The Rumour Thread

16 hours ago, Chikout said:

The biggest problem with KO right now is the lack of battleline options. If the new book makes thunderers, endrinriggers and gunhaulers conditional battleline then we could have a very exciting book with lots of different builds. If we are stuck with the arkanaut company as the only battline, I will join in the complaints. 

How about Frigates for battleline :)

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Hopefully releases for them is just the kind of news we might get at New Years reveal event. 

I would assume at least a year's wait for the models in these boxes. Much less than that and it seems likely it would discourage purchases of the combo boxes.

Also, it would behoove GW to not make it to predictable by making them all a year later. Were I in their shoes I'd vary it from 10 to 16 months.

6 hours ago, Nos said:

Yes , I can  it's the one I've explained at length.  Make lots of products that you know will sell.  Bring back older stuff that customers have told you will sell in enough numbers to justify it and hype them up over years of development to ensure they do. Try some more fringe stuff. If it sells well, add it to the make more pile. If it dosent, make sure the new stuff is more like the stuff that already sells when you try it next time. That's manifestly GW's business model and the rationale on which things are released. 

And yes lots of things in the world make lots of money but in this hobby, most things actually dont, certainly not to the degree required to simply maintain GWs infastructure and massive running costs let alone turn a profit, so to have an IP and system that makes good money is more than reason enough to stick with it actually. 

I never once said the system is great, or makes the most sense or cannot be improved upon, did I? So you can chill out on that front. That's your own frustration speaking. Dont put words in my mouth.

Rather, dont confuse your own hopes and aspirations for what GW should release with anything they themselves claim. It dosent matter if you want parity or not as GW have *never* claimed they will offer it or prioritise it so your insistence on that isnt coming from them. You want it sure, but those are not expectations based upon anything other than what you want  and  certainly not on what GW itself says.

The flip side of saying some laps it up for choosing to spend their own money on a product they are in no way what so ever compelled to buy is that people are acting like children for not getting what they want, based on nothing other than a sense of entitlement. It "should" be fair, everyone "should" get the same. Why? Because it's what you want, ultimately, and that's all there is to it. I want more toys, GW should make the toys, it's not fair I dont have the toys I want, it's not an excuse that they have a business to run because I want my stuff and they should meet my needs. 

I agree with some of this, but I don't know that I would describe GW's business model in such....regimented terms.

I mean lets be real, people had to basically beg on hands and knees for YEARS before GW decided to remake Sisters of Battle.  Also look at the Horus Heresy line.  From the time I started in the hobby in 1996 people asked to know more, to have models, etc.  I'm sure it was happening before then and it continued for a decade before GW decided it was a good idea.  I find it hard that anyone can justify that reluctance, and maybe you don't mean to be, but it sounds like you are justifying if not agreeing with it.

It is also hard to reconcile what I keep hearing about GW's model design process which is "the designers make what they think looks cool" with a practical business plan of any sort.

In my opinion here is the glaring problem with that business plan: once 3D printers hit whatever mark they need in order to become more widespread- GW is going to take a huge hit.  Because they won't have readily available models that their consumers are telling them are desired, and people will  be able to purchase better looking Marauders, improved Blood Knights, new Seraphon, etc.

If GW really is a company focused on making money first, last, and always- they are leaving quite a bit of it on the table. 

And in @Kirjava13's defense even when GW was circling the drain only five years ago there were quite a few people vigorously defending them.  So I can sympathize with the frustration when someone complains about GW's practices and is told the usual "blah blah entitlement" garbage.  It is a bit difficult to use the word entitlement when there is a business transaction contemplated.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

But 2019 was a poor year for the quality of their content. They put out twice as many books for Age of Sigmar as the previous year and the majority of them had basic grammatical errors, spelling errors, contradicting rules, rules that are unclear, unuseable etc.. A book cannot be considered "released" until 2 weeks AFTER waiting for a FAQ...

It is obvious they made a tradeoff of quality vs quantity in 2019 - Their goal was to release as many books as possible, which obviously meant they lacked a little polish.

Im okay with this - I would much rather have average-good quality on almost every faction, instead of only maybe one third books being released at top notch level. The last bit doesnt matter to me, and would rather see as many people as possible being able to enjoy their toys properly.

In general I dont really agree on the quality being poor - Loads of the books are AMAZING. They hit the nail on the head both fluff wise and how the armies play in many of the books. A lot of warscrolls feel great.

S2D is an example of a book that is awesome where they really captured the essence of chaos being able to corrupt and mutate terrain and the opponent as you play on the table.

The 2 week FAQ is obviously annoying, but there is no way they can playtest armies and push every warscroll/trait/batallion to the limit the same way our community does it. In general the 2 week FAQs arent really surprising. You can guess the majority of the fixes with a little bit of common sense and it is rare they mess up a warscroll of a unit.

I think you are a madman if you truly see 2019 as a failure in any way.

• Like 3

Bonereapers players shouldn't complain. They have one of, if not the, best battleline options in the game. It's not a tax to include something you absolutely want in every single list. 

For KO I think it would be nice if the ships benefited in some way from having arkanauts in them. Maybe if arkanauts garrisoned in ships counted as models in range of the objective if the boat itself is in range. 

