The Rumour Thread

It could also be the fact that since Spanish versions offer less fluff and are often plagued with errors people just don't bother with them and instead buy the English ones. That could explain less sales of translated tomes.

If they are going to release cut tomes they might as well not release them. It's honestly insulting to receive the battletome in your native language only to find you bought an incomplete and error-filled product. Plus, it leads to endless discussions about rules since often even warscroll cards will be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm Spanish and I have to say that all GW games come with a very bad translation.  In fact sometimes in some specific non simple rules we have to check in English to use them correctly. This is a thing that our community says a lot and has been a lot of arguments of some people against the company.

Said that I love GW games and I'm with the hobby since I was 14 on 90s decade but it's true that for some people can be a big thing if they don't translate correctly the rules. And is not only for some difficult rules where's the problem because EVERY name and attribute is not translated. And I really don't care cause I read, play, watch videos and series in English and I can more or less understand what YouTube's and texts say, so as a lot of people but there's a lot of people that maybe for that is a bit lazy.

And there is another problem. A lot of people consider a really bad practice for GW not to translate correctly their things. Is true that English is the most used language but seriously Spanish is I think second or third language on earth (I think second), and it is a bit if offense not to translate correctly things. 

Just to make a similar thing our rules are like: 

When el Caballero enmascarado uses his espada de la luz add +1 to tirada para impactar if theres any other friendly caballero on 9"

If arqueros del monte has 10 or more minis add +1 a la tirada para herir of his arcos curvos

When orcos aplastacabezas wear escudos add +1 to the salvacion roll.

Seriously, it makes me laugh but is a fkn bad work and it's normal a lot of people go to play other things. Specially the people that love to read lore and make narrative plays. 

Edited by Hoseman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

When el Caballero enmascarado uses his espada de la luz add +1 to tirada para impactar if theres any other friendly caballero on 9"

If arqueros del monte has 10 or more minis add +1 a la tirada para herir of his arcos curvos

When orcos aplastacabezas wear escudos add +1 to the salvacion roll.

Is... is it seriously written like that? As some sort of mongrel Spanglish?

• Confused 1

At least google translate would get all the words (mostly) in spanish even if it would garble the meaning. If its seriously like that I'm honestly surprised of GW - REALLY surprised. Cause that looks like shoddy translation that even an amateur can spot is shoddily done. It's like parts of it are translated and then parts were changed and put back in without translation (almost as if they wrote the rules and translated alongside aso as things changed it got messy?)

29 minutes ago, smucreo said:

It could also be the fact that since Spanish versions offer less fluff and are often plagued with errors people just don't bother with them and instead buy the English ones. That could explain less sales of translated tomes.

Exactly!  Sales don't go well = stop translating. Stop translating = people stop buying. I have the slight impression that is how you assure losing your presence on a market. TBH, I'd be glad if they stop translating altogether, there is no point in buying mediocre products but it is a shame for those who don't have a decent English level.

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

Come on guys, think wider: GW is a hobby company.  2 words: Hobby and Company.

As in hobby,  it is locked to culture and....weather. The hobby is succesfull where you have (forced) time at home, essentially due to the weather conditions.

As in Company, think about the market place: according to the above AND the fact that there are way less money per family and way less players, will they sell many battletome?  is it interesting to invest in a FULL tome translation? Where to cut the tome cost? Answer: make more margin, sell less paper, cut the cost i.e. cut the translation part.  Italian+spain GDP is less that French one or UK one and far less German one.

Done.

I honestly doubt about this.  Mainly coz GW never took into account purchase power to determine their prices (same all over) or adjusted locally a product.  Moreover, the difference per unit is 5€ (!), so I don't think local disposable income is an obstacle here (especially for this type of hobby). And SP/IT GDP has always been lower than the other two but it didn't prevent GW from offering full quality translated books in the past, this should maybe ring a bell....

Sure, they are looking to cut costs (less printing, not hiring translators) but I can't see  why it would be due to "culture and weather" or money. My impression as a local that walked around different communities in a fair amount of cities is that it's pure lack of interest in the product (the Game, not the miniatures), so demand vs offer in a saturated market, which obviously drop sales. Offering garbage translations will clairly not revert the situation either, but hey, that's up to them.

Love that grot hero. I've gone from- will probably buy one set for the squig and troll, to will buy 3-4 sets minimum! He will make for a great base for all sorts of heroes for my skirmish stuff!

Would prefer to not buy into shadespire stuff, I'm not really keen on it as a game- the components are a waste for me and it adds sales to shadespire that I would rather see go towards AoS directly. The scenery is nice and surprisingly would suit my current AoS table, so I could almost be tempted to get a set as I need a bit more scatter for skirmish for our undead games.

Given how the current options for greatweapon Tzaangor very quickly start looking the same, that Tzaangor is very welcome. Hopefully the rest of the warband will give some interesting bits, as they seem to be getting bolder with the warbands overall (outside the Stormcast).

The tokens look like a must have for basing and terrain purposes, even for non-Underworlds players like me.

I really like the grot as well. Some elements new to Moonclan there.

• Like 1

The gobbo looks cool. Also a totally different aesthetic than what I would have expected. Looks more like some kind of Ironjawz Gobbo.

But I really hope that all the Grot rumours don't turn out to be just a small grot warband instead of a full new Grot army.

I would still be happy about the new miniatures. But I think it would be very disappointing if Destruction only gets a new Warband after the long wait. 

But the helmet looks a lot like a Grot face. Maybe we get something similar to the Kharadron Overlords. But instead of Dwarfs in armor looking like metal dwarfs, we get Grots in armor looking like metal grots.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

That grot ? 

I like his iron brander and he appears to have hot coals on top of his helmet. Maybe grots will lean (more) into a monster/creature herder theme? 

Good spot! I think he is roasting his shroom for some added effect. ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

I would not be surprised if there is a brand on the troll somewhere unpleasant.

Is there a pleasant place to have a brand?! ?

46 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Ooh, that Tzaangor looks really cool. May be tempted to get them if the rest of the unit is good. Would like to see Tzaangors in a different colour scheme.

It would fill out my group of six from Silver Tower...

Edited by Sharkbelly
  • Haha 1