AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Snip

If running host of the everchosen I think either Slaanesh or Nurgle are possibly better than Khorne, Archaon can point at a unit to give out reroll hits and wounds of 1s, less useful for multiple combats but just as good when fighting one giant blob of hearthguard or mortek etc. At which point the exploding 6s of Slaanesh is a big deal given the quality of attacks in the army (does this also effect mount attacks?), rerolling charges is also nice. I'm not sure the extra damage of Nurgle is quite as good but the -1 to be shot is very strong if shooting is popular.

10 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Do we have a way to let the knights retreat and charge?

If you are feeling brave you could try teleporting them out of combat.

4 minutes ago, Caffran101 said:

If a daemon prince kills a hero/monster - and then you roll 'replace with a daemon prince'.

Presume you just heal it up to full?

DP does not have eye of the gods keyword and is not a mortal, so it does not get to roll on the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salt_merchant said:

swords or axe on prince?

is the extra attack and extra inch worth the loss of a +1 to hit and an extra rend

d3 damage and damage 2 are pretty much a wash

I belive sword will have the better popularity due to the inherited chance on mortals. Althrough axe is quite awesome, too. I on my own have all my models running swords so far, and I am lazy, so no conversions here for me :'D

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

I was thinking about running:

Chaos Lord on Krakadrak (Style) - 250
Chaos Lord on Foot - 110
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Foot - 110

40 Marauders - 300
15 Chaos Warriors - 300
5 Chaos Knights - 180
1 Warshrine - 170
1 Chaos War Mammoth - 320
1 Sphiranx - 100
1 Iron Golems (Screen) - 70
1 Doom Sigil - 40
+ 1 CP - 50
------ 2000 ------

I could switch the Chaos Lord for another sorcerer or a Demon Prince but I like the model.
While Marauders do their thing my focus is on the mammoth (of Khorne I guess) to deal the maximum amount of damage to anything that draws too close to tactical spots on the table. It is supported by "all them suport auras" and it can be made to fight twice with bonuses to hit and wound which is brutal. 
The Chaos Warriors are my main tanks while the shiranx supports whereever needed. The iron Golems are great for holding objectives or to screen.
I guess I'll play the "switching Generals" legion for this army :) (though the Demon Prince one would be nice as well, but I do not own one at the moment and I dislike the models except be'lakor)

Don´t forget that we have a spell that allows your Mamoth to fight in the uppermost bracket. I would use the Sorcerer as dedicated supporter for the Mammoth and maybe concidering to drop the Doom Sigil.  15 Chaoswarriors are what I am also about to test. 10 loose the save reroll quite fast, 20+ are too expensive pointswise. I am also quite curious how well your Marauders will do. The profile seems awesome so far. Also, there is a "Teleport target unit" Spell in the book. Combined with Ravagers having a 8+" charge this could allow you to land quite easy a turn 1 charge with 40 angry marauders, althrough they propably would fight without aura buffs as they would be too far away. This would make a second Sorcerer worth concidering.

On the topic of Legions: You currently only run 3 Heroes, so the benefit of the Ravagers-Legion is quite small. Maybe a Darkoath Chieftain or Warqueen is a fluffy addition to the list. More heroes means more value for Ravagers. Despoilers would on the other side add some heal for your Mamoth. That "D3 units may move" Warlord Trait could make your Mamoth arrive even faster. Also the bigger Aura bubble would benefit the teleporting marauders mentioned above.

I like your list in general. It is a nice mix of units and will for sure allow a lot of interesting interactions on the table.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CJPT said:

Been thinking about this, and while it's a strong combo I think people might be underestimating how difficult it'll be to usefully combine teleport + fight twice. The Chaos Lord's CA is used at the start of the combat phase, and requires the unit be wholly within 12". The Lord will need to run to catch up to the teleported unit, and can only move a max of 11" himself without buffs. This massively limits the area you can teleport to and still benefit from the fight twice CA. Unless I'm missing something, obviously!

You are correct.

You will need to give Lord the Aqshy cloak to do that reliably in 18" deploy and still probably wouldn't be able to do that reliably in 24" deploy.

