The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Very minor thing, but I LOVE the new art on the Lumineth book. Great colors, and I love the old school bismuth-looking Hysh crystals.

Yes sooo good!! Makes me kind of pissed that they didn’t update the art on the other books that have come out this year…..maybe I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and blame it on switching the publishing from over seas to their backyard 

Really digging the new proportions. What base size, 40mm? To have the whole line updated to this would definitely have me making room on the hobby table!

Anyone think that could be a newly designed rat-ogor pelt? And the reptile head looks an awful lot like suarus calvary to me. 

Untitled1515155352536.png

Edited by Vasshpit

Very mixed feelings about this preview.

The leagues of Votann look great. It feels like gw have taken their new AoS army energy and put it into 40k for once. With nothing truly exciting on the horizon for AoS except Cities, I'm very tempted to give this army a go. 

Slaves to Darkness have the opposite problem. Much like the Eldar for 40k, the updated models look very nice but feel safe. As the big new thing for the year it's a little disappointing. 

The Khorne Bezerkers fall into the same category. Nice sculpts but a very safe reimagining.

I'm not an Ogor fan but the new model is growing on me. It's hideously ugly but that's kind of the point. 

King Brodd is a disappointment to be honest. I love the creepers but 3 is not nearly enough. There should have been at least one on his hammer, and a couple on the base carrying something. I also don't like the pose. The art with him resting the hammer across his back is much better. I expect the fingers to be molded  into the hammer so doing a repose would be pretty difficult. 

The Khorne warband is solid. I like that they are trying new things with the Khorne aesthetic in AoS. 

Horus is a very nice sculpt slightly ruined by the boring and expensive pile of skeletons he is standing on. If you're going to do a big scenic base do something like Teclis's one not something I could easily make from my bits box. It also felt like this would be the perfect time to do a plastic primarch but sadly it's not to be. 

No season of war book was a bit of a surprise. I guess they want to save it for whatever their next preview show will be. 

No cities was not entirely unexpected but still disappointing. It has been almost 4 months since they said "We're not going to wait" to show us more. 

The positive side of all this is the battletomes. Aside from the non Ironjawz warclans I don't think there's a book that been straight up bad this edition and the meta is as open as it has ever been. I hope the trend continues with a bit of a glow up for the Ogors and a more interesting but not more powerful version of the Sons book. 

• Like 2

Hi GW, heard about these Gitz? They didn't get a 3.0 tome celestial, been stuck in the bottom of the meta since their last battletome and your little fixes in the last GHB didn't really help much. Perhaps you should do something about that?

On the other side I will not need to spend any money on AOS until later next year with these releases.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, Boingrot Bouncer said:

Hi GW, heard about these Gitz? They didn't get a 3.0 tome celestial, been stuck in the bottom of the meta since their last battletome and your little fixes in the last GHB didn't really help much. Perhaps you should do something about that?

On the other side I will not need to spend any money on AOS until later next year with these releases.

I feel that 

GW: And here at last, it's an Ogre Hunter!
Ogre players: But we've already had an Ogre Hunter.
GW: You've had one Ogre Hunter, yes. But what about second Ogre Hunter?

I do like him though. Pour one out for Gitz. Guess they're going back in the closet for another year.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I feel that 

I had shelfed them for a while and played Soulblight instead since it didn't feel like you played in the same league as other armies that my friends use (and sure they can do less competitive lists but not even that helps sometimes). But with the hopes of a new tome I did start to try out different troll list with and without out Kragnos. Now however it is back in the box for a while...

But happy for my other destruction allies, let's hope.their tomes are good!

Edited by Boingrot Bouncer
To much bad mood

King Brodd's model is really solid. Seems he had the same legs as the rest of Gargants. Will they replace the current box with a new one with additional parts for Brodd?

Slaves to Darkness although had a leak a few months back I still think have won the show.

Underworlds team is ok but I think Khorne has already had enough.

I still dislike Votan and think they're the worst dwarfs from GW.

I wonder what they are going to do with dual box or if there even will be one. 3 man-eaters and a few ogors? Sounds poor. I think nobody is expecting a mega-gargant in the box. Or maybe there isn't going to be a dual box this time?

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Removed offensive comment
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Brodd is cool, hopefully the upgrade kit can also build something else though. A proper shaman gargant would be awesome.

I know we've seen them before, but the ogroids look great, the chosen look great but are a bit busy at spots, and the new daemon prince just has too much going on all over. Its hard to even tell what some of the parts are from the images. Also the tzeentch head is pretty hideous.

I really hate the new hunter model. The head is pretty awful, the antlers might've been a nice touch but the ropes are ridiculous. The midsection is way too busy. Gutplate, arrows, crossbow, spears, two different animal pelts, and extra doodads on top. All the extra details on this model orbit his midsection. This guy is on a 50mm base tops, but it looks like a 40mm one, its a lot. Also the proportions feel off. Based on the gutplate we get a feel for where his gut (and torso) should end, which make this guy's legs seem way too long. That section is obscured through the ring of stuff, but his legs make up nearly 2/3rds of his height and they aren't straight. The last nitpick is the complete lack of footwear. Hes a BCR unit, bcr are continually followed by an icy blizzard, and this guy is walking around barefoot.

