Gitmob Grots Removed from NZ Store following the Gloomspite Gits Launch

Barbossal

I suspect Free Peoples (and possibly one or two other older factions like Wanderers or Dispossessed) might eventually get a complete overhaul/replacement similar to Gloomspite, resulting in the shelving of older models and possibly entire (sub)factions. That would be a major release though, and probably isn't coming for a long time.

I think GW is here relying on the new faction to "replace" the older faction and soften the blow. So I would suspect they continue this trend in the future, perhaps (just as an example) by deleting Greenskinz when they update Ironjawz with a broader range that could be viewed as a direct replacement for the old orcs. It doesn't make sense for AoS to have a potentially infinite number of armies going forward, so something has to give if they keep adding new ones at their current pace.

• Like 4

My only complaint is that they're not putting the models on "last chance to buy", it wouldn't have been hard to admit that the Gitmob was going away when the Gloomspite were annouced, and it'd have improved sales of the old models.

As the year's pass, we'll see this more and more, the older factions that they just haven't got a good concept for, will fade away as they release new ideas to fill the niche.

The most vulnerable ones left will be Free Peoples / Dispossed, Wanderers and the various Aelf factions. We know they've got a firm idea for the Aelves, but they're all "new model" concepts, and the Free People / Dispossed both lack anything concrete beyond Steamtanks and Cannons of the Ironweld.

I think Dispossessed are the outlier. They have out-performed some new/battletome armies (*cough* Fyreslayers *cough*) in several ownership surveys I have seen over the years.

There will always be a demand for "classic" dwarves, and they seem to have a certain small - yet not insignificant - fraction of the player-base that is fiercely loyal.

Existing range plus a new plastic Anvil and a few guns, and they would remain solid sellers IMHO.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

I think Dispossessed are the outlier. They have out-performed some new/battletome armies (*cough* Fyreslayers *cough*) in several ownership surveys I have seen over the years.

There will always be a demand for "classic" dwarves, and they seem to have a certain small - but not insignificantly so - fraction of the player-base that is fiercely loyal.

Existing range plus a new plastic Anvil and a few guns, and they would remain solid sellers IMHO.

Not to mention the rumoured Gholemkin that would likely pair nicely with a Dispossessed force.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

Not to mention the rumoured Gholemkin that would likely pair nicely with a Dispossessed force.

Golems are my personal hope. That, along with war engines and hero's is all that dispossessed need (along with a tome of course) to be a full fledged army.

Just as long as they don't go too crazy designwise of course, and make some kind of hyper stylized, clockwork monstrosity of spindly arms, gears and cogs. I feel KO fill the steampunk aesthetic enough. Let Dispossessed by runic stone.

Still, the quite squating of gitmob has me worried. Guess I'll just continue painting what I like and hope I don't play myself lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Golems are my personal hope. That, along with war engines and hero's is all that dispossessed need (along with a tome of course) to be a full fledged army.

Just as long as they don't go too crazy designwise of course, and make some kind of hyper stylized, clockwork monstrosity of spindly arms, gears and cogs. I feel KO fill the steampunk aesthetic enough. Let Dispossessed by runic stone.

Still, the quite squating of gitmob has me worried. Guess I'll just continue painting what I like and hope I don't play myself lol

I am still convinced normal Dwarves will stick around, they are too iconic for the francise. It's the entire reason Night Goblins got a facelift was because they were iconic and had a dedicated fanbase, just like Dwarves. Heck, the most infamous rival of the Night Goblins was the Dwarves, so it would be odd to have one faction missing,

If they do it, my guess is they will be in a combined Free Persons book. Both species are typically mentioned together in the lore and are connected through the Ironweld. Major release of humans, minor release of Duardins like maybe Warriors/Thunderers/Quarrellers and something else similar to the Troggoths in Gloomspite.

5 hours ago, Barbossal said:

High Risk of Squatting:

- Greenskins

- Shadowblades

- Lion Rangers

Greenskins are a yes for squatting, even if they have a Start Collecting when many other armies don’t (Daughters, Idoneth). 

Shadowblades gets folded into whatever becomes of Darkling Covens. It’s a Dark Rider (part of the Doomfire Warlock box) and an Assassin (1 model).

Lion Rangers... depends on if High Aelves get a legion faction or not. On the one hand, the kits they have are plastic and nice. On the other, they aren’t adding anything to those kits, and there isn’t much to build the Lion Rangers into the “Souls stolen from Slaanesh” narrative. So logically, they are gone too.

2 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

Greenskins are a yes for squatting, even if they have a Start Collecting when many other armies don’t (Daughters, Idoneth). 

Shadowblades gets folded into whatever becomes of Darkling Covens. It’s a Dark Rider (part of the Doomfire Warlock box) and an Assassin (1 model).

Lion Rangers... depends on if High Aelves get a legion faction or not. On the one hand, the kits they have are plastic and nice. On the other, they aren’t adding anything to those kits, and there isn’t much to build the Lion Rangers into the “Souls stolen from Slaanesh” narrative. So logically, they are gone too.

