The Rumour Thread

While I do enjoy the new Orruks I can't help but feel a bit betrayed too, it just seems somewhat not needed for them to be there, when the same effort could have been used to flesh out the Orruk warclans, both which has been heavily neglected already in 2nd edition.

I am thinking along the lines of what these new Kruul Boys bring to the table, this new box might as well have been warclans 2nd wave, with both some new ironjawz and updated bonesplitterz. It seems they are going for a darker tone though, and the old school orruks might have been too "funny" to fit this theme. 

They mentioned the new guys would be available for warclans, so I wonder what is planned wtih Orruks in general in 3rd edition, it seems to be a bit of a mess introducing a 3rd orruk faction, did we really need 3 different factions of orruks? The lead up to 3rd edition and ending 2nd with BR Kragnos seemed to indicate it was destros time to shine, and years of buildup with Gordrakk kind of turned into a wet ******, especially in the wake of Belakors success, nothing much happened in camp destruction in comparison. 

As something completely different, anyone else starting to get annoyed we can never even get a months advance roadmap or anything. This week to week release schedules and reveals is just super annoying, and it would be very very nice to be able to plan some vacation etc around hobby projects and events.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Slaves to darkness got 19  (3 in the start collecting) new kits in second edition not counting the god specific stuff that can be used. I’d love a season 2 of Warcry to do something similar for Cities of Sigmar. 

I would love this, however as the proud owner of the original Warcry boxset I can say that the Iron Golems and Untamed Beasts are only around for Rally the Tribe and Warcry itself. And even when they are rallied in it is usually to camp on objectives or to be a speed bump for enemy units.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

Yeah I’m not a huge fan with their model of weekly releases without any real roadmap, besides sometimes saying, “yeah they’ll be here in this month probably,” or, “some time in the coming months.”

At least they say that now though. I remember when they didn’t say anything about the release date. 

• Like 2

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

While I do enjoy the new Orruks I can't help but feel a bit betrayed too, it just seems somewhat not needed for them to be there, when the same effort could have been used to flesh out the Orruk warclans, both which has been heavily neglected already in 2nd edition.

I am thinking along the lines of what these new Kruul Boys bring to the table, this new box might as well have been warclans 2nd wave, with both some new ironjawz and updated bonesplitterz. It seems they are going for a darker tone though, and the old school orruks might have been too "funny" to fit this theme. 

They mentioned the new guys would be available for warclans, so I wonder what is planned wtih Orruks in general in 3rd edition, it seems to be a bit of a mess introducing a 3rd orruk faction, did we really need 3 different factions of orruks? The lead up to 3rd edition and ending 2nd with BR Kragnos seemed to indicate it was destros time to shine, and years of buildup with Gordrakk kind of turned into a wet ******, especially in the wake of Belakors success, nothing much happened in camp destruction in comparison. 

As something completely different, anyone else starting to get annoyed we can never even get a months advance roadmap or anything. This week to week release schedules and reveals is just super annoying, and it would be very very nice to be able to plan some vacation etc around hobby projects and events.

Aren't these Kruleboyz fleshing out Orruk warclans? It's just not specifically Ironjawz or Bonesplitterz, both of which were always only a narrow example of what a greenskin warclan in the mortal realms was.

I love my Ironjawz, but I think even GW would admit they boxed themselves in to a corner in terms of expanding that faction with the lore they'd written. Same with Bonesplitterz, the lore sort of boxed them into a dead end. I suspect both were designed around the time when AoS was going to be small armies and never need expanding. Orruk Warclans seems like it was a stop gap to get updated rules for both out, knowing that more Warclans would be coming down the line. 

At the end of the day, we will be seeing a huge expansion of kits for Orruks and greenskins in general, with the hints of more to come and they mentioned specifically they can all work as part of the Orruk Warclans. I'm happy to wait and see how they do integrate them.

Just the fact that Orruks are getting such a big release at all is good news as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

I agree. Kurnoth should be within Sylvaneth and Umbraneth part of DOK.

In regards ark Lumineth I hope they get another Battleline unit and then Monstrous Ocean life upon Monstrous Ocean life. Expand upon what makes them unique!! Look how gangbusters people went for the Crab!!

I agree mare, especially with Sylvaneth and Kurnothi and DOK and Umbraneth.

Yeah that's what I would assume as well. Some Factions need entire waves such as BOC, Skaven, Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Idoneth and Mawtribes.

Others such as Tzeentch and Nurgle could do with a new unit or Character and then some like Sons of Behemat and Lumineth I dont expect to be updated at all, maybe a terrain piece but nothing huge.

