The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

I disagree. I have 3k points worth of updated free guild and have to play as grand order alliance to really stand a chance against decent armies with a battletome. The major reason is just the predicable nature of the humans. Blob army relying on guns and numbers. Easy to defeat - pick off gunners with spells to reduce their to hit bonuses and kill the general and the humans fold like a deck of cards. 

To be clear I was referring entirely to the fluff. I've no real opinion or experience of how free guild play in game I'm afraid. I was trying to say that as far as I can see theres no reason a new faction of mostly humans would be at a disadvantage narratively speaking against Daughters of Khaine or Flesh Eater Courts or Gloonspite Gitz

• Like 2

Just now, ZealousJ said:

To be clear I was referring entirely to the fluff. I've no real opinion or experience of how free guild play in game I'm afraid. I was trying to say that as far as I can see theres no reason a new faction of mostly humans would be at a disadvantage narratively speaking against Daughters of Khaine or Flesh Eater Courts or Gloonspite Gitz

Sorry my mistake. You're right, with a bit of tweaking it would be fairly easy to pull out some models for the humans. A big warmachine powered by the storms would be cool. The collegiate arcane would also need to be pulled into the allegiance as well. 

Just now, Saxon said:

Sorry my mistake. You're right, with a bit of tweaking it would be fairly easy to pull out some models for the humans. A big warmachine powered by the storms would be cool. The collegiate arcane would also need to be pulled into the allegiance as well. 

No trouble at all. I wasnt overly clear.

And yeah you're right, I'd totally forgotten about the wizards. That could lend a very interesting twist to things too

3 hours ago, TheGreatEnchanter said:

I appreciate that this forum is a place for AoS positivity, but surely I’m allowed to say I like the system but hate the lore without being told to not play a game?  

Yeah I also enjoy the system but am not a fan of the lore, especially everything to do with Stormcast.

I play because the system is fun and I love my Beastmen. 

How would humans be less surviveable in a Mortal Realm than say, Night Goblins?  Humans just need an armor and uniform rehab to not look so "War of the Roses' era.  This is a setting where, after some fluff reinvention, the standard Human knight could be a Demigryph knight rather than a simple horseman.  Remember that humans are who keep Azyr and the base level of Stormcast settlements running.  They could have a pretty epic level of control of faith and mysticism compared to WHFB humans.

In the second book of the Realmgate novels there was a description of human 'chronomancers' actually reversing the effect of Chaos on the land of Chamon with their magic, as well as human artizans rebuilding ruins to occupy.

Edited by Aegisgrimm

I'm glad they pull back orks and goblins. AoS needs to continue its current path, with non-generic factions. I believe that's the main reason it's been successful. From what we hear and see these AoS only factions are the best selling ones as well (Kharadrons and Idoneth). 

In my opinion generic humans, aelves and duardin should stay in the lore but shouldn't receive minis. We had hundreds of games/movies/books with averege joe humans, orks and elves. And still more are coming. It's time for flying goblin pirates and duardin driving large mechanized bastions. Not some boring militia humans and smart arogant elves in long robes. We've already had plenty of that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

I'm glad they pull back orks and goblins. AoS needs to continue its current path, with non-generic factions. I believe that's the main reason it's been successful. From what we hear and see these AoS only factions are the best selling ones as well (Kharadrons and Idoneth). 

In my opinion generic humans, aelves and duardin should stay in the lore but shouldn't receive minis. We had hundreds of games/movies/books with averege joe humans, orks and elves. And still more are coming. It's time for flying goblin pirates and duardin driving large mechanized bastions. Not some boring militia humans and smart arogant elves in long robes. We've already had plenty of that. 

It's sad, but true. I will always be a fan of "good old" grumbling dwarfs, but at the same time not every generic human warrior, elven mage or dwarven miner need a miniature...

I see Freecity battletome - maximum we can get for "old world" factions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

Imho, I don't see any problem with Duardins, Aelves or the average Joe. Just give them some new aesthetics to visualy break from other generic fantasy settings and we are ready to go. Look at free guild, they ride demi-gryphons, so push that over 11, expand the lore a little bit, give them a new flavour and we have a perfect army for AoS (it's just what happened to Gloomspite Gits). 

• Like 4

I would also advice reading Black Pyramide for everyone interested in the current lore of the Freeguild. Although it focusses on the conquest of a Shysh city and on the Hallowed Knights... The freeguild play an important role in the conquest of said city. It consists of a lot of humans with rifles, spearmen in front and outriders with multishot guns. So the lore, in that book at least, hasn't progressed the humans past the current range. And that's a force of humans from an Azyr city, so with all the backing of the Realm of Heavens. Also a lot of Ironweld and Collegiate Arcane and the politics between them.

