The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Seems like a real shame that possibly the definitive skaven warmachine, and a unit that's been around debuted with the very first skaven miniatures has gone the way of the dwarf miner because it was redone in plastic for long enough for the metal model to be discontinued, then discontinued entirely when it had the misfortune of sharing a sprue with some High Elves. :( 

In-setting you could probably say that with warpfire projectors being the sole piece of kit worth taking Stormfiends for, the Arch-Warlocks of Skrye ordered a mass recall of weapons team manned (ratted?) warpfire throwers to keep up with the demand. ;) 

Aelves got it worse. We losing High Warden, Swordmasters,  SeaGuard and Reavers :(

• Like 1

There is a warp fire thrower in art that they show off from the new battle tome. I wouldn’t worry about it. If scryre acolytes are still in I doubt the book will lose anything but rat swarms. Rat swarms are conspicuously absent from the Moulder army shot they show off.

Now I would not be super surprised if they streamline the ranged weapon teams to all have the same stats and profile and just be called something like “Scryre Weapon Team” so that people can use whatever model they want wether warpfire thrower, rattling gun, or mortar

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Aryann said:

Just one more thing. Past Stormcast releases made me expect more from a faction update or second wave. If each year Stormcasts receive several new models, abilities, spells, battletome then I would be really disappointed if the only thing Fyreslayers or Ironjawz receive is a "3 spells and scenery" treatment. Those and some other factions have so little units that isn't even funny compared to Stormcasts or few others. 

This!

The Carrion Empire box makes me speculate we could see a box of Ironjawz vs Fyreslayers, but it would be very disappointing if both factions did not receive any new units outside the expected battletome, scenery and endless spells/runes?. Currently, both factions are limited in options in terms of troop choice and playstyle. The latter will benefit from the new tomes, but it might be hampered if Fyreslayers and Ironjawz do not receive new models to shake up army lists.

For the rest of LVO, I believe we'll find out when Slaanesh and Everchosen/StD/Darkoath are coming out. Wouldn't be shocked if Seraphon are also teased, would be shocked though if they receive new models. Personally I would love it if they throw us a Dispossessed battletome out of nowhere. My wallet would hate me for all the bearded stunties I would buy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, herohammer said:

There is a warp fire thrower in art that they show off from the new battle tome. I wouldn’t worry about it. If scryre acolytes are still in I doubt the book will lose anything but rat swarms. Rat swarms are conspicuously absent from the Moulder army shot they show off.

Now I would not be super surprised if they streamline the ranged weapon teams to all have the same stats and profile and just be called something like “Scryre Weapon Team” so that people can use whatever model they want wether warpfire thrower, rattling gun, or mortar

There are rat swarms in this photo, to the right of the very rat swarm-esque Endless Spell, so looks like they're still in

AoSSkaven-Feb5-SkavenBattleshot11ao.jpg

Edited by robinlvalentine
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

There are rat swarms in this photo, to the right of the very rat swarm-esque Endless Spell, so looks like they're still in

AoSSkaven-Feb5-SkavenBattleshot11ao.jpg

Those are giant rats, they're a different unit.

Oh they are in there, I didn't even see them down there in the corner.

Edited by Dirtnaps
I was wrong

Imo people are expecting too much from the LVO reveal. 

My bet would be we see the remaining shadespire warbands and a teaser of the next aos release but nothing definitive. Like some form of teaser video without showing any models. 

Gloomspite gitz was a pretty big release after all, and we'd just have skaven and fec dropping. I'd expect much more in the 40k side of things as they're due for a new release. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just for reference, this was last year's LVO reveal. Now of course we might get or less this time, and I imagine with a heavier 40k focus this time around, I'm crossing my fingers for some Black Legion reveals. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/26/new-codexes-factions-our-heroes-and-more-breaking-news-from-the-las-vegas-opengw-homepage-post-1/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

Imo people are expecting too much from the LVO reveal. 

My bet would be we see the remaining shadespire warbands and a teaser of the next aos release but nothing definitive. Like some form of teaser video without showing any models. 

Gloomspite gitz was a pretty big release after all, and we'd just have skaven and fec dropping. I'd expect much more in the 40k side of things as they're due for a new release. 

