The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, Ogregut said:

With the stuff revealed today coming out on the 14th that leaves 5 more release weeks until Christmas. 

We have 

Bloodbowl

Underworlds

2 more 40k codexs

Xmas boxes 

What's in the 5th slot? 

There are still marines and Necrons to come or something shiny and new maybe? 

I wouldn't expect new Xmas boxes. With the severe reduction in production output over the last year, and the avalanche of things coming through the end of the year (not to mention catching up on hot new items* that are out of stock), I can't see it as a real option for them.  Produce plastic to fill new combo boxes that offer discounts, or sell the New Hotness at full price to keep share prices up at year-end? Hmmm... Such a tough choice. :)

If (big if) there are Xmas deals, I think it's more likely that they will be web-only combos of existing products with some small bonus item tossed in. For example, the "Bonereapers Bundle" - includes two boxes of Guard, a box of cavalry, one crawler, and a soulmason. Get the bundle and they include a pot of wraithbone paint and (or?) a small dry brush for free.  That sort of thing. No new boxes to produce to contain the combo, nothing to have to produce at all.  Just grab existing stock from the warehouse, and ship it to the customer. Heck, include a little Xmas post card with a pre-printed Happy Holidays note on it and job's good.

They really are having a problem with stock on even the newest items, which is deadly for them. They are telling stores they are getting 2 max of new items, even if the store knows for certain they could sell 30. Most of those lost sales are usually permanently lost. In a few weeks, they are no longer new items, and something else will have taken the money. I mean, the Void Dragon went out of stock! A feature item for the current flavor of the week army, and they can't produce enough to meet demand? Yikes! And don't even get me started on zero availability on the 3 Lokhust Destroyers I wanted but couldn't get despite preordering on day 1. No way would GW want to put effort and production capacity into a new discounted Xmas box filled with old items when they could instead ensure enough stock of full price items during the period where they will sell their best.

*We had a few guiding concepts in the office back in my GW Trade Sales days. One was that you sell some insane amount of a product's entire life of sales in that initial few weeks of release. For instance, if your shop was going to sell 50 copies of the Warcry starter in the two years it would be available, you could expect at least 35 of those too sell in the first two weeks. If you only had two in stock for the first two weeks, you would likely permanently lose the sale of 33 sets. (Which is why, as sales guys, we tried so hard to have our retailers stock heavy early rather than stock light and expect to reorder each time they sold out - Every day they had zero in stock while awaiting a restock meant lost sales as people lose enthusiasm or get distracted by be things while waiting for the order to come in ... but I digress.)

TL,DR:  Selling old items cheaper (including having to create new packaging for them) when production is limited and parents are not shopping in physical stores is a poor choice compared to selling new items during their biggest selling window, thus no Xmas boxes.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Khadral said:

Not a great deal on the stormcast side. 30€ saving, but 20+ are on a really useless box of of gryph hounds

At least the battalion as they say can ambush from the tables edges, which is really useful to do with long range judicators in an army where the only allegiance ability is deep striking anywhere... wait... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

At least the battalion as they say can ambush from the tables edges, which is really useful to do with long range judicators in an army where the only allegiance ability is deep striking anywhere... wait... 

It sure is if the whole battalion can deepstrike together as 1 drop it lowers drop and let you deepstrike a lot of units without needing 1 for every 2.  And scoins of the storm is pretty bad anyway with the -1 to hit. There is some potential here. And the gryphounds can be pretty anoying to handle even tho internet gives them zero credit. 

edit: also dont forget this battalion finely brings together some (weak) synergies like the gryphounds combo with a lord veritant for the better dispel and the gryphound alarm function for some reactive shooting. I can understand why these units are together. Sadly its hard to pull of but i can see stuff here

Edited by Juicy

21 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

I’m considering starting a storm cast army focused on animals

With nothing but Gryph hounds and Aetherwings, you really need to convert any stormcast into what looks like the random pokemon trainers on the low level roads from any pokemon game

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here the total price  if you buy the stuff that each box contains separatly and the saving you 'd make  from buying the BR box set :

Idk : 109 euros , saving 39 euros.

cities : 105 euros, saving 35 euros.

Stormcast  : 109,50 euros saving 29,50 euros.

Slaves to Darkness : 105 euros, saving 35 euros. 

Edited by Sigmarusvult

38 minutes ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Here the total price  if you buy the stuff that each box contains separatly and the saving you 'd make  from buying the BR box set :

what box are you talking about?

Will there be some battleforces this xmas? What are they? (AoS and 40K if possible 😉 )

Just to confirm - those are not christmas boxes, they are "key event" boxes from the Morathi book coming out this weekend on preorder. They pair with the book and rules in them, though of course if you want those models or want to make a start at those armies they are a nice discount box to get hold of some fun models. 

58 minutes ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Looks like they heard us screaming 😄

• Like 1