Your First Miniature?

Gitzdee

Something someone said in the rumour chat made me think about this.

What was the first miniature i bought and what was the thing that got released soon after?

I cant remember that clearly what models got released since i cant find a model release timeline. I know i started somewhere around 7th edition whfb. 

The first whfb unit i bought was the basic Goblin kit. This was an amazing kit with loads of weapons, shields, full command, spare legs to put them on a mount. I would love those multipart boxes back.

image.png.0aef7625fc43cae60ba3ffeb6f074b08.png

After that i started on the Spiderfang models that got released after that like the Arachnarok. Makes me remember about how old these models are.

Edit: my first 40k buy was this one. Good value if i remember correctly. The Knight was basicly for free.

image.png.cf1578fc6358ada4d21d1bbc0e22d0cd.png

Whats yours? 

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

My first mini ever was a Hammerhead tank I had bought for 20€ from the little brother of the middle school friend that brought me over to the hobby. It was in 2014, 40k was in its 7th edition, WFB in its 8th and End Times was right around the corner. 

First real buy from GW was a resin Ethereal and the "Tau battalion box", it had 3 Crisis, 3 Stealths, 12 fire warriors and a Piranha, I remember. Most of my Taus have been long sold or traded for bits now, but I still remember them. 

For Fantasy, it was the Empire battalion with a general and an engineer. I bought it in 2015 for "9th edition Fantasy that was gonna simplify the rules". The rest is history...

• Like 1

Space Marine Attack bike. Always been a fan of chonky brutalist design. More bikes, a dreadnought quickly followed along with some tac marines.

About the same time I also go Kurnous and Ariel + Waywatchers (which probably are my favourite unit in all of WHFB aesthetically).

This was some time during early 2000s.

• Like 1

Not counting HeroQuest etc. for this as those games started it all - I got 7 minis all at once at first! 5 mono-pose Chaos Warriors in plastic, a champion of Chaos with an axe and a fur mohawk and Aekold Helbrass (he‘s technically my first as I think he was the first mini I picked from the stand). Also got a bunch of colors with these. Not a shabby start IMO, I still love that model. I just wish I kept the others too… dunno where they went, probably the realm of Chaos. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

• Like 1

As a kid in the 1980s and a big fan of D&D, I started buying and painting one off minis. Believe Ral Partha was my favorite brand. 

I didn’t encounter GW until college, around the year 2000. Think my first GW purchase was a metal stone troll. Another early purchase was definitely a box of metal black orcs.

• Like 1

My first buys were the 6th Ed Chaos Warriors and Marauders sets. I tried to emulate Paul Sawyers Chaos army he was building for White Dwarf at the time. Funny to think Chaos Warriors have been updated twice since then but the same old Marauders are still out there…

• Like 1

Probably the Dreamer box (2004 maybe?). I was in the university at it was my first time looking for a tabeltop game. So, I didn't know a lot about wargaming stuff and I thought that a child with some nightmare-ish monsters were a cool mix for a tabletop game.

img4f6facdeb22e6.jpg

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

The first models I ever had were before I even knew what Warhammer was, my Nan had found a dark elf sorceress and one of the old Cold Ones (pictured below) somewhere and gave them to me. After that, I got a few issues of the Lord of the Rings game magazine they did, I still didn’t know about Warhammer or anything I just loved LotR.

And then some time in 2005, I went to a model railway show with my grandad who does a lot of that, and in the back corner of the cafe there some guy had a little table set up with daemonhunters and dark eldar, and I basically spent the whole time sat at this little table looking at the codexes and stuff. My grandad got me my first models that I actually knew what they were for for Christmas that year, a box of Dark Elf warriors and a box of Saurus warriors. That was 2005 and the Saurus have only just been updated!

IMG_8078.jpeg

IMG_8079.jpeg

• Like 2

A box of plastic Empire Knights, 10 for about £15, for 6th edition fantasy. 

The orc v empire starter set soon followed.

I can’t really remember what was released after that, the plastic beastmen set was exciting (with the mixed unit of goes and ungors), and the revamped pre-aos chaos warriors.

It was either thisimages(20).jpeg.53df0b6afd445cea82d0fcf53ffd4a8f.jpeg

Or this

download(1).jpeg.6520e66c7e445ae208348ff7f85abe0a.jpeg

It turns out 1989 was a pretty good year for Warhammer. 

For a good long time, I was only really into epic. 

My first fantasy minis were some of these guys. images(21).jpeg.5d8b8d70beae3635ee8875510dc3473c.jpeg

I distinctly remember trying that blue colour scheme and not being very good at it. 

My first mini for 40k proper was this version of Marneus Calgar. download(2).jpeg.1532901c4d64d63e729dfc9c30bede5a.jpeg

That said my proudest old Warhammer possession is a white dwarf from 1985 that my dad bought for me. 

• Like 2

The first models I got were Termagants, specifically a box of 10 plastic mono pose ones that were briefly available in 2nd ed before GW realised the £5 smaller boxes were the better price point to snag people's pocket money with plastic mono pose models. I was 10 and the local GW staff built and primed them for me to help me get right into trying to paint them (my pocket money could afford me 4 paints and one bad brush so they looked terrible).

Warhammer fantasy wise it was the plastic Saurus warriors that released with 5th ed and for AoS it was the Underworld's Shadespire starter.

• Subscriber

Outside of Heroquest and Space Crusade, for Warhammer, it will have been some of the monopose plastics. Either Wood Elves or Beastman, I can't remember clearly which came first.

Ye Olde Inn • View topic - Warning about buying recasts!

CHAOS BEASTMEN WARHAMMER GAMES WOR.. | Köp från arkadnu på Tradera  (569256985)

My first "large" miniature was the Marauder Treeman:

old treeman | Wood elf, Warhammer art, Fantasy art

Edited by SunStorm
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

It was this guy:

20230728_1021412.jpg.c633ae1d727ffda263ce24c524485d93.jpg

Well, to be exact, it was this guy and his friends plus Eltharion on Stormwing. I am not 100% sure when that was, because this guy is a metal High Elf spearman, and those got retired in 1995 or so, but I would have been too young at that point. I believe I got him in 1998/1999 because I know the Bretonnians vs. Lizardmen starter box was already out at the time and Chaos Dwarves were either already retired or just about to be.

I only painted the model about 20 years later, by the way. See Mom, I told you I'd get around to it eventually!

• Like 1

These little dudes were mine, I was about 7 and painted every one a different colour, they were a mess! The seraphon update is a dream come true for me, now just need to have enough disposable income to actually buy some...

shopping.jpeg

• Like 2