The Rumour Thread

37 minutes ago, Raviv said:

Christmas bundles are published: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/28/christmas-preview-bundles-battleforces-and-boxed-games/

(Apparently not all of them are revealed yet - it says there will be 10 battleforce boxes, but only two are shown)

I'm sure we're all just shocked that one of the boxes is Idoneth. So 10 battle forces total, even split between AoS and 40k? Has there been any whispers about what else is a given. Two given are probably a Primaris Space Marine Box and some kind of Stormcast box(too soon for Sacrosanct?). So that's 4 covered. I say a 95% chance of a Maggotkin of Nurgle box. If there's not a Moonclan new model release by the end of the year I could definitely see some form of Grot battle force. With so much of the Moonclan line being resin or metal, I could see them combined with either Greenskinz and the box would be labeled Greenskinz, like this current no-value bundle or I could see Moonclan mixed with Spider Riders or (smaller change) git mob for mixed Grot battleforce. While Sacrosanct may get a box this soon just because they're Stormcast, I don't think Nighthaunt will get this one year, though probably a lock for next. Daughters of Khaine might have a good chance too.

5 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Not even a conversion, that’s the Grot war boss on giant squig built with the spear option. That’s a model I really want to see replaced.

Me too! My greatest hope is for new squig models. Particularly the squig riders, if they are still going to be a thing. 

@Nos yeah and big companies are always right. Because that's what The Company says. They were extremely right especially in the first year of AoS when most WHFB players left after their great decisions. 

Stormcasts constant releases are no near close to that but telling for sure that this must be great for AoS becsuse The Company says so is naive at best. 

@Aryann Fantasy players leaving really wouldn't have affected them that badly, if anything, looking back on it, it was just a speed bump for GW since most of them would have probably bought their full army already and wouldn't need anything else, and besides, AOS is making well over what fantasy was, a large part of those sales being Stormcast. Like it or not, they are the poster boys. Deal with it. As mentioned before the company is most likely to know what is better for itself than some random dudes on the internet.

Edited by TheDayman
  • Like 3

How much are the Battleforces normally? 170 USD if I remember right. As someone who might be starting Deepkin next year that could be pretty cool. Kind of a shame no King model and two Allopexs vs 1 and 2 sets of Eels, but I'm not really a competitive player and I like all the models.

That desolated township pack screams skirmish, and the fact of alone minis without making units makes me want it. I know they usually put one or two minis alone but this ones really feel like going on their own way like skirmish.

Btw, five battleforces this year for AoS sounds cool. Maybe there will be 6 for 40k and 4 for sigmar but my guess is: Sachrosant, Nighthaunt, Idoneth, DoK and Beasts of Chaos.

23 minutes ago, novakai said:

I will say I don't think Stormcast Vanguards sold really well since their battleforce box seems to be in ample stock even  to this day.

Valid point.

What are we thinking then?  Id be happy but surprised to see Sacrosanct and Nighthaunt in the year they came out and are still in the starter box.

Idoneth

Nurgle (highly likely, already had Khorne and Tzeentch previously)

Stormcast (possibly Paladins and Dracoths, as per the Sigmars Vengance box?)

Death (Legions of Nagash again?)

Bonesplitters (as weve had Ironjawz and Beastclaw previously)

Edited by stato

10 minutes ago, stato said:

Valid point.

What are we thinking then?  Id be happy but surprised to see Sacrosanct and Nighthaunt in the year they came out and are still in the starter box.

Idoneth

Nurgle (highly likely, already had Khorne and Tzeentch previously)

Stormcast (possibly Paladins and Dracoths, as per the Sigmars Vengance box?)

Death (Legions of Nagash again?)

Bonesplitters (as weve had Ironjawz and Beastclaw previously)

ironically seen it would be much more humorous when they’d bring out next to the deepkins, a skaven, dispossesseds, Darkling coven and Gutbusters battleforce.

47 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

ironically seen it would be much more humorous when they’d bring out next to the deepkins, a skaven, dispossesseds, Darkling coven and Gutbusters battleforce.

I actually wouldn't be totally shocked if they came out with either a mixed skaven or Dispossessed plus Dwarfy Ironweld box, but since Order is already covered(likely twice with an Stormcast box and Chaos will probably go to Nurgle, I think the best chance of a weird mixed box of non-battletome stuff is Destruction, but not Gutbusters, and even then I think the only disqualifier for gutbusters is the lack of plastic heroes.

2 hours ago, Aryann said:

@Nos yeah and big companies are always right. Because that's what The Company says. They were extremely right especially in the first year of AoS when most WHFB players left after their great decisions. 

Stormcasts constant releases are no near close to that but telling for sure that this must be great for AoS becsuse The Company says so is naive at best. 

I'm sure the company don't  have sales figures for Stormcast so can't tell whether this product line they're putting  massive investment into is selling.

