The Rumour Thread

Just now, michu said:

They are available to download from Warhammer Community site along with Chaos Cults.

Oh nice, I need to look that up. But my original point still stands that it's not uncommon for GW to dump semi significant rules in White Dwarf, and now with the added bonus that they may drop for free later once that issue isn't available for general purchase.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Could be total coincidence, but these two do look pretty similar. They're not the same model, but it may add credence to this being some other Slaanesh model (as we already know they're coming).

20181211_174227.jpg

received_488643908210183.png

Great catch, fits almost perfect. I'd say it's likely Slaneesh. Though troggoth is also a pretty good guess! Definitely don't think it's Seraphon, not scaly enough to fit that aesthetic.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Great catch, fits almost perfect. I'd say it's likely Slaneesh. Though troggoth is also a pretty good guess! Definitely don't think it's Seraphon, not scaly enough to fit that aesthetic.

I wouldnt rule Seraphon out. Look at the larger scales, they peak more then the rest kinda like skink spines. Also the tag mentions they went more secretive for this one and we know slaanesh is coming. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

I wouldnt rule Seraphon out. Look at the larger scales, they peak more then the rest kinda like skink spines. Also the tag mentions they went more secretive for this one and we know slaanesh is coming. 

Those are good points, and I don't necessarily disagree, it could be referencing that the grater daemon of slaanesh is the Keeper of Secrets

On 12/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, JPjr said:

I swear somedays we're like the ancient Romans in this community, all gathered around trying to divine the future from some unfortunate creature's entrails.

Sounds like another new army. 

*I hope my comment spawns a BoLS and SpikeyBitz baitclick article and I get some ad revenue. :P

19 hours ago, Overread said:

Slaanesh strong possibility

After that its anyone's guess. 

I wouldn't be surprised for another Aelf release, particularly tied into Slaanesh. 

15 hours ago, Nos said:

Slaanesh ain’t coming for a while yet. ...Marvel built up to Infinity War over ten years rather than release everything within a year of each other for a reason.

Haha well no. 

On the Marvel comment don't forget that was an entirely different product and market. AoS needs a faster turn over at least of battletomes for currently released armies. The product is already on the shelf it just can't, as easily, be used nor marketed. It means money is sitting there ready for selling and isn't selling. Plus the confusion it creates reduces appeal and uptake potential of the game.

AoS is selling strong; take away the confusion and bring in more Battletomes and you increase sales potential; increase actual sales and uptake of the game and likely recruit more old-world fans into the title as you make it more inclusive of those armies who alreadyhave models in peoples collections.

Those people are thus more likely to buy more and buy into the new game and also to be there to be opponents and guides to new gamers picking up the game for the first time. So its a win-win for GW and there's no real reason for them to want to delay Battletomes intentionally.

Totally new armies they likely will stagger just to fit them into production lineups and so as not to swamp their own market too fast with too many new models. But also because releasing a halfdozen new models is a big and expensive undertaking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

I'm taking Scales + Heights + Moonclan tease + Destruction RISING  to say Skypirate Grots that will tie into the tome as an elite air unit.

Scales are on a flying Squig leviathan rode by a captain wearing that earlier rumor engine hint of a spiked helmet with a face on it.

This.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nos said:

Their release cycle Is timetabled well before things are hot or otherwise. I’m willing to bet that all of 2019 was planned early this year at the very latest. And because things have gone so well the past few years I think they will stake their trust in their future planning rather than reacting to trends. Nothing to suggest they need to change their approach in respect to how well it’s selling.  

While nothing is certain (ahem Brexit) I think their approach so far shows they’re playing the long game with AOS and are more interested in laying a stable foundation that generates its own success through investing in a solid foundation for the Mortal Realms and making that as rich and expansive as the Old World, rather than chasing the hits.  In essence they might miss out on a few No 1 singles as it were but they’re more interested in developing a record label.

I agree planning will be well in advance, most large organisations have a minimum of 10 year planned revenue stream (as stated).  I simply believe that gw will look to take full advantage of how the hobby is booming. Just my opinion though. 

• Like 2

In regards to the rumor picture, I think the caption is rather telling. But of course it's just my speculation.

"we’ve scaled new heights of secrecy in bringing you this one" = A new Keeper of Secrets, that is taller (higher) than the previous model, with some claw scales.