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

Don´t forget that we have a spell that allows your Mamoth to fight in the uppermost bracket. I would use the Sorcerer as dedicated supporter for the Mammoth and maybe concidering to drop the Doom Sigil.  15 Chaoswarriors are what I am also about to test. 10 loose the save reroll quite fast, 20+ are too expensive pointswise. I am also quite curious how well your Marauders will do. The profile seems awesome so far. Also, there is a "Teleport target unit" Spell in the book. Combined with Ravagers having a 8+" charge this could allow you to land quite easy a turn 1 charge with 40 angry marauders, althrough they propably would fight without aura buffs as they would be too far away. This would make a second Sorcerer worth concidering.

On the topic of Legions: You currently only run 3 Heroes, so the benefit of the Ravagers-Legion is quite small. Maybe a Darkoath Chieftain or Warqueen is a fluffy addition to the list. More heroes means more value for Ravagers. Despoilers would on the other side add some heal for your Mamoth. That "D3 units may move" Warlord Trait could make your Mamoth arrive even faster. Also the bigger Aura bubble would benefit the teleporting marauders mentioned above.

I like your list in general. It is a nice mix of units and will for sure allow a lot of interesting interactions on the table.

Thanks!
I'll keep you updated about how the list performs in about 5 days :)

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 5:30 AM, Duke of Gisoreux said:

Strange that Slambo is not included in the Battletome although he's still available.

But there are four units included that are not yet released:

1. Ogroid Myrmidon
BloodandGlory-Nov02-Agroid8sdfed.jpg

2. Mindstealer Sphiranx

BloodandGlory-Nov02-Spirhinx2wsd.jpg

3. Fomoroid Crusher

WarCryStarter-Sep30-Crusher2jcs.jpg

4. Spire Tyrants

warcry-spire-tyrant-3.jpg

warcry-spyre-tyrant-2.jpg

Wow. This guy could have a lucrative career as an auctioneer.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, dirkdragonslayer said:

Bloodreavers with marauder shields is the best bet I feel. Kairics look too tzeentch-y, unless you are doing a Tzeentch marked army. Bloodreavers are just nicer looking marauders with a passion for skulls. Cut off any khorne pendants, maybe sculpt over some Khorne armor emblems with greenstuff to make neutral-looking armor plates, etc. Spare shields can be found on Ebay, sourced from Skeletons, Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, and Ungors. You could also make your own shields, but that is hard.

Oh well. I have re-based 120 marauders. I'll be damned if I'm not gonna use them now.

You know, fomoroid crushers are pretty damn good for a 100pt model.

Imagine taking 4, then in despoilers you can take artifact than gives them full rerolls against 1 hero/monster. That's 1 sniped lynchpin model.

And in general 4 can clear a chaff screen unit for your other dudes (teleported marauders for example) to charge in.

Oh, they are not even behemoths so you can have more than 4. I wonder if just spamming them will work well.

Edited by Smooth criminal
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 3:19 PM, Maier666 said:

I made the first 20 Marauders from my Beastman Gor whom I gave Marauder Shields from my old Bitsbox. If I'm going to do more I will be taking Bloodreavers with some slight modifications and the Spire Tyrants (probably also Scions of the Flame if possible)

Please can you show some photos?

9 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

So In terms of Archaon and his everchosen buddies..... 

I did some maths on the Varanguard. 
First of all, you're going to want to take 6th circle for sure. The bonus is huge. 
With a mark of khorne and archaon choosing his mark of khorne and being on the table....
These guys get to hit on 2+, with rerolls, wound on 2+, rend -1  and 2 damage on the charge with 6 attacks each. 
So a unit of 3 Varanguard (with 6th circle buff) does 14.58 wounds with rend -1 and damage 2 on the charge. 
That's 19.4 wounds (after 4+ saves) or 29.16 wounds (after 6+ saves) 
That's with only the built in free buffs (and archaon still alive and within 18") but otherwise without any extra spells or command abilities.
So that's pretty decent. You're likely to roll over almost anything that's not super tough AND immune to battleshock.  

Here's the problem though. The army doesn't have any real ways to clear chaff and screens... you don't want to waste your varanguard turn killing 5 spite revenants or hounds or something.   
Secondly Mortek Guard exist. 

The same maths, against a petrifax elite mortek guard unit with their reroll saves ability....  results in 7.3 wounds.  
Your varanguard just hit a brick wall. 
The army also doesn't have any easy ways to get to and/or snipe harvesters. So basically, the whole elite everchosen list completely falls apart against OBR.  

Objective play was always going to be tough with a 10-11 model army. You really need to be able to kill stuff. And well.... you just can't kill those mortek guard well enough. I'm not sure anything can save some lucky high mortal wound spells, but that's not overly relevant.  

