The Rumour Thread

Just wanted to echo some others and say that of all the 'man-reads-book' channels, I find GMG to be the least obnoxious and the most helpful - even if it's just having the book on screen so I can form my own opinions from a clearer picture than words alone could convey. Ash does a good job. Goonhammer is really good too for more competitive-minded analysis (especially their 40k stuff) though I usually only read their takes if it's an army I don't play. 

It's cool to see we're getting Soulblight now rather than later, I just hope all the Kragnos stuff drops soon too - I'm hoping for the end of May but predicting mid-June at the latest. I need to get my hands on those Twins! 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 7

Between the rumors and the newsletter banner I would say it seems pretty clear it's greenskins...

But the thing the bugs me out is: Don't we already have a race of greenskins that lives in dank, dark places full of mushrooms? If it's not a full race it could be a "Fellwater" Clan in opposition to the "Rockgut" Moonclans that we have, but wouldn't be weird to start an edition with a subfaction?

I don't know, I just hoped in a new faction of Grots devoted to the sun, and a Swamp is like the polar opposite of sun. We will see.

19 minutes ago, Jaskier said:

Just wanted to echo some others and say that of all the 'man-reads-book' channels, I find GMG to be the least obnoxious and the most helpful - even if it's just having the book on screen so I can form my own opinions from a clearer picture than words alone could convey. Ash does a good job. Goonhammer is really good too for more competitive-minded analysis (especially their 40k stuff) though I usually only read their takes if it's an army I don't play. 

It's cool to see we're getting Soulblight now rather than later, I just hope all the Kragnos stuff drops soon too - I'm hoping for the end of May but predicting mid-June at the latest. I need to get my hands on those Twins! 

100% agree. I really like GMG because he literally goes over all of the details and rules. I can pause it where needed but I can see nearly everything (less lore related things) in a Battletome before it goes up for preorder. I also get why he is not everyone's cup of tea, so to each their own, but I'm glad he does what he does for reviews. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

So what about this rumour engine as a Fimir tail? They seem to have mace like tails from the concepts, however no doubt they will get AOS treatment and differ slightly from fantasy versions. 

90221732-1C0F-455B-AB99-0DA07B196E1D.jpeg

Personally I think it looks too tyranid-like. It's almost a 1-to-1 update on the tail of the Red Terror/Raveners. Tyranids haven't had a model since 7th edition, so they are hungry for new stuff. I would bet money on it if I wasn't saving for Beast Snaggas and potential Bog-goblins.

But I will laugh a bit (before feeling bad about it) if it is revealed to not be tyranids. Those fellas have it rough and it being an unrelated bog beastie would crush them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grotbag Scuttlers When said:

Between the rumors and the newsletter banner I would say it seems pretty clear it's greenskins...

But the thing the bugs me out is: Don't we already have a race of greenskins that lives in dank, dark places full of mushrooms? If it's not a full race it could be a "Fellwater" Clan in opposition to the "Rockgut" Moonclans that we have, but wouldn't be weird to start an edition with a subfaction?

I don't know, I just hoped in a new faction of Grots devoted to the sun, and a Swamp is like the polar opposite of sun. We will see.

yeah i though it was a bit weird that they set the place in a Swamp since it one of the Biome that is related to Gloomspite Gitz

at least from how i gather from the lore

GloomSpite: Caves, underground caverns, Swamps, place for Nocturnal beings

Gitmob: Plains, grass lands, and Arid regions

Grotbag: the Sky and Mountains

Theory:  maybe Belakors big storm is blotting out the sun in GHur and the Sun Grot don't like this

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

Really poor move with redesigning SCE in my opinion. Those sculpts clearly replace Liberators and Paladins. This lady angel also seems to replace celestant prime. Well, maybe they will keep both products but the new one seem so similar there's no really a room for both. We are talking here about sculpts that are 5 years old. Not an old, 15 year old army that seems outdated.

I really hope they're hiding a lot more for fixing double turn than the one that goes second gets an extra command point. If I am to play a double turn with Kharadron Overlords and shoot my opponent to oblivion or pass and go second for an extra command point guess which I'm going to choose...

Agreed. 5 year old stormcast sculpts did not need a redesign, especially when so many factions still have ancient sculpts. 

