The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

After giving up hope on new models, My plan was to unload my many many unpainted Seraphon, and work on other projects over the next few years awaiting new models.   Now they rope me back in! 

The rub is that Stegadons are $60 and web store only, and they were already super rare on ebay, so it's quite a commitment to a single list style.  But man it sounds awesome. 

Yeah, viability of the list aside, Stegadons are in a sense the single most expensive Seraphon model to try and mass, and they aren't trivial to assemble and paint, either.

I think personally this convinced me to buy a single additional Steggy to go with my Engine of the Gods. I've kinda wanted a basic shooty steggy for a while anyway, and the Skink chief is also something that is now hard to pass up. Undecided on shooty vs burny though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

200 points for $60usd is not terrible. It's not Gotrek or Nagash levels of points/$ value, but it's not as bad as witch aelves!  Plus it's a great kit  that is super intricate. 😒

Gyrocopters at 3 for 180 pts and €120/$150 I think are a bit worse. With a few chariots for battleline and a Privateer general, they rival Skaven Acolytes in €/pts.

Scourge privateer €20

3*3 Chariots €315

8*3 Gyrocopters €960

Aetherwings €30 (only come with Stormcast afaik)

Edited by zilberfrid

25 minutes ago, madmac said:

Yeah, viability of the list aside, Stegadons are in a sense the single most expensive Seraphon model to try and mass, and they aren't trivial to assemble and paint, either.

I think personally this convinced me to buy a single additional Steggy to go with my Engine of the Gods. I've kinda wanted a basic shooty steggy for a while anyway, and the Skink chief is also something that is now hard to pass up. Undecided on shooty vs burny though.

It's a really fun kit to magnetize.  I magnetized my first for all possibilities (the skinks have pegs on the bottom of their feet instead of magnets)
I am looking forward to my second one though just being able to pick 1 build and focus on painting it as well as i can. Not to worried about which one to pick. I'll just get a third one later=P.

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

BTW, 8 in a 2k points army means that it is super cheap (in points), making me speculate that it is super NOT cheap in €£$...🤔

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

I suspect it's no coincidence that between 2 very similar sized/priced kits Stegadon/Bastilladon, ONE was chosen for battleline, and the OTHER was chosen for the start collecting box. 😒

I know I'm reading a bit into your comments, but I think there are some good reasons to consider that aren't conspiratorial or exploitative.

The first hinges upon the fact that the Stegadon is web store exclusive. While I don't exactly know why GW makes certain kits web store exclusive, I think it almost certainly has to do with supply issues. Otherwise there just isn't much reason for GW to not have a kit easily available for third party retailers. 

So if we assume that for whatever reason GW is constrained in the amount of Stegadons that they can produce, they certainly can't be putting it in SC boxes and the like, which are both expected to be perennially available and likely the item that they most want carried by third party stores. Entry level boxes are perfect for stores with limited shelf space.

I also think (IIRC) the Stegadon box is substantially bigger because of the layout of the frames.  It may have the same amount of plastic as the Bastiladon, but the Steggie is in one of those long boxes while I think the Bastiladon is not. That might also factor into the decision of whether the kit can be in a SC box or not. Clearly some "big sprue" kits are in SC boxes, but it might depend on what else is in there.

The second is a gameplay consideration. The Stegadon box is incredibly versatile, with options to be built as a caster/support type, a leader or a "basic" version with multiple loadouts. As a kit, it's a perfect candidate to be a situational battleline option as it enables a list like "Stegageddon" to actually function and be perhaps somewhat interesting to play. A Bastiladon only army wouldn't have a leader option would just involve spamming only two options. It's just not nearly as attractive as a kit for this purpose. 

It's not unlike comparing the scraplauncher kit to the thundertusk/stonehorn kit. You can build an entire army out of the latter kit, and that army will be able to do a bunch of different things. Building an entire army out of the ironblaster/scraplauncher kit would be extremely boring. 

I think these two arguments in combination provide a compelling reason for why the Bastiladon is in the SC box but the Stegadon is the "build an army out of me" option.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

It's not unlike comparing the scraplauncher kit to the thundertusk/stonehorn kit. You can build an entire army out of the latter kit, and that army will be able to do a bunch of different things. Building an entire army out of the ironblaster/scraplauncher kit would be extremely boring. 

I think these two arguments in combination provide a compelling reason for why the Bastiladon is in the SC box but the Stegadon is the "build an army out of me" option.

Between the Scraplauncher and Stonehorn kits, which one is in the SC box? 😃
I did not think about the fact that Stegadon uses "full" size sprue. It's a good point, and you are right is probably a big consideration as to why one is webstore only and one isn't (only so much shelf space for tall boxes).  However, I'd argue that this is one reason Stegadon should be in the SC box, because Bastiladon is already available from retailers! 
Stegadon is also 33% more sprue than Bastiladon, so this may also be a factor.

Anyway, Stegadon is already out of stock in both the UK and US, for who knows how long. so I'm glad I ordered my 1 new kit this morning! 

3 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Well, we know how many points the list is... 1970. and in addition to 7 Stegadons it has a Bastilladon (which is currently more points than a Stegadon).
So a Stegadon is probably ~200-240, depending on loadout, with the Chief probably costing more, who knows about EoTG.  

200 points for $60usd is not terrible. It's not Gotrek or Nagash levels of points/$ value, but it's not as bad as witch aelves!  Plus it's a great kit  that is super intricate. I hope a 1000pt list is viable so I can start on a second Stegadon. 

