Will WH: The Olde World armies be marriable with Age of Sigmar?

Baron_Bathory

Soooo I've been obsessed over running Bretonnians since 6th edition and kind of missed the boat. I'm hearing that our Knights in Shining Armour are coming back for the new Warhammer game. I'm wondering, what are the chances that GW ships the models with round bases too so they are playable in AoS? It would be a genius move because they would capitalize on sales from the 9th edition crowd as well as the AoS crowd. And obviously they would possibly need 2 sets of rules & warscroll cards for both AoS and WH: TOW if the rules are significantly different. Can I get my hopes up or nah?

King_louen_Leoncoeur.gif

• Like 2

Based on the information we have received, the answer is: we have no idea.

Based on nothing but feelings, I would classify your desire as "possible but unlikely".  Not in a 1:99 sort of way, but more like 40:60.  I don't expect any real deliberate cross compatibility, but I wouldn't die of shock if it turned out that was the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Based on the information we have received, the answer is: we have no idea.

Based on nothing but feelings, I would classify your desire as "possible but unlikely".  Not in a 1:99 sort of way, but more like 40:60.  I don't expect any real deliberate cross compatibility, but I wouldn't die of shock if it turned out that was the case.

My sentiments as well on both counts. I suppose we'll have to wait for more info. I don't see any reason not to, but stranger decisions have been made by GW as we all well know.

Thanks for the replies everyone :D

i mean if they confirm actual square bases (not square movement trays with round base models like ASOIAF does) i feel like compatibility seems less likely already. which they already confirm it will be on square bases but is it the same square bases as fantasy who knows, 

• Like 2

I could see them playable under some sort of Legends rules for Narrative games (I mean, the aos 1st ed bretonnian rules are still floating around somewhere) but for competitive games? I don't really believe so. I think it's far more likely to see AoS models getting proxied into TOW than the other way around - but I am of course merely speculating. Would be awesome, though,

Oh man I sure hope so. I don’t think we’d be able to use much AoS in the old world. However, there’s almost no reason why every old world faction couldn’t exist in AoS. For example, Kislev becomes, “Random group of reclaimed who cling to ancient legends about bears and ice and stuff”. I’d love it!

I posted this breakdown in the Old World thread a few weeks back, but this is my assessment of which factions already have cross compatibility and how the rumours of upcoming stuff might prep the field for the Old World to use a lot of extant AoS minis:

In terms of model support, there is already a lot of stuff they can draw on. Lets break down the old WFB factions into

Ready to go, just need some heroes appropriate to the era:

• Warriors of Chaos (Mostly still out there as S2D)
  • Beasts of Chaos (All still in production as themselves)
  • Skaven (All still in production as themselves)
  • Lizardmen (All still in production as Seraphon)
  • Ogre Kingdoms (All still in production as mawtribes)
  • Dark Elves (Almost all still in production as part of CoS)
  • The Empire (Almost all still in Cities, but might need an update to match the aesthetic of the earlier era, if Dawnbringers are coming, expect there to be Crossover potential!)
  • High Elves (Half the Lumineth range is usable as updated High Elves)
  • Vampire Counts (Half the Soulblight range is usable as updated VC)
  • Night Goblins (Half the Gloomspite range is usable as updated Night Goblins)

Still have a core of models, but would benefit from more variety

• Wood Elves (Still a few in Cities, and half of Sylvaneth covers the tree spirits, mostly. New Glade Guard, Ariel and Orion, and Tree kin, and you'd basically be there. I could see that and a few other shiny things coming with a "battle for Athel Loren campaign book, and us being done!)
  • Dwarfs (They still have a core of stuff in cities, but are missing enough that they would need a fairly big release to cover the gaps. You can't really use fyreslayers as slayers, we need thunderers, quarellers, regular dwarfs, and of course heroes, if dispossessed are coming, expect there to be crossover potential!)
  • Savage Orcs (You could make the case for expanding bonesplitters and making a more solid Savage Orcs army at the same time, but they were always a subfaction anyway, so I don't think its that likely they'd get devoted support)

Can't really use anything currently on sale, so would need a rerelease:

