The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Ehhhhhhhhh. The first one seems like it's just there to officially replace Lotann, I don't know why you'd ever choose it over exploding hits unless you've got some other exploding hits effect going.

Otherwise he's fine I guess, though really heavily focused on Thralls. Reavers get minimal benefit from this guy.

14 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Looks pretty good. They could have omitted the reroll ones to hit ability, because it seems to be generally inferior to double taps, although I suppose you could stack them if you wanted to.

The real question is whether Namarti Thralls will finally get that 2" reach at some point or whether they will continue to suffer from their 32mm bases and the new coherency rules.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Looks pretty good. They could have omitted the reroll ones to hit ability, because it seems to be generally inferior to double taps, although I suppose you could stack them if you wanted to.

The real question is whether Namarti Thralls will finally get that 2" reach at some point or whether they will continue to suffer from their 32mm bases and the new coherency rules.

If it offers any hope, Daemonettes were changed for a very brief time when Wrath and Rapture came out, so let's hope Namarti get a change too despite not being a new model.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

You could also take a Soulscryer with Curse to get exploding 6's aswell...

Not sure investing that much into Thralls is a good idea, at least with their current scroll.

Edited by mojojojo101
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don’t see a use for the Thrallmaster. He is a support piece that’s supposed to fix a disfunctional unit. So one basically pays double to get use out of Namarti Thralls.

You‘d basically have him running around locked in at the -1 Aura. 🤷🏼‍♂️
unless they‘ve also changed Namarti I don’t see how the addiction of this Model helps the army.

4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I don’t see a use for the Thrallmaster. He is a support piece that’s supposed to fix a disfunctional unit. So one basically pays double to get use out of Namarti Thralls.

unless they‘ve also changed Namarti I don’t see how the addiction of this Model helps the army.

It doesn't, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion they've made no changes to Thralls without confirmation either.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Apparently, that's kinda what he is. A disgraced, exiled noble who didn't feel like putting up with the rigid Idoneth social rules. So I guess the look is about right.

He's clearly the Jason Momoaquaman. He even do Haka dance with the namarti before fighting phase 😄.

He missed the magnificient beard and hair tho...

1 hour ago, Maogrim said:

He doesn't look like an Aelf to me. More like an angry hooligan with a prison sentence straight out of Jason Momoa's Aquaman. 

Now that’s an elf I’d expect to break a pool cue over me for accidentally touching his a pint of bitter in the pub. I’m here for it, honestly.

Decent background too, not just a slave driver but something with a bit more freedom (while still being an Idoneth noble).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Hard to say without a full warscroll. Even if he's halfway decent on his own he could be appealing. Reavers are already very good and can have surprising output in melee. While this guy isn't going to justify thrall spam, he lends support to an already good unit in reavers and may very well be an interesting choice.

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

Reavers are great at the moment...

The problem that needed to be addressed is that 99% of all lists are just eels. The issue is that there is no Isharann worth running over an akhelian general. This hero isn’t going to change anything, the best list is still just eels.

• Confused 2

I am just going to stupidly defend the new character. I think that current Namarti will continue to not see any real competitive play and that this guy does not alleviate that fact in the slightest, only a massive change to rules or points would likely resolve their issues... but for people that have reavers and thralls from the start collecting set, battle forces, or just in their collection, this guy presents an opportunity to build varied and fun lists for memorable gaming experiences. If having a hero buffing your weaker units gives you the inspiration to cut them off the sprue and give them a paint job, I am all for it.

But the truth is we don't know what is coming in the new tome maybe Namarti will become extremely useful in ways we don't expect or eels will become too expensive or loose battleline options. A change to armour saves and the ability to make them battleline changed Stormcast Paladins dramatically and the same logic could apply here. I have my doubts but I think he is a cool model and will at least make people try out different builds for Idoneth even if it is short lived.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, KingGatorboy said:

The problem that needed to be addressed is that 99% of all lists are just eels. The issue is that there is no Isharann worth running over an akhelian general. This hero isn’t going to change anything, the best list is still just eels.

Seems you are little outdated, best lists spam reavers now not eels 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I feel there's a bit of a disconnect in the discourse here, so just to clear it up;

Namarti Thralls are widely agreed to be in a bad spot. 

Namarti Reavers are one of the best performing Idoneth units currently. 

A -1 to-wound bubble is nice, though it being combat only does raise the question of whether this character is best used as a bandaid for Thralls or if it's a legitimate support option. If Thralls get the 2" weapon range they've needed since forever in the new book then this new character will almost certainly have a place. 

17 minutes ago, Aleser said:

Seems you are little outdated, best lists spam reavers now not eels 😅

Well, eel spam hasn't been viable since 2nd edition. The notion that IDK players are still spamming eels is outdated and those players probably just haven't played IDK in a while. But reaver spam isn't exactly the default best choice. IDK are in a pretty good place as far as internal parity with a few exceptions. Good lists can incorporate reavers, sharks, ishlaen guard, turtles, and other bits and pieces to taste. Morrsarr are pretty outclassed by other choices though, I'd rather take sharks.

7 minutes ago, Orbei said:

Well, eel spam hasn't been viable since 2nd edition. The notion that IDK players are still spamming eels is outdated and those players probably just haven't played IDK in a while. But reaver spam isn't exactly the default best choice. IDK are in a pretty good place as far as internal parity with a few exceptions. Good lists can incorporate reavers, sharks, ishlaen guard, turtles, and other bits and pieces to taste. Morrsarr are pretty outclassed by other choices though, I'd rather take sharks.

True, I really like state of book now I hope new book will not change that :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Apparently, that's kinda what he is. A disgraced, exiled noble who didn't feel like putting up with the rigid Idoneth social rules. So I guess the look is about right.

This guy's lore feels like it was written with Path to Glory in mind. Thematically, he's the perfect pick for an independent leader looking to increase his fame and grow in power.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Not wrong about the rank-and-file nature of the ogre plastics (which moreover makes them very hard to convert into more dynamic poses) but the finecast minis really are desperate. I remember the initial reaction, Yhetees were considered dated upon release and people have been groping around for alternatives for a decade and a half.

Same for sabretusks, “they look like muppets” was a common and justified response (and not even the good sort of muppet like with the gnoblars). Gorgers are fractionally less bad despite their identical pose syndromes, and with butchers the incredible ability of the old Ogre Kingdoms battalion box to provide conversion bits was sort of an escape valve for people’s desire for a replacement, but they’re still rough.

Wouldn’t say no to new ogre infantry plastics, a lot of the faces in the range are rather same-y in this day and age, but I’m comfortable calling the ogre finecast minis some of the ugliest in any GW range, maneaters excluded. Skaven have their own problems but at least some of their overpriced resin minis are Jes Goodwin classics.

I honestly couldn't agree with you more mate. Yehtees and Gorgers are in dire need of updating and they could look absolutely stunning as modern sculpts with an AOS twist.

Frost Sabres again look super dated, look at Hrothgorns from Underworlds just to see the start difference in them, the originals face is almost indistinguishable.

The Butcher if it is indeed the one to get replaced this Edition definitely needs it. Its hands down the ugliest model GW currently produces. And I'm an Ogor fan!!

3 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I like the artwork. Very gritty.

YLpH7JfhScbpaPF8.jpg

This is absolutely gorgeous, I love it!!