The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Most of that sounds like guesswork and wishlisting. 

Even more so as there is no mention of kislev which we know they are working on. 

Kislev is niche faction and obviously nobody is going to release Kislev first. They can work on kislev yes, like you know, making a concept art etc. IF you want profits you are going to release your most popular factions.

43 minutes ago, dnusha said:

Kislev is niche faction and obviously nobody is going to release Kislev first. They can work on kislev yes, like you know, making a concept art etc. IF you want profits you are going to release your most popular factions.

That's just makes it sound more like guesswork and wishlisting tbh. 

10 hours ago, Beliman said:

That's exactly what I expect.

Better warscrolls overall integrating some of their abilities in their basic stats and profiles. I expect to see a lot less interactions based on slingshots and/or wombocombos, and I hope to see Maggotkin with a gameplay a bit more accurate to their lore.

Btw, I'm not worried by this design, the game is enough bloated with rare interactions.

Yeah, I am not seeing all the doom and gloom over the new battletomes I loved what we got from Stormcast and Orruk Warclans. I do not imagine Nurgle getting worse and overall I find streamlined rules overall much better. Furthermore, most of the issues stemming from Stormcast seem to come from redundancies within the army and so likely wont be an issue for Nurgle which has a lot more room for each unit to fill an invaluable niche. My only complaint with the upcoming tome is a lack of Pesitgors which I was banking on to an unbelievably high degree. 😢

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

That's just makes it sound more like guesswork and wishlisting tbh. 

Exactly. "Ignore everything they've previewed and shown so far! Obviously they'll lead with the fan-favorite stuff they've barely mentioned!"

The Old World hasn't actually been in development that long, and literally the first thing they chose to preview was Kislev. Cathay coming a little later I can see, but I can't see them having extensive new model ranges ready to go ahead of the one that they had far enough along to show off a few months after the whole thing was announced.

Also, if we're talking business, ToW is partially marketing towards long time fans, who likely already have armies for Empire, Chaos, etc. The financial benefit of putting out Kislev and Cathay or anything else new is that no one is going to pass on it just because they've already got 5000 points of Kislev and Cathay laying around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

I keep reading that and I don't know if it's an intentional double negative.

They're saying, "they can't no longer bring new editions every three years", which would mean "they have to bring new editions every three years. Or they meant "they can no longer bring...", which would mean an end the three year edition cycle. Even with the context, I can't tell if they're saying "they're no longer capable of 3 year cycles because of covid" or "they can't help themselves but to release 3 year cycles, even with covid".

Personally I do hope time between editions increases - I don't think AoS has settled long enough as a game to see where the best place for it would be, and would probably need another 4 years at least to see what the next best steps would be. 

I assume the double negative is by accident - mostly because there's a thousand ways to be clearer had they intended to say "GW has to release a new edition every three years" and mostly seems like a typo someone does in a hurry/isn't fluent in English. I think context also aids in this situation - GW isn't in such dire straits it needs a new edition every three years, but covid messing schedules up definitely affects any tight planning!

3 hours ago, dnusha said:

there was some info about ToW and situation in GW after/during pandemic.gZ3gywU.jpg4TfQS8j.jpg

I've really been looking forward to TOW so knowing I'll have to wait one and half years before release stings - but glad to hear things are churning forwards. I never expected to see Cathay, Chaos Dwarfs, Vampirates, Kislev or Dogs of War but after years of release (if ever!), but it's good news to know the basics are coming back.

I'm curious what the community here thinks about main studio involvement - hopes that we'll return to the golden age? Fears AoS will be affected? Indifference?

Having re-read Tamurkhan: Throne of Chaos recently, I marvel at the sheer love oozing out of it. The art, the design of the book itself with faux-weathered pages and attached notes to the story...you feel like a Witch Hunter perusing an ancient cursed tome! I hope we'll see more works akin to that attached to TOW. Campaign books would do it good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

Yeah, I am not seeing all the doom and gloom over the new battletomes I loved what we got from Stormcast and Orruk Warclans. I do not imagine Nurgle getting worse and overall I find streamlined rules overall much better. Furthermore, most of the issues stemming from Stormcast seem to come from redundancies within the army and so likely wont be an issue for Nurgle which has a lot more room for each unit to fill an invaluable niche. My only complaint with the upcoming tome is a lack of Pesitgors which I was banking on to an unbelievably high degree. 😢

Well you do have to remember that there are 18(!) different heroes for maggotkin (including Fecula but not including all of the Slaves to Darkness or Forgeworld heroes), a number of which were only taken in the current book for use in batttalions or for their command ability. With both of those gone there is absolutely a huge space for redundancy in the army.  I'm all for streamlined rules as well, but I'm having trouble believing that GW will put in the work needed to make more than a scant handful of the heroes actually have a purpose.

Also remember that of the very few non-hero units, only Blightkings and Plague Drones were any good for the vast majority of 2nd edition. Beasts were totally useless before the recent re-work and Plaguebearers were pretty so so until their recent changes and improved support. Nurglings and Blightlords still have no real purpose in the army. Even with so few units GW still can't seem to make everything viable.

Maybe the new book will be better, but honestly I'm pretty jaded at this point. It pretty much leaves me in a holding pattern where the army I most want to work on right now is also a complete unknown and I'm stuck waiting for the new book (and subsequent FAQ) before I have any idea of how things will work. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I mean Orruk Warclans was a good example of what we can expect, we had an example of a good transition, an average one, and a terrible one.

