The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Elmir said:

I like the fact that shadespire took off the way it did, but they REALLY have to start releasing the card decks separately for a much lower cost. 

It's a competitive game in design, not a narrative one like AoS, and in order to be competitive, most decks contain a few cards from each single warband out there. This puts the starting costs for shadespire at a starterbox of €50, followed by an almost compulsory €135 worth of expansion boxes = €185! This isn't an introduction/hybrid into wargaming anymore, it's the actual price of an average decent sized warhammer army... It's actually one of the main reasons why it's hard to convince people in my gaming group to pick up the game. 

As a counterpoint to this: Shadespire is much cheaper than its peers. If you think of it as occupying the same sort of space as X-Wing, Netrunner, or Magic, then it's an incredibly good deal.

X-Wing also bundles cards with models, and you often need multiple copies of particular cards to run a competitive squad. That means buying multiple copies of models you don't necessarily want. Contrast with Shadespire, where the 'no more than 1 copy of a card in your deck' rule means that there's no pressure to ever buy an expansion twice. If you buy the core set and every Shadespire expansion, you have access to the full game for, as you say, €185. Doing the same with X-Wing costs five times more than that, easily.

I should stress: I love X-Wing! But I was staggered by how much more generous Shadespire is.

And it should go without saying that collectible card games are basically an infinite money sink.

With the regards to the comparison to Warhammer - yes, getting fully into Shadespire means spending approximately the same as you'd spend on a 2000 point AoS army. The difference is that with Shadespire you can run every faction in their game to their fullest potential. A better comparison would be the cost of Shadespire and every expansion vs. the cost of building a 2000 point army for every faction in AoS.

Edited by CJPT
  • Like 3

I don't know what's harder, waiting for a new starter once announced or waiting for a new starter to be announced :o

I kind of wish Death would put more emphasis on the different vampire clans again, plus updated zombies. More and more different ghost types are cool, but certainly no more unique given the amount of such things in mini wargaming alone.  I guess I used the Cairn Wraith in so many conversion I'll have to get a few similiar guys, too, but better zombies should've been a higher priority.

For Shadespire GW missed out on several (direct) sales because their stores didn't have it while even my FLGS has it - with discount. For a new season I want Free Guild models already, new Skaven band, preferably Moulder and a Nurgle band, bonus points if it's a carneval with members going from tiny Nurgling to hulking ocre or spawn. I expect will get different Blight Kings at best, though, so I won't be too upset.

PS: I still wish GW/FW would go and do a real skirmish game with XP with  a double sprue of monopose models with very high details and interesting poses for each established faction  and a few smaller ones. They could knock out models for obscure minifactions like swifthawk or unique minis they probably have concepts of like a Khorne ogre for the Khorne sprue, a Nurgle plague doctor sorceror and an Eshin Rat Ogre. Maybe finally a good Kroxigor model, too! Totally unrealistic given GW's manufacturing situation but I'd buy all boxes.

THAT could be the jumping in game while Shadespire could stay its own thing without people demanding this or that from a game that'd rather be a booster selling boardgame than a small-sized wargame.

3 hours ago, CJPT said:

As a counterpoint to this: Shadespire is much cheaper than its peers. If you think of it as occupying the same sort of space as X-Wing, Netrunner, or Magic, then it's an incredibly good deal.

X-Wing also bundles cards with models, and you often need multiple copies of particular cards to run a competitive squad. That means buying multiple copies of models you don't necessarily want. Contrast with Shadespire, where the 'no more than 1 copy of a card in your deck' rule means that there's no pressure to ever buy an expansion twice. If you buy the core set and every Shadespire expansion, you have access to the full game for, as you say, €185. Doing the same with X-Wing costs five times more than that, easily.

I should stress: I love X-Wing! But I was staggered by how much more generous Shadespire is.

And it should go without saying that collectible card games are basically an infinite money sink.

With the regards to the comparison to Warhammer - yes, getting fully into Shadespire means spending approximately the same as you'd spend on a 2000 point AoS army. The difference is that with Shadespire you can run every faction in their game to their fullest potential. A better comparison would be the cost of Shadespire and every expansion vs. the cost of building a 2000 point army for every faction in AoS.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really like Shadespire. But I really cannot convince my current wargaming group to really start it as well. Also, IF shadespire continues the same way it does now, the cost to entry is only going to increase to rival that of X--wing. It's only been out for less than a year, so it really can't get to the point of equaling a game like X-wing, but it's getting there full throttle. 

Also, having to dismantle one deck for faction 1 and reassemble it for faction 3 because some cards are being used in both is annoying as well. 

Having every faction in the game really doesn't seem to interest them either, as they only really are interested in the warband related to their GA. And I would never equate owning  36 models (shadespire  season 1, costing €185) to having a 2000p of every army in AoS...  Comparing it to a TCG isn't even something that ever came up when discussing it, as it's about as "apples to oranges" as it can get. 

PS: nobody is playing X-wing in our shop for almost the same reason.

6 hours ago, Binabik15 said:

I kind of wish Death would put more emphasis on the different vampire clans again, plus updated zombies.

