The Rumour Thread

Every AoS faction that has a current 2.0 battletome has subfactions with official colour schemes within them. 

The problem is some are so similar you'd never easily tell them apart - most of the Daughters of Khaine ones are pretty much the same roster or similar roster of colours to the point where you could easily paint a whole army with different units from a different temple and they would blend together really well. Also most of the sub-armies are basically only getting a small selection of abilities. You make a specific sub-faction and it basically ties you to a very specific block of tactics because the bonus is close combat based or ranged based or sneaky based etc.....

So in general I think they should be there for lore and flavour; but shouldn't be a fix thing. It's not like Space Marines with their individual chapters which each have their own Codex, their own unique units and styles and also a full roster of combat options and varied abilities for multiple builds and designs. 

And honestly I don't want GW to go down that pathway, I think it works one off as a Marine feature, but I think trying it for every other army is just a massive risk that we end up with GW front loading one or two armies and then finding that they cannot, in any sane way, support it long term whilst also keeping other armies up to date. Fast ending up with it being decades between new models for other forces and crippling GW with too many products spread too thin. GW are big, but they have limits and honestly I feel that 40K and AoS are very close to those limits which are practical for GW and the market. 

I like the subfaction ideas in general, I just feel that they should 100% remain a rules only thing and not move into models. IF GW did then I'd really hope the way they did it would be with subfaction specific niche models - like a single troops choice or elite models or heroes/unique. So your subfaction of Stormcast is identical to core stormcast, but has a few extra rules and 2 new models. That way all the core releases remain valid for each subfaction; each player is encouraged to buy into several subfactions (because its affordable) and GW only has to support the core army to support all the subfactions at once. New Liberator Sculpt updates for all the Stormcast at once. 

Tie it to painting as an option but not mandatory, esp since otherwise people will just paint their stormcast bright pink and say "its a unique scheme and thus it can be any chamber" whilst the poor guy who painted them in an official scheme would be stuck with only one choice (very unfair esp as many who go that path are likely to be new/beginners who followed the guides in the book) 

• Like 4

I feel like due to the small roster, subdividing gutbusters and/or BCR would really cause a big problem in model count and formation variety due to splitting a small roster into an even smaller roster

I like the idea for fluff reasons but I don't think it should force you to use the rules if you really can't afford that blow to your unit selection

4 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Stormcast already have colour-coded chapters! They just don't have separate books/minis yet 

^This

I'm really not looking forward to a 40k like situation where 20% of all codexes are just a variation of marines in a different colour and 2-3 unique units. 

AoS actually has a more healthy mix of armies and I hope they don't ****** that up like they did for 40k.  Big burly dudes in heavy armor can exist for every grand alliance essentially, but not if they leave factions like Ironjawz lingering (compared to stormcast at least). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, peasant said:

No maggotkin of nurgle but nurgle rotbringers...

Used the wrong name. Not a huge deal. I hope demons get a bit of a buff tho, in all four armies.

I hope beasts get a point drop. I want to use them but they are so bad. thanks

Edited by Riavan

57 minutes ago, Elmir said:

^This

I'm really not looking forward to a 40k like situation where 20% of all codexes are just a variation of marines in a different colour and 2-3 unique units. 

AoS actually has a more healthy mix of armies and I hope they don't ****** that up like they did for 40k.  Big burly dudes in heavy armor can exist for every grand alliance essentially, but not if they leave factions like Ironjawz lingering (compared to stormcast at least). 

You are absolutly right, but I cant help myself but think, corrupted Stormcast by Nagash, Chaos, or a 'Wild Tribe' Stormcast for Destruction could be pretty sweet.

Im with you that they shouldnt do it like in 40k. The #1 reason for me to never start 40k where that I could Play Space Marines, Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines. (I'm Aware that there are other races, but for me it seemed that way)

But some way down the line I could find it pretty nice to have Stormcasts for every Allegiance.

Of course after they updated the current range and so on.

God knows I say all the time we have enoughStormcast for now :D

• better proofreading,
  • books/scroll cards which arent redundant 2 weeks after release,
  • forgeworld and gw cohesion ( they're the same company after all ) 
  • dice you can read properly 
  • better rules for terrain
  • better examples from warhammer world on what is good ( terrain )
  • forgeworld range in warhammer stores
  • a bits service, or individual model purchase 
  • more collectors edition stuff
  • better paint pots,
  • update older models faster
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

It's that time of the week ladies and gentlemen(plus skaven), PLACE YOUR BETS!RumourEngine-Apr16-Content2ujcds.jpg.468198657b62d696ab02239b520386bb.jpg

well I am stump it could be literally anything

Edit: they say decode on the article and KO has their Code of living so I will guess that

Edited by novakai

17 hours ago, Sleboda said:

** Sorry! Quoted wrong person, Mayple, but cannot seem to fix attribution.

I noted that as well, but it worried me.

