The Rumour Thread

17 hours ago, Ragest said:

Br 3 is alarielle guys, that had been teased the first day of broken realms, just belakor is going to get involved with alarielle, like gardus or the nighthaunt.

Where in the first day of Broken Realms did it say that? Link to the article?

Edited by Aesir Doomaxe

On 2/22/2021 at 12:24 AM, sandlemad said:

If you like we could also make the point that the emphasis this mode puts on his killing another chaos dude - I don’t think there’s actually many chaos models with other dead chaos folks on their bases - has faintly Malal-esque resonances but at that stage it’s a little bit in the eye of the beholder.

That's exactly why it stands out for me. It makes a point in showing the dead Chaos Warrior at Be'lakor's feet. Whereas Be'lakor's entrance into the Mortal Realms would've easily suggested dead SCE at his feet for the visual impact. Especially in regards to the newcomers who don't know who he is.

I think the ideas of Be'lakor vs the Everchosen as being a main drive behind his mini(and maybe accompanying army) are spot on.

• Like 3

It is curious that GW released the mono pose mono part new getting started set for Chaos a while back with new Chaos Warriors and Knights, but kept the old kits on sale too. This could be part of a mini slaves to darkness wave update with individual model updates for those models. Or could be vampire cavalry of some kind. It's certainly a horse hoof with a dark edge I'd say. 

4 hours ago, Yokai said:

That formula has worked wonders for GW in 40k (financially, that is) so there is a good chance the heroic SCE narrative will be pushed even further in AoS, unfortunate as it is. Marinehammer 40k lieutenants is what drove me away from that game, I would hate to see it happen here as well.

unless GW is going to do a complete 180, this isn't going to happen in AOS. Stormcast are the poster faction for branding but are a middling army at best right now.  And while I LOVE seeing so many diverse AOS releases, Stormcast haven't gotten anything since Soul Wars released aside from some books and anniversary models... BR Morathi did not really do anything for our army comp wise. There's no way they even come close to the BS that is Marines in 40k.

AOS is selling well enough that GW knows this strat is working, and I will give them the benefit of the doubt of being smart enough to not paint themselves into the same corner of 40k's Marine spam.

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Bicko said:

I want to believe it's marurder horsemen. As @elfhead said it's very much like the chaos knight horses as anyone without them can see on this photo

PXL_20210223_143145048.jpg

Spot on mate. Definitely a chaos hoof whatever it is. 

Damn we really might get a STD release alongside Be'lakor, that would be an amazing surprise. Maybe it would even solve that chaos sorcerer thingy rumour engine, or possibly just a base decoration for ol Be'l. 

Dreams: New Marauders and Horsemen

Expectations: Multi pose Chaos Warriors and Knights 

Edited by Black_Templar_Lad

7 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

unless GW is going to do a complete 180, this isn't going to happen in AOS. Stormcast are the poster faction for branding but are a middling army at best right now.  And while I LOVE seeing so many diverse AOS releases, Stormcast haven't gotten anything since Soul Wars released aside from some books and anniversary models... BR Morathi did not really do anything for our army comp wise. There's no way they even come close to the BS that is Marines in 40k.

AOS is selling well enough that GW knows this strat is working, and I will give them the benefit of the doubt of being smart enough to not paint themselves into the same corner of 40k's Marine spam.

Another very important factor is that stormcast does not have anywhere near the same playerbase saturation. Marine players (in some form) probably make up around 40-60% of the 40k playerbase, but stormcast probably don't break 15% (and I wouldn't be surprised to hear if it was lower than 10%).

I'd love to see the actual statistics behind it but we don't have access to that data.

• Like 2

Marines took years to reach the saturation they do and it was part of a continued and sustained marketing move by GW. I think in part deliberate and in part accidental. Deliberate in that they were pushed in all the marketing (BL even had a mandate that most/all books had to be Imperial based which instantly heavily biases marines); they were pushed as the symbol of 40K as well as being in starter sets, artwork, media etc... In general Marines were the face of 40K in a huge way.

However it was also accidental in that high popularity meant high sales which mean more and more customer demand for more product. Suddenly Marines are not just 1 army but many with upgrade pathways of their own. Today Marines have many sub-groups which each have unique codex and rules and support etc... In almost every other army those sub-armies are only in the rules alone and are often only a handful of variations focused around a theme (eg one will be close combat heavy; one ranged; one will favour a subgroup of models around a lore them etc...). 

However this also means less focus and fewer customers and fewer production slots for other armies. 

For a game of 40K's age armies like Eldar should not be as backward in model support as they are now; armies like Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar should not have been left without updates ot their rules for several editions; let alone models in terms of Sisters of Battle. 

I think this viewpoint came through when they re-evaluated AoS and realised that yes they could do marine marketing again; but the game would end up loads of stormcast armies vs stormcast armies. Which doesn't fit the lore of the setting at all and also, honestly, isn't as creative nor interesting. I think GW also realised that steadier support for ALL armies in equality (or near enough) generates smoother sales across the range; rather htan big swings and dips. GW doesn't want to run risks like Sisters of Battle any more where they have massive army updates. Yes that CAN generate vast interest, but it could also backfire and leave GW with a huge investment that isn't returning as fast as they would like*. 
I think GW has moved from a swings and troughs marketing and investment pattern to one that's aiming for a steadier stream of cash over time, yet still with big releases because those do generate lots of interest and purchasing. 

Heck just look at the surveys for AoS, purchasing, interest and competitive all show a broader spread of factions being support. Those on the down are things like Fyreslayers with limited model and theme support or brand new armies that have a way to go before they can stand next to armies with 20-30 year histories behind them. 

*GW products don't de-value so whilst fast recouping of investment is important its no where near as bad for them if it goes slower than it is for things like computer games, music or DVDs.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Overread said:

It is curious that GW released the mono pose mono part new getting started set for Chaos a while back with new Chaos Warriors and Knights, but kept the old kits on sale too. This could be part of a mini slaves to darkness wave update with individual model updates for those models. Or could be vampire cavalry of some kind. It's certainly a horse hoof with a dark edge I'd say. 

I just want new rules 🥲

I’d be disappointed if it were new marauder horsemen, that kit still holds up perfectly well, don’t see any need for it to be replaced. Good weapons, good customisation, good poses, they’re great minis. Regular marauders need an update, sure, but not these guys.

I’d like to say chaos knights as they really could do with this theoretical multipart kit but then it doesn’t have the leg armour...

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

Your half right

Eu6u4bmU4AkFomu.jpeg

These Lumineth hats just keep getting bolder.

As for Slaves to Darkness updates, I am really hoping for new Chosen although I hope that they are reimagined either aesthetically or in terms of lore as unmounted Varanguard. I know that doesn't tie into the Rumour engine but it is my most wanted unit for the army. As for the image itself I am going to guess it might be part of a mounted Warcry warband or a mounted Dark Oath Champion. Like @sandlemadI think Marauder Horsemen are not in desperate need of an update, and I feel that Chaos Knights would probably have some armour on their horses. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Bicko said:

I want to believe it's marurder horsemen. As @elfhead said it's very much like the chaos knight horses as anyone without them can see on this photo

PXL_20210223_143145048.jpg

What leads me to think blood knights is the subtle extending point at the tip, which is a common element with the sollerets on vampire armor.