The Rumour Thread

I know it wouldn't happen in a million years but I really would love if the new edition was a Devoted of Sigmar or Cities vs Ironjawz. That way they can include some stormcast while also not having the new edition repeats the last few and also help prevent Stormcast fatigue and still give their poster boys some presence.

Again, it won't happen but it would be cool.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

With some Siege rules being placed in Wrath of the Everchosen I thinn you're correct about 3.0 being Siege Central. Gordrraks Waaagh would be the perfect place to start especially if it's against Excelsis (I think Azyr will come later) and the addition of the Mega Gargants at this point is too well timed. Hell one of my lads is called the Gatebreaker for a reason!!

Mate if they do Skaven VS Orruks or Beasts of Chaos as the new starter or a Battlebox in general that would be incredible. I'd love to see updated sculpts of Gors and Rat Ogors. Hell update just about every Skaven mini while your at it.

Azyr must come soon... Only because we have one Warscroll in Cities of Sigmar that needs to be played in Azyr to be really powerful. *wink wink*

1 hour ago, Fairbanks said:

Can you make another thread? I’d love to comment on something like this, but the Rumor Thread isn’t really the place.

I'm literally just running out the door, and not sure 100% what you'd want the thread to exactly be about, but please feel free to start one yourself, link to my ridiculous comment if you want and go for it, lots to talk about regarding the hobby and media so happy to chat about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

I shall endeavour to keep this brief*, for once, as I'd hate to take up space reserved for all the genuine rumours we get here...

Hide contents

But yes I fully agree to your first point. RPGs and indeed wargames can be both incredibly complicated to play and get your head around and of course very subjective experiences. As you say experience is incredibly important, these games don't reveal themselves all at once and often build upon conventions that might be years (if not decades) in the making. If you want a purely mechanical breakdown of a game then it's doable but it'll be incredibly dry and even then I think only tell half the story.

And that's the other thing the FIFA game I play on the Xbox is to all intents and purposes the same that everyone else plays but think how many variables there are with our hobbies, and how many of them are completely outside the control of the games writers/developers, whom your actually playing with being the most obvious example I can think of, or how a game on a beautiful table, full of incredible scenery with wonderfully painted models is a completely different experience to a load of grey plastic charging through a kitchen table wasteland.

That does make reviewing older games fun and potentially useful, and in fact for the website one of the sections will be called 'The Vault' where we play and review a much older game. Though tbh a good part of this is me trying to come up with an excuse for my ridiculous drunk eBay habits and pathetic longing to buy and play all the games from the 80s/early 90s I once owned.

But I'm not sure that works as more than an occasional fun thing and certainly in the print mag I think would be taking up space that personally I'd prefer to use to champion someone working today.

As for your 2nd point about teaming up with people, I've so far pulled together about 4 or 5 other writers, whose work I really like and who are into all this stuff and I'm working with them to come up with various feature ideas and interviews. It's tricky though as I want to be able to pay them, as they are, in the main, proper journalists or writers and they deserve to be paid but frankly there's a more than likely chance that this could just be a horrific money pit so I'm having to be a bit careful which is making everything take longer than I'd normally like, especially as most of this was being paid for through my income from my now non existent job.

On yet another tangent the really tricky thing has been coming up with wargaming content for it, there's a lot more scope for interesting features around RPGs, just so many more indie writers producing so much more stuff to use as pegs for features. I've found but wargaming's a bit trickier but anyway hopefully in the next month the website at least will be live and then the mag to follow after summer.

* LOL failed again...

I look forward to seeing it, definitely sounds up my street!

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

100% agree. It could be so awesome to see a new SCE hero (or elite unit) and a lot of crazy dudes swinging sigmarite ornaments!!

I think that would be amazing, I also really enjoy the 1/4 units being from a separate army mechanic and think that Devoted and Stromcast would obviously have such a synergy. I just find GW seems pretty dedicated to having the armies represent single factions and Stormcast are the poster boys so it is an extremely high chance they will take half the box again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I don’t know!

at a certain point it’ll just repeat itself with units that function the same.

in the end stormcast will be overloaded with a ton of models, which only 2-3 units and 2-5heroes might see play and everything else may be considered dead, since the cost as mich as these nw models that do exactly the same thing but are better.

overhauling rules and warscrolls would be mich better for the stormcast then giving them another loud of too shiny not yet dead-things.

and the hate for them would be less (probably not sure though).

And models that haven’t seen an update for the last 20-30Years will definitely thank gw for it, if they choose a different path this time

You don't play 40k, do you? 😅

Basically what they did (do) with Space Marines is the opposite of everything you're saying. They keep adding more and more, and some time ago they actually introduced a new type of unit which made the older ones completely obsolete, all of this cuz they know that SM sell (to give you a better idea, SM have received more stuff and new kits than every single other faction combined together; actually I think they have twice all the others combined together).