I suspect it's no coincidence that between 2 very similar sized/priced kits Stegadon/Bastilladon, ONE was chosen for battleline, and the OTHER was chosen for the start collecting box. 😒

Sylvaneth SC has two kits in it which can be built a total of 5 ways though

Branch Lady 1 or 2

Treelord, TLA, Durthu

FEC can build pretty much everything on their entire roster with theirs etc. 

It's not as though GW deliberately make the contents of a SC niche.

Edited by Nos

Just now, Nos said:

Sylvaneth SC has two kits in it which can be built a total of 5 ways though

Branch Lady 1 or 2

Treelord, TLA, Durthu

Most SC boxes are similar. And both the Bastiladon and Stegadon can be built multiple ways.   There are a few things to consider when trying to figure out non-nefarious reasons GW would chose one kit over the other. Perhaps the Bastilladon kit is considered slightly easier to build, or fewer options which makes it less confusing (Stegadon kit will likely have 4 warscrolls now). Or perhaps its the big sprue / half sprue thing.   You also have to keep in mind that "well the Sylvaneth SC has" argument is not really very good, because in the last  4-5 years the business strategies could have changed. It is better to compare recent releases. 

Give us the option to run feral (i.e. unridden) Carnosaurs and I'm totally starting a Seraphon army. Sounds like such a cool and fun army style. And man, Bastiladons in particular with +2 wounds and -1 to damage are going to be scary as hell. 

Edited by Jaskier

20 minutes ago, Jaskier said:

Give us the option to run feral (i.e. unridden) Carnosaurs and I'm totally starting a Seraphon army. Sounds like such a cool and fun army style. And man, Bastiladons in particular with +2 wounds and -1 to damage are going to be scary as hell. 

One has to think that this means some of the other abilities are changing (such as the reroll everything battalion). Bastiladons with 10 wounds, unrendable 3+ reroll able save, -1 damage against and a 4+ MW shrug would be a huge NPE, perhaps moreso than mortek guard.

Edited by swarmofseals

A rumour courtesy of warhammer weekly. It seems that we may be seeing new minis for Daughters of Khaine and Slaanesh later this year. Maybe we will finally get those Slaanesh mortals. Tom also mentioned the rumour about giants playing football with objectives and said that Teclis will be the best spell caster in the game. 

Warhammer weekly Tom does know people with inside info but he has been massively wrong in the past so it’s just a rumour for now. 

Those upcoming releases do make sense though especially if gw wants to develop the Slaanesh escaping storyline. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

A rumour courtesy of warhammer weekly. It seems that we may be seeing new minis for Daughters of Khaine and Slaanesh later this year. Maybe we will finally get those Slaanesh mortals. Tom also mentioned the rumour about giants playing football with objectives and said that Teclis will be the best spell caster in the game. 

Warhammer weekly Tom does know people with inside info but he has been massively wrong in the past so it’s just a rumour for now. 

Those upcoming releases do make sense though especially if gw wants to develop the Slaanesh escaping storyline. 

I've heard very similar things about Teclis, and honestly it would be fitting for him. If he ends up being a better caster than Nagash, it will almost certainly come at the expense of staying power/damage output at least relative to the hat-daddy - just like how he was back in Warhammer Fantasy (though I imagine not quite so frail!)

• Like 1

I hope Chaos factions won't receive anything more this year... The others alliances needs more love to be in equal level than Chaos is actually in AoS meta. It's very boring see all the options and news they received in the past 12 months and after that look at any other alliance...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Well, we know how many points the list is... 1970. and in addition to 7 Stegadons it has a Bastilladon (which is currently more points than a Stegadon).
So a Stegadon is probably ~200-240, depending on loadout, with the Chief probably costing more, who knows about EoTG.  

200 points for $60usd is not terrible. It's not Gotrek or Nagash levels of points/$ value, but it's not as bad as witch aelves!  Plus it's a great kit  that is super intricate. I hope a 1000pt list is viable so I can start on a second Stegadon. 

They might have a batallion or something else they don't want to reveal now. But if the warscrolls are updated/upgraded plus additional layers of alligiance abilities ontop etc. it makes sense for the units to increase in cost. 

The new Seraphon SC box looks VERY good, assuming the current playstyle of Thunderquake + mass Skinks is still a thing. Anyone wanting to get into Seraphon will likely want 2, which seems like a great base. I really dislike SC boxes that are one-of purchases because half of the stuff will be a waste if you buy an extra.

My only complaint right now is that they teased the "Stegageddon" 😂. Stegs are already sold out everywhere in EU, including UK retailers and GW. So now it will be even harder to "just" get 2 Stegs for the release. 

My only complaint right now is that they teased the "Stegageddon" 😂. Stegs are already sold out everywhere in EU, including UK retailers and GW. So now it will be even harder to "just" get 2 Stegs for the release. 

It is just a matter of time: generally a week or so... I recently had to purchase few GW exclusive minis, several times, but each time while the army was hot (meaning fresh out of a new battletome) and each time, the miniature was out in less than a week, except once, I waited just 10 more days. Those were mostly resin. The stegadons are plastic. The army is super fresh: I'm suspecting GW going full production rate on this one to make a big stock. 

Don't worry, you'll get the stegs next week or the week after.

But if you are not in a hurry, my bet is that one of the christmass battleforce will be Seraphon with stegs....