The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Settra!😝

Yeah, no! As much as I would love to see Settra make a comeback, I cannot see it coming. Especially now that he has been confirmed as a Stormcast.. :/ Additionally, Settra was never anything close to an ally to Nagash, so no on that field as well.

A few little tidbits from the book courtesy of Guerilla miniatures. Mercenaries work like allies with the additional penalty that you don't get your first command point. So it is essentially a 50 point tax. You can't take rune fathers,  terrorgheists or zombie dragons. You can't take mercenaries from more than one company in the same army. The new scenery piece costs 100 points. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 4

Terrain unboxing
Have to say it looks satisfyingly bigger in the video than in the production shots. So this is going to be nice and big for the table! 
I like how modular the whole design is, you can clearly see how with a couple of the same kits you can combine add and remove parts to your own desires. GW has also been smart with the layout, matching up segments of rock to the join line which is a very neat feature, esp if you decided to not glue the larger base segments together and just had them free held together; letting you buy one now and perhaps expand later with another kit or add yours to a friends. 

The sprues are also very clearly broken up into groups for separate moulds. This clearly means GW could split these kits down into probably not many more smaller, cheaper kits for combined building later or expansions. That's a very neat feature and has left the doors open to letting gamers get at some of the terrain at more affordable prices in the future. 

Only thing I might say is a downside is GW putting the Sigmar statue in EVERY box, kinda feel that they could have left it out of one or two, but otherwise looks like a really solid release and some big interesting terrain! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

A few little tidbits from the book courtesy of Guerilla miniatures. Mercenaries work like allies with the additional penalty that you don't get your first command point. So it is essentially a 50 point tax. You can't take rune fathers,  terrorgheists or zombie dragons. You can't take mercenaries from more than one company in the same army. The new scenery piece costs 100 points. 

Not sure why everyone has to pay for the scenery when certain armies get it for free :/ ph well, pretty much guarantees I pass on this then.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Listen, it's not that FEC and Skaven have "XX points" tax for their scenery during army building. That tax was already added during creating the battletome. Look at the example - Gloompsite Gitz scenery is part of their allegiance abilities so it's already included in their point costs. If Gitz wouldn't have that scenery (and ability it provides) they would be cheaper. We don't know how many points were added to their point values, we just know they were added.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I for one am happy that that terrain costs points as much as it does. Last thing I wanted was being forced to buy this set for some neutral scenery. Now its main purpose is being interesting terrain piece for narrative and maybe some specific army build (command point thirsty armies can really use that terrain).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

What I want in a decor in addition to  mood & view : 2 mainn points.

- LOS blocking : height/large enough to  block the enemy vision

The new scenery is tall enough to block LoS for a regular infantry unit and if stacked is big enough to block LoS to something taller (e.g. Khorgorath).  Speaking to the designer the intention is that it wasn't made too tall as your big centrepiece miniatures shouldn't be cowering behind random sections of terrain.

4 hours ago, michu said:

@PrimeElectrid That's because faction specific scenery is already included in point values of that faction units. That scenery is not faction specific so it needs a point cost.

Exactly.

Ppl can fight about if specific scenery is pointed correctly but this is the idea. Every units points in the tome assumes you are including the scenery and using it’s rules (in the same way temples, abilities, etc are factored into a units points).

No army specific scenery is “free”.

It’s included in the point cost of the rest of the army. (Albeit not always pointed correctly)

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Can FEC still use their battletraits as mercenaries ? I hope so because I really struggle to see the benefits of taking them without their double pile in and after saves.

Nope, all the fancy FEC abilities are Allegiance Abilities. The only things that work are abilities on the warscroll like summoning.  It seems to work just like allies but with some minor tweaks.  

Edited by TheWilddog
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheWilddog said:

Nope, all the fancy FEC abilities are Allegiance Abilities. The only things that work are abilities on the warscroll like summoning.  It seems to work just like allies but with some minor tweaks.  

Didn't a Community article specifically say that they keep their allegiance abilities?

Edited by mikethefish

30 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Guys. Why is nobody speaking about the extreme injustice of the birddog statues only being in the most expensive terrain kit!!!??!??????!!?!????!!!!

Because such is the price one has to pay for perfection - you couldn't well have the hounds seated upon anything less than the most impressive of terrains!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

Because such is the price one has to pay for perfection - you couldn't well have the hounds seated upon anything less than the most impressive of terrains!

But then it's harder to have terrain entirely comprised of bird dogs.

51 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

Didn't a Community article specifically say that they keep their allegiance abilities?

No, they never said anything like that. You can see the page about mercenaries in one of the review videos. The wording is exactly the same as for allies. The mercenaries have a few extra rules, like losing a command point and a specific positive and negative ability for each warband. For example the fec get a bonus on the charge but can never retreat. I think the rules for them are pretty well balanced so far.

I'm really curious about the use of mercenaries actually. GW has been rigorously obliterating any desire to take allies for quite some time now, and I rarely if ever see them in the 15-20 people in my play group. Moving the best rules into the allegiance abilities just means it's pointless to bother. I wonder why they went through the trouble of making a mercenary system if they were just going to toss even more restrictions on them. 

Edited by Grimrock

13 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I'm really curious about the use of mercenaries actually. GW has been rigorously obliterating any desire to take allies for quite some time now, and I rarely if ever see them in the 15-20 people in my play group. Moving the best rules into the allegiance abilities just means it's pointless to bother. I wonder why they went through the trouble of making a mercenary system if they were just going to toss even more restrictions on them. 

Well, for those who like to create a thematic army or prefer a narrative element to their games, the idea of mercenaries can be quite appealing.  I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what GW have done in this latest iteration of mercenaries.  If any fit with one of my armies, then that gives me yet another way to play and add even more enjoyment to my hobbying.

• Like 8