy, clunky, hard to transport, especially for people who have disabilities, etc.) reasons, and there are many people who don't want paper books for environmental reasons.

You have taken away the ability of these people to buy an e-book from GW and actually pay them for it. They can get the rules only, but not the rest.

However, they can still get the e-book. Just they don't pay for it anymore.

My honest belief is GW has cost themselves revenue by eliminating the PDFs, and if W+ as rumored is a step to the AoS app becoming the awful 40k App and eliminating e-books, they will simultaneously make the game less popular than it would be as the crowd who cares about marginal environmental issues will be pissed, and they will sell less books because the committed e-book people will now pirate everything because GW literally will not take their money.

It's... confusing.

• Like 9

I guess GW thought that those people who bought e-books bought a physical book first and no one bought just the digital rules alone

so they are doing us a favour by giving us the digital version for free in addition and have less problems with selling different versions

yet I don't see them moving full digital at all but find other ways to force people to buy physical books

I am curious if we get the full version of the rulebook digital or if there will be something missing

1 hour ago, Reinholt said:

I obviously won't name names but my impression is that it has likely INCREASED piracy.

There are many people who don't want paper books for physical (heavy, clunky, hard to transport, especially for people who have disabilities, etc.) reasons, and there are many people who don't want paper books for environmental reasons.

You have taken away the ability of these people to buy an e-book from GW and actually pay them for it. They can get the rules only, but not the rest.

However, they can still get the e-book. Just they don't pay for it anymore.

My honest belief is GW has cost themselves revenue by eliminating the PDFs, and if W+ as rumored is a step to the AoS app becoming the awful 40k App and eliminating e-books, they will simultaneously make the game less popular than it would be as the crowd who cares about marginal environmental issues will be pissed, and they will sell less books because the committed e-book people will now pirate everything because GW literally will not take their money.

It's... confusing.

Yeah ever since the AoS app ive never bought physical books. Only digital. With 40k Im forced to buy the actual book cuz there is no other option. The 40k app has improved a lot but is still bad compared to the AoS app

• Like 1

It’s kind of wild that GW had (and has) a clean and functional app for AoS for several years and then managed to squander everything they learned for an amateurish 40k app that’s inferior in every way and wasn’t even functional at launch. I don’t know if it was down to cost issues or a different dev or what but to see them mess up with problems they had solved only a few years before was baffling.
So too is their seemingly throwing that AoS  good will away to make something closer to the 40k example.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

+++ MOD HAT +++

Come on folks, I politely asked people to take the Warhammer+ discussion onto a new thread and have just read a page worth of you continuing the discussion in the rumour thread.

Maybe move the conversation about Warhammer+ into a different thread (the one Lowky made). I know the moderators can do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deakz28 said:

So what are people’s thoughts on when the next reveal will most likely be? And will we see more stuff for SCE and KB? Or some further out stuff? 

I'm saying about the start/mid August - July, so far, rounds off Dominion + Beastsnaggas, and I don't think there is much else outside of what we know will come w/ Battletomes (Chariot, Troggoth etc.)

I'd be hesitant to think AOS will get any lions share. Wouldn't surprise me to see an Underworlds announcement or Warcry potentially, but a month after the edition launch I'd doubt it'd be much outside of "here is the Vanquishers or a Lord-Maguffin' and 'here is the Mouth of Mork'.

They drip fed Necrons and Space Marines for months last year - up until Pariah Nexus iirc. Potentially a rough roadmap of battletomes ('Maggotkin will come next then...')

If rumours are to be believed and our first of the new armies will come Q4, I'd expect to hear nothing until atleast October

44 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So are we talking about new skaven models!

Because nothing can rid me of my pennies, unless it has something to do with a living rat

While dressing up rats and putting them on the table is fun, I think dead rats, or better yet objects shaped like a rat are a bit more managable in a general setting.

I would expect/hope to see CruelBoyz  get more than one additional wave of new models. Stormcast don't need to keep level with them, they've already got one of the biggest ranges of modern models in AoS. So the new army is the one in need of fleshing out far more so and I don't think people would begrudge them getting a fast release cycle to push their army out there. Certainly new diverse armies with a wide model range clearly get improved sales. Look at how Lumineth have clearly picked up a lot more attention with their second wave than they did with their first (accepting that their first was messed up with Corona). I suspect if Ossiarchs had had a fast second wave they'd have picked up a lot more attention as well. 

Whatever happens I expect a smoother year than last year; last year Necrons and Marines spent months with new models and a new edition and no Codex. I'd instead expect to see new Battletomes for AoS landing very fast after Dominus for Stormcast and Cruelboyz. 

10 minutes ago, NotAWzrd said:

In terms of start collecting boxes for the new edition, what’s missing? I’m expecting the exclusive sprues of Soul Wars will be moved to a Nighthaunt SC and Sacrosanct SC. Is it just Lumineth and OBR that don’t have one after that?

Pretty sure sons of behemath? Don't have one? But it's a special army, so I understand why...