The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Mattrulesok said:

They said official board size for AoS is being brought in line with 40K (60x44 from memory) for matched play. Larger boards are still ok and in reality we all play on whatever size table we have.

Yeah, that's the players' choice to make board sizes smaller.  Games Workshop is just printing what they think the smallest possible table size can be for a particular points size.  I haven't moved away from 6'x4' myself for 40k.  Don't see me doing it for AoS either.  I get that tournaments can squeeze in a few more tables, but I think with the number of models placed on the table at the points totals that are generally agreed upon, the table size can barely support it at 6'x4' now.  Going smaller, even if it is mostly depth, just makes it worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Subscriber

Instant reaction: Love the new greenskins. The fact they can be used with my existing Orruk warclans force. The hint at the true masters of the hobgrots. New hobgrots!

Imo, they really nailed the old old school greenskin look updated with the latest sculpts

• Like 1

Shame this is a fomo release, Soul Wars was evergreen and a similar size in terms of content. I really dislike this business model of cheap up front then re-releasing parts at a stonking markup. Oh well, I’ll try to pick it up before it sells out. What time of day do GW pre-orders go live?

• Like 1

Just now, SunStorm said:

Instant reaction: Love the new greenskins. The fact they can be used with my existing Orruk warclans force. The hint at the true masters of the hobgrots. New hobgrots!

Imo, they really nailed the old old school greenskin look updated with the latest sculpts

I vaguely heard them mention this, but did they specify how? Are they usable as allies or full parts of the army?

1 minute ago, edmc78 said:

Shame this is a fomo release, Soul Wars was evergreen and a similar size in terms of content. I really dislike this business model of cheap up front then re-releasing parts at a stonking markup. Oh well, I’ll try to pick it up before it sells out. What time of day do GW pre-orders go live?

Oh wil since AOS 2.0 gw learned that FOMO marketing works. So they will keep doing it forever. And not only GW. FOMO marketing will become standard in every industry before to long 

1 hour ago, Dreddships said:

Yndrasta is a fair bit smaller than I thought she would be

How dare you sir, are you saying she only looks like a £50 model?

58 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Hey they stole Phoenix Guards Halberds!

Best place for them... don't want them in the hands of dirty elveses.

45 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Ok if we don’t get chaos dwarfs after this I’m gonna be disappointed.

You've got me all nervous now.

45 minutes ago, Nos said:

Quote reminiscent of Bob Olley Orcs from long long ago 

20210529_183631.jpg

I'm glad I'm not the only one to remember these.

18 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

image.png.be1764af3e590f568cfcbd8d6593b9e9.png

The alternative head for that archer is a dead ringer for russell crowe.

However... finally, a destruction faction I can get behind.  Rivets and pointy teeth... I'm in.

The hobgrots aren't really doing it for me but the rest.. yea.

The misspelt anihalators  are rocking.  I'm loving the sigmar terminator armour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

Yeah, that's the players' choice to make board sizes smaller.  Games Workshop is just printing what they think the smallest possible table size can be for a particular points size.  I haven't moved away from 6'x4' myself for 40k.  Don't see me doing it for AoS either.  I get that tournaments can squeeze in a few more tables, but I think with the number of models placed on the table at the points totals that are generally agreed upon, the table size can barely support it at 6'x4' now.  Going smaller, even if it is mostly depth, just makes it worse.

For sure it's always been our choice what size we play on but i won't be surpised if tournaments, clubs etc. move to the smaller board format.

• Subscriber
Just now, Ahlambra said:

I vaguely heard them mention this, but did they specify how? Are they usable as allies or full parts of the army?

Eddie just said that they will have more units in the future so there can be a full Kruleboyz army, but that also they will work alongside the Orruk Warclans, but didn't say exactly how. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SunStorm said:

Eddie just said that they will have more units in the future so there can be a full Kruleboyz army, but that also they will work alongside the Orruk Warclans, but didn't say exactly how. 