Compared to Khorne and Slaanesh both Tzeentch and Nurgle miss mortal units... (marauders variant for Nurgle, chosen variant for Tzeentch - and speaking of Chosen, S2D could really use some - old models are decent but Finecast is not). Nurgle would (like Khorne) also ideally get his own Beastmen variant to complete the ranges. Characters would obviously also be welcome, especially Tzeentch has a lot Finecast heroes. None of that is important in the sense of needing a release soon (I do know A Chaos army that would deserve a big release soon) but it would be very welcome. And cool Tzeentch mortals would net GW a lot of my cash too! With 3 LoCs now and owning everything I need, (plus a TS army) I don‘t know what else to buy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

I think Chaos Dwarves will be an expansion on Slaves to Darkness in the same way that Kruleboyz is an expansion on Warclans.

For the same reason, kurnothi will be an expansion on Slyvaneth and Umbraneth will be an expansion on Daughters of Khaine.

I think we're at saturation point now for new factions, and I expect to see new ranges added to existing armies. Can't see there being another two factions a year for the next few years.

Absolutely agree. AFAIK there's currently more factions than Fantasy ever had - has anyone compared to 40K? They'd probably beat us out tbh.

Anyways, constantly pumping out new armies doesn't feel like the soundest move and imho creating unique expansions that CAN be taken alone (like an 100% Kruleboy, Troggoth or Mawtribes force, for example) makes most sense. After all, then you might end up collecting another part of same faction. Could I be enticed getting into rest of StD range if I'm enticed by Chaos Duardin? Of course! I assume many into Kurnothi could get some dryads or Alarielle to support them, or Cauldron of Blood to Umbraneth, either from gameplay, aesthetic or headcanon/lore perspective.

I think Kruleboyz heralds this as it COULD have been a battletome of it's own.

Also as an addendum: Maybe this will see consolidation of identification. I've always liked how people can really claim an army as their own - you know, how you can tell a Tomb King player from a mile away because they wear the poundland Tutankhamen costume on 24/7 and hurl plastic miniature skeletons on people who dare to allege that Bonereapers are the spiritual successor to TK (I kid, I kid!). I know this forum has some of that - a die-hard Skaven fan here, another die-hard Idoneth fan there...and who could forget the nr. 1 Gargant fan? Those are things I really love about Warhammer, people being die-hard fans of a faction, but I feel like there's less of that with AoS than with 40K or Fantasy of old. Maybe it's the relative new status of AoS. Maybe it needs more models. But I hope we'll see it happen more and more as time goes on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bluesummers said:

They are more like a Golem faction (not even human sized) marketed around the space marine business model which is hideous. The aesthetic was so bad that they have released almost the same units 3 times trying to fix the outlook. We could have new armies instead of this needless refresh at the dawn of every edition.

That's what i am trying to say, they are forced into the themed box because they "have to be stormcasts" in there and most people can see through the marketing that it feels inorganic.

Some people will defend SCs because they are fans and that's ok, everyone has a different taste.

Then there is no actual "human faction" in AOS, because Cities of Sigmar is intended to be a multiracial coalition of Order factions that live, fight, and die together to protect their corner of civilization. Even the Order of Azyr has elves and dwarves working within it.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Chikout said:

This art is staggeringly good. Excitement for 3rd edition is rising!3q03R90EPUln7uJ0.jpg.71f33368e0c4e1dc8278fc15a47eec61.jpg

Always nice to see my boys (and girls) providing that air support. 

Also note that many of those airships are bigger then the ones currently on the table, the ones that have multiple endrin balloons. 

Edited by King Under the Mountain
  • Like 1

I for one have always had a deep and honest love for the dwarves in Warhammer Fantasy (while Fyreslayers and KO are not my cup of tea)... So the thought of these honorable warriors and engineers falling to Chaos was always abhorrent and disgusting. 

So I'd be happy if GW would never release Chaos Dwarves. But I'm afraid I'll be disappointed in that regard.

Interesting that no one is talking about Malerion and his Shadow Demons / possible DOK-into-Umbraneth rework after the short story about him and Morathi.

DID SOMEBODY SAY CRUSADE?!!! 

Phenomenal artwork. I do think it's time to update the cult of Sigmar/Cities soldiers though. I think the Empire soldiers of old look quite out of place in the mix. Would love to see them stay as the Free-Guilds, but I'm still waiting for those troops we saw on the artwork of AoS 2.0 😍

Can't stop thinking and looking at the Hobgrots, they just look cool af. And I can't tell you how happy the return of Chaos Dwarves makes me. The thought of seeing big hats and hobgoblins together was a pipe dream for me, but it seems not, praise sigmar! 

• Like 2

Interesting that the article seems to hint that Stormcast can no longer lightning down to the battlefield. 

I wonder if this is just fluff or if it will in fact be reflected by the rules in the new battletome.