Highly recommended: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Aos-Hallowed-Knights-Black-Pyramid-2018

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DinoTitanedition said:

Um...sorry, I`m not a native speaker and am just wondering...what does this mean?

This Employee Orientation video should tell you all you need to know

sorry about the - ahem - filters they put on it for creative effect. 

Spoiler

The joke is that most "leak" or "rumour" photos are always blurry, out of focus and really really rubbish. So the joke is that the camera is so bad its a potato.

This video was put out by GW when one of the new Fiends of Slaanesh Sprues got sold in a block of used sprues to an ebay dealer who put it up for sale along with the rest. The resulting photo, of course, went like wildfire around the internet because it was new and a new sneak peak at the sprue (and was the first we saw of them). 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheGreatEnchanter said:

I appreciate that this forum is a place for AoS positivity, but surely I’m allowed to say I like the system but hate the lore without being told to not play a game?  

Detest is a strong word man.  Of all the things in the world to detest right now, a specific form of fairytale over a slightly different one seems like an odd choice. 

You might not agree with the lore but it’s harmless and not remotley hateful or problematic.  And the free rules are something you can apply to literally any minis in existence, you don’t have to even rub up against the lore if you don’t want, play it using Warhammer minis, historical minis, honestly you don’t have to read the word Stormcast ever again and you can still play the game in its entirety if the system is what you like. Go forth and enjoy thyself.

Given all that freedom and flexibility it seems weird to use such strong language about something you can simply ignore. Among a fan base of people who either don’t hate it or have the capacity to look past the things they don’t like about it  (which it is easy to do) rolling in and explaining you detest it isn’t going to come across well. 

Edited by Nos
  • Thanks 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

14 hours ago, TheGreatEnchanter said:

Yes, and personally I think someone telling you that your choice of words is a problem ("detest" whine whine - nailing his post down to the use of a particular verb just shows that you never wanted to give a single thought to his argument anyways, so don't reply) is a problem in itself. I agree that the setting really needs something to ground it/some more work as I still don't feel like I really know all that much about it. Endless space with countless worlds is a simpler universe to relate than the realms at the moment - so GW needs to find a way to make people relate to it.

I don't know the perfect answer but I think some kind of limitation is actually the key - either you limit the endless realms (i know, I know, they are so unstable at the edges that they kinda have ends - but then again each one of them is still so huge they make Earth seem tiny) or you limit what like 95% of towns/cities look like (with the floating city in the skies being an exception and not just one particular special snowflake out of 1000000000 snowflakes (the others being underwater, built in trees, built on cogs rotating around themselves and other stuff) so that people can at least get some kind of feel.... or you limit the perspective by finally adding a more normal perspective. 

Right now it looks like Darkoath will be the most normal faction there is (not counting the old ones from WHFB) - and Chaos-worshipping barbarians aren't exactly normal either. 

I really like the whole He-Man/Diablo vibe they got going and love AoS for making my whole group care about WHFB once more but they need to give us some reference "fast" (it's okay to take your time actually) and stop doing the whole 10000000 snowflakes thing, it's poison in a way as the mind can#t construct a definite image. Dumb example: I got no clue what a standard house in the mortal realms looks like. In WHFB I knew exactly what to expect. Hell, even in Eternia or Sanctuary (from Diablo) those things were clearly defined. I'd like AoS to give us some kind of idea as this will actually add to it being something tangible, not make the whole thing seem smaller. I know they do this because they want people to be able to make up their own ideas (like houses insides living trees in Ghyran or floating cities in Chamon) but in the end us consumers want to build on an existing world, not one we have to create ourselves. We already create our army for said world.

Just my 2 cents, might be worth less than that but I get if people think something is amiss - and I'm very fond of AoS so far and don't mind Stormcast one bit (I don't find them very interesting though, but hey, everyone's taste differs).

• Like 2

Considering that BL are pumping out dozens of books, short stories, novellas etc I'd say they're not doing too bad at fleshing out a universe that's only been around for a couple of years.

I mean I'm not the most dedicated reader but just from some of the ones I've read recently (Soul Wars, Inferno 2, Plague Garden, Bone Desert, Warqueen) I feel like I have enough to go on to imagine what life might be like for normal people in some cities in Shyish, or in small desert trading outposts built around caravan routes or on an oasis, or very, very roughly what a Darkoath war band society might look like, or how Ogors get their kicks in their down time, or how some ordinary humans view Stormcast etc etc etc.

I don't know maybe it's just me but it seems like they're fleshing out this world(s) fairly quickly, you just have to be actually reading what they're putting out but at the same time leaving plenty of scope to let your own imagination run riot and do your own thing.

