The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, stato said:

Because theyve been doing 'varying costs of entry' since the mid 90's, so no I dont think they are trying to 'gouge' buyers.

Have people actually looked at the price rises?  or is everyone assuming all units are going up by £15 like the Lord of Change,  stuff that has changed (majority of things have not changed) has gone up a small amount.  Arkanuats have gone up £2.50 to £30. 

Yes, it is not just the big guys like Lord of Change and bloodthirster (which are atrocious increases btw).  For example, the old chaos warrior box (still, not even a battletome for them..) are going up 25% for an extra 10 USD.  You can argue "oh well they are underpriced" yada yada, and yes some of the "increases" listed were pennies, but the 20 to 25% increases (there are many) are 25% increases to a luxury model range that people barely have the budget for to begin with.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, overtninja said:

Fantasy had the additional problem that many people had been in the hobby for years and had huge armies already, and weren't buying new models. It also required so many boxes for each unit that it's price was astronomical just based on quantity needed. At least AoS doesn't require huge model counts like fantasy did.

That said, it does suck to make the buy-in to start playing higher, and it's going to dissuade people from jumping in. It's really great that there are Meeting Engagements now, they're great for people who are just starting.

The "people already had huge armies" argument doesn't really hold up when you consider that was/is the case for 40k as well, it's just they had a much more aggressive release schedule for 40k versus Fantasy which meant more excuses for people to buy new stuff. AoS is getting more than WHFB did, but it's still behind and there's a lot more smaller armies that're getting left behind - even newer AoS-only ones.

The problem is that we're seeing more units that're 5 models for £25 (which are now going up further). For armies that are already very pricey like the Fyreslayers, this is only going to lead to a Fantasy-like situation where the barrier for entry on anything short of horde armies - which, long-term, tend to be even more expensive - is too much for most people. There's not much difference between needing to buy four Core at £20 than having to buy four boxes-of-five for £30 to see where this could go.

When they put out 10 Namarti for £30 rather than the ludicrous £35 for 10 Heathguard I figured they'd realised their error for 'out pricing', but it seems they want to cash in on the white knights chirping about "the new Games Workshop!" and see what they can get away with.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

Next White Dwarf could be interesting (well for slightly different reasons than usual). Looks like it features a couple of AoS battle reports, one of which is Hedonites of Slaanesh versus Sylvaneth, knowing print deadlines I guess it would have been written a fair while ago when they would have assumed the Bark Brigade's Battletome would have long been out.

In fact now I look in the preview pic you can see the new models, so yes it definitely was.

WDJulyPreview-Jul4-SpreadsDouble5yx.jpg

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, HollowHills said:

The price increases are pretty indefensible, but this is capitalism. We have to remember that GW are not our friends. We are consumers to be extracted from in order to pay dividends to share holders. 

Anyway... 

1) they are increasing prices on old stock who have largely paid off their moulds. 

2) they are increasing prices on heroes and centrepiece models presumably understanding most people will need at least one for their army. 

3) UK inflation has been low for the past decade. 

4) The weak pound means GW likely benefits GW in terms of the profit they make in the EU and US. 

5) They just paid a massive bonus to staff. If that's how much they are paying staff then shareholders are getting even more. 

So there is basically no reason for these increases other than greed. 

Agreed. It's always important to remember that big companies are not our friends, even if the age of social media and constant customer interaction would have them convince us otherwise. GW is a business that has the singular goal of making money for itself and its shareholders, and these company men will never be content with booming profits. Nothing short of owning ALL of the money in a giant Scrooge McDuck bank vault will make them happy.  Arguments like "inflation" and "well it's just an expensive hobby" have never held water and are sycophantic diversions---don't get drawn into them. These are simply excuses most companies will cower behind to justify their bulging pockets.

This is not a specific rant at GW. We have far worse companies out there doing far shadier things; and the world of hobbying isn't going to end because they upped the prices on some models yet again. But just remember, GW isn't a small band of friendly, cool dudes like Duncan, Peachy, or Ben Johnson. Those folks are the artists, the ones who develop or tout the products we love because they love the artistry. The real power and intent always lies behind a board room of faceless business men and shareholders always looking to pluck another penny from our coin purses. Never forget this fact and protect yourself from questionable business tactics and the illusions of consumer loyalty (whether to a single company or an entire market).

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Agreed. It's always important to remember that big companies are not our friends, even if the age of social media and constant customer interaction would have them convince us otherwise. GW is a business that has the singular goal of making money for itself and its shareholders, and these company men will never be content with booming profits. Nothing short of owning ALL of the money in a giant Scrooge McDuck bank vault will make them happy.  Arguments like "inflation" and "well it's just an expensive hobby" have never held water and are sycophantic diversions---don't get drawn into them. These are simply excuses most companies will cower behind to justify their bulging pockets.

