The Rumour Thread

Great short story ! That shadowy being is probably the same we saw at the end of BR : Morathi 

IMO we are one step closer to see the Return Of Be'lakor : 

- Being called "Shadow-lord" or Dark "master", ruling over "living shadow" in a "cursed chamber" ? Check.

- Tall and Winged ? Check.

- Bestial features like claw and fangs and aura of dread power like Daemons ? Check.

- Working with Chaos-aligned agents (and through proxy) ? Check.

- Having Rumor Engines close to his old model ? Check. 

I think he wants the Eshin Skavens to sabotage the Sigmarbulum. In doing that, they will make the Stormcast not Eternals anymore. 

And "destroying the impossible" (aka a space station in Azyr) sounds more like sabotage than single target assassination. 

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Honestly I find many of the short story teaser kind of a chore to get through but not this one, really enjoyed it in its simplicity. 

I read it as a Vampire Lord originally, since I have had Vampires on my mind but re-reading it I could see it being Belakor as well.  

Off-topic but I someone else mentioned it a few posts back.  Really hoping the new Gravelords release pushes more Inter-Death conflict. 

In defence of the Be’lakor theory there are several Chaos rumour engines unsolved and the updated knights and warriors are still only available via the Start Collecting box. Perhaps a surprise Slaves to Darkness release is on the cards or, and hold on to your butts, AoS 3.0 will be versus Chaos again. 

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm going to place my bets and say this is the start of the rise of Soulblight Gravelords. I think we are looking at the beginning of the narrative that will ultimately lead to Nagash losing his complete dominion over Death.

EDIT: The Winged Shadow could be the same creature that rescued Ven Brecht. And Ven Brecht's background is full of vampire stuff. I think that lends a bit of credence to this idea.

my first thought for the "eternal" part was something with Azyr or Sigmar, but Nagash the Eternal... yeah I can see this as being the start of an intra-Death war and I am ready for that!! I think it's more likely a vampire than Malerion, but the Be'lakor theories are interesting too.

They've already confirmed it's AoS/Underworlds/Cursed City only.

@Clan's Cynic yeah that was my joke :P finally, all AOS excitement

Edited by CommissarRotke

3 hours ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Two theories: 

One theory:

something is scurry-coming soon-soon!!

an ancient evil is approaching, Yes-yes
soon we will rise-scurry to war!!!

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Love it😍😍😍

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

someone should update engines still not solved

i am usually the one but i am kinda slacking recently

I stopped paying attention to rumor engines as much since basically the entire necron refresh (except for Szeras) wasn't in rumor engines at all. I think aos 3.0's armies will be just as prevalent.

35 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

One theory:

something is scurry-coming soon-soon!!

That would be awesome!

• Like 1

Interesting story! Could very well me an assassination attempt on Nagash in the making. But rather than killing him, the most one could do is probably bind/subdue him. In the book "Nagash Undying King" we see that Nagash is becoming more and more a force of nature rather than an actual entity. Over the course of millenia he will become death itself and his corporeal form will probably vanish. 

So unless GW significantly nerfes/alters him, I don't think Nagash CAN be truly killed. Especially not by a mere Skaven Assassin - that wouldn't be epic or deserving enough.

5 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Didn't the skaven already assassinate (or tried to, can't remember) Nagash in the Old World / End times?

The Skaven screwed Nagash when Nagash first resurrected the Tomb Kings (millenia before Sigmar), screwed Nagash in the End Times (along with everybody else), and again in AoS. Skaven and Nagash do have beef with each other.

• Like 1

Just now, Marcvs said:

Didn't the skaven already assassinate (or tried to, can't remember) Nagash in the Old World / End times?

They...kinda did. Giving a warpstone infused blade to Alcadizzar, the king of Khemri of his time, to kill Nagash with it. 

And he did, Nagash died...but only for a time, as always 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harioch said:

They...kinda did. Giving a warpstone infused blade to Alcadizzar, the king of Khemri of his time, to kill Nagash with it. 

And he did, Nagash died...but only for a time, as always 

Yes, thanks, that's the episode I faintly remembered 😅

What if some magical chicanery happens and Nagash gets blasted into a bunch of fragments, each going to a Mortarch, and the Nagash model in the game becomes an "Avatar of Nagash." As much as I like him, I honestly think Nagash existing is the main reason we struggle to have interesting characters in Death---everyone has to bow down and be a yes-man/woman.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, EMMachine said:

I think it would be more interesting if we would get GW-Modells instead for the forgeworld units. It would be more accessable and the chance that we would get some lore would be higher than with forgeworld. I would have added a Troggoth Hag or some Squig Gobbas already, if they were GW instead of Forgeworld.

We did get some Hag-related lore in the WD with the Troggoth Tome Celestial and the army they show-cased did include a Hag.  It gives me hope that She will keep Her warscroll, and one day they may make a plastic version.  She is very popular!  It's also a lovely model to paint.

• Like 1

As much as I'd like the creature to be a vampire or Malerion, I think it's Be'lakor. The way they draw attention to its size makes me think it's not a vampire, and its mannerisms feel a bit too... unprofessional, is maybe a good word? For it to feel like Malerion, based on how he's been characterized as a subtle and reticent schemer in what scraps we've gotten. But since we haven't seen anything of Malerion properly yet, he's still my #2 guess after Be'lakor.

Edited by ShyishBarry
  • Like 1

I thought it was Belakor too- the description fits plus that rumour engine pic of the wings.It sounds too bestial and obviously evil to be Malerion and seems too powerful to be a vampire. I assume the victim being described is either Nagash or Sigmar. I'd say Nagash is a bigger threat to Chaos as he has an essentialy united massive army with no dissent[they have a foothold in the eight points ?] - Sigmar relies on his allies too much. But really it could be either but fracturing Nagash's power looks to me to be the more interesting plot development - Sigmar has plenty of other problems to deal with - Morathi, possibly Alarielle going nuts and a big Destruction army coming right at him. AoS certainly ain't boring!!

• Like 3