AoS is setting a precedent for continuous SCE updates while other factions languish with neglect.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

79400539-E482-4210-811C-3A279EBABC77.jpeg.f0492b2f74ecf149a18e5b7c4275fd7d.jpeg
so having some more thoughts about this image, it appears to be the 3 grot clans Moonclan/ Gloomspite gitz on the far right being our cave dwellers, Evil sunz/ Grotbag scuttlers on the left (definitely a future race/clan to be expanded on) which will be our sky/ plains grots and then the bigger black face in the middle that looks tougher than the others with a bigger nose and more teeth, I recon that’s our new lads but what clan are they and what could their name be? Hobgoblin Khanate? Boglin Fenlords? Hoblin Boglords? 

Edited by Hypno

I think fans also have to understand that AoS is only 5 or 6 yrs old and that Gdubs is still fleshing out and solidifying the setting as compared to 30 yrs of fantasy and 40k. Those first SE didn't even have women sculpts.

So while I do agree that other factions could use the love I do understand why they would decide to go in this direction and really nail down a more grounded look all while giving the basic battleline troops of said settings "posterboy" faction a more balanced gender ratio. I dont play SE but I even in a way salute them for doing this. 

Im not a fan of comparing SE to marines but even marines had different looks all throughout 40ks history to which has led us to the established look of marines. I'd rather they do it now to SE and get them out of the way.

I for one mostly like the new look much more for the most part and i am really hoping that when the multipart kit drops we'll be able to build them as Liberators or these new vindicators in a sort of kill two birds with one stone way all while fine tuning the look and providing male and female models to the basic troops. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

So does anyone else think these rumor engine pics are part of the new Boglin faction?

unnamed.jpg.032ed8c1911bdac362ce530de468ccab.jpg

2021-02-09.jpg

2020-11-03.jpg

2020-10-27.jpg

2020-11-17.jpg

2021-02-16.jpg

2021-03-30.jpg

2021-03-23.jpg

2020-12-09.jpg

2020-12-10.jpg

2020-09-29.jpg

Yes , me too. 

I mean the banner is supposed to be the hint for the upcomming army right? Looking at it, can it be anything else than Goblins, or at least greenskins? I might be wrong, I lack in depth knowledge about lore and Aesthetics, I learn new things here every day, 

This supported by rumor engines that could be very well greenskin, various rumors of different sources that also talk about some sort of greenskin, The more cryptic hints from Whitefang included. 

I see still people talking about Firmir, but apart from the fact that this would fit the 10 little soldier story from the teaser perfectly, is there anything else supporting this?. Can the banner be linked to Firmir in any possible way? Any Rumour engines?

Same For Beast of Destruction or Silent people. Maybe for those there are more reasons to believe we get them at some point, but again, given de banner, which supposed to be the hint for the upcomming faction, I don't think it will be what we will see for the starter set. Could be very well that we will see Beast of Destruction and/or Silent people in the next 3 years as part of the Destruction Edition. 

I am afraid most of it is just wishfull thinking, or a general feeling that we already have enough Goblins, but you cannot ignore the signals I think, or you end up being be heavily disappointed

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lowki said:

Yes , me too. 

I mean the banner is supposed to be the hint for the upcomming army right? Looking at it, can it be anything else than Goblins, or at least greenskins? I might be wrong, I lack in depth knowledge about lore and Aesthetics, I learn new things here every day, 

This supported by rumor engines that could be very well greenskin, various rumors of different sources that also talk about some sort of greenskin, The more cryptic hints from Whitefang included. 

I see still people talking about Firmir, but apart from the fact that this would fit the 10 little soldier story from the teaser perfectly, is there anything else supporting this?. Can the banner be linked to Firmir in any possible way? Any Rumour engines?

Same For Beast of Destruction or Silent people. Maybe for those there are more reasons to believe we get them at some point, but again, given de banner, which supposed to be the hint for the upcomming faction, I don't think it will be what we will see for the starter set. Could be very well that we will see Beast of Destruction and/or Silent people in the next 3 years as part of the Destruction Edition. 