Either that, or a new Fimir.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 hours ago, novakai said:

They did the same thing when AoS 2 came out and said hey look this guy is good as an ally for ironjawz or bonesplitterz don’t forget about it. it still doesn’t Account for Leaving them in the dust for 5 months and counting

They’ve only been ‘left in the dust’ as much as many other armies in AoS. 

12 hours ago, Realmhead said:

Those are good points, and I don't necessarily disagree, it could be referencing that the grater daemon of slaanesh is the Keeper of Secrets

The hint says  "we’ve scaled new heights of secrecy in bringing you this one" 

-> Keeper of Secrets obviously :)

might also be misinformation to let people think it‘s slaanesh.🤷🏼‍♂️

though the scales do not match the Fiebd of Slaanesh Scales, they do look more Dragon/Seraphon like.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Overread said:

On the Marvel comment don't forget that was an entirely different product and market. AoS needs a faster turn over at least of battletomes for currently released armies. The product is already on the shelf it just can't, as easily, be used nor marketed. It means money is sitting there ready for selling and isn't selling. Plus the confusion it creates reduces appeal and uptake potential of the game.

AoS is selling strong; take away the confusion and bring in more Battletomes and you increase sales potential; increase actual sales and uptake of the game and likely recruit more old-world fans into the title as you make it more inclusive of those armies who alreadyhave models in peoples collections.

Those people are thus more likely to buy more and buy into the new game and also to be there to be opponents and guides to new gamers picking up the game for the first time. So its a win-win for GW and there's no real reason for them to want to delay Battletomes intentionally.

Totally new armies they likely will stagger just to fit them into production lineups and so as not to swamp their own market too fast with too many new models. But also because releasing a halfdozen new models is a big and expensive undertaking. 

They know what they’re doing better than anyone. They’re making money hand over fist.

It’s not a simple equation of if this, then that. Everything takes time and money. Money and time used to produce old world rosters into new Battletomes is money and time not being used on Stormcast, Slaanesh, new Aelves , Mortal Realm stuff basically, i.e the stuff that is unique and which strengthens the Mortal Realms IP. And as this rumour board proves, stretching out all that exciting new stuff over a long period and feeding just enough tid bits and scant releases to keep hope for its imminent release permanent locks in far more customers over time than the big immediate release you’re suggesting they need to capitalise on. 

Look, bottom line, Old World stuff wasn’t selling. They’re not going to take resources away from what is making them rich in order to serve people’s nostalgia and impatience.  The idea in particular that more people will buy models if they can use their existing ones is very odd. They might buy a few new models to supplement things sure. But not nearly as many models as they will if they have to play a whole new army. GW only cares about AOS as a game in as much as it sells their products. Given that it would be backwards of them to give more of that game and facilitating people use their existing stuff with only a fraction of the profit they would get if someone decided to buy a new army instead.

Meantime they’re using the existing New Hotness to sell whole armies to the most enthusiastic  and making sure  that the rest of the majority feel *something big* is imminent with releases like Wrath and Rapture to keep them involved in the License and it’s associated products. It’s not. But it will keep people engaged until GW has gotten the most out of its existing range at which point far more people will be around to buy the new New Hotness because they have been mesmerised by Hype. And at exactly the same time Slaanesh finally does get a big reveal there will be hints of something again (Malerion, Ruination Chamber etc), something that’s surely only around the corner....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DantePQ said:

It fits Malerion Dragon-Aelves but picture itself doesn't look very Dragon-alike. 

Probably something related to Destruction. 

Where do you get those Malerion Dragon-Elves?  Do you base them on old 'Malekith got fused with his dragon' rumour?  If yes please stop repeating it. It was something Spikey Bits /BoLS/some other unreliable source at that time started based on picture next to Malerion/Ulgu description and was never true and got debunked many times already. 

If you heard it somewhere else - please do share. 

Also: Mistweaver and Tenebrael Shard were either prototypes of how Dragon-Aelves would look like (and let me tell you there's nothing draconic about them) or they got scrapped and upcoming (hopefully at some point) Aelves of Malerion will look nothing like they do (and will actually be dragon aelves like on the picture but it's not something we know and managing expectations is key to not being disappointed later on)

Edited by Zerthin

2 hours ago, Zerthin said:

Where do you get those Malerion Dragon-Elves?  Do you base them on old 'Malekith got fused with his dragon' rumour?  If yes please stop repeating it. It was something Spikey Bits /BoLS/some other unreliable source at that time started based on picture next to Malerion/Ulgu description and was never true and got debunked many times already. 

