The Rumour Thread

Looking at the Beastgrave pics ... do I see some maw tokens on the board? Wouldn’t that be a somewhat new mechanic, placing hazards on the board? The pic on my phone is tough to zoom all the way but they don’t look like objectives to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saiken said:

Realistically speaking, what are the chances that we get new ungors based on those sculpts ? 

They look lovely, and they quite put current ungor to shame. 

We didn't get new clan rats, skeletons, or moonclan grots... I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, madmac said:

I honestly feel like something totally derailed Darkoath behind the scenes, like the whole faction concept got eaten up into Warcry and the release shifted back a year.

I agree, though when you compare the style of some of the Warcry bands with the darkoath models there is a clear difference in style. I wonder if darkoath were seen as a bit cartoony, so they decided not to go that direction with a large scale release. 

I feel like at somepoint the tone and focus of aos changed. If you compare sequitors with liberators the newer models certainly seem a bit more grimdark. 

Re: responses to my original comment. The real proof of whether kurnothi are a one off for shadespire or the precursors of a new faction will come in the warscrolls. With Zarbag's we saw a lot of new keywords that previously didn't exist, madcap shaman, loonsmasha fanatic etc. 

If kurnothi have multiple new keywords I think we can expect them as a launch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

There are other gods in the background, but I've never seen anyone say that some sort of new Grungni dwarves are coming, but as far as I can see the Light and Shadow aelves don't have any more substantial mentions in the lore than the followers of the other Dwarven god. If there is something more substantive I'd be very interested to hear what it is.

I mean, this version of AoS is centered around the Soul Wars. pretty central to the Soul wars is Slaneesh, and the siphoning of Aelf souls by Tyrion, Teclics, Malerion and Morathi.  We have already gotten Khinerai, Melusai, and Idoneth Deepkin out of this.  The Idoneth were an early attempt with flaws. Presumably they kept trying and successfully created new aelves from this that are something different. 

In the recent  Realmslayer audio drama, Gotrek sees a "Priestess robed in White and blue with a tall miter and crescent moon staff bedecked with symbols of Hysh" and says "I think I've just discovered what's gone wrong in this world"
The battlesmith with him says "I don't understand... it's just a priestess of Teclis"
Gotrek is familiar with Teclis, and the aelves of the old world, so there are for sure some Hysh aelves in the mortal realms that are somehow different. 

That's obviously just one mention, and they are mentioned else where.  
Will they get an army in AoS? Probably. Soon? Who knows. 

My point is, You compared them to dwarves. Dwarves are not currently central to the storyline in AoS. The Soul Wars are, and the pulling of Souls from Slaneesh is a major story point. It's not going to be surprising if more comes from that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

The beast elves look pretty stupid. The fish elves also of course look extremely stupid. My prediction would be that whatever the light elves end up being will also look stupid, but the shadow elves will look sort of cool.

Well, according to the core book, shadow aelves looks terrible😂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Grontik said:

Looking at the Beastgrave pics ... do I see some maw tokens on the board? Wouldn’t that be a somewhat new mechanic, placing hazards on the board? The pic on my phone is tough to zoom all the way but they don’t look like objectives to me.

Nightvault came with ‘chasm’ tokens but they were barely used. It would make sense for these maws to have more of a presence given the setting of this series. 

1 hour ago, Grontik said:

Nightvault came with ‘chasm’ tokens but they were barely used. It would make sense for these maws to have more of a presence given the setting of this series. 

It looks like the new Dreadfane box has interactive terrain rules so maybe that's a vision of what's coming in Beastgrave. 

Personally speaking I've fallen out of love of playing Nightvault but still love the models. 

I'd welcome a complete new rule set for Beastgrave with all previous cards being cancelled...but I'm not sure many would feel the same way! 

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

I agree, though when you compare the style of some of the Warcry bands with the darkoath models there is a clear difference in style. I wonder if darkoath were seen as a bit cartoony, so they decided not to go that direction with a large scale release. 

I feel like at somepoint the tone and focus of aos changed. If you compare sequitors with liberators the newer models certainly seem a bit more grimdark. 

Re: responses to my original comment. The real proof of whether kurnothi are a one off for shadespire or the precursors of a new faction will come in the warscrolls. With Zarbag's we saw a lot of new keywords that previously didn't exist, madcap shaman, loonsmasha fanatic etc. 

