The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, silverstu said:

Yeah that "rumour" leak doesn't add up as much as I'd like it to. New KO and more dwarfs-yes please [although I'd like them out of cities]. It all doesn't quite sit right- like two much info. The big 40k leak was the exception, generally big leaks are bobbins..

Looking forward to the Advent rumour engines and the Christmas/new year reveals! 

Meaty fingers crossed for some Mawtribes Rumour Engines and reveals!!

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

This is exactly the problem. In the beginning, Space Marines were the bluntest implements of fanatical, fascist and xenophobic empire. 

Now, they are portrayed as heroic and perceived as cool, but that original depiction from back when 40k was satire still remains. This means that GW is in an awkward spot where they want their washed space marines to be the good guys, but that just doesn't work without also glorifying that original fanatical, fascist and xenophobic empire, because it is still the same empire.

The only bit of writing that seems to keep that satire is the Regimental Standard, and it's the only bit of 40k writing I enjoy.

Do you think depictions of medieval knights also need to stress their negative characteristics? What about depictions of war in general? Depictions of revolution? What about depictions of organized religion, or depictions of state-enforced atheism?

In other words: does depiction equal endorsement? 

Also: does something being cool mean it's endorsed? Darth Vader looks cool and is cool, but is still the villain. Chaos looks cool in all its incarnation, yet still the villain. Dwarfs look cool, and yet veer between arch-conservative patriarchies fueled by racism and culturally-lauded hatreds who proudly genocide their enemies based on oft-spurious slights to steampunk mega-capitalists. And they're still good guys. Do you find them as terrible as space Marines?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

51 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I can sort of see how it could work but I agree. I feel that Silent People would belong in Destruction, the 'Neutral' Faction.

Yes, Destruction first. But also maybe Order - highly structured social insect swarms/hives/colonies but completely indifferent or hostile to traditional Order folk. Most anything can be wrangled into Chaos.

But Death? Unless they are somehow undead? But then where are all the living insectoid people before they became undead?

• Like 1

Ok, here's my fanfiction theory on how the silent people could fit into death alliance

Basically, through shadespire. Now, my knowledge of underworlds is very limited, but as far as I know, shadespire and nightvault both got kind of merged with beastgrave - the home of silent people. What if the silent people awakened and found the secrets of necromancy, useful to increase the number of their swarms after their slumber, in the shadespire and used it to unleash armies of freaking. Zombie. Bugs. upon the mortal realms

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

Yes, Destruction first. But also maybe Order - highly structured social insect swarms/hives/colonies but completely indifferent or hostile to traditional Order folk. Most anything can be wrangled into Chaos.

But Death? Unless they are somehow undead? But then where are all the living insectoid people before they became undead?

1 hour ago, GenericEdgyName said:

Ok, here's my fanfiction theory on how the silent people could fit into death alliance

Basically, through shadespire. Now, my knowledge of underworlds is very limited, but as far as I know, shadespire and nightvault both got kind of merged with beastgrave - the home of silent people. What if the silent people awakened and found the secrets of necromancy, useful to increase the number of their swarms after their slumber, in the shadespire and used it to unleash armies of freaking. Zombie. Bugs. upon the mortal realms

If Silent People are Death I could see it being in that they are dried Husks and therefore 'Dead', the recent flow of Life Magic from the Everqueen has erupted throughout Beastgrave and any other subterranean location or wherever the Silent People nest and has given life again to these husks. Perhaps a few Drones have been 'alive' this whole time, these being the ones we have heard of and with the Life Magic their 'Queen' has awakened to spawn more of the Swarm.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

If I were to make a guess from that warscroll, blightkings no longer have exploding 6 on hit and instead have 5 attacks by default (which I honestly prefer, since fishing for 6s is always a pain).

Should give more hits on average as well (about 17 vs the current of around 15). Also native rend 1. Pretty big improvement so far, but obviously we need to see the rest of the scroll and their points value. If they stay at 4 wounds and get a more consistent healing they could be pretty impressive.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Deepkin said:

Do you think depictions of medieval knights also need to stress their negative characteristics? What about depictions of war in general? Depictions of revolution? What about depictions of organized religion, or depictions of state-enforced atheism?

In other words: does depiction equal endorsement? 

Also: does something being cool mean it's endorsed? Darth Vader looks cool and is cool, but is still the villain. Chaos looks cool in all its incarnation, yet still the villain. Dwarfs look cool, and yet veer between arch-conservative patriarchies fueled by racism and culturally-lauded hatreds who proudly genocide their enemies based on oft-spurious slights to steampunk mega-capitalists. And they're still good guys. Do you find them as terrible as space Marines?

This doesn't translate well to shaping a satirically exaggerated fascist empire into the good guys, which is a path GW's writing is going into.

As far as what my interests are, religious space fascist super soldiers rate between soap series and the ingredients lists of a can of beans (but isn't relevant to the discussion).

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Maybe that should belong to the Unpopular Opinion threat, but here I go:

Warhammer is just a product to sell (and make some profit for the company) and to have FUN. 