If you heard it somewhere else - please do share. 

Also: Mistweaver and Tenebrael Shard were either prototypes of how Dragon-Aelves would look like (and let me tell you there's nothing draconic about them) or they got scrapped and upcoming (hopefully at some point) Aelves of Malerion will look nothing like they do (and will actually be dragon aelves like on the picture but it's not something we know and managing expectations is key to not being disappointed later on)

I'll look for the picture as it helps the discussion. But there is a general's handbook or something with a reference story about the elves from Ulgu with that piece of art that looked very draconian/gargoyle like. So nothing to do with merging with a dragon but the picture was definitely linked to the elves in Ulgu affiliated with Malerion. And Dragon-Aelves seems like a very good description to me ;) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eciu said:

Is it normal that all "old" dwarfs and all humans (including old time generals, prelate's etc.) are in "Free people" tab in the store?

GW did a rough clean up of factions without Battletomes to make the game more easily understood on the store front side of things. It's normal for now, even a lot of the Aelves are all grouped together. Most fully expect that as GW rolls out more Battletomes some of the now gathered forces will split out again into their own distinct factions.

Which ones and how they divide up is, just as before this change, totally unknown. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nos said:

They know what they’re doing better than anyone. They’re making money hand over fist.

It’s not a simple equation of if this, then that. Everything takes time and money. Money and time used to produce old world rosters into new Battletomes is money and time not being used on Stormcast, Slaanesh, new Aelves , Mortal Realm stuff basically, i.e the stuff that is unique and which strengthens the Mortal Realms IP. And as this rumour board proves, stretching out all that exciting new stuff over a long period and feeding just enough tid bits and scant releases to keep hope for its imminent release permanent locks in far more customers over time than the big immediate release you’re suggesting they need to capitalise on. 

Look, bottom line, Old World stuff wasn’t selling. They’re not going to take resources away from what is making them rich in order to serve people’s nostalgia and impatience.  The idea in particular that more people will buy models if they can use their existing ones is very odd. They might buy a few new models to supplement things sure. But not nearly as many models as they will if they have to play a whole new army. GW only cares about AOS as a game in as much as it sells their products. Given that it would be backwards of them to give more of that game and facilitating people use their existing stuff with only a fraction of the profit they would get if someone decided to buy a new army instead.

Meantime they’re using the existing New Hotness to sell whole armies to the most enthusiastic  and making sure  that the rest of the majority feel *something big* is imminent with releases like Wrath and Rapture to keep them involved in the License and it’s associated products. It’s not. But it will keep people engaged until GW has gotten the most out of its existing range at which point far more people will be around to buy the new New Hotness because they have been mesmerised by Hype. And at exactly the same time Slaanesh finally does get a big reveal there will be hints of something again (Malerion, Ruination Chamber etc), something that’s surely only around the corner....

I agree that the general idea of focusing on new stuff is more profitable. BUT, time and money ARE key and making just a battletome for older armies costs a LOT less than an entire new army. AND, it will make players who would never have even looked at those old factions suddenly take interest, so they may not sell new models to the old players (but they might still pick up some more anyways, to flesh out their now supported army) but people starting that army will buy a lot. Just look at Legions of Nagash and Beasts of Chaos. I would bet they made their money back and more by selling their battletomes and old stock that was sitting around. And I bet they can churn out a half dozen of those books in the time it takes to make 1 Idoneth Deepkin.

15 minutes ago, flamingwalnut said:

I agree that the general idea of focusing on new stuff is more profitable. BUT, time and money ARE key and making just a battletome for older armies costs a LOT less than an entire new army. AND, it will make players who would never have even looked at those old factions suddenly take interest, so they may not sell new models to the old players (but they might still pick up some more anyways, to flesh out their now supported army) but people starting that army will buy a lot. Just look at Legions of Nagash and Beasts of Chaos. I would bet they made their money back and more by selling their battletomes and old stock that was sitting around. And I bet they can churn out a half dozen of those books in the time it takes to make 1 Idoneth Deepkin.

This gets brought up a lot, im pretty sure GW staff are not ignorant of the opportunity, but its not appeared yet so they obviously decided their efforts (in terms of what has been released to date at least) will yield more profit elsewhere.  If people really want that type of battletome they need to email GW and show them there is a market for it.