Also weird that its the hunter getting a new model. The current one is decent, while the butcher/slaughtermaster are really questionable and in need of an update. Plus you can kitbash a hunter out of the stonehorn kit pretty easily with the extra bits and ogor body.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

King Brodd's model is really solid. Seems he had the same legs as the rest of Gargants. Will they replace the current box with a new one with additional parts for Brodd?

Slaves to Darkness although had a leak a few months back I still think have won the show.

Underworlds team is ok but I think Khorne has already had enough.

I still dislike Votan and think they're the worst dwarfs from GW.

Votan are way too boring.

Gw played it way too safe and as a result nothing in the faction is wierd and/or eye catching. The whole faction is just "fine" or average.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I can't wait for @KingBrodd to see all these notifications hahaha. So happy for you mate hope you like the big fella.

I bloody love waking up to a load of amazing reveals, these were great. Think the Hunter is lacking something though.

Interestingly, King Brodd hasn't solved the RE of the little gremlin in the beard/braided hair?

Edited by Black_Templar_Lad
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I am happy for all that got some models, some of them look really awesome.

I am actually getting some hope that Gitz will be getting a redesign of the Spiderfang with a Sylvaneth/Nighthaunt sized update. 

But i cant shake the bad taste this edition is giving me so far. As a player of Bonesplitterz/Ironjawz/Gitz i have had high hopes for a while now and it seems like i have to wait untill next year for something good. Kruleboyz didnt do it for me as it is a separate army within the book and i am not a fan of the smaller/cunning Orruk design (i think gitz have the cunning part covered). 

At least Nighthaunt is the gift that keeps on giving.

2 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I am happy for all that got some models, some of them look really awesome.

I am actually getting some hope that Gitz will be getting a redesign of the Spiderfang with a Sylvaneth/Nighthaunt sized update. 

But i cant shake the bad taste this edition is giving me so far. As a player of Bonesplitterz/Ironjawz/Gitz i have had high hopes for a while now and it seems like i have to wait untill next year for something good. Kruleboyz didnt do it for me as it is a separate army within the book and i am not a fan of the smaller/cunning Orruk design (i think gitz have the cunning part covered). 

At least Nighthaunt is the gift that keeps on giving.

I would have originally disagreed, thinking their range was good enough from GW's perspective. But now I'd say you're most likely right to hope for that. They've shown with LrL, Nighthaunt, Stormcast, ect that they are quiet happy to pump in more releases for armies that have a large footprint in the community and have proven to be a defining aesthetic. And I would argue that gitz have become that for destruction, absolutely more then SoB and Mawtribes.

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Slaves to Darkness have the opposite problem. Much like the Eldar for 40k, the updated models look very nice but feel safe. As the big new thing for the year it's a little disappointing. 

Why do they need an insane re-imagining that throws everything out and starts again?

When people want updated sculpts, its because they like the core designs and just want the actual models to be brought properly into the 21st century.

Eldar and Chaos especially have such strong visual designs and aesthetics that have been honed over 30 years that like, what would you even do to "improve" them? That's the sort of thinking that gets grinning muscle skeletons and Alarith Stoneguard. Yeah I guess they have their fans and they're certainly unique, but they aren't going to be entering the pantheon like all the OG Jes Goodwin stuff.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I cant believe they made a model of a TGA poster ;)

I am actually kind of excited for the slaves boxset, I didnt think I would be but its basically a box of the models I planned to purchase anyway. Will have to wait and see whether its actual value or not though (and if I have any money left when its due out)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

@KingBrodd Looks like I was quite right when a few months back I hastily translated a line by @Whitefang into a King Brodd model comfirmation. Really happy for you, and I sincerely hope you're satisfied with what GW came up with for that character. Your positivity is such a vital part of these forums. :)

The Votann Grymnir is just 100% AOS design style. All in all I'll stay away from Votann for the time being. I do like a lot of the models quite a lot, but am not a fan of the vehicles' moon buggy look. 

Khorne Berserkers are just a cool unit, albeit a little on the safe and unimaginative side, as usual for Khorne. Still looking forward to seeing more of World Eaters. Not my favourite legion but my favourite legion name. 

The new Lumineth tome will get a different cover. Looks like GW listened when people complained about recycling tome covers. Though I don't really like the new one.

Chosen look good. Should appeal to everyone who ever fell in love with WHFB Chaos and is generally a fan of 90s metal album cover aesthetics.

• LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

Why do they need an insane re-imagining that throws everything out and starts again?

When people want updated sculpts, its because they like the core designs and just want the actual models to be brought properly into the 21st century.

Eldar and Chaos especially have such strong visual designs and aesthetics that have been honed over 30 years that like, what would you even do to "improve" them? That's the sort of thinking that gets grinning muscle skeletons and Alarith Stoneguard. Yeah I guess they have their fans and they're certainly unique, but they aren't going to be entering the pantheon like all the OG Jes Goodwin stuff.

