The Rumour Thread

14 minutes ago, Grim Beasties said:

Well I'm sorry but it's here I have a bit of a problem, what about the authors who want to write about Gotrek in the Mortal Realms? Or those that want to read about how Gotrek interacts with the new setting and characters? We still have the majority of books focused on AoS unique characters, so how does Gotrek's adventure stop you from enjoying those books? 

Just because an author wants to write a Gotrek story doesn't mean GW has to expend resources (their own, plus the author's time) on it. If I worked in an office (like I used to) and wanted to spend my time developing a sales dashboard in Sharepoint, it would not be my choice. Even if the sales team would like a new dashboard (though they already have had six versions), my boss would be wise to direct my skills toward new tools that could expand our capabilities instead of just rehashing what we already have.

17 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

I didn't question that people were speculation that the thing in the mirror could be Sigvald.

What i am saying is, that nobody would be able to predict a Sigvald Mini based on this or other small parts of text's i have read.

It's always easy after something happens, to interpret signs or connect dots.

If you guys are so great make a another prediction, which models come next and when, based on a short verse in a story

I predicted the Slaanesh stuff a year and a half ago,including that there would be two factions, an initial release building on what existed and then something more radical as Slaanesh's release became more focal in the lore.

The main themes are pretty broad, its not hard to identify them. AOS is driven by the personality and relationships of the Gods, and there's not many of them, and over the past year and a half it's revisited Warhammer lore pretty strongly too.

A lot of people on here have made educated guesses which panned out pretty much by connecting those dots and a few bits from Shadespire etc .

Edited by Nos
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Just because an author wants to write a Gotrek story doesn't mean GW has to expend resources (their own, plus the author's time) on it. If I worked in an office (like I used to) and wanted to spend my time developing a sales dashboard in Sharepoint, it would not be my choice. Even if the sales team would like a new dashboard (though they already have had six versions), my boss would be wise to direct my skills toward new tools that could expand our capabilities instead of just rehashing what we already have.

I can understand that, but that doesn't answer my question, how do the few new Gotrek stories affect the 60 something other books and 100 short stories? How are people 'rubes' for enjoying a character?

You don't go to McDonald's and expect a Michelin-starred meal, you go to McDonald's because you want comfort food and fast. Black Library is the literary equivalent of McDonald's.

That doesn't mean I am disparaging Black Library stories - far from it! I'm just saying that any discussion about "rubes" or begging for high-class fantasy from BL is the equivalent of yelling at someone about the chicken mcnuggets - "IT'S NOT FROM A CHICKEN, IT'S JUST PINK GOO! DON'T BE A RUBE!". We all know that, but those nuggets, man, they tasty.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure it was mentioned on this very thread but I can't seem to find it, but do we know how many pages Slaanesh has in Warcry? I think someone said 3 but I may have imagined that

Edit: okay, it was on Facebook.

I think there's usually about 1 page for general abilities, 1 page for mortals, and one page for daemons. Apparently the Hellstriders are on the daemon page? Regardless, the leaked photo had the new mortals on the right hand side of that page, which means that there are at least three other models on the left, and there could be up to six. If only three, they are likely the Lord of Pain, Rita Repulsa, and Slaangors (which are almost confirmed). If we're lucky, there'll be three more

Edit 2: I've had a closer look at the video, and there look to be three pages of just mortal units! Even if most pages aren't full, that's a pretty large amount and could mean many new models

Edited by Enoby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Benkei said:

Is this the rumour thread still or is it the literary thread?

Well today was the BL reveal event so yeah its book club at least until potentially tomorrow at around 5-6pm UK time when GW might reveal stuff for next saturday. 

