Mortal Realms Magazine

Bayul

The new Mortal Realms magazine will be released next week and I thought it deserves a thread despite being available UK and Spain only.

More details:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/20/enter-the-mortal-realms-in-2020/
https://www.warhammermortalrealms.com/

Did anybody subscribe to the regular or premium subscription yet? Or do you order individual issues via Forbidden Planet?

How long do you think single issues will be available? Only the week they are released?

8c534aab.jpg

I subscribed last year when they did their "trial" (no issues sent tbh, but did canvas to see how popular it is) - the impression I got is that I wouldn't have to resubscribe (and would get the first two issues free).

For me personally, the premium option isn't worth it as I wouldn't have any use for the additional models, so will stick with a regular one.

Based on the 40k equivalent, the issues in shops (WHSmiths in the UK) tend to vanish almost as soon as they appear - most stores seem to only get one or two in.  The issues are available direct from Hatchetworks and think they tend to be available for a month or so (fairly sure it's not an infinite time), if there's an issue you're after I'd suggest not hanging around - the first issue has 10 chainrasp on for only a couple of pound - less than 10% the cost of the actual box set, so I can see that being in really high demand.

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

How much is the subscription, and would it make sense to ask s.o. From Spain/UK to subscribe for oneself?

In UK I think it’s per issue so would be £7.99. I don’t think you need to sign up for so many but not sure. I have a Forbidden Planet next to where I work so I’ll be getting a few issues when they come out. 

Im sure you could ask somebody to subscribe for you but not sure how practical that would be with getting your hands on the end product. 

I know plenty of people living in the UK so it won't be too much hassle to have one of them look after it for me and then pick up a job lot of issues when I visit. 

I'm umming and aahing about it tbh, I have quite intense FOMO and the idea of the bargain is strong but I already have lots of Nighthaunt and don't have much use for the Stormcast...

I'd love to get it, but at the same time I have to be somewhat rational and realise that I don't actually "Want/need" a Stormcast and Nighthaunt army. I'd honestly be more in it for the terrain packs. I might try and pay attention to it on Forbidden Planet and pick up the odd neat issue that might have a model I want, but otherwise I'm having to pass on this. £30 a month or so I think I'd rather put toward my current armies. 

That said I hope it sparks off many a new gamer not just existing ones collecting them. 

5 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I know plenty of people living in the UK so it won't be too much hassle to have one of them look after it for me and then pick up a job lot of issues when I visit. 

I'm umming and aahing about it tbh, I have quite intense FOMO and the idea of the bargain is strong but I already have lots of Nighthaunt and don't have much use for the Stormcast...

Ebay or swap them? The one benefit of them being AoS' most popular army is the ability to easily sell them on. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

It frustrates me greatly that this is region locked.

Yeah, but it's understandable. Logistically its a major undertaking to release at a national level - GW has to produce a LOT of stock and the magazine company then has to take that stock, add it to the magazine stock that is produced and then ship it all out. In addition when it comes to countries where English isn't the national language, the books would need translation; whilst for regions like the USA the size of the country complicates things significantly. USA is a huge market, but at the same time its a massive logistical nightmare and production too - you've got to have lots of warehouse space in the USA - perhaps in multiple reigons; you've got to produces masses of product and market and sell it. Lots of potential to go wrong.

GW does sell in the USA; but I don't think the company doing the magazines has as strong a market/experience in the USA. 

Overall, you won't save any money. You could achieve similar armies by investing £32 a month in the hobby for the 2+ years it takes to get everything via a regular trade seller who offers a bit of discount.

Also bear in mind that Hatchette have absolutely terrible customer service, with the 40k version, the Customer service team and Community team had to step in on several occasions to resolve missing or forgotten orders

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Yeah, but it's understandable. Logistically its a major undertaking to release at a national level - GW has to produce a LOT of stock and the magazine company then has to take that stock, add it to the magazine stock that is produced and then ship it all out. In addition when it comes to countries where English isn't the national language, the books would need translation; whilst for regions like the USA the size of the country complicates things significantly. USA is a huge market, but at the same time its a massive logistical nightmare and production too - you've got to have lots of warehouse space in the USA - perhaps in multiple reigons; you've got to produces masses of product and market and sell it. Lots of potential to go wrong.

GW does sell in the USA; but I don't think the company doing the magazines has as strong a market/experience in the USA. 

Privateer Press has been raked over the coils online for being completely unable to open proper shipping lanes in Europe.

GW made the recent effort of opening local stores throughout the US (I would know, our area has one with a 1/4 million locally). I would think an offering like this through those stores (local pickup), might be more feasible.

In fairness to PP they opened up trading in the UK then BREXIT arrived to cause all kinds of shipping problems. But PP's issues go deeper including quite a few odd choices all at the same time - culling their own forums; removing their PG system (invaluable for any game company that doesn't have their own stores*; an edition change to 3.0 that wasn't quite as smooth as it could have been - which has also ahd a knock on effect that they are now abandoning their "cards in the box" policy which was once one of their biggest selling points that you got all the rules in the box - no need for a new battletome or app to get rules for your brand newly released model. They also had a messy experience going with plastics for mass market producing which didn't end particularly well; though they've settled on a new more popular production system and chain (I think its mostly mixing metals and resins)

PP has been raked through the hot oils of some bad choices and some other issues (the PG was sparked by Wizards of the Coast volunteer staff suddenly realising that they were owed pay and rights by virtue of state laws - which led to a horrible mess and PG were in the same state). Though I understand that they've got a new CEO now and also recently moved their head office (the region they were in basically went up-market over the years so their rent and operations costs went way way up). I really hope PP pulls it together; they've some great models and ideas and it would be a ssore shame to lose them. 

