The Big Community Survey 2019

The first question on the 2nd page reads.... HOW MANY?  how many what? how many armys do I have? how many friends do I have? how many models do I have? I am lost...

The first question after the inital survey, basically the 2nd page after the first 6-7 questions.

Edited by Superninja

9 minutes ago, Superninja said:

The first question on the 2nd page reads.... HOW MANY?  how many what? how many armys do I have? how many friends do I have? how many models do I have? I am lost...

The first question after the inital survey, basically the 2nd page after the first 6-7 questions.

How many friends have you invited to the hobby.

• Like 1

Did the survey.

Gave them praise for their Warhammer Community articles and the quality of new models being released.

But I also had a big whinge about having to pay for rules and why that is the single biggest thing putting me off from being a player as well as a hobbyist instead of just a hobbyist.

One day I hope that all rules contained in battle tomes, GHB, expansions and campaign books are provided for free online. I'd buy more models if that were the case.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 123lac said:

One day I hope that all rules contained in battle tomes, GHB, expansions and campaign books are provided for free online. I'd buy more models if that were the case.

Kind of doubt that will happen. It’s not a bad purchase considering outside the General”s handbook is just for the edition and even that is annually. And they the use money to pay the writers and photographers for their work. They need to be paid like the model miniature makers and artists too.

Even putting it online still have to pay the people who make it, and for the server to host it.

34 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

Kind of doubt that will happen. It’s not a bad purchase considering outside the General”s handbook is just for the edition and even that is annually. And they the use money to pay the writers and photographers for their work. They need to be paid like the model miniature makers and artists too.

Even putting it online still have to pay the people who make it, and for the server to host it.

I'd argue that by reducing the barrier to entry of playing by providing free rules they would increase their pool of players and generate more sales of other products as a result.

And before someone brings up the free core rules - sure - but we all want the 'full experience' and currently that means forking out for GHB and other books.

Edited by 123lac
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

With the profit margin they have on plastic models they could easily give away books, or at least updates to books for free.  Producing plastic after initial cast investment is super cheap. So those $50 boxes of Witch Aelves (or Vulkites, etc) are probably sitting at 900% profit. Through retailers it's still 400-500% profit.

• Like 2

I think you are grossly overestimating the profit margins. The initial design and building of the molds can cost from 12k-120k or even 250k$ depending on the complexity and overall amount of pieces. Paying the artist, the modelers to build from the artists design. The license on the modeling program, running test runs while you decide the best way to divide the parts to fit on the spruce and in the box.

While the cost to produce it afterwards is easier with the molds how many $50 kits do you need to sell to make just that money back?

That doesn’t include paying artists for the box design, generating the rules for this new unit/model. Storing in a warehouse while you make more. paying the people in the warehouse to stock, store and protect them. The shipping to suppliers and the overseas warehouses that will need to be paid for upkeep and employees. The Games Workshop storefronts all across the world, the rent on those properties, the utilities the employees, the additional supplies such as all the posters and marketing they are doing, support for tournaments and events, just running warhammer world.

The Website being updated and maintained and constantly ensuring your data is safe if you buy online, the license for the shopping cart and the fees associated with that. All the people who are responsible for all of this and the people in charge of them and in charge of them, etc.

Paying the lawyers to make sure they still have a game to sell people.

There is a good profit to be made  potentially but please don’t think they are making 45$ out of your 50$ purchase as actual profit. It’s probably closer to 1-2$ out of your 50$ And that is probably high estimate.

And to argue about a free ruleset... I really don’t see how a 50$ investment every couple of years is a high barrier if you are buying a 120$ single model and that isn’t counting the paints and glue. Heck World of Warcraft you pay 60$ every couple of years atop the 15$ a month playing fee. 

Malifaux is now working on their 3rd edition ruleset and it will cost money to buy on top of the 50$ starter kits plus whatever other models you want to run.

Think of a miniature game with all rules free that you play. You play with friends, if the two, three, four, fifteen of you can chip in to buy the GHB every year and the Core rules to play together every three to four years  I don’t see how that is so expensive still. Not everyone has to have every single book if you all play together, all you need is your battletome. Unless you absolutely need every single spell from malign sorcery that is also one that can be shared as well:

I haven’t bought a rulebook outside my battletomes since 6th ed 40k corr book by myself.  I chip in with my bro and his friends most of the time now. Or someone else has the books on hand and happy to borrow for the 30-60 seconds we actually need to book to generate the game setup. Well....I did also get the Exterminatus case too from Apocalypse, but, that was so damn cool.

I’m not saying it’s a good bit I’m not saying it’s bad either, all that stuff costs money, even if you don’t print a book you still have to pay for the people, the computer software, the internet, the computers, the cameras and equipment, and the electricity.

This is a global company, not three guys in basement who posts rules onto a little blog site they made on Wix. 

Edited by King Taloren
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, King Taloren said:

This is a global company, not three guys in basement who posts rules onto a little blog site they made on Wix. 

Yup, they are a listed company on the LON with a 1.21 billion market cap and exceptional growth over the past 5 years. All that and their PE is actually pretty reasonable. Quality company to invest in IMO unless Brexit screws things up.

A company like that has the capital to provide free rules for the purpose of growing their player base and thus generating greater sales over the long run. This is my theory any way. You're welcome to disagree, I know many do regarding free rules vs paid rules.

@King Taloren While I totaly agree that the margin on the product is lower than the 95% that everyone expects, its still way higher than the 4-5% you suggested. As retailers get a 24-25% Discount the real Margin has to be somewere around 30-40% (at least this would be my expectation)

Anyone noticed that they forgott BCR and Ogors as mentioned Factions in the AoS Part of the Survey? :(

There are two ways to look at that info about the missing factions. Either they are being overlooked or they are next in line for battletomes and so close to print that they didn’t want to say anything.

Depends on things. From working in Retail Management I have been told that while we do have a 30-45% average markup on many items the actual profits is about 3.4-4.5 cents to the dollar after you pay out everything including wages and benefits. 

Edited by King Taloren