The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, FFJump said:

I was going to suggest a combined orc and goblins tome from Whitefang's mention of the Hobbit, but thought I was reading too much into it. However, I'm starting to think that may be the case. Maybe some Gitmob Grots models as part of Orruk Warclans? Or a new tome with generic orruks and gitmob grots combined in the same vein as the Orcs and Goblins army book in fantasy? That would explain the Orc chariot weapon from the Rumor Engine. I'm gonna spit my drink out if we get a new battletome called "Orruks and Grots".

Are we sure those engine are chariots? To me They just look like random bits that all look aesthetically similar and maybe being the same army but nothing screams it’s a chariot piece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cronotekk said:

Some more 3E rumors garnered from a close friend

-double turns gone

-new faction unveiled with starter vs stormcast

-40k's crusade system ported over

-current warscrolls are incompatible

The reason warscrolls are being made irrelevant so soon after new releases is because COVID offset GW production by 6 months or so, there would have been a larger gap so players didn't feel cheated once 3E dropped.

A lot of the recent leaks have said the double turn is staying and that lab leak the other day said that it still remains with the objective tweaking.  Def can see a warscroll overhaul for the next edition though especially with covid messing with the release schedule.

1 hour ago, Cronotekk said:

If it makes you feel better all the updates are free through FaQs

Why would we suddently believe a wildly debatable shortlist of rumors from an unknown source, listing controversial items from “a close friend” as though being close to soneone makes them credible🤨

I wouldn’t worry about invalidating entirely the entire Broken Realms content so quickly after release, I find this not only too drastic, but essentially cloning the 40k model. If I wanted to play the 40k ruleset, I’d play 40k.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Direchasm isn't even half a year old yet, but since they usually release new seasons in September I suppose it's not out of the question they'd just shorten the season if distribution lines up. That said, even if it does launch in September it still seems waaaaaay too early. I think Beastgrave was announced in late July?

Yes I think they want bring it back to normal schedule. Also it is probbably tied with new AoS starter

9 hours ago, Scorch said:

I hope it's not true. SCE need new rules and named characters, not new models. And they certainly don't need to be medieval knights. 

They are not going to be.

I expect great helms, but combined with wedge heels for female sculpts, pauldrons that might as well be called blinders (as if someone took milanese pauldrons 2 centuries newer than great helms and raised them), oversized weapons, plate armour, misshapen body proportions and no maille in sight. Probably also no horses.

A child's drawing of a knight.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

They are not going to be.

I expect great helms, but combined with wedge heels for female sculpts, pauldrons that might as well be called blinders (as if someone took milanese pauldrons 2 centuries newer than great helms and raised them), oversized weapons, plate armour, misshapen body proportions and no maille in sight. Probably also no horses.

A child's drawing of a knight.

So basically the primaris equivalent of the hated Storm-things😂

• Haha 1

As much as I would love to see an overhaul of Warscrolls and a removal of double turn, going off of the previous rumours I can't see it happening.

I can definitely believe GW invalidating really recent releases; they do it constantly after all, but in this instance I don't think it's going to be the case. From the other rumours it really seems like 3rd ed, for good or bad, will be another iterative edition.

• Like 1

I'm not overly infatuated with strength/toughness, but a little more granularity somewhere would be nice to enable greater unit variety. As in, more niches for units to fall into rather than being straight up unviable. Like the nighthaunt dilemma, buncha units that compete for a role. Can't all win that.

Could come from stats, could come from a mechanic.

Edited by Indecisive
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

As much as I would love to see an overhaul of Warscrolls and a removal of double turn, going off of the previous rumours I can't see it happening.

I can definitely believe GW invalidating really recent releases; they do it constantly after all, but in this instance I don't think it's going to be the case. From the other rumours it really seems like 3rd ed, for good or bad, will be another iterative edition.

I'm genuinely curious what you'd like to see from a warscroll revamp. Aside from the perennial double turn problem,  the most prevalent complaints I've seen about second edition is about over complication, npe and rules bloat. I'm not sure how a new statline would help with any of these problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

I'm genuinely curious what you'd like to see from a warscroll revamp. Aside from the perennial double turn problem,  the most prevalent complaints I've seen about second edition is about over complication, npe and rules bloat. I'm not sure how a new statline would help with any of these problems. 

I want to say that I don't have any problem with actual AoS Warscrolls, but, from my knowledge of lurking for a lot of AoS forum, various blogs and twitch channels, that question seems to be a lot trickier than what it seems:

The whole AOS community seems to find diferent issues with AoS main mechanics and a lot of them can be resumed between balance and NPE, and it's a bit blurry when one ends and the other starts. 

Between this two concepts, we had the dreaded double turn, the high lethality armies (and ending games in turn 2), the small diference between units (some people say "unit specializations" is needed), Monsters disparity, etc...

Changing warscrolls could have a direct impact to a lot of this things and solving some of them. A good example is the infinite debate of S vs T: It can solve the "more specialized units", taking down lethality and making monsters a bit more "thoughter".

I'm not sure if that's what we need (I'm just a casual player that only wants to have fun), but I understand some of this points even if I think that we don't really need them.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Something like Strength and Toughness. That's really it.

