The Rumour Thread

So, after reading trough the preview article my thoughts: 

First Morathi: "While you’ll start each game with Morathi in her form as an aelven queen, you can choose to transform her in any of your turns, while damaging her can cause her to lose control unexpectedly" I think this will be an interesting mechanic. You start the game with aelf Morathi. Smaller, weaker in close combat but with powerful command abilities and magic. The player can now decide when to give up these abilities in exchange for a powerful giant flying monster. While also giving the opponent a way to counter this by triggering the transformation by hurting her. 

Second: "offering new ways to build your army under the auspices of particular strongholds of the cults" looks like the cult strongholds will be similar to the Kharadron Skyports or the other subfactions GW is implementing in the new 40K codex at the moment (Forge Worlds, Regiments, Necron Dynasties). Which is greatly appreciated. This is one of my favorite elements of 40K and the Kharadrons right now. 

"You can even field the Khainite statue that usually stands atop the Shrine as a separate unit" Sounds awesome, but im not sure if the Statue is supposed to be a moving unit (representing a animated golem?) or just a piece of army specific scenery like the Brayherds herdstone or the Nurgle Gnarlmaw. Either way, I fun addition and a perfect use of the blood cauldron set.

Preview-Feb18-DaughtersofKhaine2cs.jpg.cddf3f5955b30586e58c9110729d068f.jpg

Also, can we please appreciate the Battletome cover art? I think this is one of the darkest cover artworks to date. Murderouse fanatics, giant idols of a dark god and a bloody sky. I love it!

I don't plan on starting a Daughters of Khaine army, but I will get a Battletome just for the story alone!

Edited by Gecktron
  • Sad 1

From WarhammerTV:

The Daughters of Khaine are firmly opposed to Chaos Daniel. Being part of Grand Alliance Order does not make them 'good' in any way shape or form. It simply means that they are not undead, do not worship the Chaos Gods and are not part of the more savage races of the Mortal Realms.

For people that still has that question about why are they part of Order.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Galas said:

From WarhammerTV:

2 hours ago, Galas said:

The Daughters of Khaine are firmly opposed to Chaos Daniel.

This Chaos Daniel sounds like quite the adversary! :D

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 7
  • Haha 6

Super interested to see what this upcoming 'Sea Aelf' release has in store for us. Get the feeling that after all the details and models are shown for both this and Daughters, going to have to have a good long think about which of them I want to build up as an army.

Morathi looks pretty cool as well. Kinda interesting that Morathi has gone from the model wearing the least clothes to the model wearing the most clothes in that faction though. Maybe being swallowed by Slaanesh has made her re-consider her wardrobe.

4 hours ago, angrycontra said:

I love how kinetic that Morathi snake model looks. With that said though, that model has got to be one of the worst model to transport around.

I like the snakes. They look so happy! Anybody else notice that she's on the cover of the battletome wearing a helmet instead of her bare face? I SMELL ALTERNATE BUILD OPTIONS!!!

Edited by BURF1
  • Like 1

Morathi really more than measures up to her new servants miniatures. I really like her Aelf form as well, it is a fitting and so far very unique pose. I particularly like the relaxed left arm, for all the focus on dynamic posing we have had so far, I think for models that are more comanding we need more of that. I think DoK may turn out to be GWs best miniature release so far and by all we hear the next one may very well top it.

Just to "reignite the GA bash" (not really, but I felt I had to weight in), I do hope with Aelves being provided some new flavors, those of us who like Orks, Goblins, Ogres, Vampires, Ghosts and Skeletons get the same treatment soon. To me, this is what the whole matter of GA balance is all about:

GW has delivered us three flavors of Chaos dudes and two entirely new flavors of dwarf where before there was only one of each. They now bring out two different flavor of Elf back to back.

If you look at Chaos and Order now, I will whole heartedly agree with those that say that AoS is going into a direction where GA does not matter that much to what comes out or what one collects. However, people to whom the factions of Death or Destruction appeal most to are still mostly left out of this developement, with playing usually GA being the only recurse if one wants any variation at all. We have to get out of the mindset that Destruction or Death are only one "thing", each is made up oft multiple faction types with their own appeal (Vampires, Zombies, Skeletons and Ghosts for Death, Ogres, Trolls, Orks and Goblins for Destruction) that can be varied and reinvented as GW has done for Elves, Dwarves and Chaos Warriors so far.

For me, this is the sources of the "where is the Death support" calls stems from. At least Ogres, orcs and goblins already inherited a selection of different styles from Warhammer fantasy, but almost the entirety of Undeath is still stuck all conforming to the very same style.

So anyway, that is my attempt at explaining the GA imbalance issue, now lets get oogling awesome new elf miniatures. I think we will do that for an entire month starting from now.

• Like 1

Very happy that my guesses about the release date were correct. Gw really seems to give us a drought or a flood when it comes to AOS releases. Morathi is fantastic and the whole daughters of Khaine release is shaping up very well. Just one or two more heroes would really give us a pretty compelling army. The cauldron of blood kit has become even better value, giving you the war machine a hero and a monster whichever build you choose. 

That said with an ironclad to finish and 3 Shadespire warbands still to paint I will probably wait to see the sea Aelves before deciding which army to build. Hopefully the AOS open day, which is less than 2 weeks away, will give us another peek.

