The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Bayul said:

So it's decided. If I can have minis that are really inspired by slavic culture, Polish Commonwealth in particular, I must contribute to this project. Can't wait for The Old World.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius501 said:

I really hope this book is indicative of what 3rd will be like. It’d be a far more enjoyable experience if all books were at this level. Some of the combo building of other factions are absurd in 2nd Ed. 

I 100% agree (even if, by an in-universe point of view, Daemons, Seraphon and KO should be strong - given their technology, magic, mobility and/or fire power. Alas for me the Legion of the First Prince isn't as strong as Daemons were in WFB 7th ed. :P).

I have to say I cannot wait to see the rest of the Thunderstrike Hosts range for SCE as well as their rules - I hope they play a bit like Adeptus Custodes, aka a truly elite army. 

.... Also, if the Thunderstrike Hosts really are a Warrior AND Extremis Chambers reboot (aka SCE Wave 1 redesign), I want to see new Drakes for our heavenly legions 😍

• LOVE IT! 3

3 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

I 100% agree (even if, by an in-universe point of view, Daemons, Seraphon and KO should be strong - given their technology, magic, mobility and/or fire power. Alas for me the Legion of the First Prince isn't as strong as Daemons were in WFB 7th ed. :P).

I have to say I cannot wait to see the rest of the Thunderstrike Hosts range for SCE as well as their rules - I hope they play a bit like Adeptus Custodes, aka a truly elite army. 

.... Also, if the Thunderstrike Hosts really are a Warrior AND Extremis Chambers reboot (aka SCE Wave 1 redesign), I want to see new Drakes for our heavenly legions 😍

Dragons in full plate stormstrike armor?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Honestly I think Soulblight is looking to be a solid mid-upper mid tier book. There are definitely some strong units in there, grave guard, blood knights, and zombies are all looking strong and the subfactions are pretty interesting.
I think Grave Guard are the big winners, 20 attacking (they have 25mm bases) with great weapons and no buffs will do an average of 22.78 damage vs a 4+ save. Adding the vampire lord's command ability for +1 attack brings that up to 33.89, the wight kings CA (once it's fixed) would be 26.57 damage (those number are 16.7/24.85/19.49 for shield variants). This stuff is witch aelf levels of damage, and a necromancer can make them fight twice. Plus they're single wound summonable models.

Blood knights don't fare as well, but they're pretty durable and faster, and 5 put out 11.36 damage on the charge, or 14.94 with the vampire lord command ability.

The army also has access to some powerful heroes, recycleable chaff, and good magic, especially Vyrkos belladamma who gets a +1 base, can get a +1 from an 80 point corpse cart, and another +1 if you bring a mortis engine, so that would be a +3 with rerolls from the subfaction.

The army has a LOT of cool tricks, and has enough strong units to be competitive but I don't think it will be overbearing.

• Like 4

The gameplay was great, really looking forward to the survival mode; Dwarves with iron breakers supported by cannons are going to be the ultimate castle armies for scenarios like the one shown in the footage. I was hoping to see more from Khorne’s perspective, as they heavily focused on Kislev’s units, but time will reveal everything. 

Can’t wait to see how the other Chaos God realms look, especially some of the lesser-known areas between the realms; the drifting castle (if included) has always been one of my favorite locations in the lore because of how creepy and mysterious it is. Cathay and the hobgoblin empire are also going to be pretty exciting to see when they’re finally teased; I’m also left wondering what the preorder dlc race is going to be. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Sleboda said:

In other words, GW's plan to sell me a book and scrolls twice in a short span, doubling those sales from about $75 to about $150, has likely resulted in their loss of $1000+ sales for an indeterminate amount of time, perhaps even permanently as my interest could easily wane as I await their release of the "actual" Battletome and scrolls.

This is exactly me as well. I had been planning to finish off my Death alliance with the new Soulblight Gravelords range, and I like all the models... but... after the Lumineth (and, to be honest, Cursed City) releases I'll round out the Broken Realms series with the last book - but I'm not spending any more money until AoS3.

And then, unless something changes in the interim, I'll be quite a bit more circumspect I think.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pitzok said:

has anyone else noticed that rippa's snarlfangs have a red shield with a kind of sun pattern on it?60120709003_WHUBGRippasSnarlfangs02.jpgjkghjgjg.png.7f844a506486ffe522f80eb5fec3bcc3.png
kinda reminds me of this face on the left of the clue banner thing

make sense though, the little information we got on Gitmobs grots are that they suppose to worship the Sun as oppose to the Gloomspite who worship Da Bad Moon.

i am not entirely sure but the three symbols on the banner could represent the three Grot Subculture or at least that my guess

• Like 2

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, novakai said:

make sense though, the little information we got on Gitmobs grots are that they suppose to worship the Sun as oppose to the Gloomspite who worship Da Bad Moon.

i am not entirely sure but the three symbols on the banner could represent the three Grot Subculture or at least that my guess

Could well be. Red for Gitmobs, Yellow for Badmoon and the Blue for the "new breed"?

Edited by SunStorm

2 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Could well be. Red for Gitmobs, Yellow for Badmoon and the Blue for the "new breed"

Could be, though the third Subgroup of Grots in the fluff that where name where Grotbag Scuttlers which are Sky grots.