*basically everyone except GW

22 hours ago, Mcthew said:

The Spanish site has a more comprehensive overview of what's on offer, and I must admit going premium on this is very tempting...

I have subscribed to the premium offer. I've started painting last march, going death but not NH, so this fits me well. I'll be subscribed to the premium at least until the sylvaneth extras.

The stormcast will remain there, for if my kid wants to paint (he's 9 and started painting elves and sylvaneth, but he has fancier hobby options for now so he's going very slow).

12 hours ago, Lucio said:

Overall, you won't save any money. You could achieve similar armies by investing £32 a month in the hobby for the 2+ years it takes to get everything via a regular trade seller who offers a bit of discount.

On fauxhammer the roughly analyzed the promo photo and they said the contrary, as long as you are interested in these 2 armies, and only counting minis, not even taking into account paints, brushes and all the other extras.

https://www.fauxhammer.com/news/warhammer-mortal-realms-full-army-images-revealed/

12 hours ago, Bueno said:

Any chance you can translate to English?

Premium means you pay 1,5€ more on each number after number 5 (so from 6 onwards) and you get it delivered at home (monthly, 4 numbers in one packet) instead on post office, and you also get the extras shown on the screenshot: FEC on month 7, Sylvaneth on month 11, and so on. For instance, you pay 6€/month for 5 months, meaning 30€, and you get the Archregent, 3 crypt horrors and 20 gouls. 4 more months at 6€ (24€) to get drycha, the revs and the wych (and 4 paints)...

You can unsubscribe at any time (no problems here with Salvat) or change to normal subscription. I red somewhere that on Conquest the premium subscribers got offers for extra boxes for really low price, but cant remember....

Edited by Chikrit
further info

12 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

Privateer Press has been raked over the coils online

12 hours ago, Overread said:

PP has been raked through the hot oils of some bad choices

any more suggestions? we sure they haven't been snaked through the boils? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Lucio said:

Also bear in mind that Hatchette have absolutely terrible customer service, with the 40k version, the Customer service team and Community team had to step in on several occasions to resolve missing or forgotten orders

Yeah I agree. I had an issue with my cancellation where I requested it, cancelled the direct debit and then they started sending me debt letters. I had to escalate to GW themselves and surprise surprise it got resolved. 

I'm also suspicious of the fact you can sign up to join on the website, but have to manually email and get a manual response to cancel. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Probably worth mentioning that we now know the contents of a few more issues past #5, useful for folks who'll be picking up the occasional issue: https://www.fauxhammer.com/featured/mortal-realms-magazine-contents-list-issues-1-80/

#6: Thorns of the Briar Queen

#7: paint and a shade

#8: SC ballista and Kantor Blue paint

#9: 3 sequitors and 2 castigators

#10: Tomb Banshee and Khorne red paint

#11: a frame of the Sigmarite mausoleum

1 hour ago, mojojojo101 said:

Honestly everything about it is pretty appealing to me, only thing holding me back is Hachette.

Never had any interaction with them before but from what I can find online they are nothing but trouble. I just dont have the time and brainpower to deal with crappy CS these days.

This.

I have zero problems with them with my Judge Dredd they did a couple of years back. They went out of their way to fix the only issue I ever had and even then that was nothing more than a delivery not being stopped from going to my old address in time. They even sent a replacement book for a book that I had no idea had an issue.

However I took the 40k legends books out and they have been a nightmare to deal with. Been chasing them since last April to sort out my sub, books have not been arriving and only ever make it here when they send replacement parcels. I've not had a regular delivery since march. Kept paying for books as they kept saying that the problem was sorted (apparently the issue was books being sent to this country were being returned, yet they managed to get here fine when they sent replacements)

It's gotten so bad with them (Often a month goes by with out a reply and you have to public ask they respond to PMs on their facebook wall before they actually do) that I had went directly to GW, which had them emailing me hours later (hilarious).

Trouble is they (apparently) switched customer service companies and now I have to start the process all over again as the old CS obviously didn't pass my last emails to them along. 

I'd stopped paying for books ages ago now, but they still owe me either several books or a refund.

I've seen even worse horror stories on their conquest mag facebook, where they have sent debt collectors to people that stop paying as they were not receiving books.

If you can pick up copies of the mag in stores, grab as many as you want/need/can. But I'd advise anyone against taken a sub out. Take a look at the 40k conquest facebook page to get an idea of how hated Hachette are. Shame, as like I said, the Dredd book was superb and I thought they were pretty decent back then.

8 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I have emailed hachette 5 times to ask them to change my address for Mortal Realms and got no response back at all

Only another 495 emails to go!

If you don't hear back then go direct to GW CS. It annoys them, you can hear it in there tone when they reply, but it does get you a response back much faster than any other way. I've spent most of the year chasing them on all their official channels (except by the phone, as the Irish CS number they gave out doesn't work). Gw will push your message on to hachette, saying they have no direct control over them, but hachette answer back within hours when going via GW.

I've even seen stories of GW CS taking over the problem completely and getting it solved for people.

It shouldn't be this way and I can see GW trying to put a stop to it but it's their name and products being mishandled. They have to step in if they want people to remain customers.

• Thanks 1