The more you expect the more disappointed you can be. From previous experiences, we might get shown things completely unexpected in volume completely different than we imagined. Best practice, expect nothing, appreciate what will be shown. GW is really good at creating the hype which in no way correspond to the reveals (like when we were shown warqueen and some logos last year). Luckily this time it is LVO so reveal can be bigger than usual.

We will know in around 48 hours ;)

8 hours ago, Overread said:

Something honestly went wrong with Island of blood and you can tell Fantasy was really suffering with sales and support when GW releases a slew of new sculpts for 2 major factions and fails to ever release them after the combined boxed set. My betting is that Island of Blood sold really badly - or at least not enough to recoup the investment and make it viable to produces more moulds for the separate sprues. IT might also have been a huge mistake that they wound up on the same sprues as that totally broke the chance for GW to release separate boxed sets for each army. 

I think in the transition into AoS and all the madness that followed its just something that hasn't yet got back on the table. Thankfully Skaven are still in a strong position - High Elves though are in a really precarious position right now - actually the only Aelves we've got are Daughters of Khaine. That kind of hits home at how ina mess Aelves are right now. I figure we might well see them re-unite them or at least some; but its near impossible to tell what they will do and the current store page lists them all under one umbrella (that's bold if they try to do a single Aelf Battletome considering that high and dark aelves are vastly different in designs. 

Idoneth are also elves, so there's two elf factions right now.

I don't think we will ever see Island of Blood sculpts again to be honest. Dark Vengeance for 40k had an excellent chaos lord, cultists and marines as well as a load of Dark Angels sculpts that have never been released. If you want chaos cultists in 40k you currently have to buy them in a box of 5 with all the same monopose, even though DV came with loads of options. 

Basically anything with shared sprues is dead. 

6 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Idoneth are also elves, so there's two elf factions right now.

I would also class Sylvaneth as elves, which makes three (or tree?).

The repacked Island of Blood box that they sold very cheaply some time ago, would indicate that they indeed had quite much of unsold stock around. On the other hand I have understood that high elves were one of the most popular armies of old Fantasy.

One thing to keep in mind is that I believe all of the 40k codexes have now been updated and they pushed them out few books per month last year or two, so getting a lot of Battletomes this year with no new models besides the Made in China stuff should be pretty much given.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

I don't think we will ever see Island of Blood sculpts again to be honest. Dark Vengeance for 40k had an excellent chaos lord, cultists and marines as well as a load of Dark Angels sculpts that have never been released. If you want chaos cultists in 40k you currently have to buy them in a box of 5 with all the same monopose, even though DV came with loads of options. 

Basically anything with shared sprues is dead. 

Aren't the Silver Tower minis on shared sprues? They released the Ogroid and the foot Gaunt Summoner alongside Tzeentch (oh, and the Knight-Questor for SCE). I mean sure, that might be a blip, but I'd be surprised if they didn't repackage the Deathrunner at some point (curious that it hasn't been mentioned). After all, for better or worse this release has embraced a degree of asset recycling, so why not give clan Eshin their only new hero in AoS? 

GW took some positive steps in releasing some of the original starter set separately (Vandus and Korgos Khul). I think the Bloodsecrator and Khorgos box is sold out, but the models are still available in one half of the original starter, as they split the factions into Thunderstrike Brotherhood and Goreblade Warband boxes. While I feel for SCE player being unable to get a Relictor separately (well, other than Ebay), having them disappear entirely is way worse.

The whole limited edition model question is more pertinent when it's a distinct model (like the Ogroid or Khorgorath). When it's just an alternative sculpt of an existing unit, like the Silver Tower blue horrors,  it's not such a problem. The caveat to this is when there's a quality disparity between the up-to-date looking limited edition sculpt and the 'official' model: a hideous hunk of resin/metal. The webstore  Rat Ogors beside the Spire ones are like... well, Mantic beside Citadel. 

But there's no definitive precedent. After all, the Darkoath Chieftain, Warpriest and Fyreslayer from Silver Tower are not on sale. Are they to be released alongside their parent faction getting an update? Who knows? 

