The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Looking at these new Warhammer animations, it's a shame that AoS doesn't have anywhere near the fan content behind it.

AoS is obviously more popular than Fantasy and still increasing in popularity, but it's a shame that nearly all well received non-GW Warhammer material is 40k or Fantasy. It's like, despite Fantasy hardly having any players (or at least buyers) of the core game, the world itself remains popular in the cultural zeitgeist. Whereas AoS sells models, but hardly has a popular footprint outside of GW Warhammer fans. 

I hope this changes soon. It feels like AoS has a lot of passionate fans about the models and battle reports, but you rarely see cosplays or full on larps, or good video games, or in depth lore discussions. Much of this is due to time, but 6 years is a substantial amount.

I feel the same way, but they do mention two more yet unannounced series in the article, which gives me (probably false) hope. Also, the little media starter video thingy (I don't remember name) has a stormcast in it, so at some point they do plan on AoS series/media. They probably just want to check the ground qith something safer and more popular - 40k, and then if everything goes according to their plan, they can do AoS

Edit: only just realised You meant fan content, which we do indeed lack even more, which is obviously a shame

Edited by GenericEdgyName
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

It's a suprise, I thought he'd already turned them down on the basis that he was making ridiculous money off his combined normal animation job and the patreon for Astartes, and that GW couldn't even come close to matching that. I do hope they upped what they were offering rather than browbeating him into submission.

Yeah I really hope that's not the case too. Been thinking on the announcement and reading some comments and man, really really hope it wasn't a case of "join us or we sue."

I am very disappointed the YouTube videos have been taken down. Hopefully they will be back up with WTV logo etc. And to be fair there was copyrighted music so of course that has to be changed. 

Just watched the uploads on Warcom and I didn't think it was that bad but the music added in (unnecessary) parts completely changed the atmosphere. Not to mention that this shortens its reach considerably, especially when one of the best outcomes of the project was the attention it received from non Warhammer fans. 

An off topic rant so that's all I'll say but just really hate the thought that someone's talent is being restricted. 

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

AoS is obviously more popular than Fantasy and still increasing in popularity, but it's a shame that nearly all well received non-GW Warhammer material is 40k or Fantasy. It's like, despite Fantasy hardly having any players (or at least buyers) of the core game, the world itself remains popular in the cultural zeitgeist. Whereas AoS sells models, but hardly has a popular footprint outside of GW Warhammer fans. 

I hope this changes soon. It feels like AoS has a lot of passionate fans about the models and battle reports, but you rarely see cosplays or full on larps, or good video games, or in depth lore discussions. Much of this is due to time, but 6 years is a substantial amount.

Yes, AoS is definitely growing as a game, and is getting great support from GW, but the back when Mordheim and Fantasy 6th edition was released, fantasy (and the grimmer lore) were very popular. Most of the people creating content now probably grew up exposed more to the old world  than the mortal realms.

There are still large, active Facebook groups for Mordheim and old Fantasy, with some manufacturers creating new models for the old games (Heresy Lab).

Another factor is that the old world is very similar to most other fantasy worlds and doesn't need much explanation to new people. Whereas the Mortal realms is a little stranger, with multiple gods and renamed fantasy races (troggoths, duardin, selves, orruks). For video games, where the player may not be familiar with Warhammer fantasy or AoS, the old world would be a more familiar jumping off point.

Like my father would have a fair idea what a dwarf or troll is, a duardin or troggoth takes some explaining.

Edited by MarkK
More text
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

Looking at these new Warhammer animations, it's a shame that AoS doesn't have anywhere near the fan content behind it.

a lot of this seems to be because the Old World is pseudo-Earth, which is both unsurprising and frustrating: AOS brings so many new and needed ideas to fantasy, but because it doesn't rely on overdone tropes people don't want to take the effort to get into the lore.

i do blame GW for the lack of AOS video games, and while I think they could greenlight more AOS novels the books are piling up at least. It's like GW will take certain "risks" but is not willing to invest all the way into AOS yet

• Like 3

Yes i dont get how stupids are the ceo of gw. How heck they hope that aos be popular and get more people when aos get a 10% of the marketing that 40k get.

Also dont help when new people get attracted to the fantasy game of gw and not 40k with the great videogames as totalwar or vermintide but when they go to a store to buy his fantasy army.......they find that fantasy is gone and all the heroes died,and they must play to other game called aos,that have a diferent lore than the game that they have played,and havent the same armys(or they must play cripled versions of that armys as citys)

Aos would be so much more popular if we get any game as totalwar:age of sigmar that i cant believe how the gw ceo dont see this

Also new animated series.....and we get as allways 999999 for diferents teletubies of marines and 1 tau and 1 dark eldar but 0,0 for aos...