At least if you're fielding your own chaff and horde units, you can try to contest objectives. Everchosen can't do that. 

I'm not sure if you'd want to take Arhcaon with 2 units or 3 units or 4 units. 
4 units get's you literally nothing else. 
3 units means you can fit in some cultist chaff and/or another hero. 
2 units gives you 600pts to play with and is probably going to be the most flexible option. 

I feel like you're going to want at the manticore sorcerer or the gaunt summoner for a bit of magic punch and a decent hoard clearing spell. Something to deal with those mortek guard. That leaves you with 340 left. 

Keep in mind I'm not sure how battleline works in everchosen..... i assume you can take archaon and 4 units of varanguard, but I can't seem to find the text that makes varanguard battleline. Maybe the review I watched just didn't mention it. 
So you might still need to fit in some more battleline I guess you'd want a big marauder or chaos warrior unit.  Perhaps 2 x 20 marauders or 1 x 15 warriors. 
Then maybe a warcry warband for a screen/chaff? Can't quite fit a sphiranx in. Maybe you take 10 warriors and the sphiranx?

So perhaps something like this? 
Archaon,
2x varanguard,
sorcerer on manticore or gaunt summoner,
sphiranx,
20 marauders,
warcry warband
= 1980pts 

Thanks for this.   

Don't forget the once-per-game second attack the Varanguard get. I think (with some luck obviously) you can can get through beefy screens by attacking twice.  (might be a case for Fell Spears and their 2" range in this case). All-seeing Dominion will let you time your attack perfectly.  I think a huge key is going 2nd on turn 1. So that means taking the battalion for a two-drop army. Maybe something like: Archaon, 3x Varanguard, Summoner on Disk, Battalion (not sure on points). Maybe go 6th circle and the "fly" circle.  Pretty good chance you get a double turn either between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd.  When you do, I think the alpha-strike will maul pretty much any army.

(I'm still not clear on the wording of the battalion in question - whether it grants all your Varanguard a second circle, or whether you can just run multiple circles for multiple varanguard)    

9 hours ago, Syrex said:

I'd actually been looking at different heads recently (As I initially purchased GW Marauders).

https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-49/fantasy/bits/heads/norsemen-heads.html
https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-49/fantasy/bits/heads/cossack-heads.html

Both of these could work (Probably moreso the norsemen), just wish there was more than 5.
[edit] Might be a bit big (32mm scale), and the real thing obviously won't look as good as the renders

Yeah, I considered those, I likely will mostly use heads from Marauder Horsemen. I want some helmets with horns that look distinctly chaos rather than just generic barbarian heads. (assuming scale doesn't look silly)

3 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Thanks for this.   

Don't forget the once-per-game second attack the Varanguard get. I think (with some luck obviously) you can can get through beefy screens by attacking twice.  (might be a case for Fell Spears and their 2" range in this case). All-seeing Dominion will let you time your attack perfectly.  I think a huge key is going 2nd on turn 1. So that means taking the battalion for a two-drop army. Maybe something like: Archaon, 3x Varanguard, Summoner on Disk, Battalion (not sure on points). Maybe go 6th circle and the "fly" circle.  Pretty good chance you get a double turn either between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd.  When you do, I think the alpha-strike will maul pretty much any army.

(I'm still not clear on the wording of the battalion in question - whether it grants all your Varanguard a second circle, or whether you can just run multiple circles for multiple varanguard)    

Battalion is 120 i think. Regardless, the gaunt summoner is 260 so the list you posted only has 40 pts to spare. 

If you take the battalion with the minimum 3 units, you have 180 spare... So 5 knights or some chaff or a hero on foot. 

I'd say the battalion must give an extra circle keyword (and it can be a different one on each unit). Otherwise I can't see how it's worth the points. 

Also never take the lances. I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me but they're heaps worse than ensorcereld weapons. 

4 hours ago, peasant said:

Please can you show some photos?

There are some Highlights I still want to make and I'm not that good of a painter but you should see the idea. 

😅Ps I m also not good at taking pictures.

They fit pretty well on the 25mm bases.

7577D7D8-FB6D-4E59-9D3D-100F0D3812F9.jpeg

Edited by Maier666
  • LOVE IT! 1

Question on the Warshrine:

The Warshrine doesn’t state anymore that you grant the buff of the god you chose...so, if I give the Warshrine let’s say Nurgle, I can still do the Slaanesh buff to a unit??

i just can’t grant the secondary buff unless the targeted model has the corresponding keyword?!? 

