The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

Haha no, sorry perhaps I explained myself badly. The point was that even if they released my dream faction today. (Dispossessed reinmagined just for the record) That wouldn’t get me as excited as a release two years ago did. 

The release rate is so high that I’m not capable of spending time on everything I would want to and as a result I’m following everything that creates hype less and less.  

Case and point: we prefer 1 to 1,5K games in our group and have a fondness for Skirmish games. So ghb19 announces meeting engagements and I buy into that as it mixes things up for us. But between holidays and work we haven’t had much meeting engagements yet. So Warcry, which would be perfect for us, is on the back burner. So that an expansion is dropped is cool and eventually i reckon I’m going to get it so I can play the war queen (really like that model). 

But if something between now and when I get around to Warcry which grabs our attention more comes... we’ll sadly end up skipping it. And that knowledge means that I’m losing interest in new releases fast. Because what’s the point? I’m not doing anything with them until later and it’s probably outdated by then anyway. 

*again it works so it’s a valid strategy but I do wonder a bit how big the target audience is that can keep up or if it’s more shooting buckshot and seeing what sticks. 

This is a "it's not you, it's me" problem.  And TBH I get it. I don't fully agree but I get it. I got my War Cry on release day and cracked it open imemdiately. Within a couple of days my energy for painting and building disappeared completely for weeks.  There was too much in the box. So I've been using the Terrain and the rules with my DOK and NH models and the warbands are sitting on the sprue.

This happens in every hobby. I lost all interest in watching football (soccer) for years because there so much of it on TV. I needed a break. 

The last GW survey I took had a really interesting question it asks how often to you check warhammer community. It had the option "multiple times a day". So many of us probably fit into that category. We probably should dial that back or we will loose interest. Too much of a good thing and all that.

*And yes I've already checked WC multiple times today :( even though I know its 40K season so I'm not preaching*

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 1

I can't tell if serious.......

So we complain now that there is too much stuff in a box ?

I am also confused by "to much and to fast new stuff"

Where is all this lots of new stuff? The last thing new were the Idoneth and the Nighthaunt in 2018  if i am not completely wrong. Already existing armies getting a rewritten book is hardly new stuff.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

his is a "it's not you, it's me" problem.  And TBH I get it. I don't fully agree but I get i

Oh absolutely, that’s why I tried to reiterate it in every post. It’s very personal. Again just a reply to someone up in the thread who voiced the same. 

48 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

The last GW survey I took had a really interesting question it asks how often to you check warhammer community. It had the option "multiple times a day"

That’s an interesting thought. Were the answers ever made public? 

18 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

I can't tell if serious.......

So we complain now that there is too much stuff in a box ?

Yes, and the complained is clearly not about the box but the available time and effort to get everything out it said box. 

19 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

I am also confused by "to much and to fast new stuff"

Where is all this lots of new stuff? The last thing new were the Idoneth and the Nighthaunt in 2018  if i am not completely wrong. Already existing armies getting a rewritten book is hardly new stuff.

Yes, you are completely wrong. Well not really of course. ;) But your definition of new is apparently full new factions, nothing else counts. In my definition of new releases rewritten books count, new ghb’s count, underworlds counts, Warcry counts, forbidden power counts, the exclusive store birthday models I want to paint count. But again within your definition it doesn’t and fair play. 

Basically if GW releases something usually it had something that excited me. A new side painting project, a small skirmish force, new rules, new side game. Now I used to be able to keep up (roughly) and as such the announcements had value to me, now I can’t anymore and the new stuff is less interesting. And that’s what sparked the conversation, someone commented that they didn’t feel the hype anymore with the new releases. And I agree. 

Again the disclaimer, this is my personal experience and the release cycle clearly works for GW. So no argument there. 

• Like 2

I think that that is pretty normal.

When it comes down to it, excitement about the latest "new thing" is really just enjoying imagining what you can do with it. You foresee yourself painting the models, playing the game, reading the book. If you then get the thing, but loose the momentum to do all those things then its going to feel like an anticlimax, because potentially you've spent a lot of time thinking about doing it all and then your suddenly... not.

If that happens repeatedly, and it becomes clear that you simply don't have time or energy to actually do all the things then that's bound to sour you on the prerelease excitement. After all, when you are imagining painting the models there will be that nagging doubt at the back of your mind as to when exactly you're going to get around to doing that...

I don't think that that is necessarily a bad thing however. There is no rule that you have to get excited about every release (despite what GW's marketing people would love you to think.) There is no rule that you have to keep up with it all. Barring the odd limited release, anything new is still going to be around in six months to a year, so its absolutely fine to take a step back, and say "I'm going to do some meeting engagement games for the time being, I'll check out Warcry if and when I feel like it."

That might be annoying to other players in your area who haven't gotten into ME, but are trying to get a warcry group together. If that is the case then there are plenty of compromises possible. even if you want to play the game, no one is forcing you to spend 100 quid on it, when you could just grab some rules cards or whatever.

Games Workshop have gotten very good at building hype for these kind of events, and communities like this one have a tendency to play right into their hands. We reinforce the hype, and in some cases greatly exaggerate it. Its definitely better to recognise that, and make a conscious decision not to pay as much attention, rather than trying to keep up with everything, when you just don't care as much as you used to. Taking a break from that aspect of the hobby, and focusing on other strands might be just what you need to remember why you used to enjoy engaging with it all in that way. Even if it doesn't you might end up saving money on stuff, which is always a plus!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

That’s an interesting thought. Were the answers ever made public? 

No not yet anyway.