I'm thinking that with GW striving towards IP copyright, there's nothing unique at all about their assassin unit. So I think it's probably gone. Dark Riders will probably move to Darkling Coven, if only for the fact they share a box with the Warlock unit for DoK.

I’m also a person who collects all of the armies, so here’s my opinion.

Gitmob brings three things to the table:

1. Grots

2. Wolf Cavalry

3. Artillery

The normal Grots are not as appealing compared to Moonclan. 

The Wolf Cavalry are nice, but wolves are completely out of place in the Mortal Realms.

The Artillery was what normal Grots brought to the O&G Table. But that table is gone and every one of these models are old and made of the wrong material. AoS as a whole has a “We don’t know what to do with Artillery” issue. They don’t make it strong enough for the points they place it at for fear of a gun line, so I usually skip the section, which is a shame.

Ive ruled out all three, but here is the saddest fact of all; If you bought a lot of Grots recently, you probably bought the O&G half of Skull Pass , which means that you ended up with Moonclan and Spiderfang Grots. Thus, I’m betting that unless you are a really old fan, you probably never bought a box of plain ole Grots, and GW’s research shows it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

I'm thinking that with GW striving towards IP copyright, there's nothing unique at all about their assassin unit. So I think it's probably gone. Dark Riders will probably move to Darkling Coven, if only for the fact they share a box with the Warlock unit for DoK.

Considering the uniqueness of the Assassin’s rules (hides in a unit, deals d3 damage to a hero) and that the model is already a plastic kit leans me to wager it not getting scrapped.

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

This is interesting.  But it would also be interesting to know reasons people claimed for having them.  Is it people with old fantasy collections?  Dwarfs were a fairly popular army.  Is it due to price?  I don’t think you can dismiss the fact that Fyreslayers have a serious price issue with their infantry that probably halts a lot of people from playing them.  Or is it actually due to preference for the classic dwarf aesthetic (note that I am a big fan of that look as well)?

I’m not going to claim any one of these over another, but they are things to consider.

I believe I saw a leaked page of the new tome that has greenskinz and gitmob as allies. I could be mistaken. But if so they are at least usable in the new book.

I'm looking now... I don't even think this is a leak. This is the GW youtube video paused. Even if they are allies I suspect they will never be updated again and overpointed in the next GH. The faction focus GW did in June were quite accurate on the armies we will see imo. BoC as one army, Grots as one army with pictures of spider and troll and moonclan. Gutbusters which has to be coming soon... But no gitmob or greenskinz if I recall.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/03/3rd-june-faction-focus-grotsgw-homepage-post-3/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/31/31st-may-faction-focus-the-beasts-of-chaosgw-homepage-post-3/

48412832_278873919466832_1134852486998261760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=e84896153b1a8d592e6d71c8d291102a&oe=5C91AB40

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 1

Saying a lot of the same things, but I’ll post my thoughts anyway.

I am both disappointed and understanding, in addition to exuberance over this gloomspite release – I really didn’t expect so much love for the troggoths!!!  

I don’t like the prospect of all our old models becoming “obsolete” in the matched play rules and points, although in practice that is irrelevant for me as my group just plays at home so we can do whatever we want.  We also all have contemporary armies that we love collecting and painting and would take to a tournament if we ever made that leap. 

Ultimately, most of us want more and hopefully better stuff to collect, model, paint and play with, rather than more of the same.

Also, the plastic gitmob and wolfrider models are not great and don’t stand up in the new aesthetic. By contrast, Dispossessed elites fit the new aesthetic and I think have enough of a dedicated base to warrant some new models (cogforts) and a tome.

I love the mechanical elements of the grot warmachines and snotling pumpwagons, even chariots, and would love to see something to retain them.  That said, AoS seems to be moving away from the archaic technology, taking dwarves as an example, and artillery in general.  Not optimistic.

Free Cities for Destruction?  Maybe not cities but roving warbands organized into waaaghs and perhaps forts out in the wilds.  Greenskinz and gitmob (or at least the artillery) and snotlings could be folded into a sort of destruction free cities style GHB allegiance update, with some narrative support.  Not optimistic though.  IP issues, etc. others noted. Maybe Gutbusters folded in too or just in parallel but better to just give them a GHB allegiance, if not a bundled ogor tome along gloomspite and LoN lines. 

There is something appealing about simpler rules of the older, non-battletome armies. More accessible for new players or people who were attracted to the simplicity of AoS 1.0 and for whom the newer tomes could feel overwhelming or just more complicated than they prefer. 

It would be awesome if White Dwarf keeps publishing rules for AoS like the Delaque book for Necromunda. 

this is pure speculation but supposedly in the lore, the Grotbag Scuttlers (Grot pirates) field impressive artillery  against the KO. My theory would be that the Grot pirate army release would be GW replacement for the Gitmob and that they would somewhat based on the old Doomdiver model

• Like 2

I'd like to see Gitmob become more technologically advanced and go down the steampunkish route - where they have a design aesthetic that is similar to the 40k grots.