• Tomb Kings (None of the current undead really fit, but you could put the Sphynx, Snake and Tomb Guard kits back into production, and then you'd basically just need skeleton archers and some updated chariots. Since we've not got skelly archers in soulblight there could even be some crossoever potential there if they did a Nu-lamia update paired with an updated Tomb Kings release.)
  • Chaos Dwarfs (but there are all those rumours right? I'd expect that if they do come, half the range will match their old loadout while the other half with be realms-y like the elves and vampires.)
  • Brettonia (This is the first big one. Like Tomb Kings they have a lot of old kits, but I feel like fewer hold up, and would be likely to be rereleased as is. I think that a Kislev style campaign/expansion where they really update and expand them would be sure to get them brownie points with the diehard fanbase though. I could see it being one of the earlier campaigns. Until then though people can probably muddle through with old models or knights and peasants from other manufacturers. Somewhere a GW accountant would be crying, but the fanbase would be ok.)
  • Orcs and Goblins (This is the other really big gap in the line, and in my opinion the most important one. We could get by without Bretonians or even my beloved Tomb Kings until such time as they saw fit to do an expansion centred on them. Classic orcs and goblins though as such a central threat to the old world that I think they would have to do something with them. Again I'm not sure that the old kits hold up too well, and its not long since they were phased out. Unlike the other recently updated armies Kruleboyz just don't replicate the classic army. so wouldn't be usable as proxies I don't think. We've not heard much about orcs in the previews so far, but if I had to pick a faction to be invading Kislev in the starter set, its they and not chaos whom I would choose.)

So there you have it. All three Chaos factions already have pretty good support, as do High Elves and possibly The Empire, who were always the other most popular hero factions. It would take a few solid releases to get full coverage, but not out of step with the kind of support blood bowl or necromunda gets, averaged over a year or two.

There is no reason to suppose that anything old world wouldn't fit into AoS, and the aesthetics of the two games really aren't that different. A huge amount of fairly recent stuff would work equally well in both.
  • Like 1

As someone that is fine with someone using a beverage can as a Greater Demon I can unequivocally state that I will absolutely support people using Old World in AOS even if they were 'true' scale and looked odd with the 'heroic' scale models. Less barriers not more barriers. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

As someone that is fine with someone using a beverage can as a Greater Demon I can unequivocally state that I will absolutely support people using Old World in AOS even if they were 'true' scale and looked odd with the 'heroic' scale models. Less barriers not more barriers. 

So will I-I

yes-yes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Personally, I'd not get your hopes up.  Ignoring the base shape complication, I think The Old World may well stick with a more traditional 25mm scale and AoS is Heroic 28mm.  Some armies may look fine in AoS (Cities of Sigmar), but others could look a little out.

100% agree here. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ascetic is very different as well. I’ve stopped thinking too much about it as I was hoping for a Warmaster inspired game but sounds like it’s not going there. I’m just going to sit back and wait and see what they do.  

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 4:10 PM, novakai said:

i mean if they confirm actual square bases (not square movement trays with round base models like ASOIAF does) i feel like compatibility seems less likely already. which they already confirm it will be on square bases but is it the same square bases as fantasy who knows, 

I was really hoping it'd be like ASOIAF (or GW's own War of the Ring). I'm also not a big fan of all the different sized unit trays I ended up with in WHFB. I don't think the depth was worth the hassle. So a couple of standard sized unit trays with circles would have been ideal.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a chunk of the newer AoS ranges could fit in with the Old World. Like others have said, half of the Lumineth/Vampires could easily be updated WHFB minis.

• Like 2

I am still really unsure how GW plans to work out cross compatibility of armies in TOW and AoS. Given that some AoS model ranges just are Warhammer Fantasy armies, at least those will need to have rules in both games. I highly doubt that GW is planning to make it easy to use the same army in both games, though. It seems like they are committing to square bases and having existing Warhammer Fantasy collectings be playable.

The question is, what will all TOW armies be playable in AoS and to what extent can we expect model ranges to be updated for TOW? On the first question, I would be surprised if we suddenly get Bretonnians in AoS just becaues they get new models in TOW. I just don't really see that happening at this point, just like I don't see, for example, Idoneth Deepkin be back-ported into The Old World just because the models are there.