Granted they did hinted that there where other Subgroups too, one that went deep into the Marsh and other went under the Waves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

Honestly I think Soulblight is looking to be a solid mid-upper mid tier book. There are definitely some strong units in there, grave guard, blood knights, and zombies are all looking strong and the subfactions are pretty interesting.

I'd agree, the strength of the book seems OK. It's more the general design that's kinda iffy. Deathrattle and Deadwalkers have no real identity, neither do Legions of Blood and Night, there all like three different ways to ambush and deepstrike, the lists don't really flow (with the exception of Kastelai) and there's weird jank all over the place.

Plus, I'm finding it hard to build lists with the new models I like. New Vampire Lord, Wight King, Kritza and Annika are all not so good. Fell Bats are good, but the price point is bad. Conversely, some of the best lists seem to require Vargheists, which are easily the worst looking model in the army now for me. But of course that's an entirely personal problem.

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Could be, though the third Subgroup of Grots in the fluff that where name where Grotbag Scuttlers which are Sky grots.

Granted they did hinted that there where other Subgroups too, one that went deep into the Marsh and other went under the Waves

Yes, that's what i'm thinking, still i did'nt remember they specified a marsh subgroup.
Gloomspite already got two grots subspecies, why this new army can't do a mirror version of them with evil sun worship and other things?
Grotbag are named many times already, and going by the naming style they got, GW is already hinting to have them in the future (Kharadron were at first called Steamheads for example while Slayers were hinted by the name redlayers).
They could even subvert the idea and putting the third subgroup as the marsh ones as a Dank and shadow hating species forced to live in marshes and searching the Evil sun to warm them up (maybe cursed by the bad moon?).
But also the Gnoblars\Boglars idea is tempting, as a full fledged faction they could finally shine.
Still, as some already said,Fimir could be just some units added here and there like other monster sized infantry (as Troggoths and Minotaurs).

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

The thing to remember with the "as yet unknown other force" is that it needs to be something generically appealing enough to be in the starter set for a game that will stay around for at minimum 2 years. And also be new and different enough to warrant it's own battletome. 

Which is a long way of saying give me fimir esc swamp monsters :D

5 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'd agree, the strength of the book seems OK. It's more the general design that's kinda iffy. Deathrattle and Deadwalkers have no real identity, neither do Legions of Blood and Night, there all like three different ways to ambush and deepstrike, the lists don't really flow (with the exception of Kastelai) and there's weird jank all over the place.

Plus, I'm finding it hard to build lists with the new models I like. New Vampire Lord, Wight King, Kritza and Annika are all not so good. Fell Bats are good, but the price point is bad. Conversely, some of the best lists seem to require Vargheists, which are easily the worst looking model in the army now for me. But of course that's an entirely personal problem.

Wight kings are awful at the moment, they'll be a bit better if we lose the rerolling 1s generic CA. Their major purpose seems to be unlocking grave guard battleline (which is very good). Most of the Cursed city stuff seems pretty bad, after seeing the warscrolls Kritza and Annika are almost certainly from scrapped cursed city expansions.

Vampire lords just give any summonable unit in the army +1 attack, they might be a bit expensive, but +1 attack is a good buff. My post did the math for grave guard which is amazing I wish we had the scroll for skeletons, but zombies are also still on 25s, and are a bit of an "anti-tarpit tarpit". plus 6" pile-in on 25mm bases, and mortals on 6s are a big deal for these guys.

I'm personally not sold on vargheists. They certainly have their place, but they're basically just faster gluttons with 1 rend for 35 points more. 3 of them put out 7.41 damage against a 4+ save. They deepstrike, which is good, but there's plenty of other movement options in the army, like spawning out of gravesites and from the subfactions so it's not like its a tool unique to them in the book.

Honestly I think this is one of the best books they've written in a while (this book is tempting me), listbuilding is less linear than some other books with a lot of room for modular picks, and the subfactions give a vague suggestion without feeling like you NEED to build a certain list inside of it. The biggest benefits for most of the subfactions seems to be the characters within them, which is an interesting take.

Some very powerful looking pieces from my initial read:

• Vyrkos Nagash: Nagash + Lodestone cart + spellportal -1175
    • Vyrkos lets nagash reroll spellcasts and the cart gives him a +1 to cast, plus the deathmages spell lore is great.
  • Grave guard shell: 60 grave guard + wight king (general) -955
    • Two big blocks of grave guard as the bulk of your force, a bunch of named characters work as additional generals, combos well with necromancers or vampire lords since grave guard are summonable, don't need to be run as 30, but certainly an option.
  • Belladamma spell dom: Belladamma + lodestone cart + mortis engine -480
    • +3 to cast and rerolling casts on a double caster for a reasonable cost.

This isn't a book with a big focus on linear listbuilding, which makes decision making during listbuilding tough, but the tradeoff is far more freedom.

6 minutes ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

The thing to remember with the "as yet unknown other force" is that it needs to be something generically appealing enough to be in the starter set for a game that will stay around for at minimum 2 years. And also be new and different enough to warrant it's own battletome. 

Which is a long way of saying give me fimir esc swamp monsters :D

Had a wierd thought, what if its a greenskin variant, but fimir show up similar to how troggoths showed up in gitz? So as some hard hammers and maybe a fully playable subfaction(even if there's only a kit and hero). 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1