That way, they could be used as bits in 40k, but still have a place in the AoS fiction.

11 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

My problem with a Free Cities book is that it honestly wouldn't be much different from a Grand Alliance: Order 2.0 book. (Even though LoN is more or less the same thing for Death) It would have to combine ALL the Aelf, Human, and Dispossessed units and also include fluff to support them. I honestly can't see this done well without watering down each faction inside. Other Order armies also inhabit the Free Cities, why do they get battletomes while we are relegated to a soup release? 

I think it comes down to the question of if GW are willing to expand upon the more 'standard fantasy' races or not. We know they've had their big push towards more copyrightable concepts, which begs the question of if they'd be willing to try and make something like High Elves or Dwarfs more unique whilst balancing the aesthetic of still being a lot more 'typical' than something like Fyreslayers or Kharadrons. I think they absolutely could do that if they wanted to, but it begs the question of if they'd be willing to try.

I would however be content with a Not!Legions of Nagash book that perhaps encouraged mono-race armies more than the Legion of Blood/Night/Sacrament does. On the other hand, expanding those ranges would give people a sense of security that they're not going to get squat'ed once the molds break and would be more willing to invest in ranges that consist primarily of legacy models.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

To ensure I can expand my Greenskin Orruk warband someday, I think beyond Dispossessed stuff I will be adding a box of Orruk boys to my "next things to buy before GW Squats them" list.  Ironjawz brutes and boyz are well and good, but I think basic boyz still have a place among their armored brethren.  I always loved Orcs after their reboot, even if they are now hairless green gorillas with spinal lordosis.

Good news for my Skaven, though!

"We know they've had their big push towards more copyrightable models,"

Actually I wouldn't say we've seen that in the least. 

Idoneth are not the first undersea army and several others have had huge undersea turtle beasties of various kinds (heck Reaper Bones has a turtle dragon too). Meanwhile look at Daughters of Khaine where most of the new stuff is quite generic. Medusa and succubus/harpy style winged models. Then look at goblins; nothing there is vastly different from designs or concepts GW used in the past, and the trolls have a very 80s inspired design. 

I don't think GW is in the least changing lines to be more protected in terms of visual design. Heck I'm not even sure how that would work since GW can't copyright the concept of a model, only its specific design which has always been protected anyway no matter the design. 

All they've changed is their naming culture to terms that are non-standard in an attempt to protect them; however that's mostly a marketing move so that 3rd parties are a bit more limited on how they can advertise their products, but it won't stop them making alternatives. Nothing would stop any model company making a winged female with a spear or hand scythe and bladed shield. 

I think its simple that GW is revising their lines and armies and some things are being lost and some are being updated. It's just a bigger change right now because they are relaunching whole armies not just revamping existing ones with a few new models. AoS is letting them drop some design paths. Or it might be that they are not dropping them, just removing and replacing with something else (something else which might not come for many months - ergo GW is playing the long game plan not the short term). 

There's nothing in goblins riding on spiders that makes them any more copyright protected than riding on wolves or slugs or snakes or anything else for that matter

• Like 4

I agree, if you’ve  seen the new Mantic dwarf model that is identical to a Kharadron overlord it’s obvious that it’s not copyright issues and more likely getting people to move away from older armies for which they may already have a lot of models.

71210594-DFD4-4725-B66C-04D20B0BD49D.jpeg.9a483624af96a8c24725de02df528356.jpeg

Edited by Luke82
Added a pic

19 hours ago, Aegisgrimm said:

I'm bummed to see the Goblin Warriors and Wolf Riders removed, as they were always a "one day" idea of mine as I really liked the models and thought they aged the best of the older kits.  I'm really happy to see the Shaman renamed, as it means he will stick around so I can grab one so my Skirmish Orruk boss can have a "pet" shaman. 

Yeah, I had also some thing in mind with them, I never made (using the fenrisian wolves for the Riders and the Thunderwolfs with Orc Chariot parts as platforms on there backs as Wolfchariots. The main reason I didn't made this was the 13 year old look of the grotmodels. They really needed new models.

20 hours ago, Barbossal said:

- Shadowblades

- Lion Rangers

14 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

Let's come into my thread and we can chat about what can be done with Lion Rangers (or in my case my Brotherhood of Korhil) or the idea with the Shadow Guilds. (Even if they discontinue the Lion Rangers I will have my 5000+ Points of my fanmade army when I get my order next week 🙂.

15 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

There will always be a demand for "classic" dwarves, and they seem to have a certain small - yet not insignificant - fraction of the player-base that is fiercely loyal.

I think, the Dispossessed would only need new Warriors, Thunderers and Quarrellers that fit with the Ironbreakers, Longbeards, Ironbreakers and Hammerers and they would mostly be fine.

Edited by EMMachine