Personally I'm glad that the vampire clans have slid into the background for a bit.  Undead has primarily been about the Vampires for about 3 editions spanning almost 20 years.  Tomb kings were a non-vampire distraction in there, but GW always neglected them a fair bit.  As someone who enjoyed all of the non-vampire undead stuff and was then sad to see most of it fade out of the lime-light for so long I am happy to see the current emphasis expand out from the vampires.  I don't want them to go away, but I would prefer they expand death in other directions for a while.

• Like 1

I'm sure people have spotted this already and I'm guessing there wont be models related to these, at least for now, but just seen the flying whale and giant tentacles on the cover of the Deepkin book and thought there is a lot of potential there for big sea monsters at a later point.

image.png.7a9bc7b632e7969222dea964d7197b82.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

I certainly would but the rules don’t add anything to the factions, the units are too small and won’t last long enough to be really useful. If they could have a bit more of a support role they’d be great.

Shadespire warbands are great for serving double duty in games of Skirmish. I mean, the two Stormcast warbands give you a Skirmish force of 6...or throw in the Fyreslayers for a combined Order Skirmish group of 10.

As Shadespire progresses with releases, we're receiving more and more Skirmish options.

This is an amazing deal. Buy Shadespire to play shadespire...purchase that ~$10 Skirmish book...and now you're also playing AoS with shadespire only purchases.

Edited by Mr. White
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lord Panther said:

This jpeg file is called 'AspectStorm'. What would the other aspects be? AspectCalm? AspectTsunami?

From the warscoll, it's complete name is Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (with the spear and the hook).

The other one may be Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Deep or something like that...

• Like 1

The Eidolon is neat and all,but look at that adowable wittle aquazoo he carries with him.

It should be clear by now that GW has picked up on models with pet sidekicks being really popular and really rolls with it in AoS.

So, I now expect an entire petting Zoo of skeleton goats and clouds of ghost-kittens come Deathrattle and Nighthaunt. GW better deliver, or I swear I will  riot>:(

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Just wondering, why do people think there are three Eidolon builds? The photo only contains two, the single miniature image is of the one at the front.

All sources say 2 except for one I can’t find. Probably just people mishearing. 

Edited by Barkanaut
  • Like 1

The eyeless cast is named Namarti, they are the foot soldiers of the deepkin, the Akhelians are the noble princes, they ride the Fangmora Eels and other sea monsters and the Isharann are the Mages who weave the spells of aetherwater for the raids.

It's all in the Image.  Also you can see the avatar on the back with a trident!

WDAprilPreview-Apr30-Spreads5mq.jpg

Edited by Sete
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

If they have flying whales then they probably don't need Realm Gates.  Flying Whales can get from Mars to Sirius after all.

That may just be the heaviest matter of the universe...

YES!!!. Great reference... 

• Like 1

So I have been doing a bit of thinking about the rest of the year and it seems at this point that we can pretty accurately predict what is coming for the rest of the year. 

So far confirmed we have

April- Deepkin and Shadespire 

Spring -bloodbowl chaos, Van saar Necromunda, imperial Knights with minis, Harlequins, deathwatch.

Summer-  aos magic,  nighthaunt,  new bloodbowl and Necromunda,  genestealer cults, orks, space wolves 

Autumn new bloodbowl and Necromunda,  adeptus Titanicus (99% confirmed) ghb2018

Winter-  chapter approved 2018

No date yet- kill team with new scenery, Shadespire season 2

Not confirmed but highly likely :

New aos starter, new stormcast minis and book, ork minis,  scenery bundles, new battleforces

Possible: new 40k legion,  space Wolf minis,  Gorkamorka 

That schedule does not leave much room for surprises. I think therefore that we will not see another battletome after stormcast/ nighthaunt in 2018.

• Like 2

Also supposedly Kroot from a reliable rumor possibly next year as we’ve been getting lots of rumor chatter about them (more than usual). They didn’t say when Kroot just there will be. Rumor person one said this last year. Now the second person is saying it. If sisters and Kroot come out in the same year imagine the memes. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

So I have been doing a bit of thinking about the rest of the year and it seems at this point that we can pretty accurately predict what is coming for the rest of the year. 

So far confirmed we have

April- Deepkin and Shadespire 

Spring -bloodbowl chaos, Van saar Necromunda, imperial Knights with minis, Harlequins, deathwatch.

Summer-  aos magic,  nighthaunt,  new bloodbowl and Necromunda,  genestealer cults, orks, space wolves 

Autumn new bloodbowl and Necromunda,  adeptus Titanicus (99% confirmed) ghb2018

Winter-  chapter approved 2018

No date yet- kill team with new scenery, Shadespire season 2

Not confirmed but highly likely :

New aos starter, new stormcast minis and book, ork minis,  scenery bundles, new battleforces

Possible: new 40k legion,  space Wolf minis,  Gorkamorka 

That schedule does not leave much room for surprises. I think therefore that we will not see another battletome after stormcast/ nighthaunt in 2018.

That would be a nice release schedule for 2018.

I think we will see 4 AoS battletomes with miniatures releases for 2018.

• Idoneth (big release 8+ kits)
  • Nighthaunt (2-3 kits)
  • Stormcast (2-3 kits)
  • Another new army (later this year, which will rival the Idoneth release in number of kits)

It seems that GW has upgraded their production capacity, thus I believe we will see much more AoS / 40K and other games than previous years.

I also think that the Magic supplement will come "after" the updated rules.

Anyway the first 3 months of 2018 were already for me one of the best years since I collect GW miniatures.

• Like 1