If kurnothi have multiple new keywords I think we can expect them as a launch. 

That is actually quite an interesting theory. Althrough, when we look at the releases in chronological order, we have a Grimdark Warqueen, Toony Nightsvault Warband and now even more grimdark Warcry Warbands.

I really disliked the Nightvault Warbands design, it looked like a range made for younger players that started with the Warhammer Adventure Books, yet they were not packed with Mollog in the "Young Players Shadespire".

But yes, I would also assume that there was some decision behind the scenes. Yet, it seems that anyone in the rumour department was fired as we didn´t had any leaks for ages, so we can only wait

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, adreal said:

Really like the beast elves, hopefully they expand them into a full faction release

Community reveal article phrases it as such:

Meanwhile, Skaeth’s Wild Hunt offers us new insights into the Mortal Realms with our first look at the Kurnothi – aelf-like creatures with a savage style of their own.

First look suggests more looks are coming.

• Like 7

Love Beastgrave. New Beastmen look great but they do leave me feeling slightly disappointed that Beastmen weren’t given a little more love when they got their Battletome. 

Kurnothi also look pretty cool and it would be nice to see a full army release. Wonder how they fit into the lore? It says “aelf-like” rather than aelf which is interesting but potentially nothing. 

Just remember that GW could be using both Underworld and, to a lesser extent*, Warcry to add small subfactions to the game to flesh out the realms aspect, without having to commit to armies in full.

Otherwise GW is going to have to make aleves, dwarves, undead, stormcast, beastmen, ourrks for each of the 8 realms. That's a LOT of factions! 

*Warcry units have been balanced in terms of actual troop additions to AoS and thus whilst they are a bit more creative/dynamic than standard troops, they are at least built to function like them. With the right auras/boosters from in-faction abilities they might well work great as flavourful themed forces that compliment a core force.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Love Beastgrave. New Beastmen look great but they do leave me feeling slightly disappointed that Beastmen weren’t given a little more love when they got their Battletome. 

Kurnothi also look pretty cool and it would be nice to see a full army release. Wonder how they fit into the lore? It says “aelf-like” rather than aelf which is interesting but potentially nothing. 

The beastgrave models barely do anything to the existing aesthetics of the beastmen - the poses are ever so slightly more dynamic, but most of the details fit right in with the old models. 

7 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Holy goatmen this is everything I didn't know I wanted! I'm really digging the Kurnothi and I'm very interested to see how they're expanded in AoS proper, it'd be great to see more beasties like that lion in the army as well. Now the new aelves are cool and all but let me just say those beastmen are absolutely stunning and to me this says that eventually GW are actually going to come back and give the factions that have ancient sculpts some brand spanking AoSified new ones.

• Like 3

Not sure about the choice of red hair as it looks a bit close to Fyreslayers. I can see they are going for an Autumnal palette here. Interesting to see how close the Beastmen are to the current range in appearance.

I think maybe we have an issue in the community where we go on about about old miniatures just because they are old. What matters is that the models are good and that they fit in with the current range. I'd struggle to imagine better models for the current Ungors, Gors and Beastigors. They are really, really nice. These new Beastmen would fit in with the older models perfectly.

Edited by Greyshadow
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

What matters is that the models are good and that they fit in with the current range

I wholeheartedly disagree. The first part is subjective and the second part isn’t true for me at all. Because while 

I do care if they fit in, the rule of cool is more important. For example I’m currently painting up old dwarf daemon slayers and they definitely don’t fit in with the AoS dwarfs. The proportions are all wrong in comparison, they are designed to be slightly comical and they should be the biggest and baddest but are smaller in stature than arkanauts. Still the best models I painted and even seen up close all year... to me.

Painting them is a joy, they look good in my eyes, I like the goofy proportions and over the top design. But a lot people wouldn’t consider them good, nor do they fit in with the recent dwarf designs. 

16 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

I think maybe we have an issue in the community where we go on about about old miniatures just because they are old.

When I read the above sentence I kind of think you might mean the nostalgia some people have for the old mini’s? (Genuine question) 

Lovely models, but did they have to call them "Kurnothi"? We already have Kurnoth Hunters and Kurnoth himself. People who aren't intimately familiar with all of this will be confused whether you're talking about giant tree people, a woodland god, or beast-elves. That aside, I just don't think it's an interesting name.

• Thanks 1