I don't know if Stormcast are for AoS as popular and representative as SM are for 40k, but they definitely wanted them to be, so it wouldn't be too odd if AoS 3.0 doubled down on SC vs someone.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

...or wouldn’t a boxset with like skaven vs. Beast of chaos or orruks in total be more interesting for a new edition?

I mean these are army that direly in need of an update in new models or just need new units, and Sigmarines aren’t really one of them when it comes down to models.

They are more in need of an overall warcsroll update, rather then one in models

Please this. BoC, Skaven, Cities, DoK and a few other factions really need actual miniatures refresh. Stormcast have an immense lineup they almost need to be pruned and just get scroll rewrites as I feel they have a pretty bloated miniature line. I hope for new boxes that are more destruction vs chaos, death vs chaos sets.

Do we really need a AoS version 3.0 so soon or is there just a lot of 40K envy going on right now with their new edition? For Sigmar's sake we just finally got all the faction books released and you want to throw them all away for a new edition already? Wth?

• Like 5

I have to assume they are going to try to push 3.0 out the door in summer 2021, if for no other reasons than:

a. There will be a new Stormcast release and need an excuse to release a big box of full of pushfit prototypes

b. The game will move to smaller table sizes like what happened in 40k and they want to start pushing that sooner than later

Edited by PJetski

21 minutes ago, JPjr said:

since the GW & diversity thread has been closed I'm going to leave this here, pretty much makes everything said in that thread redundant...

I'd say it makes one bit irrelevant. Nothing about the models themselves changes with this decision.

I do agree that it contrasts the strong last line "You will not be missed".

I also do not think that it isn't wise to use Space Marines in political posts on your private channel. But this could have been handled better by GW. A lot better.

MOD NOTICE

Lets swing back to rumours and the game people. I don't want this thread to turn argumentative nor witchhunter etc... If you want to discuss a separate major issue please create a thread for it. However if you do I'd urge everyone to behave themselves. We did very well with the recent thread on racial issues in the hobby, I don't want to see all that thrown away. 

5 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Genuine rumor alert.

Lumineth main release will be September. 

I hope it is sooner, 9th month of the year makes it so the elves were spread out in some form over 75% of the year!
Post Indomitus box there isn't much going on in 40k until multiparts since the new edition is iterative and minor.

3 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Do we really need a AoS version 3.0 so soon or is there just a lot of 40K envy going on right now with their new edition? For Sigmar's sake we just finally got all the faction books released and you want to throw them all away for a new edition already? Wth?

To be fair unless AoS 3.0 changes drastically rules like getting rid of the initiative roll with a IGYG system or a more predictable initiative like adding general bravery or other value or things like this, I don’t see why the need of a new edition so soon. Siege rules can be expanded in a new campaign book and most ranges can be re-modernised with some booklet like PA in 40k. I know people don’t like having too many books but in the end having new books that replace old books is the same thing as having updated books...

Whatever it is with the pandemic delaying things I can’t imagine GW squeezing their plans for the time until AoS 3.0 in around 3/6 months less. Already the last PAs look really rushed, don’t think they have to do the same for AoS. 

Have we had much in the way of rumours on the Sons of Behemat tome? Given it will likely have Just a few warscrolls in it (I asssume) I am really interested in the coverage it gives to Destruction more generally. Could we finally get a map of Ghur? (Behemat lived in Ghyran though right? Will the book be focussed on the continuing story there?)

5 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

Have we had much in the way of rumours on the Sons of Behemat tome? Given it will likely have Just a few warscrolls in it (I asssume) I am really interested in the coverage it gives to Destruction more generally. Could we finally get a map of Ghur? (Behemat lived in Ghyran though right? Will the book be focussed on the continuing story there?)

No idea. It’s been very quiet but the whole release schedule has been turned upside down. I imagine it will be a one drop release though. 

8 minutes ago, Oceanic_Eyes said:

Dang, I'm still waiting on my copy. Are there still points values for Bretonnian units? 

They introduced Legends which are declared as not legal in pitched battle anymore.

Bretonians are sadly part of that group. It's also shocking to see Tomb Kings are now illegal.

Sayl and Thamurkan's Horde is also on that list.

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

They introduced Legends which are declared as not legal in pitched battle anymore.

Bretonians are sadly part of that group. It's also shocking to see Tomb Kings are now illegal.

Sayl and Thamurkan's Horde is also on that list.

That sucks to hear, but thank you for the response, it's much appreciated.