I mean, the fact that they've implied no new models *technically* doesn't preclude them from putting the ST Deathrunner up for pre-order on the 16th. Fingers crossed for Eshin fans. 

Edited by Klamm

3 minutes ago, Klamm said:

Aren't the Silver Tower minis on shared sprues? They released the Ogroid and the foot Gaunt Summoner alongside Tzeentch (oh, and the Knight-Questor for SCE). I mean sure, that might be a blip, but I'd be surprised if they didn't repackage the Deathrunner at some point (curious that it hasn't been mentioned). After all, for better or worse this release has embraced a degree of asset recycling, so why not give clan Eshin their only new hero in AoS? 

GW took some positive steps in releasing some of the original starter set separately (Vandus and Korgos Khul). I think the Bloodsecrator and Khorgos box is sold out, but the models are still available in one half of the original starter, as they split the factions into Thunderstrike Brotherhood and Goreblade Warband boxes. While I feel for SCE player being unable to get a Relictor separately (well, other than Ebay), having them disappear entirely is way worse.

The whole limited edition model question is more pertinent when it's a distinct model (like the Ogroid or Khorgorath). When it's just an alternative sculpt of an existing unit, like the Silver Tower blue horrors,  it's not such a problem. The caveat to this is when there's a quality disparity between the up-to-date looking limited edition sculpt and the 'official' model: a hideous hunk of resin/metal. The webstore  Rat Ogors beside the Spire ones are like... well, Mantic beside Citadel. 

But there's no definitive precedent. After all, the Darkoath Chieftain, Warpriest and Fyreslayer from Silver Tower are not on sale. Are they to be released alongside their parent faction getting an update? Who knows? 

I mean, the fact that they've implied no new models *technically* doesn't preclude them from putting the ST Deathrunner up for pre-order on the 16th. Fingers crossed for Eshin fans. 

No, the Gaunt Summoner (without the Familiars) and the Ogroid were on separate, individual sprues, as for the Heroes. 

The Skaven, Grots and Tzeentch minions where all on shared sprues

11 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

That does not seem likely to ever happen.  Maybe if they decided to break Skaven off into it's own full Grand Alliance - but they appear to be solidly within the Chaos camp for AoS.  A full battletome for every skaven clan would make them comprise roughly half of the entire Chaos Grand Alliance and that feels very out of place given that they have expressed many times that the Horned Rat is the currently the lesser of all the Chaos gods.  They simply did not set up Skaven within AoS to take on such a large role that each clan should warrant their own distinct model range and dedicated battletome. 

Brand new AoS factions seem more to focus around a theme/subject rather than race. Flying troops and airships, sea creatures and chaos gods treated seperetely for their theme - gore, magic, illness, seduction. 

Skaven are much more than just "rat people". Skyre faction fits the role of advanced tech. Moulder is a great material for mutants race like GSC in 40k. Eshin as pure assassin force. Pestilence is obvious. Especially the first two seem like an easy material for battletome and expansions. Leaving them and whole Skaven just with a battletome seems like a waste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

You could make the same argument for every race and the various subfactions within battletomes - such as Deepkin Enclaves, Sylvaneth houses, Daughter's of Khaine temples, Fyreslayer lodges, etc.  Honestly, the described system for the Skaven battletome sounds more flexible and diverse than what those other battletomes use to add that layer of diversity.  Even the major chaos gods have their followers spread across all of the realms and a large variety of mortal followers that one could argue diversify based upon the realms they are in.

I really like Skaven, but they don't seem to be a unique snowflake compared to any other race in regards to why they should have distinct clan books rather than a single unified tome that still provides them diverse build options.

