Here's the list of factions for the new Mercenary system:

• Deathrattle
  • Gargants + Chaos Gargant
  • Soulblight
  • Freeguild
  • Dispossessed
  • StD (Darkoath)
  • Gutbusters

Except for Gargants, that looks suspiciously like a list of the factions that are missing a battletome or that we suspect will get a their own battletome before too long. No Aelves though. Could be a list of upcoming Battletomes (the other two mercenary factions are FEC and Fyreslayers), or it could be just a little gifts for the players who own these armies but won't field them because their rules sucks. Or it could be a coincidence.

Trying to not create expectations here 😶

4 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

So will be mercenary system a way to not to make battletome for some armys??? Free peoples, ogors, ironweld... at least there's no elfs

No, I'm sure we'll see a battletome for all (or most) of those factions within about a year. The question is: will we get those first, or the ones that are NOT mentionned. Many (like Tzeentch) are excluded for fluff reason, of course.

Well, ally why not... But the mercenary thingy smells like GW want to sell just few minis for people not interested in an full army.

As far as I like the idea, I'm also afraid that players will use this system as a power creep tool: taking the most powerful mercenary band to compensate the weakness of an army. I think that canons and giants can have a nice short term future here.

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Well, ally why not... But the mercenary thingy smells like GW want to sell just few minis for people not interested in an full army.

As far as I like the idea, I'm also afraid that players will use this system as a power creep tool: taking the most powerful mercenary band to compensate the weakness of an army. I think that canons and giants can have a nice short term future here.

I don't necessarily have an issue with this.

The scariest armies either have no obvious weaknesses and do everything well (i.e. Skaven) or are so strong in one way of playing and have a rock hard ruleset that makes them very hard to overcome (i.e. flesh eater courts), in all of these types of armies the stuff in your book is either better than anything else you could take or taking something else dilutes your rock hard list design.

Mercenaries is one of those things where the weaker your faction is the more you benefit from them, giving the potential to pull a match against a stronger faction from maybe a 20% chance to win to a 35% chance to win by filling in some weaknesses.

If you are an ironjawz player you may love to add some artiller to your army devoid of shooting, or have some ghouls come on the back of the board to address the lack of ability to get opponents spellcasters and artillery hidden behind screens. A skaven player would only make their list worse by including any of this kind of stuff by comparison.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm happy about that. This companies are nice and all, but they should have some type rules that makes them playable. You are losing a CP and all the points for other Allies to take them.

Of course, some companies are going to be better than others, but that's not the point. I'm just looking fo any excuse to buy some Maneaters btw.

24 minutes ago, Minis by Night said:

Dispossessed

Ehm, sorry about that but I represent the Dispossessed player out there and technically Organ guns, Cannons and Cogsmith are Ironweld Arsenal.

I understand your confusion and you can't even imagine ours, but it's true.

Remember us in the next community survey, please. 😔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I'm just looking fo any excuse to buy some Maneaters btw.

I'm not against this system, I really like it; but I'm afraid of its application/competitive use. BTW, some armies will lose their specific taste. 

But I'm happy to have also an excuse to paint my canons and giants!!!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

some armies will lose their specific taste

I think the best idea is to convert your mercenaries accordingly e.g. I wouldn't use Duardins in my Skaven army, but I could buy Cannon, then make it look skaveny and replace its crew with clanrats. My clawlord wanted to have artillery, but he doesn't trust (shocked!!) Skryre warlocks so he just use  looted cannons.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, michu said:

I think the best idea is to convert your mercenaries accordingly e.g. I wouldn't use Duardins in my Skaven army, but I could buy Cannon, then make it look skaveny and replace its crew with clanrats. My clawlord wanted to have artillery, but he doesn't trust (shocked!!) Skryre warlocks so he just use  looted cannons.

Yep. Hopefully it will lead to some great conversions. 

1 hour ago, michu said:

I guess good old slave to darkness has a reason to build their long missing chaos dwarfed made cannons

Anyone else find stuff like buffed deathrattle and bloodknights appearing in any army super immersion breaking...?  

Realizing that my Sylvaneth will be allowed to play with blood knights, but not a lore master....? 