Well form the rules in the warclan book  it's easy to assum they can be in the big whaagh.  I don't think its a streach to assume they will have the orruk keyword. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much they actually know, but one of the presenters (Adam?) hinted that Yndrastra might be getting a proper standalone model in the future since she's on a sprue with another unit. Of course, there's also a chance she'll be sold with it later as a Saint Celestine type deal, or something like the Honored of the Chapter.

2 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

I'm not sure how much they actually know, but one of the presenters (Adam?) hinted that Yndrastra might be getting a proper standalone model in the future since she's on a sprue with another unit. Of course, there's also a chance she'll be sold with it later as a Saint Celestine type deal, or something like the Honored of the Chapter.

You'll be able to buy her Direct Only for £90 in ten months or something.

1 minute ago, Nos said:

Shame if you have a SC army already and dont want them looking like they fell into a vat of weight gain powder while reforging 

Get a model saw, take them apart and lengthen them in multiple places with greenstuff. You may need to saw the torso in half to take it in a bit, especially Warrior is really misshapen.

Back again for my usual long winded and unsolicited first impression. 🤠

Overall thoughts: I will try and pick up a copy but I know that I will lose out to scalpers. If I do get my hands on it, I will likely split the box. I will have to let Be’Lakor and Kragnos wait as finances are tight. It was a fun preview and I am really excited for these releases.

Trailer: It was cool seeing the new units in cinematic form but the heavy handed narration and mannered performance of the Stromast hero felt very akin to how Space Marines are portrayed in 40k. I think that GW has done a good job thus far of differentiating their stoic tough guy poster boys in terms of feel but this felt a little like a step backwards. When it left Azyr things got much more exciting. I do like that they showcased the wonderful art from the game and hinted at the bigger universe but that battle was significantly cooler. Duardin fighting off the forces of destruction really made me feel vindicated as I have been arguing that would be a central tenet of this edition and at least visually it is being represented. But overall I liked seeing the threat posed by the new army. Overall enjoyable although maybe tonally a little dull and to simillar to GW’s typical fair. I was hoping for more of the fun fairy tale feel of the recent destruction trailers.

SCE: These are by far my favourite SCE models. If I do split the box I will likely keep this side as I am looking for a heroic force to combat my forces of Chaos and Ogres. It took them awhile but they have really nailed the aesthetic for Stormcast.
Yndrasta: is my new favourite model in the Stormcast line. She is what I wanted from the range, angelic paladin warriors. I will have her be the rival of my Demon Prince but I hope she can be run as a generic hero so I can develop my own lore.
Lord Imperatant: love the helmet and the Ian McKellen face, beyond that he is a fairly plain hero. I think the command rod is a tad boring but I think as a generic hero he is great. These generic heroes are actually where I think Stormcast really succeed. Also bird-doggo is always a plus.
Knight Arcanum: I adore SCE Spellcaster models and that masked face is so dope and creepy. I like that she shows that they are not simply turning their backs on past units.
Knight Vexillor: I am typically not a massive fan of banner bearer heroes as I prefer them in units, but the religious iconography make this work better for me as a single hero holding the banner of faith in defiance of their enemy.
Praetors: These are my favourite of the non-heroes and possibly beat out Evacuators as my favourite Stormcast unit. Halberds have an amazing aesthetic and something that learned about through playing warhammer fantasy and have become my favourite medieval weapon.
Annihialtors: I will confess these are not my favourite of the line… They do seem fun to paint and will likely fit my defensive playstyle. Maybe a head swap will help out? I think they could grow on me and I might think of a fun theme or scheme for them but for now they are my least favourite.
Vindicators: are still some of the best SCE Basic troops but that is also where SCE fall short for me. I do love the shields and spears and the varied troops types. Like the banners here for sure… I will probably do Helmetless Champs and the rest in helmets to differentiate at a glance.
Knight Judicator with Gryphounds: Pretty cool pose and awesome hounds but a fairly generic hero.
Stormstrike Chariot: My most wanted unit type for SCE ,I will probably run two and I love that it is a ranged unit. Makes me think for visual coherency that I could add some Palladors for matching Cavalry.