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Large corporations routinely gobble up and ruin small creative teams. Hopefully the animators are being appropriately compensated, but I highly doubt they'll be given the creative freedom they once enjoyed. GW are infamously protective of their property. You can't tell me there isn't going to be at least one corp-head leaning over their shoulders, occasionally chiming in to tell them they need to include or omit this that and the other.

But I'd rather be wrong.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Mortal Realms Issue 1 Contents

3 easy-to-build Sequitors (10 RRP)

10 easy-to-build Chainrasps (£25 RRP)

6 Dice

Plastic Inch-Ruler

Paper Battle Mat

I couldn't resist to build some thematic armies: Got mines today. At 2.50€, it is a steal! I'm now the general of 18 sequitors and 60 chainrasps. Next issue is 4 easy-to-build Myrmourn Banshees ,Corax White ,Starter Brush : will take 2 or 4. Thee are some real steals in this collection. I'm thinking about the Venator for example. Love the mini. 2 builds. Only 10€. 

I hope that in the future, GW won't do what they did with the launch of AoS 2 (making previous mini worse). But I'll enjoy my armies.

Ooh, has mortal realms come out in France then?

3 hours ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

An off topic rant so that's all I'll say but just really hate the thought that someone's talent is being restricted. 

There is a school of thought, with which I agree, that imposed limits lead to more creative results. Add in the completely valid concerns over copyright (not to mention the just purely moral consideration of doing the right thing), and I'm all in favor of what's going on.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

Thats what happens when you essentially delete 30 years of lore on a whim. Its fascinating really. To see just how much damage a couple of suits did to the IP in such a short amount time. We are still feeling the ripples of the End Times fiasco. 

40k has some extremely talented writers too though. And that never hurts. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sleboda said:

There is a school of thought, with which I agree, that imposed limits lead to more creative results. Add in the completely valid concerns over copyright (not to mention the just purely moral consideration of doing the right thing), and I'm all in favor of what's going on.

Oh absolutely, I had no idea the music was from Dredd haha. Just wish they kept the silent parts silent, it had more impact. 

So exciting though to see what awaits. 

I'm sure we will see AoS in media eventually. I would love. Absolutely love, to see some depictions of the Realms. Not even the cities as such, but just the lands themselves. The plains, mountains, lakes, forests. I want to know what the Realms actually look like and how each changes the closer to the edge you get.

One day ey. 

You know it may just be wishful thinking on my part but I think the sacrosanct stormcast eternals will be a part of the Be'Lakor broken realms book.

In the miniature reveal video the army shot shows Be'Lakor and his daemons fighting sacrosanct stormcast (two Lord Arcanum miniatures). Secondly, the promotional video for Be'Lakor features a female sequitor laying the beatdown on some pink horrors.

Since they seem to be a reoccurring part of all things Be'Lakor here's to hoping they will at least be part of the story if not receiving some nice new rules.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 9.25.23 am.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

" They're the same thing as dwarfs and trolls"

My point being that most of the general population knows what they are, only someone that knows what Warhammer is, and further knows what Age of Sigmar is, and reads into the lore knows what a duardin is. 

It's not as easily accessible as what fantasy was; dwarfs are stout, greedy people that live in mountains, elves are haughty and look down on everyone, trolls live in swamps, etc.

• Like 1

GW would have been well within their rights to have gone ahead with legal proceedings against the animaters using their IP and in some cases making a profit doing so. 

So fair play to GW for taking them on board, I look forward to seeing what comes next. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ogregut said:

GW would have been well within their rights to have gone ahead with legal proceedings against the animaters using their IP and in some cases making a profit doing so. 

So fair play to GW for taking them on board, I look forward to seeing what comes next. 

They have also partnered with Disney, right?

Allowing fanmade material that you could legally crush isn't really Disney's way.

Complete creative freedom is nice, but you can’t eat creative freedom. I think it’s great for the animator he got a paid job out of his fantastic animation. If you want to make a living in te creative industry you know you often have to work with the demands of your employer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, elfhead said:

Complete creative freedom is nice, but you can’t eat creative freedom. I think it’s great for the animator he got a paid job out of his fantastic animation. If you want to make a living in te creative industry you know you often have to work with the demands of your employer. 

Oh, I do think employing the person that's good at animating your stuff is a good idea, but there are other considerations at play as well.

13 hours ago, MarkK said:

Like my father would have a fair idea what a dwarf or troll is, a duardin or troggoth takes some explaining.

9 hours ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

" They're the same thing as dwarfs and trolls"

8 hours ago, MarkK said:

My point being that most of the general population knows what they are, only someone that knows what Warhammer is, and further knows what Age of Sigmar is, and reads into the lore knows what a duardin is. 

It's not as easily accessible as what fantasy was; dwarfs are stout, greedy people that live in mountains, elves are haughty and look down on everyone, trolls live in swamps, etc.

