The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, KingBrodd said:

If they release a boxed set of 3 Maneaters with multiple build options I will lose my ****** mind...

Imagine if they revealed this at Adepticon.

"You know how you thought you could only get kit refreshes with new battletomes? You know how you thought we would not make highly customizable kits with a lot of extra bitz anymore? Not anymore! Now anything is possible again!"

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 5

31 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Oh, nice. So Arena of Shades is on the horizon. Maybe preorders next week?

In any case, literally giving the Scriptor Mortis a Death Note certainly works. The effect is a fun, putting a timer on whatever hero you name. Over the course of a 5 round game, it's probably pretty likely to trigger at least once, and if I read this right then it can potentially trigger mutliple times. I don't love that it doesn't work on DEATH heroes. That will make this guy a bit of a dead weight in Death mirror matches if he doesn't get any other abilties (like being a wizard or priest). So far, depending on points, my hot take is that this guy will probably be a playable casual choice, but not competitve, at least if this is his only ability. Could change if the new Nighthaunt books has extra payoffs for bringing him.

I agree here. While it is rather not as strong on the offense as it seems, it puts up a clock for the target unit and your opponent has to either take the odds or try to kill the Scriptor. It won't be as game breaking as it seems maybe on the first glance, but it will be fun to play with/against as it is able to spice things up.

Odds for triggering are btw:

Turn 1: -

Turn 2: 1 (6+ aequivalent)

Turn 3: 2 (5+ aeq.)

Turn 4: 3 (4+ aeq.)

Turn 5: 4 (3+ aeq., can trigger twice)

• Like 1

We heard you guys loved mortal wound shooting, so we removed the range, the hit roll, the wound roll and the save roll and got straight to the spicy mortal wound part. But worry not, there is also no counterplay (except more shooting, or idoneth)!

image.jpeg.215f984528f0b5cc21aeb33636a1cee9.jpeg

Such a feel good rule.

In all seriousness: who writes this? It’s neither fun for the NH player, nor the opponent it also isn‘t fluffy (otherwise Nagash would win any war asap) and they’re instantly more powerful than their god himself?

I really don’t like the path this game has taken for a while now. This rule isn’t game Breaking, it’s bad for the game.

The rule either triggers and you roll too low (average us 7 though) or you instant slay a hero. It’s so much feel bad on both sides. I‘d even prefer it turning the hero into a Nighthaunt model or sth. If you roll a 6. Mortal wounds however are the most low effort, fun killing rule they could implement.

All they ever do nowadays is MORE mortal wounds - no funny or cool effects just „remove your model please, because I added my model to my list“.

No wonder the 40K players I am with call the game „Age of Mortal Wounds“

(btw: I am a death player among many other factions)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I really like this article's asterisk quip:

"* We make this look easy, but trust us – the writing process takes a lot of time. And just imagine if Nagash was the final editor of your piece…"

"Making it look easy" isn't how I'd describe warcom but... I can understand and respect their hands are probably tied in ways that make it harder to write.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

We heard you guys loved mortal wound shooting, so we removed the range, the hit roll, the wound roll and the save roll and got straight to the spicy mortal wound part. But worry not, there is also no counterplay (except more shooting, or idoneth)!

I don't disagree with the gist, but there is at least simple counterplay to this ability: kill the Scriptor Mortis before it goes off. But yeah, there's definitely the potential for feel-bads with this ability, in that the outcome is extremely swingy, based on only a few dice rolls and could easily mean the difference between winning and losing.

That said, Nighthaunt and mortal wounds have always gone together. Olynder has like four different ways to inflict mortal wounds. I expect that will continue to be a heavy element in their theme, whether or not the trend continues with future armies.

• Like 1

I appreciate the attempt at writing an actually interesting ability for this NH guy, but man is it going to cause some feel-bad moments. It's basically, "I don't have to do anything and get a chance to do 2d6 mortals to your hero every turn."

No matter what turn it happens in, you're probably going to be pissed when your hero suddenly takes 2d6 mortals from a dude sitting in a cave on the opposite edge of the board somewhere.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I wonder what would happen if a group of scriptors wrote:

- Archaon

- Sigmar

- Alarielle

- Teclis

- Khorne

into their books.

GG AoS‘s setting I‘d say.  🤣

Lore wise its easy to justify how these can't be killed by just being written into the books, those names aren't their true names.

They‘d ignore Khorne given the performance of his followers.
Khorne is that one guy who‘s always on the short-list but never gets picked so over time, he himself becomes a meme.
The scriptores in their quarter annual meetings would always speak highly of him, like they‘d surely pick him this time, only for Khorne to get the short end of the stick again because, you know, Battle Tome Skaven introduced a Clan Rat Character named Squiggles who suddenly gets priority.

• Haha 2

I think it is a great rule. What I hate the most about wargaming is having the armies interact with each other. The best part of the hobby is to have your lovingly crafted and painted models simply be removed from play. What we've also learned in the past is how much fun super-swingy and all or nothing rolls are.

NPEs are for scrubs, the next cool thing is No Player Experience. Like magic trick, ta-daa, we just made your model... disappear. Can't feel bad if you're not given a chance to feel anything at all. Plus, it makes games faster to get through! Life is suffering and the void is staring back. All bow to Malal!