Kruleboyz: Time to throw out your old orcs! The description of them being LOTR styled orcs absolutely fit the bill, but these still look like they fit within the Warhammer world. I much prefer them to the SCE but I don’t think they top my love of BCR. I do think they look like a challenge to paint! Also I much preferred the little preview before their reveal.
Killaboss: Terrifying hero model with an amazing mount. I do find the mash tooth pose to be a little strange. Otherwise this is a great looking hero.
Shaman and Pot Grot: Fantastic model that really tells a story. The spell being poured is an amazing detail. The assistant grots are the best part of this army.
Killaboss and Stab-grot: No one cares about this Killaboss but Stab-Grot is love Stab Grot is life.
Murknob: This dudes face is amazingly detailed and sinister. I also totally called the impaled tongue being a stinky gross part of a display banner. Again heroes carrying banners are not my favourite thing in the world but this thing is so grotesque that I love it.
Bolt Boyz: These are the best looking ranged unit I think I have seen introduced for AOS. I hope they put Lumineth to shame even if they lack the same rules.
Gutrippaz: Once again a really fantastic looking unit. They look rough and tumble generic but in the best possible way.
Hobgrot Slittaz: We getting our first hints at Chaos Dwarves?!?! I cannot wait to see that armour on some Dwarves and for them to march alongside my Chaos Warriors ;) Probably my favourite unit in the box but what they represent is bigger for me.
Beast Skewer: Cool looking warmachine, I love the grots on the base. It seems ramshackle which I hope is somehow reflected in the rules.
BreakaBoss: Now I am reconsidering which side of the box I will take. Trolls are likely my favourite troop choice in fantasy strategy games and this model is amazing. I love the hero on top and this looks deadly.

Books: The core book looks great and the other book is… neat. I will likely not read the black library novel but that is cool.

New Edition: Fun and cute little presentation.
Best Rules: we will see about that.
Heroes: My armies are very hero heavy so this is a big plus for me and really connects with what I love about the game.
Monsters: I hope this will be a massive boon to monster heavy armies such as Beastclaw Raiders. I will be happiest with new Objective control rules like with Ogre Mawtribes.
New Turn Order Mechanics: I love the turn roll off but if the balance between choosing to go second is actually tactically implemented I will be so happy and hopefully it will help with the reputation of the rule.
Reactive command abilities:  obviously this will make reacting to the opponent’s turn more active but it will be interesting to see how it balances with command points and hero mechanics. I can see this involving me putting on my best 4Kids Yugi voice claiming they activated my Trap Card until my opponent quits in frustration.
Magic Endless spells: Still not sold on the idea… at least they will be integrated into the rules themselves.
Battalions:  I feel this change is contentious but I am not a fan of the current battalion system so this speaks to me.
Narrative campaign: Likely the thing I am most tentatively excited about. I do not play 40k but I heard wonderful things about their narrative play and look forward to using it with my friends. I also have 2 armies with the hopeful addition of one of these and as such it will be fun to develop an ongoing narrative between them that I can have friends jump in and take over for one side for a game or two. Maybe they will be compelled by my own interconnected story for my armies.

In summation: I think this was a really cool and fun presentation and I really hope to get the box but if I miss it I will not feel like it was the end of the world. Both factions look great and despite preferring the Kruleboyz I am leaning towards SCE. 
Stab-grot.jpeg.f6c90dc312367f00c4eb4c1661de49d5.jpeg

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 7

Midway through the presentation I was hoping the Kruleboyz would get a ballista, and they did. Now I just want one or two more contraptions, like the old Doom Diver. Or maybe a catapult that fires a ball patterned after their shields. Like a big metal Kragnos head falling on you like the Majora's Mask moon.

• Like 1