55 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Very happy that my guesses about the release date were correct. Gw really seems to give us a drought or a flood when it comes to AOS releases. Morathi is fantastic and the whole daughters of Khaine release is shaping up very well. Just one or two more heroes would really give us a pretty compelling army. The cauldron of blood kit has become even better value, giving you the war machine a hero and a monster whichever build you choose. 

That said with an ironclad to finish and 3 Shadespire warbands still to paint I will probably wait to see the sea Aelves before deciding which army to build. Hopefully the AOS open day, which is less than 2 weeks away, will give us another peek.

I am in this boat except there is allegedly a 40k release I might be interested in or sea elves. This is going to be a tough choice.

10 hours ago, Galas said:

From WarhammerTV:

For people familiar with D&D, I think the best analogue for order is the lawful alignment that can range from good to evil. In fact in D&D, one of the biggest conflicts is between the lawful evil devils and the chaotic evil demons. Sure the devils are evil, but at least they want some order and structure in the world, it's just a matter of basic principles compared to the lawful good people. I'd say Order, Chaos, and Destruction in AoS are basically Lawful, Chaotic, and Neutral respectively for the most part with ranges of good to evil found within(but probably far less good if any than evil in Chaos) with Death being it's own Lawful Evil thing.

Edited by bsharitt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

For people familiar with D&D, I think the best analogue for order is the lawful alignment that can range from good to evil. In fact in D&D, one of the biggest conflicts is between the lawful evil devils and the chaotic evil demons. Sure the devils are evil, but at least they want some order and structure in the world, it's just a matter of basic principles compared to the lawful good people. I'd say Order, Chaos, and Destruction in AoS are basically Lawful, Chaotic, and Neutral respectively for the most part with ranges of good to evil found within(but probably far less good if any than evil in Chaos) with Death being it's own Lawful Evil thing.

Change is good!....Most of the time at least :)

8 hours ago, bsharitt said:

If we are taking a D&D comparison, I would rather say that Order represents those whose alignment is actually dependand on their own personality, as opposed to demons, Undead and Monsters in most D&D settings, whose alignment is determined by their nature.

If you look at Chaos and Death, they are entirely composed of beings who by their nature, misfortune or foul bargain are bound to the will of their GAs leading element (Nagash for Death, the Realm and Gods of Chaos for, well, Chaos). Any personality or capability for independent thought is ultimately overruled over by their Masters. Even the most unruly elements are ultimately devoid of true independence, like the Flesheater Kings, whose insanity keeps them from making any sort of founded decision.

The forces of Destruction meanwhile are completely ruled by impulse and instinkt. They do as they want and can hardly be commanded, but all just what they want is set in stone.

That is the huge difference between Order and the other three GAs, by and large the factions of Order are made of actual people with a will, personality and agenda of their own and more importantly, the freedom to act on it. This is true for even the most supernatural members so far, the Slyvaneth and Stormcast, in fact, Stormcast loosing their personality and free will with each reforging is presented as one of the biggest issues Sigmar faces.

The people of Order can have the best and worst of qualities, good or evil, lawful or chaotic, but whatever they are, they are so because of their own choices and are all capable of going either way.

To give an example of what I am talking about, lets take for example the quality of compassion.

Order is the only GA where a character being compassionate would act as we expect. A Stormcast Lord Celestant has his host pause to care for civilians, a Kharadron Admiral might deliver goods (at a slimm profit) to a poor community near an aethergold vain, a Fyreslayer take an oath for a mere token, a Sylvaneth Gladelord give hidden boons to nearby mortals and I guess even a Deathhag might decide to only sacrifice the wicked.

Now, a mortal servant of Chaos or certain high ranking Undead (a Vampire, maybe even a Wight King, Deathmage or Liche) are well capabable of having a compassionate personality.

However, the Powers of Chaos twist everything beyond recognition. To a Chaos Champion compassion would mean spreading the contagious gifts of Nurgle to the unloved wretches, giving the dull the experience of exquisite torture, warping and mutating the mind and bodies of the insufficient or forcing the weak into combat where they either claim strength or are relieved of their suffering.

Meanwhile, to a servant of Death their compassion becomes meaningless the moment the needs of their Undead nature or the commands of a greater will of Undeath makes itself manifest. Some Soulblight might ensure their mortal thralls live in comfort and happiness, but they still enthrall and predate on them. A Deathmage or Liche tells himself he is doing the living a favor as he turns their flesh to dust and puts the bodies to eternal work at Nagashes command and to a banshee the knowledge of the horrible fate she bestows uppon her victims adds just another layers to her own eternal torment. Meanwhile a compassionate Ghoulking dotes on his faithful Men-At-Arms, always seeking out splendit feasts to fill their bellies.

Lastly, to the forces of Destruction, compassion is simply not a part of their nature and it goes right over their head. If a Ogor or Greenskin  even manages to take notice of the concept, at best a Megaboss would think how he gave "da umies" a good scrap, a Gutbuster Tyrant how he found his bunch a great meal and a Moonclan how a just petted his favorite Squig. Then they'd decide they are doing good, forget about it and seek out the next fight.

Edited by Rogue Explorator