On the flip side, it made me think of one of my favourite movie scenes:

ILfmOtcJ7D9wD8fpRsaKPMZGbQXUC9ywJFex7EMg

Disclaimer: This post is tongue in cheek but also, wow, the lack of creativity and MW spam is too much. The Crossboos, I'm suspecting, will only add more to the MW pile.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

The rule either triggers and you roll too low (average us 7 though) or you instant slay a hero. It’s so much feel bad on both sides. I‘d even prefer it turning the hero into a Nighthaunt model or sth. If you roll a 6. Mortal wounds however are the most low effort, fun killing rule they could implement.

At a guess at what the designers were thinking is that it creates a narrative in the game where you have a race to kill the scriptor before judgement is called. Not knowing points and how tough a scriptor is to kill but I don’t think this is all that bad. I think most armies have a way of getting to one of these by turn 3. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I wonder what would happen if a group of scriptors wrote:

- Archaon

- Sigmar

- Alarielle

- Teclis

- Khorne

into their books.

GG AoS‘s setting I‘d say.  🤣

I always imagined in game death just meant being driven off the battlefield especially for special characters. 

Also are people not overestimating the power of this ability. There's a fairly high chance it does nothing at all.  If you hit someone you have to wait until the next turn to choose a new target and then you have to wait until the turn after that to make another judgement roll. You can do a maximum of three rolls per game and you have to roll extremely hot and survive until the end of the battle to achieve that. 

10 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I always imagined in game death just meant being driven off the battlefield especially for special characters. 

Also are people not overestimating the power of this ability. There's a fairly high chance it does nothing at all.  If you hit someone you have to wait until the next turn to choose a new target and then you have to wait until the turn after that to make another judgement roll. You can do a maximum of three rolls per game and you have to roll extremely hot and survive until the end of the battle to achieve that. 

Comparisons to mortal wound shooting are definitely misplaced, in my opinion. This ability has no alpha strike potential and is doubly random (random activation and random damage). That alone will make the Scriptor not show up in competitive games unless he also does other stuff. The effect is strong when it goes off, but it's way too unreliable to include in serious lists.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

At a guess at what the designers were thinking is that it creates a narrative in the game where you have a race to kill the scriptor before judgement is called. Not knowing points and how tough a scriptor is to kill but I don’t think this is all that bad. I think most armies have a way of getting to one of these by turn 3. 

'Most' is the key word there unfortunately. I play a lot of chaos and I can confidently say that if the nighthaunt player hides their character well then Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Slaves to Darkness will all struggle to kill the model before the end of the game. It's not impossible, but it isn't trivial either.

I don't think the rule is broken in a competitive sense as it's way too random to be relied on, doesn't affect death armies at all so it's just wasted points there, and against ranged heavy armies he's just going to get sniped out ASAP. It's just one of those rules that'll suck if you ever get on the wrong side of it. Losing a lynchpin support hero turn 2 with 0 interaction because your opponent double turned and then rolled a 1 is just going to suck so much. Like re-rack and start over suck. On the other hand for the nighthaunt player paying for this new model, naming a character, and then never triggering the ability all game because you keep rolling 6's is going to suck just as much. I guess my hope is that everyone sees the issues and I never actually encounter it on the table.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

My issue with that is: The only thing that can actually take it down in time is shooting (once again). Every rule that enforces the player to go down the "kill something" path isn't good. It always leads to power projection as the best tool.

Other possible options that actually work like the game does, without being super feel bad:
That cursed hero always strikes last and all bonuses to his save are ignored until the scriptor dies. If the scriptor lives at the end of the battle and the cursed hero lives as well, the hero counts as being slain and the NH player scores an additional 2 victory points. 

And that's just off of the top of my head. GW simply tossed buckets of mortal wounds at us and expects us to like it (thought, as surveys show: We hate it). It's so uncreative and plainly bad.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Such a feel good rule.

okey dokey, so we 12 dice ashstorm on him, get the chaos dwarf infernal artillery, fire all the rockets at him, dreadquake mortar and hell cannons on him turn 1 - and he's mist.

Oh hang about... sorry... wrong game.

How about Bret trebucket and archer storm?

Oh hang about... sorry....

erm...  erm...

stuff it, I'll charge him with some marauders. 🤷‍♂️

Age of Sigmar, ha, more like…

- Age of Sweatiness

- Age of Neckbeards 

- Age of Mortal Wounds 

- Age of Feelbads 

- Age of Getting Body-slammed by “That Guy” 

- Age of “We looked at the survey and took it into consideration” 

- Age of “Get Gud at the game, kid”  

- Age of “I’m gonna do what’s called a pro gamer move” 

- Age of “Nothing personal, kid.” 

- Age of Matt Ward’s Return 

• Like 2

Just now, Nezzhil said:

The Aspiring Deathbringer was removed from the store today.

To be honest, if I were part of Blades of Khorne I'd probably remove myself from the store too :P

(I hope he gets a remake, he's a neat model even if a little weedy at the moment - same as Exhalted Hero of Chaos to Chaos Lord, I like models that are directly under another one narratively and build themselves up)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7