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

Games Workshop have gotten very good at building hype for these kind of events, and communities like this one have a tendency to play right into their hands. We reinforce the hype, and in some cases greatly exaggerate it. Its definitely better to recognise that, and make a conscious decision not to pay as much attention, rather than trying to keep up with everything, when you just don't care as much as you used to. Taking a break from that aspect of the hobby, and focusing on other strands might be just what you need to remember why you used to enjoy engaging with it all in that way. Even if it doesn't you might end up saving money on stuff, which is always a plus!

Well said. Uncle Adam has a video about hobby burnout that's worth a watch too.

*Back to rumours*

Have to say though I am happy to see (more than it seems others are) the War Cry expansion. It's literally something that I though the game was screaming out for: Heroes, Monsters and Demons. 

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Kramer said:

But if something between now and when I get around to Warcry which grabs our attention more comes... we’ll sadly end up skipping it. And that knowledge means that I’m losing interest in new releases fast. Because what’s the point? I’m not doing anything with them until later and it’s probably outdated by then anyway. 

Interesting point.  I'm about to encounter my first skip in a long time.  The new airplane game is a pass for me even though it looks really cool.  It's coming too soon after Warcry. I'm still painting new Warcry stuff and playing it a lot. If I buy the new game,  it will sit just like Titanicus. I really was hyped for Titanicus, but it's just sitting in a box because other hobby stuff has eaten up my time - and I have tons of free hobby time (retired).

If the airplane game was 6 months from now,  I'd be in,  but right now it's too soon. 

The ONLY reason I'm considering getting it now is FOMO. What if the cards/ models/warzone/campaign book are limited?  Do I need to get them now to avoid missing them while I wait for possible Necrons? Used to be I'd hedge my bets and buy it all now.  Now? I'll risk it and pass.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SigvaldtheMagnificent said:

Is it possible that the Black Guard/executioner kit is no longer a dual kit, and is now a triple kit, with the 3rd option being the BG heads + executioner weapon to make high elf Sword Masters (since they got rid of the metal ones)?

1567295224353.jpg

Nope, not how sprues work, this is a conversion  of the Spire of Dawn Swordmaster (Great looking one btw)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Nope, not how sprues work, this is a conversion  of the Spire of Dawn Swordmaster (Great looking one btw)

Those are not spire of dawn conversions. 

@SigvaldtheMagnificent

that is an interesting thought to put forward. I wish it was the case, but somehow I don't believe it to be. Those Black Guard/Executioner minis look very sharp in the the old high elf colours. Where is that picture from?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

That being said, it's not far out of the realm of possibility so that some of the kits being kept for CoS will got from duel -> tri kits of single -> dual. I mean using the heads from one half of a dual kit with the weapon options of the other is an easy way to get a third option. There was a rumor, that while combined with far fetched rumors isn't so far fetched itself, that one of the Disspossed kits was getting a third option(longbears/hammerers?).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lavieth said:

Those are not spire of dawn conversions. 

@SigvaldtheMagnificent

that is an interesting thought to put forward. I wish it was the case, but somehow I don't believe it to be. Those Black Guard/Executioner minis look very sharp in the the old high elf colours. Where is that picture from?

Indeed you are correct. Those are executioners, but the leader apears to be a little conversion.

7 hours ago, SigvaldtheMagnificent said:

Is it possible that the Black Guard/executioner kit is no longer a dual kit, and is now a triple kit, with the 3rd option being the BG heads + executioner weapon to make high elf Sword Masters (since they got rid of the metal ones)?

1567295224353.jpg

Oh man, that is awesome looking! Any more pictures? I assume this is one of the pics from Cities of Sigmar, with a book full of conversion ideas. Really makes me think the warscrolls will be a bit more streamlined to allow for lots of odd conversions and details!

Also, that is not just a different headswap/color scheme of Dark Elves....that's a hag queen! I mean, obviously it can make a good Sorceress, but that makes me wonder how many other kits and ideas can be blended...

I just want more! More info! More ideas! More time and money! lol 

I am with the other people here, I never seem to have time for all the things I want to do, and definitely not the budget... 

Edited by flamingwalnut

1 minute ago, flamingwalnut said:

Oh man, that is awesome looking! Any more pictures? I assume this is one of the pics from Cities of Sigmar, with a book full of conversion ideas. Really makes me think the warscrolls will be a bit more streamlined to allow for lots of odd conversions and details!

I just want more! More info! More ideas! More time and money! lol 

I am with the other people here, I never seem to have time for all the things I want to do, and definitely not the budget... 

It would make things more simple if GW gave the warscroll a more "generic" naming such as "Aelven with Greatswords" or even  " Militia with Greatswords" to make things more flexible.

Ps: Battlemages vanished from the website.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Could this be true? GW encouraging conversions?! Almost like...someone at the department noticed that we need more boxes to build customised conversions, which would end in more profit

To be fair, Duncan did a conversion video before where he made his own Freeguild from Kairic Acolytes.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SigvaldtheMagnificent said:

1567295224353.jpg

This picture is very old, from one of the first WD weekly coming after AOS launch in 2015...

On 8/30/2019 at 1:07 PM, zilberfrid said:

Then I was lied to, or people did not remember those bits. Memory does not always work well.

About Underworld, I have only one season one warband, but I mainly like it as a self contained game, where I have enough stuff for friends to play at my home. If it does not have longevity, I will abandon that as well, unless I like the models, of course. Now these being cards, I can understand the need to errata, remove or rework specific cards. That happens with Magic as well. If that remains limited, I have no issue with it. If entire warbands are removed/disallowed, well, that is a different, and more sordid tale.

I am not looking for a game where models are dumped a left and right. And yes, more research, or just starting four months later would have preempted me from playing. I would not have had these 

Once again, go find some people to play WFB V8 or the ninth age, those are great games! ;)
Honestly, If I had a friend or two to play WFB V8 with, I wouldn't even bother with AOS AT ALL!

Edited by Maturin