I am afraid most of it is just wishfull thinking, or a general feeling that we already have enough Goblins, but you cannot ignore the signals I think, or you end up being be heavily disappointe

I really hope it's not a new type of greenskin ... I wouldn't mind so much if it was a repackage of greenskins into one force again .... But even then ... Sigh ... I think it's greenskins too, and whilst I love em .... I want a new faction dammit!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grotbag Scuttlers When said:

Yeah, reading through all the exciting speculation people have then comparing it to the rumour of medium-sized green people is a bit deflating.
I'm assuming there is some big hook or twist to stop them from overlapping with the rest of the greentide.

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I think fans also have to understand that AoS is only 5 or 6 yrs old and that Gdubs is still fleshing out and solidifying the setting as compared to 30 yrs of fantasy and 40k. Those first SE didn't even have women sculpts.

So while I do agree that other factions could use the love I do understand why they would decide to go in this direction and really nail down a more grounded look all while giving the basic battleline troops of said settings "posterboy" faction a more balanced gender ratio. I dont play SE but I even in a way salute them for doing this. 

Im not a fan of comparing SE to marines but even marines had different looks all throughout 40ks history to which has led us to the established look of marines. I'd rather they do it now to SE and get them out of the way.

I for one mostly like the new look much more for the most part and i am really hoping that when the multipart kit drops we'll be able to build them as Liberators or these new vindicators in a sort of kill two birds with one stone way all while fine tuning the look and providing male and female models to the basic troops. 

I agree and i'll add that its easier to compare SE to other races in AOS than marines to xeno in 40k in term of book or model updates. How many SE new army model did we get since the Soul War launch a part from some minor heroes ? Fewer than the rate of Space Marine are followed in 40k

42 minutes ago, CarkFish said:

I really hope it's not a new type of greenskin ... I wouldn't mind so much if it was a repackage of greenskins into one force again .... But even then ... Sigh ... I think it's greenskins too, and whilst I love em .... I want a new faction dammit!

Maybe the people predicting new skinny Orruk offshoots have a point. Looking at the new map of Ghur, there are multiple locations named after different races and monsters. One potentially weird new name near Excelsis (where Kragnos or 3.0 will focus on) is called the "Morruk Hills." To me it sounds like when GW changes the name of something slightly to show relationship (like Goblins and Gnoblars, or Tuskgors and Razorgors). It's unlikely, but possible. It being a stone's throw from Excelsis is why it drew my attention.

...Or Morruk is just an Orruk with an uninventive name, but was noteworthy enough to name a region after. I still rather have it be Fimir or Goblins though. Heck, maybe the Fomoroids from Warcry where they aren't enslaved by Chaos.

Edit: The reason I had this idea is just because GW uses this naming scheme for a lot of places. Ghyran has places like the Troggoth Isles, Ogor Hinterlands, and the Aelfgrove Wetlands. Shyish has the Wraithfjords and Cape Ghoul. It wouldn't be out of place.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
  • Like 2

Okay wild theory but hear me out.

What if only one of these things shown in this banner is a new faction?183914475_6010815438929371_1416981897881807943_n.png.ae781bd9283895a87472bda5e7b22e24.png

The middle one for me resembles something like an ogor to me (tusks, large teeth, nose, tufts of hair from the top). In addition, it doesn't have eyes in the shades of red that most greenskins have and those feature's aren't really seen in ogors.99120213022_OMTyrant01.jpg

The one on the right looks like kind of a bad moon type shield and resembles the gobbos of Gloomspite even more through the red eyes and even kind of bears a resemblance to even the leader of the basic stabbas unit.01.jpg

Now the evil sun type thing on the left is really the only thing we haven't seen before, some magic voodoo type thing that would most likely fit to a bog-dwelling faction. It still has eyes in shades of red and yellow which would imply a type of greenskin and features like the nose and teeth more akin to the one on the right.

Now as much as I would like goblins running around a fire in different colorful masks if each of these faces imply a different race I just don't see them fitting together stylistically in one faction (mongolian-esque hobgoblins and ogors fit much more into steppes and the mountains than bogs) and the only one that would share the environment with the new red one is the gloomspite/bad-moon-esque shield/mask.

Edited by pitzok

A wild rumour appeared. Couldn't copy the text so just took a screenshot. It's so random to see this pop up on GamingLeaksAndRumours of all places but it is a rumour so might aswell share. Most reads like common assumptions but the Duradin bit is a bit unlikely I reckon, I just can't see it happening. 