If GW is taking away the Stormcast deepstrike option, I actually feel more optimistic about the faction as a whole getting significant buffs in other areas.

28 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Absolutely agree. AFAIK there's currently more factions than Fantasy ever had - has anyone compared to 40K? They'd probably beat us out tbh.

Anyways, constantly pumping out new armies doesn't feel like the soundest move and imho creating unique expansions that CAN be taken alone (like an 100% Kruleboy, Troggoth or Mawtribes force, for example) makes most sense. After all, then you might end up collecting another part of same faction. Could I be enticed getting into rest of StD range if I'm enticed by Chaos Duardin? Of course! I assume many into Kurnothi could get some dryads or Alarielle to support them, or Cauldron of Blood to Umbraneth, either from gameplay, aesthetic or headcanon/lore perspective.

I think Kruleboyz heralds this as it COULD have been a battletome of it's own.

Also as an addendum: Maybe this will see consolidation of identification. I've always liked how people can really claim an army as their own - you know, how you can tell a Tomb King player from a mile away because they wear the poundland Tutankhamen costume on 24/7 and hurl plastic miniature skeletons on people who dare to allege that Bonereapers are the spiritual successor to TK (I kid, I kid!). I know this forum has some of that - a die-hard Skaven fan here, another die-hard Idoneth fan there...and who could forget the nr. 1 Gargant fan? Those are things I really love about Warhammer, people being die-hard fans of a faction, but I feel like there's less of that with AoS than with 40K or Fantasy of old. Maybe it's the relative new status of AoS. Maybe it needs more models. But I hope we'll see it happen more and more as time goes on.

You speak the truth sir, myself and @KingBrodd are diehards of our respective factions(though I’m having to expand into gravelords to keep the dream alive). Likewise the idea of Chorfs being a part of StD but not an actual army sounds harsh, but also makes a lot of sense game wise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

Interesting that the article seems to hint that Stormcast can no longer lightning down to the battlefield. 

I wonder if this is just fluff or if it will in fact be reflected by the rules in the new battletome.

If GW is taking away the Stormcast deepstrike option, I actually feel more optimistic about the faction as a whole getting significant buffs in other areas.

It will likely be what we saw in Broken Realms, where you can pick Stormkeeps to get defensive bonuses and Cities units, or Scions of the Storm to be more aggressive and teleport into battle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

I think Chaos Dwarves will be an expansion on Slaves to Darkness in the same way that Kruleboyz is an expansion on Warclans.

For the same reason, kurnothi will be an expansion on Slyvaneth and Umbraneth will be an expansion on Daughters of Khaine.

I think we're at saturation point now for new factions, and I expect to see new ranges added to existing armies. Can't see there being another two factions a year for the next few years.

I am absolutely counting on them being an expansion. 😇

I want a ranged unit of heavily armoured Dwarves blasting enemies away as my Warriors march forward, a Hellcannon to compliment my Warshrine and a Hat Rocking Hero to lead them... If I can add some supporting Hobgrots all the better! I have finished my Slaves to Darkness army barring the possible inclusion of Be'Lakor and Varanguard (both would be big financial purchases for me), but I would gladly expand to add some more diversity and unit dynamics to my army. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

I think when people say that they want more humans in the narrative, they don't mean anything with humanity or just so happens to be human (otherwise chaos stories would also fit the bill). I think they mean something that looks at the ordinary person and how they survive against all odds - whether through bravery, grit, guile, or faith. Stormcast can be very interesting and human, but they're not a good replacement for the everyman - not only do they have super powers, but they are not mortal. And a person confronting their own mortality is distinctly human.

I don't disagree with this, having mortal-human stories is bread and butter of fantasy in general. but it feels like when people talk about a "human" faction they mean COS which is...not a human faction either & shouldn't be. My point was that Stormcast are just immortal humans; they are not detached like Space Marines even if they are also not mortal like Freeguild.

As much as I like the new Stormcast, I'm still waiting on & hoping 2021 gives us AOS-specific Cities kits, updated Seraphon, and new duardin or Wave 2 Fyreslayers/KO

• Like 5

Just now, CommissarRotke said:

I don't disagree with this, having mortal-human stories is bread and butter of fantasy in general. but it feels like when people talk about a "human" faction they mean COS which is...not a human faction either & shouldn't be. My point was that Stormcast are just immortal humans; they are not detached like Space Marines even if they are also not mortal like Freeguild.

As much as I like the new Stormcast, I'm still waiting on & hoping 2021 gives us AOS-specific Cities kits, updated Seraphon, and new duardin or Wave 2 Fyreslayers/KO

With Elves and Duardin having their multiple racial armies, I could see Cities of Sigmar creep to being more human dominated, especially once more kits come out in the future.