I don't normally encourage power creep in armies I don't play and have no intention of playing, but I feel like KO players deserve some good rules after all they've been through! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Bonereapers players shouldn't complain. They have one of, if not the, best battleline options in the game. It's not a tax to include something you absolutely want in every single list. 

For KO I think it would be nice if the ships benefited in some way from having arkanauts in them. Maybe if arkanauts garrisoned in ships counted as models in range of the objective if the boat itself is in range. 

I don't normally encourage power creep in armies I don't play and have no intention of playing, but I feel like KO players deserve some good rules after all they've been through! 

If FEC 1.0 to 2.0 is any indication, KO players got nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Re-reading the warhammer article, Barak-Zifin can take Arkanaut Frigates as battleline. I feel like throughout the book there will be at least 4 battleline choices.

Edited by SleeperAgent

I think that many factions can argue that their battleline might feel like a tax when they have smaller ranges where they might only have one or two battleline models to choose from. Reapers do only have two choices - one infantry or one cavalry. Which whilst they have weapon option variations, are basically the same if you take spears or swords (the stats for both are very similar). So in general the choice is partly made for you without much thinking for the player.

Contrast that to bigger armies where you might have six or more options and bigger variety in weapon options that define the unit role and there's quite a bit more "choice" in them.

Though I'd argue the only army that really feels like their troops are a TAX at present is Slaanesh ;)

Interesting rumour picture - what's curious is that its a sheathed weapon (or the sheath of a weapon) and yet its clearly standing "proud" of the model. So it might be something posed with a really flamboyant style - so running/jumping/dancing etc... so that its sheath is tossed out behind/to the side as it moves. 

12 minutes ago, madmac said:

image.png.f170b2e45504fd15659cb952a67e9ce2.png

That there sure looks like an elf weapon. The little symbol I don't think is one we've seen before.  All in all, looks like a Hysh Aelf to me.

Its a grail. Bretonnians confirmed!

:D

But on a slightly more serious note, all the Grail Knights and Damsels did go somewhere. Is it possible that Tyrion and Teclis found their souls and mingled them with the elven souls they rescued from Slaanesh? They were the favored beings of an elven goddess, after all.

Hysh elves as Elftonnians confirmed, calling it now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Edit: Deepkin is too fast. That Grail caught my eyes 😁

...the rumor engine definitely looks like an aelf release at some point. Hyshian more than Ulgu I guess.

(Ps:I secretly wish that the pocket realm created by Lileath for bretonnians and wood elves make it someday into AoS and become an interesting concept...)

Edited by Harioch
  • LOVE IT! 2

15 minutes ago, madmac said:

image.png.f170b2e45504fd15659cb952a67e9ce2.png

That there sure looks like an elf weapon. The little symbol I don't think is one we've seen before.  All in all, looks like a Hysh Aelf to me.

Is that a grail....?

With Hashut poking out of the top?!

#chaosdwarfsconfirmed 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kasper said:

It is obvious they made a tradeoff of quality vs quantity in 2019 - Their goal was to release as many books as possible, which obviously meant they lacked a little polish.

Im okay with this - I would much rather have average-good quality on almost every faction, instead of only maybe one third books being released at top notch level. The last bit doesnt matter to me, and would rather see as many people as possible being able to enjoy their toys properly.

In general I dont really agree on the quality being poor - Loads of the books are AMAZING. They hit the nail on the head both fluff wise and how the armies play in many of the books. A lot of warscrolls feel great.

S2D is an example of a book that is awesome where they really captured the essence of chaos being able to corrupt and mutate terrain and the opponent as you play on the table.

The 2 week FAQ is obviously annoying, but there is no way they can playtest armies and push every warscroll/trait/batallion to the limit the same way our community does it. In general the 2 week FAQs arent really surprising. You can guess the majority of the fixes with a little bit of common sense and it is rare they mess up a warscroll of a unit.

I think you are a madman if you truly see 2019 as a failure in any way.

If you are ok with an inferior product for quantity, I dont know what to tell you.  they released half a dozen books that have such crazy difference in power level to other books. Its either blatantly writing rules to sell models and then nerf later, or just put incompetence on the rules writers side of things with a complete lack of oversight by the play testers. Or maybe they are apathetic and just don't care. I dont know which option is worse.

You point to StD as a balanced book.. except for the game breakingly broken command ability. "Oh but they will FAQ it.." give me a break. It should have never made it passed an editor with even a basic grasp of the rules of the game.  Another one is so bad there is a twitter campaign to shelf the army by a hobby content leader. FEC winning 80% of their games (backed up by statistics.. not opinion FACT) for several months was "fun." 

I think you are blind if you think the content they released in 2019 was up to the quality of books they have released in the passed. It was bad. Plain and simple. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, madmac said:

I honestly hadn't considered the grail angle, that's interesting, especially since it does still look very High Elfy. Wasn't there some snippet in one of the battletomes this year talking about Tyrion's Cavalry tactics?

Bretonnias were changed into ghost guardians of Aelven enclave maybe Light Twins did find it.