OP states they "got it from a French worker who translates the text into French for Games Workshop text."

Screenshot_20210510_073449.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

A wild rumour appeared. Couldn't copy the text so just took a screenshot. It's so random to see this pop up on GamingLeaksAndRumours of all places but it is a rumour so might aswell share. Most reads like common assumptions but the Duradin bit is a bit unlikely I reckon, I just can't see it happening. 

OP states they "got it from a French worker who translates the text into French for Games Workshop text."

Considering that there isn’t a single mention of skaven, I’m going to put him to the not trustworthy backstabbing  statements

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm definitely in the camp of hoping it's not just another faction of greenskins or goblins, as much as I do love the Gloomspite and Ironjawz. Though I'll admit it does all seem to be pointing to another greenskin army, I just hope at least that the rumours/leaks are severely underselling them and that there is a bit more to them than just being slightly larger goblins riding wolves with a Mongolian aesthetic. Also sounds like a weird match up going against the new Stormcast.

I'm not going to completely write them off until see them though, knowing my luck I'll probably end up loving them.   

Edited by SilentSentinel
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Mmmm yeah nah I’m calling bs on that one chief.

3 hours ago, 123lac said:

Agreed. 5 year old stormcast sculpts did not need a redesign, especially when so many factions still have ancient sculpts. 

AoS is setting a precedent for continuous SCE updates while other factions languish with neglect.

Generally, I agree with you. Stormcast don't need a redesign at this point, in so far as there are way jankier sculpts in other armies. But I can understand why GW felt the need to give them new sculps, anyways.

I think from GWs perspective, one of the strengths 40k had over Warhammer Fantasy is that the game had a faction that was it's "face" with Space Marines. So when they decided to reboot Fantasy for Age of Sigmar, they wanted a protagonist faction like 40k had, which is Stormcast. That line of thinking is probably not wrong. It makes it easier to advertise the game and easier for new players to get into it.

So I think the question is not really whether or not we should have a protagonist faction. GW will have one anyway, because it makes sense from a business perspective (but also from a writing perspective). The question is whether GW is handling their protagonist faction appropriately. What we don't want is a 40k situation, where Space Marines have become so absurdly big that they make up, like, half of all armies. But I think GW's handling of Stormcast last edition shows that they don't want to make Stormcast the Marines of AoS in that way. They got a new release in the beginning of the edition and then that was it, apart from some single models here and there.

That time is now rolling around again. So what should GW do with Stormcast? I would say, they should make sure that Stormcast, being the focus of their general advertising, should reflect the quality of models that GW puts out at the time. They should always look as good as model making technology allows. I don't think it's controversial to say that GW's models have got a lot better since AoS 1, so a new take on basic Stormcast makes sense in that way. GW also seems to want to move to a more grounded, grittier Mortal Realms this edition. The narrative focus seems to be on securing the realms from Chaos and Destruction again. Because of this, in order to have our protagonists match the tone, the slightly more realistic, less exaggerated new Stormcast make sense.

Personally, I have not felt like Stormcast have been overshadowing other factions since I came back to the game two years ago. I think they are being handled fairly well. It seems to me like we can have a protagonist faction in AoS without it becoming a Space Marine situation.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 15

9 hours ago, Kronos said:

Been trying to digest yesterday’s preview. I’ll admit I don’t get a Hobgoblins from yesteryear vibe at all from that teaser (bit bummed as I loved the old Hobgoblins). I don’t get a Fimir vibe either, It feels Greenskin/Troll.

I’m thinking, it will be a brand new Race of Greenskins, what Idoneth are to Aelfs, with references and tidbits, but very much a new culture/race etc.

the closest my scrambling mind can imagine at this point is Half Orcs, but without being called Half Orcs.

29947E99-6022-4FFA-81E6-7BE11FBE30FE.jpeg

C61BC831-9C20-4D7E-8C71-3C763E70116B.png

970E769B-1867-49D8-869B-9E72434D92A0.jpeg

@Whitefang like reacted to this post of Half Orruks, instead of Orruk human hybrids maybe we are getting an Uruk Hai situation with Orruks and Aelves intermingling or Orruks and Grots.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Plis, be fake...

• Like 5