It;s weird how somebody can agree with you in such an opposing manner, haha 😂Read what I was replying to, and see that I agree that it's a good thing to keep it in one tome. Just not the argument that the power ranking of the chaos gods in the lore should have any influence on the discussions  

As to your comment about 'they don't seem to be an unique snowflake'  (with all the connotations of that phrase). Seem is the keyword there. GW controls the story, the background of each clan is unique enough and GW could easily expand on it if needed. In units with Pestilence and Skryre you have a bigger roster than Ironjaws for an extreme example. but compare it to AoS releases like DoK, ID, KO. DoK 15 scrolls, 6 boxes. ID, 16 scrolls 11 boxes. KO 12 sets. Pestilence currently has 7 sets and Skryre 12. With two unique playstyles in the grand Alliance. Add two multi purpose and your are easily equal to that.
If the differences in the your examples mean there is enough there for unique rosters and playstyles. Absolutely the game would be better with them as different factions, as they would function as different armies just share a root in the lore.

all in all, still like the umbrella tome but with a little effort it could have been separate tomes. Just like spider riders could have been a separate faction/tome with a little effort. (just an example closer to your heart I guess ;) )

• Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Aryann I think that's more because most old world races started out 30 years ago or so. So when they started they were one trick faction focused armies. Over time as GW added more models the number of tools and themes each army had increased over and over again. Skaven are a prime example of an army that has steadily grown and grown in variety and diversity through its range.

Idoneth are brand shiny new, they have a very tight theme and focus because of how new they are and its much easier to create a solid identity with a strict theme. Give it 10 years and perhaps we'll see those themes broaden or deepen. they could add ship and land forces to Idoneth representing them pushing further in land with invasions and wars; or they could add huge sea serpents and beasties of the sea and build on the core theme. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Brand new AoS factions seem more to focus around a theme/subject rather than race. Flying troops and airships, sea creatures and chaos gods treated seperetely for their theme - gore, magic, illness, seduction. 

Actually outside Chaos, the first releases were very much realm themed, Heavens (Stormcast), Fire (Slayers), Metal (Kharadron), Life (Sylvaneth), etc.

I have to say that I really don't believe we will ever get new releases for stuff like Idoneth outside "add-on games". I might be wrong of course.

The old fantasy armies were actually pretty similar between each other in the beginning. After all they were mix of popular historical themes and fantasy.  For example High/Dark elves being mixture of Rome, Byzantium, Middle eastern horse tribes and classic Elven fiction from D&D and Tolkien. Most armies still had pretty samey selection of troops that you typically have in a historical game.

Edited by Jamopower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Klamm said:

Darkoath Chieftain is available: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/darkoath-chieftain

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Actually outside Chaos, the first releases were very much realm themed, Heavens (Stormcast), Fire (Slayers), Metal (Kharadron), Life (Sylvaneth), etc.

I have to say that I really don't believe we will ever get new releases for stuff like Idoneth outside "add-on games". I might be wrong of course.

The old fantasy armies were actually pretty similar between each other in the beginning. After all they were mix of popular historical themes and fantasy.  For example High/Dark elves being mixture of Rome, Byzantium, Middle eastern horse tribes and classic Elven fiction from D&D and Tolkien. Most armies still had pretty samey selection of troops that you typically have in a historical game.

Okay then that's a bold claim cotton. Let's see how it plays out. 

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

Brand new AoS factions seem more to focus around a theme/subject rather than race.

yeah I look at it as AoS is roughly about [adjective][noun] factions. so flying dwarves, fungoid goblins, gym bunny orcs, swimming elves, etc etc. I mean it's a very loose idea and breaks down with a bit of scrutiny but I think squint and it just about makes some sense and gets them away from staid fantasy tropes.

it's why I thought Dispossessed were in a tricky place as they're very much just the Dwarfiest Dwarves that ever did Dwarf.  If they do reinvent them, I think, it would be cool to really lean in on the elemental 'earth' quality (as opposed to their fire and air cousins (and the hitherto unseen nautilus captaining Deep Sea Duardin).

in fact I thought you could really go to town on the idea that Dwarves slowly turn to stone/earth if they use magic, but rather than being a terrible fate like befalls the Chaos Dwarves, it's actually a natural evolution, just it was never fully understood so instead magic became a taboo amongst them.

So rather than becoming petrified statues, the very few Dwarf magic users who work in harmony with, and can master, magic actually achieve the true Duardin's final form, that of living rock. could be a way of introducing one or two thematically friendly wizards into the army and open up possibilities for rune laden living statues as big centre piece models.

I have an idea about how to pull it all together but as ever ThIS iS The RUmoUR THreaD so I'll shut my dirty mouth.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1