This is not a specific rant at GW. We have far worse companies out there doing far shadier things; and the world of hobbying isn't going to end because they upped the prices on some models yet again. But just remember, GW isn't a small band of friendly, cool dudes like Duncan, Peachy, or Ben Johnson. Those folks are the artists, the ones who develop or tout the products we love because they love the artistry. The real power and intent always lies behind a board room of faceless business men and shareholders always looking to pluck another penny from our coin purses. Never forget this fact and protect yourself from questionable business tactics and the illusions of consumer loyalty (whether to a single company or an entire market).

And this perfectly explains why choices are made that make zero sense to us as players (but we try to explain them anyway).  The board room is not made of players and are not concerned with the health of the game/players themselves. They are concerned with what on their shelves could sell for the most with the least expenditure, how to disincentivize players from using model investments that they already own, how to make them dissatisfied until they buy the next thing. Recurrent user spending is prioritized regardless of how toxic the outcome is.  

It is surely a constant push-and-pull between the designers and the corporation. It is sad because you can see the heart and soul the artists themselves put into all of this, only to get poisoned in the eyes of many by the greed.

I feel like we have made our point on this, so I will refrain from posting further on this for now...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

Personally I think they will do this, they've done it with Kill Team introducing a new unit for Ad Mech and Genestealers so I don't see why they wouldn't do it for Warcry as well down the line.

I think they said in the seminar that Warcry will be seasonal or expanded and they will add warbands from different other factions in future. I think Tom from Warhammer weekly and maybe even AoSShorts proposed the theory that each season could be one grand alliance starting with Chaos and maybe moving the narrative away from Varanspire with the new seasons/expansions 

Just a theory I guess 

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

Next White Dwarf could be interesting (well for slightly different reasons than usual). Looks like it features a couple of AoS battle reports, one of which is Hedonites of Slaanesh versus Sylvaneth, knowing print deadlines I guess it would have been written a fair while ago when they would have assumed the Bark Brigade's Battletome would have long been out.

In fact now I look in the preview pic you can see the new models, so yes it definitely was.

WDJulyPreview-Jul4-SpreadsDouble5yx.jpg

Hopefully that means trees will be this month fingers crossed

8 hours ago, stato said:

Because theyve been doing 'varying costs of entry' since the mid 90's, so no I dont think they are trying to 'gouge' buyers.

Have people actually looked at the price rises?  or is everyone assuming all units are going up by £15 like the Lord of Change,  stuff that has changed (majority of things have not changed) has gone up a small amount.  Arkanuats have gone up £2.50 to £30.  My 2000pt Kharadron army would be a whole £7.50 more expensive, someone get me a stool as I need a sit down after that devastating revelation 😓.  I appreciate some armies will go up more, i was going to build a (40k) Guard army, that will now cost £20 more if i have 100 guardsmen, 20p extra per model.

Have you seen anything concrete about UK prices? So far I have only seen US and Canada price increases. 

Would like to know as it might push me to buy a few things earlier. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreggurree said:

Have you seen anything concrete about UK prices? So far I have only seen US and Canada price increases. 

Would like to know as it might push me to buy a few things earlier. :)

It’s definitely happening in UK, i think some independents have already updated their websites, and at the risk of being the ‘my uncle works for Nintendo’ guy I know from a friend who’s a GW manager that it’s coming. 

Edit; I just checked Dark Sphere and the price of the Lord of Change reflects the increase.

Edited by Luke82

Could we just end the price discussion with:

“GW is a company in a capitalist system which will increase the prices by 2Xx % since people will still buy their products and they can easily increase their income by exploiting consumer obsession“. Period.

it‘s neither good nor bad it‘s CAPITALISM

snd they don‘t care as long as you buy, which you will.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If i recall correctly GW used to do a line wide price rise pretty much annually up until Rowntree took over. For the last five years prices have increased on new releases but have otherwise not been adjusted. With no new edition of 40k or AoS in 2019 I think it makes sense to do a general price increase now to drive their continued growth. Its a pretty sound strategy as it reduces the wailing and gnashing of teeth to once every few years instead of annually.

I remember when the plastic Bloodthirster was released during the End Times for 70 quid, when my metal one cost me 25 quid back in the day. That was enough to stop me buying anything for about 6 months, until they tempted me back with the free rules for AoS when it was first released. Since then ive set a monthly hobby budget that goes up only when i get a pay rise, regardless of what GW does with its prices. And to be fair i spend more on beer than on Warhammer so i cant really begrudge the business for fulfilling its responsibility to its owners, the shareholders.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Guys could we please stop talking about the prices already.  It's pretty easy to make a new thread on the subject of you really want to.

^^^^^^

We have constant Rumour Engines that look like Aelves, Warcry and Darkoath and also now actual rumours for Tomb Kings and the Rumour thread is discussing GW’s pricing strategy...  

Given there have now been quite a few Aelven rumour engines do you reckon that release is close?  

And looking at michu’s post above... more Hyshian mystery!

Edited by Aelven supremacy