The more I look at it, the more it seems like a cash grab...  

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not a rumor per say but some fuel for speculation.  I was going through the Hedonites of Slaanesh book and this paragraph caught my imagination.  I had been internally thinking about Teclis' Hysh forces and imagining Angelic Aelves.  

On page 25 the last paragraph reads:

As Morathai draws ever more Scathborn from Slaanesh's belly for the war she fervently believes is on the horizon, Teclis beings to gather armies of his own.  he amasses the martial orders of the Realm of Light and invokes ancient pacts with the sprits of Hysh to bolster his gleaming warhosts for the new era of conflict to come.

So initially I was imagining the Aleves that he pulled from Slaanesh to be these Angelic Aelves but this sounds more like some sort of High Alef equivalent of armies with the addition of non-aelf angelic spirits that are potentially native beings of Hysh.

Very curious to see these new armies materialize.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

But something is weird: gargant are 160 pts, the 3 unit can't actually be a thing with the 400pts matched play limit (on 2k pts). 

You could always play a 2500 pt match though and then 3 gargants fit perfectly.  Honestly most of my 2k armies don't use allies, so if my group plays mercenaries it'll be like getting a bonus 500 points of mercenaries to fit on top of the pre-existing army.

21 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

Anyone else find stuff like buffed deathrattle and bloodknights appearing in any army super immersion breaking...?

Not me. Last few BL books I’ve read have featured Stormcast fighting alongside vampires, Ogors in Chaos armies, Skaven hiring human spies, human tribes fighting alongside Deathrattle, Kharadron being straight up evil ****** pirates, etc etc but even without that I reckon, with just a couple of exceptions, i could fairly easily come up with some kind of thematically sound backstory for how and why any of these mercenary groups might be working with any other army.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 14

25 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

Realizing that my Sylvaneth will be allowed to play with blood knights, but not a lore master....? 

Not one bit really. The old lines of factions are a lot more blurred these days. Vampires are mostly independent if they aren't direct agents of a high power (Neferata etc) and like the article says, there are a lot of Dead in Shyish that are part of mortal civilization, or who's to say a cunning Necromancer has promised an undead legion to tip the scales in battle for a fair price. The Mortal Realms are a very forgiving place lore-wise, it's what makes them so cool!

Your specific example of a Loremaster is an unfortunate one, but let's face it, Loremaster is a legacy model with a spell that is probably a touch too versatile for play outside of Grand Alliance Order. Yes the old rules were any ORDER WIZARD but the design of the game has certainly changed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

But something is weird: gargant are 160 pts, the 3 unit can't actually be a thing with the 400pts matched play limit (on 2k pts). 

I theorize that they may get cheaper (130 would be the minimum point they would need to fit)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travis Baumann said:

Not a rumor per say but some fuel for speculation.  I was going through the Hedonites of Slaanesh book and this paragraph caught my imagination.  I had been internally thinking about Teclis' Hysh forces and imagining Angelic Aelves.  

On page 25 the last paragraph reads:

As Morathai draws ever more Scathborn from Slaanesh's belly for the war she fervently believes is on the horizon, Teclis beings to gather armies of his own.  he amasses the martial orders of the Realm of Light and invokes ancient pacts with the sprits of Hysh to bolster his gleaming warhosts for the new era of conflict to come.

So initially I was imagining the Aleves that he pulled from Slaanesh to be these Angelic Aelves but this sounds more like some sort of High Alef equivalent of armies with the addition of non-aelf angelic spirits that are potentially native beings of Hysh.

Very curious to see these new armies materialize.

Yes, my toughts exactly.

1 hour ago, Zanzou said:

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Cursed_Company

"The most common tales revolving around Richter Kreugar's tragic curse tell of a young mercenary captain, proud, talented, and ruthless. He hired out his services freely, uncaring whom he fought for as long as the price was right. Centuries ago in the history of the Old World, Richer was said to have allied with a powerful Necromancer, aiding him in his diabolical campaign against the Empire, terrorizing the heavy forested area around Wolfenburg."

Alot of these mercenaries are reworks of old dogs of war.

• Like 1