The Rumour Thread

13 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

That really stands out to me, too. I find the Underworlds card art really weak in comparison with Magic: The Gathering card art, for example. Mosty it's just depictions of the models exactly as they look in a backgroundless void. I also think the sketchy art style of AoS coupled with the insistence on depicting the models with little artistic freedom super unimpactful. It does not make me excited about the art at all, which is a shame. Because older Warhammer art definitely did manage to get me excited.

There is this psychological trap that is really easy to fall into, where the rules of your faction change, a lot of the things you previously identified as exciting or strong don't quite work anymore, and you conclude that the new book must be bad because you can't yet identify the new, excting things the army can do. I fell into that trap myself with the Soulblight book, which is actually a really great book in hindsight. Much better Legions of Nagash by any measure. We have also recently seen the same happen with Stormcast, where a lot of people were sure the book had not competitive play when it was released, and look at it now.

I think it's a fairly natural reaction, but we should try to resist it. At least until we have the book in our hands.

I agree. The only Underworlds cards I've seen are Blackpowders and boy does that art not look great. In almost every image if you told me Blackpowder was a Duardin instead of an Ogor I would believe you.

7 hours ago, Ledgington said:

There’s a Van Denst short story on the BL as part of their annual celebration. It’s pretty good, makes Doralia look like a badass and gives a little flavor as to how the Order of Azry operate. Perhaps more interestingly, it ends with a short extract from ‘Hallowed Ground’. I’m definitely excited to get my hands on that novel now

F2870E92-C3ED-49A9-BDDA-55441E698431.jpeg

Thanks for heads up mate will definitely be checking this out!!

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There is this psychological trap that is really easy to fall into, where the rules of your faction change, a lot of the things you previously identified as exciting or strong don't quite work anymore, and you conclude that the new book must be bad because you can't yet identify the new, excting things the army can do. I fell into that trap myself with the Soulblight book, which is actually a really great book in hindsight. Much better Legions of Nagash by any measure. We have also recently seen the same happen with Stormcast, where a lot of people were sure the book had no competitive play when it was released, and look at it now.

I think it's a fairly natural reaction, but we should try to resist it. At least until we have the book in our hands.

100% agree with this.

Mathammer is awesome, but it's just one jigsaw piece. The whole picture is what it matters.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Soulblight!? Tyranid!? Chaos!? OR...

FLESH EATER COURTS!!

Tyranid swings usually aren't so rugged, although that might just be an 'age' thing.

Jabberslythe has a similar design, but they're not 'broken' enough compared to the existing model.

Vampire/FEC wings don't have the 'hook' end to them, they're usually straight and narrow.

My money's on more StD or Daemons (the big 40k leaker said they're coming at some point) since Be'lakor isn't that off in terms of wing design.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

Just now, Clan's Cynic said:

Tyranid swings usually aren't so rugged, although that might just be an 'age' thing.

Jabberslythe has a similar design, but they're not 'broken' enough compared to the existing model.

Vampire/FEC wings don't have the 'hook' end to them, they're usually straight and narrow.

Last week’s rumour engine could be the jabberslythe’s tongue. These two rumour engines together really do paint a  distinctly Jabberslythe shaped picture. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Clan's Cynic said:

My money's on more StD or Daemons (the big 40k leaker said they're coming at some point).

Recent Soulblight wings have also been closer to anatomically correct bat wings, while this one seems more like a fantasy "devil wing". I would also guess Chaos, but I am secretly hoping for better FEC Crypt Flayers.

• LOVE IT! 1

I'd really like a new daemon prince sculpt (and rules), the current one feels so underwhelming for the pinnacle of Chaos. Would also love it if it was customisable, but I understand that daemon princes are so varied they can't really facilitate all variations so they tend to default to big devil man. 

Regardless, I'm hoping for a daemon prince!

• Like 4

I think Valkia could be a good shout, certainly I think it's probably something chaos-y.  The flying Tyranid sculpts tend to have smoother wing membranes than that.

Looks like a fairly small wing, infantry-sized, so a chaos hero/crypt flayer seems more likely than a monster to me.  Outside odds of some sort of Possessed update for Chaos space marines, I guess?  I think their current kit has a winged backpack.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I'd really like a new daemon prince sculpt (and rules), the current one feels so underwhelming for the pinnacle of Chaos. Would also love it if it was customisable, but I understand that daemon princes are so varied they can't really facilitate all variations so they tend to default to big devil man. 

Regardless, I'm hoping for a daemon prince!

A new Daemon Prince would be amazing, and a missed opportunity on GW's part given Total War Warhammer III's Godslayer showed just how customizable they can be.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1