They designed the setting to be over the top, really hard to be believable and a bit stupid sometimes. Some people will say that there are a lot of satirical points in the construction of the setting, and they are probably right. That's done on purpose by GW, as they pointed out on Warhammer Community yesterday.

The adventures, books, comics, campaigns, RP-books or any sideproduct based on that setting are not there to point out how bad, ironic, satiric or whatever is that setting, they are made as a products to earn money becasue they are/should be FUN for the consumers (us!). Some of them are going to have some value added like positive messaje for the readers or players, others will have awesome world building or a new perspective for the story that we didn't know about, but that's another point.

Imo, if people can't separate fictional worlds based on satirical settings from real stuff, that's people fault.

Note: As a fan of Slashers/Monster Movies/ Horror movies, I don't need anyone, not even the director, to remind me that the movie is fiction, that there aren't people dying in my screen and I will continue cheer for the monster every time it kills some random dude/girl. Btw, I reject any act of violence and I'm not crazy appart from buying lots of plastic that i will never paint.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Maybe that should belong to the Unpopular Opinion threat, but here I go:

Warhammer is just a product to sell (and make some profit for the company) and to have FUN. 

They designed the setting to be over the top, really hard to be believable and a bit stupid sometimes. Some people will say that there are a lot of satirical points in the construction of the setting, and they are probably right. That's done on purpose by GW, as they pointed out on Warhammer Community yesterday.

The adventures, books, comics, campaigns, RP-books or any sideproduct based on that setting are not there to point out how bad, ironic, satiric or whatever is that setting, they are made as a products to earn money becasue they are/should be FUN for the consumers (us!). Some of them are going to have some value added like positive messaje for the readers or players, others will have awesome world building or a new perspective for the story that we didn't know about, but that's another point.

Imo, if people can't separate fictional worlds based on satirical settings from real stuff, that's people fault.

Note: As a fan of Slashers/Monster Movies/ Horror movies, I don't need anyone, not even the director, to remind me that the movie is fiction, that there aren't people dying in my screen and I will continue cheer for the monster every time it kills some random dude/girl. Btw, I reject any act of violence and I'm not crazy appart from buying lots of plastic that i will never paint.

Yup.  It says more about society today when you have to reinforce thats its just toy soldiers your making an selling.

anyway, did someone say chaos dwarfs?

• Like 1

Yeah, what's wrong with Space ****** Übermensch Supersoldiers as the elite of a literally fascist regime being the good guys and justified in their hate crimes against their own people and 'alien races'? 

I really don't get why this might be problematic and inspire right-wing real world Fascists to identity with their said Ubermensch super fascist faction and recnnect those to more familiar fascist ideologies..

Oh. Wait. I do. 

• Like 19

59 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

Yeah, what's wrong with Space ****** Übermensch Supersoldiers as the elite of a literally fascist regime being the good guys and justified in their hate crimes against their own people and 'alien races'? 

I really don't get why this might be problematic and inspire right-wing real world Fascists to identity with their said Ubermensch super fascist faction and recnnect those to more familiar fascist ideologies..

Oh. Wait. I do. 

I take your point but is it really Games workshops responsibility? Radicals of all varieties latch on to so many different things and that doesn’t make the original product evil because bad actors decide to adopt it. You can’t police every persons thoughts all over the world. 

Edited by Vomikron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Seriously, that GW has to state this ****** is pathetic for absolutely every side. If fiction that uses bad ideas to create a setting or tell a story needs to justify itself for it, we're heading down a very difficult an amazingly stupid road that would have to result in the destruction of a ton of great books.

If you see radicals as something other than clowns, you're doing it wrong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I highly doubt anyone has become attracted to the ideas and ideologys of the extreme far political right from reading GW fiction. 

Yes, they may have been hobbiests before being indoctrinatied and see the fiction in a new light but the sad truth is, there are many angry, dispossessed and vulnerable people who become acolytes to speakers of hate and misinformation to which the Internet has given a platform to. 

As to space marines being protrayed as heroes I don't see a particular issue with it, after all everyone sees themselves as the hero of their own story. 

I bet even the extremely small minority of people poisoning the hobby with their far, far right (or far, far left for that matter) political ideas see themselves as the speakers of truth and champions of light. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I bet even the extremely small minority of people poisoning the hobby with their far, far right (or far, far left for that matter) political ideas see themselves as the speakers of truth and champions of light. 

The so called horseshoe theory of far right and far left being equally bad and dangerous has lost its merit in Western societies of the 21st century if you ask me. Sure, radical leftists cause lots of property damage and that's not an okay thing to do... But they don't plant bombs or storm buildings with the intent of killing people. Historically speaking this has been different, as with the RAF ('Rote Armee Fraktion' in Germany in the 70s. But today right wing extremists are far, far worse.

And I don't think that GW should drastically change their narrative, but I personally love that they took the time to contextualise the lore in regards to fascism, and especially that they took a stand and spoke out instead of trying to quietly sweep it under the rug. So let's give them credit where credit is due.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 2