As for Gotrek, the original stories were a whirlwind tour of various races, species and regions of the Old World. The pair basically fought (and killed) most species and races. Gotrek DOES need some AoS focus, right now he's abit hit and miss with knowing what he's doing whilst Malineth is focused on him so its a bit cyclic - whilst in Old World Felix would wander off on his own now and then with his own ideas. I think we just need Malineth to change her relationship with Gotrek a little so that its less her wanting to kill him as her only sideline of thought. I do enjoy that she's a more hostile companion, but she needs to come out of that shell a little. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 3:54 PM, Grim Beasties said:

I can understand that, but that doesn't answer my question, how do the few new Gotrek stories affect the 60 something other books and 100 short stories? How are people 'rubes' for enjoying a character?

I don't want to further derail things, so I'll reply to this and then move on.  Feel free to PM if you want to chat more.

I did answer the question, I thought. Resources are finite. Time, people, printing facilities, etc.  Every commitment to a Gotrek rehash means another new and original story goes untold.

As to rubes, I need to clarify -

I don't think they are rubes.

I don't think GW thinks they are rubes.

I was trying try show how it could appear that way or that some less scrupulous companies, in this or other lines of work, might treat customers that way. Mainly an illustration of how things could go bad or how they could be perceived.

Edited by Sleboda
Oops on a key letter.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

Using Gotrek as a familiar lens through which to explore the crazy new Realms and the people within them seems a worthy reason for continuing his series.

I thought the first one did that quite well. Haven't followed up with the rest yet.

It's a great narrative devise, love all the characters they've been developing alongside Gotrek such as Maleneth and Trachos the Stormcast. I'm really excited to see more of Skragrott, he's been missing narratively after his amazing trailer reveal with the Gloomspite Gits.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SilentSentinel said:

Found a image with a bit more of the name of the new unit shown, looks like it might be armed with the same kind of bow as the archer in the Direchasm box. Hopefully we might get a reveal of some of the new stuff soon since the cat will be out of the bag somewhat once the Warcry book comes out of pre-order.

I’m betting the name of the twinsouls unit leader is “psychopomp”  based on the revealed letters. Creative unit champion names at last!

The Myrmidesh is likely a more mundane “Weaponmaster”

6 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

You don't go to McDonald's and expect a Michelin-starred meal, you go to McDonald's because you want comfort food and fast. Black Library is the literary equivalent of McDonald's.

That doesn't mean I am disparaging Black Library stories - far from it! I'm just saying that any discussion about "rubes" or begging for high-class fantasy from BL is the equivalent of yelling at someone about the chicken mcnuggets - "IT'S NOT FROM A CHICKEN, IT'S JUST PINK GOO! DON'T BE A RUBE!". We all know that, but those nuggets, man, they tasty.

This is why I dont go to McDonalds. Culvers all the way!!!

ew, nuggets???

5 hours ago, SilentSentinel said:

Found a image with a bit more of the name of the new unit shown, looks like it might be armed with the same kind of bow as the archer in the Direchasm box. Hopefully we might get a reveal of some of the new stuff soon since the cat will be out of the bag somewhat once the Warcry book comes out of pre-order.

129777597_3576615749042362_1906478685741762146_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=F9o6C9cLfXoAX-hGFag&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel5-1.fna&oh=2c0a7785d30326f411f5f5e28f5dfc93&oe=5FEFFB80

They are al champions, so if each column have 6 profiles and we know the existence of the sorcerer we miss at least 5 units or heroes more to know.

Side note RE: WHU, the counters they've announced for Direchasm do offer some slight hints as to the mechanics of the upcoming warbands.

99220799015_DirechasmCounterSetLead.jpg

So they mention Tithe counters (for Ossiarch), Shoal counters (Idoneth, looks to be that bottom right counter with the monstrous flying fish), Desecration tokens (the StD) and Amber tokens (not sure... maybe Bonesplitters, if that's what the green preview is, can't they get their beast energy from amber bones?)

• Like 2

I wonder if we're now done for releases for the year with the death guard being delayed. 

The only other stuff we know is coming is dark eldar, slannesh mortals, STD Underworlds, skaff halfheight for BB and Necromuna reinforcements which all seem to be in January. 

So will something get pushed forward or maybe we'll be treated with reveals of the rest of the slannesh stuff.