If those were changed, I believe it would need more than a GHB points adjustment.  I think it would give them a reason to redo all the Battletomes and Warscroll cards I own. :(

I wouldn't be too worried ;) Unless you're thinking about battalions, which would probably be affected, at least point-wise. Worst-case scenario they would end up making the battalion ones "better" as far as ability goes, as the one-drop selling point would be disappearing. 

I've been slowly trying out 40k lately, and one of the things I find greatly enjoyable about it has been the complete absence of double turns. It's hard to describe how much more relaxed those matches are, both mentally and generally mood-wise. Not to say it's not strategically intense, but more that whatever mistakes happens from that would be my own fault, rather than the sudden, and complete random "oh, looks like I'm watching you play for 15 minutes more." **

**Mind that there are still things people can do in Age of Sigmar to prevent getting double-turned hard (make less risky plays right before a potential doubleturn, position into a place they want to be for more turns, etc) -- but it feels -so good- to not have to stress about it. I think Age of Sigmar would benefit greatly from removing its doubleturn potential. 

Bit of a ramble, but it seemed, ah.. relevant :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

So people can not play them again? They had an 8th edition book that wasn't even half bad and hardly anyone played them. I would much rather they focus on the other armies that they haven't brought in line in AOS personally. 

That book was, not even bring hyperbolic, the worst book in the history of Warhammer. Neat background, abysmal rules from a writer who was totally out of his depth. 

Compared to the previous book for them, which was probably the best, most balanced and fun book in the game, it was a tragedy of gaming.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Mind that there are still things people can do in Age of Sigmar to prevent getting double-turned hard

FWIW, in my last game the presence of a predatory endless spell changed who went first, so there are real choices to make.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sleboda said:

FWIW, in my last game the presence of a predatory endless spell changed who went first, so there are real choices to make.

For sure. I'm sure that mechanic could be adjusted accordingly though. It's not like it couldn't exist without the inclusion of a doubleturn.

Also note (for clarity) that my issue with the doubleturn is not lack of choice, but the overwhelming excess of it. Sometimes I just want to walk some dudes up a hill without worrying about whether they're gonna take a coffee break half-way through the march ;) It's difficult to explain how stressfull that mechanic is to me (and by all means, I'm not complaining in the sense that I'm unable to deal with it. I can, and do deal with it) -- And I really noticed how much it impacted my enjoyment of the game when my small dabble into 40k turned into "Ey, how about we play 40k instead today" purely due to the doubleturn stress factor. 

I don't know if I'm an outlier in that though, so food for thought. 

On 4/15/2019 at 2:38 AM, Furuzzolo said:

I don't want to start a flame, just to make you re-think the popularity topic. 

2 weeks ago people were chanting that the fyreslayer topic had 7 pages and none was interested in the faction cause of the looks of the models. Well, I kinda surf all the duardin-suburban-cluster around the internet and now I see a LOT of people start collecting the army and hyped around the frigging 2+ save and hearthguard berserkers....

Still, same models. 

Edit: the point is that, MAYBE, rules that make an army fun to play weight more than people think regarding popularity.

Well.. now we make stuff up.

The 7 pages were exploding to whopping 17 pages and those pages were written by exactly the same people who wrote the first 7 pages.

Beside that i know absolutely nobody who collects or plays Fireslayers. This didn't change after the release at all.

Can you somehow point me to this rapidly growing  Fireslayer playerbase?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Double turn is quite irritating, that said in 40k I found that going first is a colossal advantage most of the time. It effectively puts you one turn of shooting ahead, which for some armies can basically guarantee a win. It's very easy to kill one or two of your opponents units before they even get a turn. 

I am marginally in favour of getting rid of the double turn but it's such a characteristic part of AoS now. I've learnt to live with it basically. 

How would people feel about alternating phases instead of turns? Like the winner of the battle round roll takes their hero phase first, then the opponent takes their hero phase...continue through movement, shooting, etc. My biggest issue with the double turn is having one person just sitting and waiting for half an hour or more.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Mutton said:

How would people feel about alternating phases instead of turns? Like the winner of the battle round roll takes their hero phase first, then the opponent takes their hero phase...continue through movement, shooting, etc. My biggest issue with the double turn is having one person just sitting and waiting for half an hour or more.

Does weird things with charging, combat phase and battleshock phase.