The Rumour Thread

I love them! They are Chaos Knights in better :D 3+ Save, 6+ Undead aftersave, healing, a fluffy banner upgrade and an amazing charge rule. While fluffwise the 1" lance is weird I get why gw simplified the profile and wouldn't complain them to do so with some other units. This is really a warscroll that is fun to read, but it still doesn't seem overwhelming like LRL, which is propably caused by the fact that I knew the old Warscroll already.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Feii said:

well it was. look up some chivalric codes and what they say about infidels. 

That doesn't matter in the slightest. It's playing off the archetypal image of the noble chivalric knight, not the historical reality. That's the common image of knighthood: heroic warriors who only fight for good causes and only fight on fair terms and spare lesser foes. That's the image the blood knights have of themselves, only they're warped because they're bloodsucking monsters who fight for fighting's sake and crush anyone that gets in their way. Historical reality doesn't come into it.

The sentence is fine. There is a certain irony that yes, blood knights are not that much worse than real life killers in heavy armour with horses, but that's clearly not what a two-sentence warscroll description is going for.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I think the intent is clear. So either we are going to see a change in 3.0 with what "normal moves" are, as several people have mentioned, OR we are going to get an FAQ from GW saying that when Blood Knights use this ability they can still charge afterwards.

To clarify, that would require an errata and not an FAQ (though people use these terms interchangably)

Can't determine if being written with 3.0 in mind is a good thing or a bad thing lol DoK, Maggotkin, and IDK were written with 2.0 in mind and were quite strong competitively for a while. But Nighthaunt and the 2.0 SCE tome didn't really work out at all. Where will Soulblight land and does anyone have a crystal ball they're willing to use to tell me? 🤣

Edited by relic456
  • Like 1

Just now, relic456 said:

Can't determine if being written for 3.0 in mind is a good thing or a bad thing lol DoK, Maggotkin, and IDK were written with 2.0 in mind and were quite strong competitively for a while. But Nighthaunt and the 2.0 SCE tome didn't really work out at all. Where will Soulblight land and does anyone have a crystal ball they're willing to use to tell me? 🤣

"Reply hazy, please try again"

I think I got scammed

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Still-young said:

There’s been a pattern thus far though (or rather there’s been no pattern). If they break it, I’ll shut up about the words not being related to the rumour picture. But they haven’t yet. 

Not entirely certain you understood what I was saying.... I didn't for a second suggest that you were wrong.... Just that your line of reasoning is flawed, the two are entirely mutually exclusive.

+++ Mod Hat On +++
Just a reminder - this forum is for Age of Sigmar.

Can I ask some of the references about the real world are left out as I’ve had to do some editing in this topic. Also when referring to references about the real world, please choose your words wisely as the ones I had to remove were quite insulting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

A calvary-based Blood Knight army is going to look awesome on the tabletop. It also seems so far, from the rules preview, that their going to have some bite (no pun intended) in combat. 

The move rule is interesting, and as others have said it may either be an indication of things to come in AoS 3 regarding how movement will work, or a FAQ will need to drop for clarification on some of the confusion. 

However, like anything, rules are only half the story: once the point values come out we can get a much better estimate of how practical they’ll be on the tabletop. My guess is that they’re going to be pretty expensive  considering how elite a Vampire calvary unit is, both in lore and from the rules previews. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Get em GAZ!!! GET EM!!! 🔨💥

😄

On a side note, I really like the profile pic; is it from Silent Hill? I’ve been playing the Fallout 4 Whispering Hills mod for a couple months now, brings back memories (no pun intended again) from the PS1 and early PS2 era days. I heard a rumor Kojima is making another Silent Hill.  

So, after doing a bit of mathhammering and thinking, I'd guess that Blood Knights are a great unit, probably costed around 250 points to be properly balanced. And I do find this unit true strenght to be quite interesting indeed.

Blood Knights do not seem amazing as damage dealers. There are quite a few other units that can do good charge damage, even 10 Wild Riders (260pts) can outdamage 5 Blood Knights on the charge by 3 wounds versus 4+ save. Sure they will get their charge bonus every single vampire turn, but in the enemy combat phase they do lose almost half of the unit damage. So, their damage seems just quite solid, even if low rend. Their base mobility is also not impressive - 10 move for heavy cavalry is simply standart.