The Warshrines personal mark only matters now for Aura abilities, correct?? (Or if it buff itself)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Midjithero said:

Question on the Warshrine:

The Warshrine doesn’t state anymore that you grant the buff of the god you chose...so, if I give the Warshrine let’s say Nurgle, I can still do the Slaanesh buff to a unit??

i just can’t grant the secondary buff unless the targeted model has the corresponding keyword?!? 

The Warshrines personal mark only matters now for Aura abilities, correct?? (Or if it buff itself)

Currently this is correct. Also the 6++ currently stacks, because the rule is "within range of this model" instead of "within range of any models with this ability". So 4 warshrines would grant 4 6++ saves.

Also Khorne Washrines can use the Judgement endless spell things from the Khorne book. - answered that question wrong earlier in the thread thinking they were asking about the Khorne blood blessings, which require khorne allegiance.

Edited by Asamu

59 minutes ago, Asamu said:

Currently this is correct. Also the 6++ currently stacks, because the rule is "within range of this model" instead of "within range of any models with this ability". So 4 warshrines would grant 4 6++ saves.

Also Khorne Washrines can use the Judgement endless spell things from the Khorne book. - answered that question wrong earlier in the thread thinking they were asking about the Khorne blood blessings, which require khorne allegiance.

Are you saying a Khorne Warshrine in a Slaves to Darkness army can use Hexgorger Skulls? Because I was told that they can only be used in a Khorne army. However, if in fact the Hexgorger's could be used in Slaves to Darkness, that would be pretty amazing.

26 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Are you saying a Khorne Warshrine in a Slaves to Darkness army can use Hexgorger Skulls? Because I was told that they can only be used in a Khorne army. However, if in fact the Hexgorger's could be used in Slaves to Darkness, that would be pretty amazing.

That‘d be insanely good and should work due to the Khorne Keyword.

2 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I think they might be allegiance locked. I'm not a Khorne player so I cannot confirm, maybe someone else can?

I confirm you that this is Khorne allegeance locked, sorry.

Does anyone have an advice on Archaon and how to play him? i am fascinated by the command ability of his sub allegeance that determine the turn order.

Kinda bummer about Judgments being allegiance locked i got super excited for a second. But i think the Khorne and Slaves crossover appears very powerful.

Khorne has a lot of awesome buffs that extend to any unit with Mortal Khorne keyword like Secrator +1 attack and Stokers +3 run/charge +1 to wound. Those two guys right there could bolster threat range and punching power alone.

Now if you where to run your Slaves army as Khorne... just give everyone mark of Khorne (afaik still legal) and take Khorne allegiance you get some nasty combos with the Slaughter Priest prayers/judgments but also the possibility to charge then retreat making Varangaurd pretty scarey back line hero killers.

Im sure this is tip of iceberg stuff but from what i see this update actually just gave Khorne allegiance a boost. Im gonna crack open Slaanesh book next and peruse over possible combos.

36 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Does anyone have an advice on Archaon and how to play him? i am fascinated by the command ability of his sub allegeance that determine the turn order.

How to play him is a little vague of a question :) :) :) I like to play him in My path to glory army, Archaon vs EVERYONE!!! Mwuhahaha :)

but more seriously...he is now both a huge force multiplier and a beast himself.  

Himself - the change to his top speed movement (14”), 3 heads are now automatically in Hero phase (free endless spell removal), Eye is just flat 6, gains an extra CP each turn he’s alive, you get to use your command ability for free, has a brand new spell lore (teleports himself hahahahaha), -2 rend on 2 of his attack profiles, knows turn order in HoE, he’s a HEDONITE and can benefit from both their demon and mortal spell lores and Hedonite abilities (depravity points), works in all the other god armies too...

army - his mark aura radius is HUGE (something like 40”), gives RR1s on hit/wound in HoE, +2/-2 bravery to units, gives units basically Death Frenzy, there’s more that I can’t remember too :)

he is 800 points...yes, that’s 40% of a 2k list...there will be some games where he’s gonna die first turn and you’re like “WTF?!?!  Game over! Sad panda!” But that’s RNG, and the game we play...but there will be other games where you charge 2 heroes and Slayer of Kings both of them in the same turn, and all the other crazy things he can do...he’s going to be great (or I’m just hyping myself up haha) his warscroll is much more symbolic of his lore now