The current system has all the same amount of dice rolls as a S/T system so it doesn't make the game much more streamlined. However the flattening of defensive profiles and removal of stats like this causes a few issues for the game; namely that it becomes harder and harder to differentiate and portray different kinds of units and their resilience and it contributes to the spam problem that AOS can suffer from. There's little need to diversify unit choices when because of static wound rolls that can be easily buffed an ordinary battleline unit can be anti-anything it pleases. Similarly something with low numbers of attacks but high damage turns into a horde-blender because of damage overspill.

Now, obviously a S/T style system isn't the only way to address that problem but it's the most obvious one. Another way to do it would be to limit hit/wound roll modifiers to +1/-1 like 9th ed 40k, while also removing damage overspill as a mechanic. You then start to encourage different unit types to be used to deal with different threats while also making more units feel a little different.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Cronotekk said:

Some more 3E rumors garnered from a close friend

-double turns gone

-new faction unveiled with starter vs stormcast

-40k's crusade system ported over

-current warscrolls are incompatible

The reason warscrolls are being made irrelevant so soon after new releases is because COVID offset GW production by 6 months or so, there would have been a larger gap so players didn't feel cheated once 3E dropped.

6 hours ago, Cronotekk said:

If it makes you feel better all the updates are free through FaQs

Well, case closed I guess ? 

521619086_4chanleaksagain.png.1a2a755db9691e979af579f1a0b1668a.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

Something like Strength and Toughness. That's really it.

The current system has all the same amount of dice rolls as a S/T system so it doesn't make the game much more streamlined. However the flattening of defensive profiles and removal of stats like this causes a few issues for the game; namely that it becomes harder and harder to differentiate and portray different kinds of units and their resilience and it contributes to the spam problem that AOS can suffer from. There's little need to diversify unit choices when because of static wound rolls that can be easily buffed an ordinary battleline unit can be anti-anything it pleases. Similarly something with low numbers of attacks but high damage turns into a horde-blender because of damage overspill.

Now, obviously a S/T style system isn't the only way to address that problem but it's the most obvious one. Another way to do it would be to limit hit/wound roll modifiers to +1/-1 like 9th ed 40k, while also removing damage overspill as a mechanic. You then start to encourage different unit types to be used to deal with different threats while also making more units feel a little different.

I get what you are saying, and generally I agree, but GW need to be careful if they do import this feature over. With the S/T system in 40k, the actual S/T values are only one part of the equation. The multiple weapon options and special weapons available in a unit that actually affect those S/T values are the other part. Having a simple S/T stat calculation, whilst a step in the right direction, is not going to solve issues of explosive damage and insta wiping units. It will help, but not to the extent people want or expect. Then we have to ask, if we want to have these multiple weapon options which affect stats in the game? 

Edited by Heijoshin

13 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Well, case closed I guess ? 

521619086_4chanleaksagain.png.1a2a755db9691e979af579f1a0b1668a.png

He/she still took the time to sum up a few things people were already talking about for over a month and put them down as rumours. Didnt put in some originality, did put in some effort.

That being said, i do think there are some issues with the warscrolls. Imo keywords can fix some of the problems with rules bloat. MTG has thousands of cards and rules and still i can pick up a card after not having played for a few years and play the game. 

Edited by Iksdee

My hopes for 3rd editions are that they revisit legecy armies and give them a new pdf or even a book (Forgotten Dynasties; Legion of the wold that was; Settra and the Lady.. choose a name you like). My hope it that they put TK and Brets into Legacy because they were planning to update the warscrolls for 3.0 ..  i can only hope.. i loved playing TK's in AoS2.0 Pre General Handboock 2020. Solid army for semi competetive games.. 18 chariots. 6 Necro knights. settra, liche priest and herald.. so much fun.

anyway.. never trust a source from 4chan (even though i also use 4chan a lot...)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FFJump said:

I was going to suggest a combined orc and goblins tome from Whitefang's mention of the Hobbit, but thought I was reading too much into it. However, I'm starting to think that may be the case. Maybe some Gitmob Grots models as part of Orruk Warclans? Or a new tome with generic orruks and gitmob grots combined in the same vein as the Orcs and Goblins army book in fantasy? That would explain the Orc chariot weapon from the Rumor Engine. I'm gonna spit my drink out if we get a new battletome called "Orruks and Grots".

My guess from the hints is that it will be a force that combines different types of greenskins but I don't think it will be generic - I think it will be strongly themed. Possibly around the clans of the Steppes - the idea around wolf riders and chariots, with Orcs and maybe trolls etc in there as well with the furs etc from the old hobgoblins [just not the same physique as them]. The bonesplittas and Ironjaws would be completely separate factions and distinctly different. I don't think they will look like the old O&G forces. Just a guess, AoS at its best pushes the identity of factions into new and interesting places - i'd expect that for our destruction brethren. 

• Like 2

I have no idea on how AoS3 is going to be, but i do have some wishes:
-fixing the morale issue (aka everyone and their auntie's cats are immune)
-since double turn is not getting anywhere i'd like another bandaid to not make me ragequit as soon as i do not get turn 3 priority
-some nerfs to magic and shooting, say some general dispelling for the army and a penalty for shooting and moving

Edited by Raptor_Jesues