There's nothing wrong with wanting refined versions of existing kits it's just not for me. I want to be flabbergasted by the creativity of the studio. The spirit of the mountain, the KO, the gobbapalooza and Katakros did that for me. It's a big part of the reason why I like AoS more than 40k these days. I love the Ogroids but I merely like the new chosen. That said I completely understand why someone would want the perfect version of an existing thing, it's just not how my mind works. 

• Like 3

I almost stayed up but had to call it a night. Adam has loads of energy and is good at presenting but being tired and still full of food, I don’t think I could have made it through a round of “Where you are watching from?” 🤣

Currently on a train catching up on reveals and I’ll watch the stream later tonight but I think it was quite a good one. Personally I would have liked to have seen a new faction but all the models are cool. Nice to see some AOS love. It’s a 50/50 split for me between Horus and King Brodd for model of the year! 

Big thing I like is the road maps. Great way for people to know what’s coming up and plan to what they want to do. 

Im also torn between the Slaves to Darkness set and the Leagues set. Both have models I like and look like good painting projects.

4 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

I cant believe they made a model of a TGA poster ;)

They do read the forums 😁🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Boingrot Bouncer said:

I had shelfed them for a while and played Soulblight instead since it didn't feel like you played in the same league as other armies that my friends use (and sure they can do less competitive lists but not even that helps sometimes). But with the hopes of a new tome I did start to try out different troll list with and without out Kragnos. Now however it is back in the box for a while...

But happy for my other destruction allies, let's hope.their tomes are good!

I feel the same as every gitz’s players… my 4000pts arthurian gitz army will remain half paint in boxes a bit longer.

But as a gobbo lover, I’ve find a way to play them good in AOS : Squigdoneth Gitzkin !! A fully gitz converted IDK army  😁

And it feels so good to play order’s armies with a lightly touch of green ! Next project : orrukast eternals ! (And maybe a grotbag scuttlers KO army if there no hope to see a proper Grotbag Scuttlers army in the futur)

I'm very happy @KingBrodd got the miniature he wanted. Being Sons of Behemat-curious, I was ready for this reveal to pull me in. However, I feel like GW weren't "generous" enough. Not only are the legs the exact same as every other mega, the lower part of the chest seems identical to the Warstomper: Khorn Shield, wanderers shield, stormcast shield, seraphon carapace. Despite what they said on stream, he seems pretty much the same height as the other megas. If I saw him on the table, I would not think that he is the leader of the sons of the Sons of Behemat. I would just think he is another "normal" variant. If this was another kit with a unique set of legs shared by three different builds with different poses (King Brodd, Matriarch, something brand new?), I would buy a box of megas to paint up immediately after work today. 

The ogre model was ok. My favourite mini of the entire preview might be the center figure in the new Khorne warband for Warhammer Underworlds. He looks amazing and I hope GW continue to experiment in regards to Khorne worshippers from different backgrounds and cultures. We've seen all the Slaves to Darkness minis before and they still look great. I was pleasantly surprised that both the Disciples of Tzeentch and Lumineth Realm Lords battletomes had new cover art.  

A bit depressing that we didn't get a small tease for something new in the future or even an update for Cities of Sigmar / Dawnbringer Crusades. This reinforces my belief that the road to 40k 10th edition is gonna be full steam Grim Darkness of Far Future with a couple of hero minis for AoS (a couple more dual boxes, maybe Gitz vs Flesh-Eater Courts, etc). 

BTW, when were the expansions to Cursed City supposed to come out?

Edited by Vicar in a tutu
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, Vicar in a tutu said:

A bit depressing that we didn't get a small tease for something new in the future or even an update for Cities of Sigmar / Dawnbringer Crusades. This reinforces my belief that the road to 40k 10th edition is gonna be full steam Grim Darkness of Far Future with a couple of hero minis for AoS (a couple more dual boxes, maybe Gitz vs Flesh-Eater Courts, etc). 

I think the Cities/Crusades are a next year job. I would guess it’s tied into Warcry based on the narrative for the current version. Yeah I think 40K 10th Ed is dropping next year and they will go full steam. 

Pretty happy with this preview. In terms of AoS stuff, the Khorne Warband is super cool (Gorehulk?!) and I never had that headdress rumour engine down as something for Khorne.

The new Chosen are phenomenal, really excellent sculpts. Unfortunately the Ogroid things put me off the box, they have not grown on me in the slightest. 

I actually really like the Ogor, even the head. It looks a bit goofy but in a creepy way. Reminds me of some ‘hillbilly’ slasher films like Wrong Turn or something. The drake head quiver is awesome, hope that turns out to be a new Seraphon model or something. 

Brodd is pretty good. The new details are great, I’m just not a huge fan personally of the underlying model and it’s a bit of a shame people who have multiples will have the same pose repeated, although the specific bits do change the silhouettes a fair bit. 

• Like 2