The Rumour Thread

32 minutes ago, Doko said:

100% the oposite,metal minis allways have worse details than plastic,it is a fact. The metal cant get in little crevices so good as plastic, i saw a designer in youtuve saying it.

Also metal is the worst material for build models,hard to remove seam lanes and nubs,have huge gaps everywhere,need pinning or break with nothing etc.

Also painting,have so poor detail that even masterclass paintjobs seems only average due to the zero detail of the metal,the paint rub off very easy and chiping with any touch.

And moreover the metal is toxic.....

Glad that gw never release more ****** metal never. Worst material never seen for a miniature ever,i gladdly prefer chinnese recast in resin or even resin of finecat before metal

I would say the Corvus Belli Infinity range would be a good advertisement of modern metal models, far sharper in detail than new GW kits. GW metal kits in general were not as well designed for building, but I wouldn't blame the material for that. Infinity models go together pretty easily.

Large metal models are a pain in my opinion.

Plastic has it's problems too, especially with undercuts, even on newer kits, some of the new space marines suffer from this, but is much easier to put together than metal or resin. Though I often have to use greenstuff to gap fill on plastic kits also. They just don't have the level of detail a sculpt by Mierce or Corvus Belli has. I'm working on an old metal Captain Cortez and the lines are at least as sharp or sharper than the new Primaris line.

Modern metals don't contain lead and are probably safer than resin miniatures, I'd try not to breathe in dust of any material when sanding or cleaning.

I might be in the minority, but I really don't mind working with metal, as long as it's well cleaned and primed before painting.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Raviv said:

Have you seen the news about 40K coming to Magic: The Gathering?

Not many details yet, but if it's successful, maybe we'll see AoS as well at some point. Could be interesting.

As a Magic fan, I’m not happy with it. It would be like if the next codex was ‘Codex: Planeswalkers’. Magic is its own IP, I’m not a fan of their recent shoehorning of other IP in. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Doko said:

Also metal is the worst material for build models,hard to remove seam lanes and nubs,have huge gaps everywhere,need pinning or break with nothing etc.

I miss lead models. Super easy to clean up and convert, solid heft in your hand and on the table ... just a joy.

Still, plastic has a lot of advantages. Some current models, such as Nagash, would not be possible in lead.

Just now, Sleboda said:

I miss lead models. Super easy to clean up and convert, solid heft in your hand and on the table ... just a joy.

Still, plastic has a lot of advantages. Some current models, such as Nagash, would not be possible in lead.

Metal was great for certain things but I had Dark Elf executioners and I literally had to glue their swords on every single time I transported them anywhere. I probably should have pinned them but I was 16 and lazy... well I am lazier now hence why I like plastic .

• Thanks 1

Metal (not lead) can be a fantastic material to work with and many companies have produced metals using modern tech far better than what gw was able to do 10 years ago. The sculpts for Guildball and for Drowned Earth in particular are just amazing. 

GW have acknowledged many prefer metal over finecast by moving a lot of the middle earth rnage back into metal from finecast eg Boromir.

Losing metal does mean I think we get less special characters or niche models than we might otherwise do. (As costs a lot less to make these so they don’t need to sell as much)

howevrr plastic is the best material and I’m pretty sure with forgeworld models being removed for aos that the game will be 100 percent plastic within a couple of years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

and now that no one is guarding this specifically named and referenced Vampire Emperor's tomb...

DUN-DUN-DURRRRRRRRR!

"I'll take Soulblight Gravelords vampiric Tzar centrepiece model for 500 please Alexi..."

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 16.36.27.png

Now that you mention it things have been almost suspiciously quiet when it comes to wholly new stuff for the Soulblight range.

Also, that badge in his hat: is that a rakishly tilted emblem of Nagash's crown? Upside-down in fact, is he telling us something?

Edited by sandlemad

2 minutes ago, Enoby said:

What actually happened with this game? It just seemed to dissappear here 

We never really got an answer but for whatever reason the company fell silent for around half a year or more; both to customers and stores. Even stores that were selling well could not get hold of any new physical stock. In the end the firm behind it basically waited 6 months of silence and then announced they were ending the physical product and focusing only on the digital platform. Upon which time the whole thing collapsed because the digital game wasn't groundbreaking and really only worked well to support the physical because that's the market that had been attracted to the game to start with.

Despite having  really strong start and loads of talk about events and prizes and official events and the like I figure either they had some background drama of their own; lost their production factory or simply never generated enough money and got their finances wrong and wound up with an unprofitable venture. Or heck maybe they made their fortune and ran. Whatever it was it just didn't work out and it folded. 6 months radio silence suggests to me they had problems behind the scenes for a long while. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1