I'm sure you and people like you who have literally nothing concrete to demonstrate your point besides anecdote and second hand theories about what you think will work and what isn't working  know better than the people who have stacks of hard proof as to what's selling, what isn't, where, why, to what demographic etc. Like the people whose actual job it is to know. You should let them know you can work all this out in your spare time, they'll save masses in unnecessary salaries for staff who can't do a better job than people on forums for free! 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, novakai said:

I will say I don't think Stormcast Vanguards sold really well since their battleforce box seems to be in ample stock even  to this day.

I'm actually astonished at that, but you are right.  The Tzeentch on and the Death one still up there too.

I think the 2016 ones sold out pretty much instantly?  I'm really surprised to see that 3 of the 4 did not sell out last year.  Maybe they produced more of them, but still.

That Tzeentch one could be a good pickup for BOC players, if you offload the Acolytes.  I still think the Death one looks interesting too.

5 hours ago, pseudonyme said:

Calling a Battle force with Moonclan, Spiderfang and Troggoth combined 

5 hours ago, bsharitt said:

I'm sure we're all just shocked that one of the boxes is Idoneth. So 10 battle forces total, even split between AoS and 40k? Has there been any whispers about what else is a given. Two given are probably a Primaris Space Marine Box and some kind of Stormcast box(too soon for Sacrosanct?). So that's 4 covered. I say a 95% chance of a Maggotkin of Nurgle box. If there's not a Moonclan new model release by the end of the year I could definitely see some form of Grot battle force. With so much of the Moonclan line being resin or metal, I could see them combined with either Greenskinz and the box would be labeled Greenskinz, like this current no-value bundle or I could see Moonclan mixed with Spider Riders or (smaller change) git mob for mixed Grot battleforce. While Sacrosanct may get a box this soon just because they're Stormcast, I don't think Nighthaunt will get this one year, though probably a lock for next. Daughters of Khaine might have a good chance too.

Personally I don't see them making a grot battleforce box  since they haven't released anything for them yet (Underworld excluded). Assuming there is a tome coming for the the grots it will come sometime next year, at which point the battleforce boxes will no longer be relevant (they are meant to drive Christmas sales after all). Stack that on top of the fact that some of the more flashy models are still resin and I can't help but think why they would bother making a box for them.

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

I'm really surprised to see that 3 of the 4 did not sell out last year.  Maybe they produced more of them, but still.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this aside from the likely increased production. The biggest reason is likely that the value was much lower. IIRC, the previous year's offerings had MUCH more value. Going by MSRP, the 2016 Stormcast box had $343, Ironjawz had $304.75, Sylvaneth had $311, and Khorne (which also took a while to sell out IIRC) had $287. So that's a discount of about 50%, 44%, 45%, and 41% respectively.

Last year, they reduced the value of the boxes significantly. Tzeentch had the lowest value at 235, while Kharadron had $240 and the other two had about $245. That's a discount of 28%-31%. Tzeentch and Kharadron had the advantage of featuring kits that were entirely new, but the Death and Stormcast boxes featured few things that weren't already available at a discount (SC and ally boxes for all of the Death stuff except the Morghasts, and the Blightwar box for most of the Stormcast stuff). Death at least benefited from the popularity and general competitiveness of the LoN release while Stormcast Vanguard suffered from a poor box composition (12 Gryph Hounds?? what?), few competitive units, and the fact that the Vanguard Chamber was eclipsed by the Sacrosanct Chamber, all but ensuring that boxes still on the shelves at the release of 2.0 stayed there.

Contrast that with the Sylvaneth box of 2016, which was IIRC the quickest to sell out that year. The value was quite good and it was the perfect complement to the SC box with only one kit (and a kit that you are likely to want multiple copies of, at that) overlapping. Basically any Sylvaneth player that didn't already have a complete force would look as a must-buy. It had great value, and you would likely slide nearly every model in the box directly into your army regardless of whether you were playing casually or competitively.

All of the 2017 battleforce options compare unfavorably to that, and not just in terms of value. An established Death player is likely to see a bunch of redundant kits, most of which are only seeing niche competitive play, but it remains an OK option for someone just buying into Death who hasn't already picked up a SC or two. A Stormcast player is likely to see the box composition and just pass unless you reaaaaaally love Gryph Hounds. A Tzeentch player might look at the box and see a solid value, but many Tzeentch players will only use a few of the kits, particularly for daemon focused players. Casual Kharadron players are going to want most if not all of the units in that box, but competitive players are going to see most of the value tied up in kits that are pretty bad (and were even worse when the box came out). 

I think that the Idoneth box shows that GW is aware of the problems that the 2017 Battleforces had. At 28-31% off, the boxes basically have to be very well composed to sell well to existing players, and they likely need an mix of new and existing players for the boxes to sell aggressively. The Idoneth box features $265 in value, or about 36% off. It's not as good as 2016, but it's better than 2017 and much more competitive with the Start Collecting range. The composition is not very competitive, but at that level of discount I think there is a chance that all but the most tournament-focused players will find it appealing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

So apparently it was revealed on twitter that moonclan previews start next weekend.Now im no rumor monger and dont even use twitter,,this is from one of our local area TO`s that is active on twitter and follows many of the prominent members in the AoS community.