• Ironjawz: 10/10 nothing of value lost, interesting new builds, better designed roles for the units, good internal balance, good competitive potential
  • Kruleboyz: 5/10 cool new faction with some neat tricks, lots of overly restrictive rules, terrible subfaction balance, questionable internal balance, some heroes fail to find a niche, restrictive listbuilding, maybe some competitive potential
  • Bonesplitterz: 1/10, pretty much exclusively lost abilities with little to make up for it, terrible subfaction balance, poorly pointed, nerfs to solid units turning them mediocre. Limited competitive potential.

I know I'm being a bit hard on bonesplitterz here, the icebone and wurrgogg ability is definitely good, but those don't really open up new strategies like the old battalions did and so the army as a whole just feels like it had a chunk carved out of it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I've really been looking forward to TOW so knowing I'll have to wait one and half years before release stings - but glad to hear things are churning forwards. I

Frankly, that sounds too soon based on how I've read the updates.  Haha.  Hoping for the best though!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Exactly. "Ignore everything they've previewed and shown so far! Obviously they'll lead with the fan-favorite stuff they've barely mentioned!"

The Old World hasn't actually been in development that long, and literally the first thing they chose to preview was Kislev. Cathay coming a little later I can see, but I can't see them having extensive new model ranges ready to go ahead of the one that they had far enough along to show off a few months after the whole thing was announced.

Also, if we're talking business, ToW is partially marketing towards long time fans, who likely already have armies for Empire, Chaos, etc. The financial benefit of putting out Kislev and Cathay or anything else new is that no one is going to pass on it just because they've already got 5000 points of Kislev and Cathay laying around.

I think you underestimate peoples willingness to 'rebuy' armies with modern sculpts. 

Look at how successful Primaris are, or even how often you see old plastic Chaos Marines despite the new ones only being out for about two years. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Frankly, that sounds too soon based on how I've read the updates.  Haha.  Hoping for the best though!

I thought this... "Bad news, it's not coming till 2023" ... That's good news to me as I expected more like 2024!? Especially previewing models mid 2022. That's not actually that far off.

4 hours ago, Higolx said:

Not quite yet Id say. Sure, thats a lot of warscrolls dont get me wrong, but we havent reached the levels of marines where we have had 5 extra space marine books that are chapter specific just this edition, not even counting all the other ones on the last edition. Until we start seeing Battletome: Hallowed Knights and such I still say we have yet to reach marines levels of favoritism.

Are SCE AoS' poster army? Yes, no doubt. At least GW thinks so. Are they marines (getting chapter specific books before armies get update, their own tab on the GW store as if they were their own Grand Alliance)? No. Not yet at least. Maybe in the future, who knows? But not now.

Also no new stormcasts for 3 years since 2018 till this year. (one Gardus well)  

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

I mean Orruk Warclans was a good example of what we can expect, we had an example of a good transition, an average one, and a terrible one.

• Ironjawz: 10/10 nothing of value lost,

I found fighting in the hero phase pretty valuable, along with some other things like traits and armor, but yeah they at least got some things to make up for it. 

9 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I would have predicted the next AoS release to be an update to a Gitz without a large model release attached. But we could see two books and a dual box, with one side getting a more major number of models. If so, I my bet would be on IDK or Nighthaunt, due to recent rumours and rumour engines.

Depend because the next AoS release that likely to happen is in January usually a mid to large size release. I would assume that since we haven’t had a big model release since dominion/SCE/Kruleboyz which bar delay was suppose to be release in August, the next release should be model heavy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

Depend because the next AoS release that likely to happen is in January usually a mid to large size release. I would assume that since we haven’t had a big model release since dominion/SCE/Kruleboyz which bar delay was suppose to be release in August, the next release should be model heavy

Fingers crossed for this mate. Itll be very interesting to see which Faction or Alliance is next on the list!!

I suspect the same "rumour" source who made up the Heresy rumours recently is broadening his field based on success, it feels off on a few levels others have pointed out, but also, High Elves were known to be the highest selling Warhammer army (im told) so its odd they would be left out of the "no brainers" list.

the OG four armies where Empire, Chaos, Greenskinz, and Dwarfs i believe so that probably why the rumor said those 4 armies first. but then again Faeit 212 is a bit of a wash when it comes to rumors, they often time regurgitate random rumor and eventually the one that correct usually sticks

Side note: also I never notice this until now but apparently they canceled the Hammerhal herald and took down all of them on the community page, there hasn't been a new one on facebook for almost a whole year now. they use to be good teaser of what to come in the future but i guess covid ****** the schedule they decided not to do it anymore.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

Side note: also I never notice this until now but apparently they canceled the Hammerhal herald and took down all of them on the community page, there hasn't been a new one on facebook for almost a whole year now. they use to be good teaser of what to come in the future but i guess covid ****** the schedule they decided not to do it anymore.

I don't understand why they couldn't at least keep the old ones up even if they'd put them on an indefinite hiatus - you don't see regimental standard getting deleted because of covid delays. I mean, this isn't a big deal, Hammerhal Herald just gave nice flavour to the setting and losing it just gives vibes that AoS always plays second fiddle compared to the golden boy 40K—despite being the better setting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I'm curious what the community here thinks about main studio involvement - hopes that we'll return to the golden age? Fears AoS will be affected? Indifference?

It does make me nervous about AOS, I've said multiple times it doesn't feel like GW is fully committing to AOS. Main studio getting TOW, with no indication that GW expanded its main studio with new workers, would be an actual confirmation of that fear.

28 minutes ago, novakai said:

Case in point- something else from AOS that disappeared with zero explanation from GW. 

edit: discontinuing something as small as the Herald isn't the issue, it's removing everything to do with the Herald that is more concerning IMO.

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 6