I really enjoy reading about established places but mainly as it makes me imagine what else might be out there.

• Like 11

Oh, I certainly don't want to give off the vibe that I doubt they'll get there in time and create a great new high-fantasy world.

I just think they need to do it in such a way that people who don't read the books still get a great grasp of what this world (or these worlds) are supposed to look like. They did that in WHFB and 40k already - long, long before fans of the setting got a new book every few weeks and usually only had the armybooks (and the odd (I mean odd as in irregular, not weird) story in White Dwarf) to go by. If they can add some of that crucial world-building from the BL into their gaming supplies (like the next core books etc., the last one was a first try to explain things better - but hell, even the video with Phil Kelly explaining stuff left lots of people dumbfounded, it's kinda messy), many people (myself included) would be less confused and much more into it.

I come to this forum because I like age of sigmar, I am not a massive fan of the lore and doubt I will be. However, there are some things I really love like the idoneth deepkin and the idea of a vast setting where nearly anything goes. 

After 4 years I'm a bit sick of reading people complaining about how the old world was amazing and sigmar is ******. Especially when followed by comments about stormcast being space marines, kharadron overlords being a joke or some stupid comment about flying sharks. 

If you're not that bothered by the lore or feel it needs to be fleshed out that's fine. But if you need to come on an age of sigmar forum just to post about how you detest the lore and only like WHFB armies then that's going to rub me the wrong way. A lot of us are tired of having to justify our enjoyment of this game. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

Yes, and personally I think someone telling you that your choice of words is a problem ("detest" whine whine - nailing his post down to the use of a particular verb just shows that you never wanted to give a single thought to his argument anyways, so don't reply) is a problem in itself. I agree that the setting really needs something to ground it/some more work as I still don't feel like I really know all that much about it. Endless space with countless worlds is a simpler universe to relate than the realms at the moment - so GW needs to find a way to make people relate to it. 

I don't know the perfect answer but I think some kind of limitation is actually the key - either you limit the endless realms (i know, I know, they are so unstable at the edges that they kinda have ends - but then again each one of them is still so huge they make Earth seem tiny) or you limit what like 95% of towns/cities look like (with the floating city in the skies being an exception and not just one particular special snowflake out of 1000000000 snowflakes (the others being underwater, built in trees, built on cogs rotating around themselves and other stuff) so that people can at least get some kind of feel.... or you limit the perspective by finally adding a more normal perspective. 

Right now it looks like Darkoath will be the most normal faction there is (not counting the old ones from WHFB) - and Chaos-worshipping barbarians aren't exactly normal either. 

I really like the whole He-Man/Diablo vibe they got going and love AoS for making my whole group care about WHFB once more but they need to give us some reference "fast" (it's okay to take your time actually) and stop doing the whole 10000000 snowflakes thing, it's poison in a way as the mind can#t construct a definite image. Dumb example: I got no clue what a standard house in the mortal realms looks like. In WHFB I knew exactly what to expect. Hell, even in Eternia or Sanctuary (from Diablo) those things were clearly defined. I'd like AoS to give us some kind of idea as this will actually add to it being something tangible, not make the whole thing seem smaller. I know they do this because they want people to be able to make up their own ideas (like houses insides living trees in Ghyran or floating cities in Chamon) but in the end us consumers want to build on an existing world, not one we have to create ourselves. We already create our army for said world.

Just my 2 cents, might be worth less than that but I get if people think something is amiss - and I'm very fond of AoS so far and don't mind Stormcast one bit (I don't find them very interesting though, but hey, everyone's taste differs).

The problem is that you will never please everyone. I personally can't stand the limitation. I still think the realm lore retcon was the worst thing they did to the game, and I tend to ignore it (which has caused people to loose their minds, as it's 'incorrect'!) 

Saying ''but in the end us consumers want to build on an existing world, not one we have to create ourselves'' is speaking for a whole community , and it's not even correct. AoS started out with a huge community of imaginative world builders. Plenty of us play the game because we get to build our own world, we don't all want to be spoonfed from GW- which is what a large percentage of 'returning' AoS players seem to want. There is no real wrong way to enjoy the game, but for every 'set in stone' piece of lore GW bring to the game, that is one less open part of the lore for the players that love the sandbox nature of AoS and not surprisingly, there are a high number of people that don't care about the lore, that only play AoS for the tournament/matched play style of gaming, they are not the ones buying the novels and audios, so why does it matter to much if they have a clear image in their heads of what housing looks like in the realms. 