I have the strange feeling AoS is the rare case where people refuse to use the names given to the races.

I mean, if you are in the Lord of the Ring lore, you would use "Hobbit" instead of "halfling", "Uruk-hai" instead of "halforc"? in germany the elves are called "Elben" instead of the normally used "Elfen".

Or when you look at 40k their were Squats instead of Dwarfs. (but also Eldar and Dark Eldar is used more often than Craftworld Eldari and Drukhari).

Duardin, Aelf, Orruks or Troggoth have the same right to be used in AoS as Hobbit and Uruk-hai in Lord of the Rings + we don't know if their could be another Orc or Troll based race in the future, that maybe isn't called an Orruk or a Troggoth.

Edited by EMMachine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

I have the strange feeling AoS is the rare case where people refuse to use the names given to the races.

I mean, if you are in the Lord of the Ring lore, you would use "Hobbit" instead of "halfling", "Uruk-hai" instead of "halforc"? in germany the elves are called "Elben" instead of the normally used "Elfen".

Or when you look at 40k their were Squats instead of Dwarfs. (but also Eldar and Dark Eldar is used more often than Craftworld Eldari and Drukhari).

Duardin, Aelf, Orruks or Troggoth have the same right to be used in AoS as Hobbit and Uruk-hai in Lord of the Rings + we don't know if their could be another Orc or Troll based race in the future, that maybe isn't called an Orruk or a Troggoth.

It's also the only place where it is relevant, to me. The rest just uses the common names.

Tolkien calls the Sindar also Wood elves, for instance, so it can be used interchangably. Not sure why the German translation differs.

Also note that using Eldar for 40k elves isn't that inspired. Tolkien uses that as the "People of the Stars", the elves that did go to Valinor.

If there ever comes a reason to use the longer form, I might, but AoS naming convention is overly long already, with almost every faction having at least one superfluous word.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Very true, I think in time people will just use the new names, particularly as newer players start, they won't have had any experience of the older game, which AoS is very much a continuation of. 

I imagine 40k probably had the same issue when first launched, being fantasy in space, with all the normal fantasy races renamed and given a change of clothes, but after over 30 years the names stuck. As you say, dark Eldar and imperial guard are still used even though the names changed around 2014. 

Personally, I don't really mind the change to race names, and makes sense in the lore given that the inhabitants of the mortal realms wouldn't have any connection to the old world. Humans are still Humans in AoS though.

I probably wouldn't have changed the race names, the new faction names would have been sufficient on their own. It makes no difference to the story if a Kharadron Overlord is a Duardin or a Dwarf, the bigger difference is whether the dwarf is a Kharadron or a Fyreslayer.

• Like 4

I think the naming is just an age thing. I still refer to Duradin as Dwarfs, Ogors as Ogres, Astra Militarum as Imperial Guard, not because I consciously do so but because those are just the names I associate with those models/fluff - no matter how you swing it, Dispossessed models being 100% WHFB Dwarfs will do that. A sizeable chunk of people got into AoS coming from WHFB, whilst newcomers won't have any prior attachment to those names beyond the initial "oh they're AoS Dwarves" and are more likely to use the new names.

• Like 8

I think even most people coming afresh to AoS quickly see pretty easily just how ugly 'orruk', 'ogor' and 'troggoth' are. Like lazy transliterations or badly mangled pronunciations, as though these are AoS's unique IP races (do not steal!) with a figleaf of distinct corporate nomenclature. 

Expecting folks to adopt them outside of GW-prescribed settings is like expecting people to earnestly embrace 'hyoomans' as a term, they're an order of magnitude worse than 'Uruk-Hai' or anything else in fantasy fiction/games. The fact that the answer to "what is a troggoth?" is "literally just a troll" shows the lazy disposability of these names, even by GW's low standards.

'Duardin', ok, that does have a better ring to it, like this is what the dwarves call themselves. 'Aelf' is borderline but it has that Old English feel. Those may well catch on but not the others.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

It's also the only place where it is relevant, to me. The rest just uses the common names.

Tolkien calls the Sindar also Wood elves, for instance, so it can be used interchangably. Not sure why the German translation differs.

Also note that using Eldar for 40k elves isn't that inspired. Tolkien uses that as the "People of the Stars", the elves that did go to Valinor.

If there ever comes a reason to use the longer form, I might, but AoS naming convention is overly long already, with almost every faction having at least one superfluous word.

The german translation differs because the english language doesn't have a word for "Elben", there are only elves. Tolkien, as far as I know, worked very closely with the german translator and requested the word "Elben" instead of "Elfen" (elves), as "Elben" has no connection to pixies, fairies and the like. 

So he very much liked the differentiation that was/is possible within the german language. If anything, everyone should be using the word "Elben".

• LOVE IT! 1