Favourite (visually) Warcry Warband

Kyriakin

Favourite (visually) Warcry Warband?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite (visually) Warcry Warband?

• Iron Golems (scuba ones)
    • Untamed Beasts (ones with furs and a lion)
    • Splintered Fang (snakey ones)
    • Corvus Cabal (birdy ones)
    • The Unmade (weird torn-flesh ones)
    • Cypher Lords (spartain-geisha ones)

I especially like splintered fangs, corvus cabal and Untamed beasts because of the Conan vibe they have.

I'm huge fan of Howard's Conan which is why I'm sold on them.

I'm definitely going to roleplay the untamed beasts trying to stop a dark ritual from the splintered fang in some ancient and forsaken temple in the middle of a desert. Or from the corvus cabal on top of a mountain, in some sort of nest-like hideout...

Fun times ahead

• Like 2

If I had to rank all six it would look something like this

1.Corvus Cabal

2/3. Splintered Fangs/Cypher Lords

4/5. Unmade/Untamed Beasts

6. Iron Golems

This isn't to say that I despise the Golems, I just love everything else. I know my buddy who plays vicariously through me loves the look of the Golems, so I am hoping I can use his opinion to convert him once the starter is inhand. 

• Like 1

1/2 Splintered Fangs/Untamed Beasts

3/4/5 Corvus/Unmade/Cypher lords 

6 Iron Golems

Splintered Fangs are my favorite. I love the aesthetic, and I hope we see some more stuff in line with it.  

Really, the only one that feels a bit lackluster is the iron golems. I think with all the cool models that are KO style, they could have done a lot more cool stuff with the Iron Golems. They just seem super generic. 

Not a huge fan of any of them personally... but if I had to choose it would be the Corvus Cabal. 

Untamed Beasts  are fairly generic barbarians. I like the Underworlds Oathsworn barbarians better. Don't like many of their poses. They seem to have taken "heroic scale" to the next level.

Splintered Fangs are cool except the main snake priest guy doesn't fit with the rest of the warbands gladiator feel. They just don't look like cultists to me. They almost look more Idoneth Deepkin than chaos cultists. 

Iron Golems,  generic armored guys. I like that there's variety in body types and gender but don't like a few of their poses and I don't like their helmets.  head swap could go a long way to giving them some more personality. 

Unmade, generic guys with masks.... i dunno. I like their lore, the leader is weird but I don't mind him/her. However the miniatures for the basic guys are just super plain. They have faces on their belts and that's about it.   

Cypher Lords feel like Kairic Acolytes with different masks. I like the poses but other than the masks (which I don't like) the rest of the miniatures are very plain. 

Corvus Cabal have the most personality, detailed sculpts and all look like they go together. 

i'm a huge fan of the unmade and the cypher lords - i feel like both warbands would make excellent 40k cultists, and both really expand what chaos looks like

as for corvus and splintered fang, i like some of the figures in each set, but some of the others i feel don't fit at all (looking at you hooded snake dude)

iron golems seem alright, but some of their poses are a little wonky

and i don't like the barbarians dudes from ghur at all! more of the same bloodbound-style stuff that bores me to tears. more weird chaos, less overly-muscled brutes!

Corvus Cabal dudes are my favorites! Nothing can touch the winged dude and the boss lady they just look epic.

I like the Untamed Beasts because they look like stone age barbarians. 

The rest all have something I like but those 2 are my favorites. 

Oh! I love the Furies!!! Wish they were a full warband...

I think they are all really great in their own way. Personally the only ones I am not a fan of are the Cypher Lords, not to say they aren't really nice models, they just don't appeal to what I like aesthetically (the plumes are too over the top for me).

It looks like I'm in the minority but my favorites are the Iron Golems and the Unmade. I voted for the Iron Golems because I love their brutal looking cudgels and really enjoy the design of their armor.  I appreciate how "grimdark" the Unmade are. You really get the sense they are devoted Chaos worshipers.

If I had to rank them:
1. Iron Golems

2. Unmade

3. Splintered Fang

4. Corvus Cabal

5. Untamed Beasts

6. Cypher Lords

GW really knocked the design and aesthetics of the models out of the park though. Each warband has a very different vibe to it and is easily distinguishable from the others.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the scale will be right to kitbash with necromunda gangs? I think my wife could get into a femanarchist band of escher/corvus bird-punks. Cawdor and delaque also seem like they could be ideal if you want to paint robes not toned cultist bodies. 

Also, to actually stay on topic... Corvus is my favourite, very much like old world norscan tzeentch followers. I think iron golems have some under appreciated potential, especially for a nurgle feel with those single eye helmets and lots of corroded metal effects. 

Edited by Dr Ben
More on topic
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I went with Iron Golems for favorite though mostly that's because they also get a Chaos Ogor and a Chaos Dwarf. It was a close call with Splintered Fang and the Unmade. I'm not really a fan of the Corvus warband, the stilts just seem silly to me.

1 hour ago, Dr Ben said:

I think iron golems have some under appreciated potential, especially for a nurgle feel with those single eye helmets and lots of corroded metal effects. 

Depending on their rules I might include them in my Nurgle army. Red paint aside, the first thing I thought when I saw their helm was Nurgle.

I like the Iron Golems. The variety in body types is great. Plus there is a dwarf wearing beard armour! How cool is that! Pretty happy that they are one of the warbands in the starter set. At first I didn't like the Untamed Beasts but they've grown on me as I look at the models more. I think I'll paint mine with some blue and white, Braveheart style, Gaelic warpaint.

14 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Depending on their rules I might include them in my Nurgle army. Red paint aside, the first thing I thought when I saw their helm was Nurgle.

Yeah me too! Some of the helms are very reminiscent of Blightking heads. Could make some great blightking conversions with the kit, perhaps. Plus all that metal would look great with veregris and/or rust effects. Too bad all their intestines are on the inside instead of hanging limply past their groin where they should be.