I can tell you right now exactly what housing looks like in the realms- it's what ever you want it to look like. If you want to roll with the classic Fachwerkhäuser houses of the Empire, you can. You want your troops to live in floating spore domes that transform in to attack craft, you can.  You don't need GW to define these things. Once they start defining the whole universe there will be no room left for imagination and once that happens you end up with the same thing that happened to WFB, a complete world where GW have no room to create anything new, for fear players complain it doesn't fit. There was no room in WFB for GW to come up with new ideas, new forces. The sandbox nature of AoS means they can create seas elves or sky dwarves or drug goblins or brain whales or whatever, with out treading on the toes of any other creator (including their own)

24 minutes ago, MitGas said:

in such a way that people who don't read the books still get a great grasp of what this world

And this right here is the biggest issue with all the people complaining that the realms are not fleshed out enough. People that complain that they realms or the lore is not well defined tend to be the people that don't bother reading the books. They want easy answers from a wikipedia entry. I've only read a handful of books and each one of them (bar one) has been pretty good at describing cities, buildings, and the people, all of which are of freeguild design (or at least of human design).

If someone is not interested enough in the lore to pick up one book to read, then are they really interested enough to need to know what shape the buildings are?

People had less of an idea of WFB lore back at it's peak. No one picked up every single army book or read all the novel publications (there were more than just books) and not everyone had access to the internet back then (though there were some absolute gems on it even back then- I still have my print outs some where of the snotling battletome/40k codex!) Yet I don't recall a single time anyone complained that the GW were doing a bad job because buildings were not well defined.

+++ Mod Hat On +++

Can we please have some rumours or discussion about rumours. You have all wandered off the path in the Woods and it would be good if you got back to it ;) 

Woops. Sorry!

Edited by RexHavoc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you take WHFB 3rd edition as the point where they properly started fleshing out a scenario then in the AoS equivalent we're only in about 1991 at the moment and I can assure you we have a lot more to go on now than we did then.

I've got last year's core book and the Nighthaunt and Gloomspite battle tomes in front of me, there's 220 pages of world building in the corebook (which I think they handled pretty well even if at 220 pages it's still very much an overview), before you get to the rules and both battletomes are over 50% fluff for their respective forces.

I totally can see people being overwhelmed by the scale of the new setting, especially when compared to the incredibly mapped out (and so limited) old world but honestly I think they're doing a good job to get it all up to scratch, could they do more?

Sure probably, I think wargaming does tend to attract polar opposites, people that love being given a blank canvas a few paints and told to go wild and people THATUTTERLY  LOATHE the idea of colouring outside the lines and want everything perfectly squared away and it will be hard to reconcile that.

It's clear a lot of people want more structure so maybe they need to have something like the mini-sites with timelines they've put up around big launched that's constantly updated with what's happened (and links to where to read in more depth (actually this is something they should do and would probably sell a few more novels), but keep it loose.

I like that we're not just dealing with a linear series of events and BL writers are fleshing out stories from various times, and we have a universe big enough that they can do this without someone pedantically whining about x couldn't have happened then because y was doing z to w.

--------------------------------

Edit: so basically they should just keep this site updated... https://ageofsigmar.com/timeline/

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

After 4 years I'm a bit sick of reading people complaining about how the old world was amazing and sigmar is ******. Especially when followed by comments about stormcast being space marines, kharadron overlords being a joke or some stupid comment about flying sharks. 

Be annyoed as much as you like but such is the truth.

KO rules are a joke and failure, SE are copy/paste of SM from "the other setting", and yes some people find idea of flying sharks funny. 

3 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

I can tell you right now exactly what housing looks like in the realms- it's what ever you want it to look like. If you want to roll with the classic Fachwerkhäuser houses of the Empire, you can. You want your troops to live in floating spore domes that transform in to attack craft, you can.  You don't need GW to define these things. Once they start defining the whole universe there will be no room left for imagination and once that happens you end up with the same thing that happened to WFB, a complete world where GW have no room to create anything new, for fear players complain it doesn't fit. There was no room in WFB for GW to come up with new ideas, new forces. The sandbox nature of AoS means they can create seas elves or sky dwarves or drug goblins or brain whales or whatever, with out treading on the toes of any other creator (including their own)

This. so much this. Most of the questions after Phil Kelly's video was "But how the lives of normal people look like in AoS? He didn't say anything about that.". The answer is: however you imagine it. Does GW really have to tell as how people in AoS plant turnips or milk cows? It's not that hard to imagine - closer to the centre of realm they are doing it like in our world, but closer to the we can have milk with healing properties or turnips the size of elephant. That's for us to decide. GW said that AoS will have maps for some regions and some will be forever blank for us to fill.

And @eciu stop acting like your opinions are some universal truths. 

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1