But! Their tankiness is quite amazing. 15 wounds on 3+ save, D3 heal every combat phase with kills, 6+ Restless Dead (which probably can still be improved to 5+ and add rerolling ones...) and even probably healing/returning models from faction and heroes magic and abilities gives them A LOT of staying power. But that's the thing - Blood Knights don't want to be staying in the same place! Unless you can kill them outright or block them with a huge conga line of your own cavalry, every movement phase they will choose themselfs a new engagement or will simply refresh their charge bonus. You cannot tarpit them. Infantry screens are pitstops for them and your backline mages and archers are always within their reach. And this I like. New Blood Knights are tanky and moderately deadly avalanche that you can only stop by killing them. They won't quite like fighting a lot of cavalry, getting charged first or simply get shot by missile focus fire, so they will still have quite a few nice counterplays.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, relic456 said:

Can't determine if being written with 3.0 in mind is a good thing or a bad thing lol DoK, Maggotkin, and IDK were written with 2.0 in mind and were quite strong competitively for a while. But Nighthaunt and the 2.0 SCE tome didn't really work out at all. Where will Soulblight land and does anyone have a crystal ball they're willing to use to tell me? 🤣

I might be in the minority here but I am actually fairly impressed that they were able to keep DOK, Maggotkin, IDK and LoN's 2.0 rules around for so long. It actually makes me more hopeful for 3.0 but this is my first time following through an edition as I started AOS with 2.0 and only played WFB during the course of 6th ed. Ironically, the early armies of 2.0 did not fair nearly as well, but they still maintained a decent presence for a while. I will also say that there were definitely some sub-optimal releases peppered throughout and that for a game of this size to have true balance is extremely difficult for designers. 

It will be really interesting to see how models and current rules will impact the new edition. I feel command points are clearly going to be a primary focus of gameplay more than ever. Hence, I feel command point impaired armies will be more directly affected by the change and may see an updated tome more quickly. Obviously there are other factors such as popularity, sales and model releases that will also impact the order of releases. 

I think SCE will be in a similar boat each edition as setting a benchmark as the first army to get a tome that will invariably be surpassed. But as I have argued a few times before it is not a loss as they are guaranteed to be the first in line for an update each edition. Whereas I feel certain armies will languish in wait until the end of the edition's lifespan and be top of the pile for a short period. C'est la vie, the life of playing a living game system with perpetual releases. Personally, I am excited and I might get some lovely angelic Paladins to battle my demon worshipping knights and Hangry ogres knowing full well that they will likely be poorly balanced match ups. 

• Like 2

They keep revealing amazing save values. 2+ on the stormcast paladin and 3+ on the vampire knights. A generic CA that gives +1 to save as a charge reaction and Mystic Shield turning into +1 to saves according to rumors. Even if the buff is capped at +1 we are looking to regular 1+ saves and 2+ saves.

I foresee some power creep in rend values too, probably a core rule like having an additional -1 rend when charging, some form of generic CA or even a third common spell that all wizars will know.

Speaking of wich, that would be an amazing way of expadning the core rules, adding a third generic spell for all casters.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Yoid said:

They keep revealing amazing save values. 2+ on the stormcast paladin and 3+ on the vampire knights. A generic CA that gives +1 to save as a charge reaction and Mystic Shield turning into +1 to saves according to rumors. Even if the buff is capped at +1 we are looking to regular 1+ saves and 2+ saves.

I foresee some power creep in rend values too, probably a core rule like having an additional -1 rend when charging, some form of generic CA or even a third common spell that all wizars will know.

Speaking of wich, that would be an amazing way of expadning the core rules, adding a third generic spell for all casters.

More rend instead of more mortal wounds is good though, I hope they go that route.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

Now the way it is written, no part of the rule actually overrides the general rules. It doesn't say "As though there was no unit within 3" " or something like that it just says the unit "can make a normal move" which is exactly what the core rules state anyways.

Exactly. In order to invoke the idea that "special rule overrides core rule" you need an actual conflict between the two, not just a wish.

In this case, you can apply both rules without conflict. We may not like the result, but wishful thinking doesn't allow us to invent a rule.

As it stands, the Ruin rule isn't very useful at all. I strongly suspect there will be changes in the new core rules governing moves that will let the special rule work most of us here think it should. We just have to wait.

7 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

As it stands, the Ruin rule isn't very useful at all. I strongly suspect there will be changes in the new core rules governing moves that will let the special rule work most of us here think it should. We just have to wait.

My first thought on reading the rule was the implication that the core rule will change so that units cannot make a normal move if within 3" of an enemy unit.  Logically, then, retreat will no longer be a normal move.  I'm interested to see what it will be.  Perhaps making a normal move within 3" or retreating will require a command ability as standard - more command points; more situations requiring their use.

42 minutes ago, Yoid said:

We already had intense power creep in rend and mortal wounds in 2nd edition. Stuff living longer than one round, or one turn, or even one phase would be a nice change of pace.

If we keep the same amount of damage done in 2nd edition but bumped up defenses (wounds, saves, etc.) I think it would make 3rd edition a lot more enjoyable.

• Like 4