As for army rosters being brought back into a functional state for TOW, even that seems to be a project that would take several years to complete. I fully expect the game to launch with a handful of complete, new model lines (Brettonian, Kislev, Orks) and a bunch of compendium books that make it possible to play old armies. This would of course, make the game a bit of a mess for few years, with several armies being playable but not purchaseable, but just I don't think it would be feasible to have all the old Warhammer Fantasy ranges be available to buy at launch even in their 8th edition state.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

100% agree here. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ascetic is very different as well. I’ve stopped thinking too much about it as I was hoping for a Warmaster inspired game but sounds like it’s not going there. I’m just going to sit back and wait and see what they do.  

A warmaster game would have been amazing!  I half thought that's what they might do at once point.

2 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

I really hope our old WFB armies will be able to slot straight into the old world, that's my main hope.

I don't think they will work in AoS sadly, it'll be a different scale, base size & aesthetic. 

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I am still really unsure how GW plans to work out cross compatibility of armies in TOW and AoS. Given that some AoS model ranges just are Warhammer Fantasy armies, at least those will need to have rules in both games. I highly doubt that GW is planning to make it easy to use the same army in both games, though. It seems like they are committing to square bases and having existing Warhammer Fantasy collectings be playable.

The question is, what will all TOW armies be playable in AoS and to what extent can we expect model ranges to be updated for TOW? On the first question, I would be surprised if we suddenly get Bretonnians in AoS just becaues they get new models in TOW. I just don't really see that happening at this point, just like I don't see, for example, Idoneth Deepkin be back-ported into The Old World just because the models are there.

As for army rosters being brought back into a functional state for TOW, even that seems to be a project that would take several years to complete. I fully expect the game to launch with a handful of complete, new model lines (Brettonian, Kislev, Orks) and a bunch of compendium books that make it possible to play old armies. This would of course, make the game a bit of a mess for few years, with several armies being playable but not purchaseable, but just I don't think it would be feasible to have all the old Warhammer Fantasy ranges be available to buy at launch even in their 8th edition state.

One important thing to remember is that The Old World is being talked about as being similar to how Age of Darkness is to 40k.  So, basically a historical game that will cover the many engagements and time periods that existed prior to the End Times.  I believe we'll get a core rule book on how to play the game and then we'll have the equivalent of the Black Books - so a thick volume covering a specific time frame, memorable engagements and battles with rules for the main protagonists.

I personally don't think we're going to get compendium books - if your army doesn't feature in the time frame of the first book you'll need to wait until the next book appears, in the same way as Space Wolves players had to wait until black book 6.  It also wouldn't surprise me to see people's classic WHFB armies not fit into the new organisations in the way they used to either.  What I do think though is that we may see some armies get interwoven into books that we might not expect - maybe one of the three emperors used Ogre mercenaries for example.

• Thanks 1

Thinking on it more, I reckon the most probable compatibility is forward only, not in both directions.

By that, I mean that it seems most likely to me that they might come up with dual rules so that you could use your TOW models in AoS, but that they would NOT come up with dual rules so that you could use your AoS models in TOW.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Thinking on it more, I reckon the most probable compatibility is forward only, not in both directions.

By that, I mean that it seems most likely to me that they might come up with dual rules so that you could use your TOW models in AoS, but that they would NOT come up with dual rules so that you could use your AoS models in TOW.

I sometimes wonder how the GW fantasy model range would have developed if Age of Sigmar had not come along. I can honestly see nearly all AoS models in the Old World, if they got a lore rewrite.

Stormcast? Sigmarite paladins or Empire clockwork golems as some have suggested the early kits were ment to be.

Idoneth? The fishmen that were always being hinted at were actually real, and they were elves.

Nighthaunt and Bonereapers? Oh, Nagash you scamp, what will you think of next?

Kharadron?  Federico Viticci on Twitter: "Pokémon, 20 years apart. Technology is indeed  incredible. https://t.co/1nIMhRH002" / Twitter

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

I really hope our old WFB armies will be able to slot straight into the old world, that's my main hope.

I don't think they will work in AoS sadly, it'll be a different scale, base size & aesthetic. 

From Warhammer Community:

What? No! What madness is that?! The scale will remain the same as it ever was. We want people to be able to use their old armies if they wish, or to start new ones, or to add new miniatures to old armies – whatever they want.

Imho, I can't imagine anything about TOW that could not exist in AOS. The scale is the same (we are already using Empire, Wood Elf, etc...) and the aesthetic is not a problem. You only need to deal with square-round bases.

• Like 3