The Rumour Thread

True but neither Idoneth nor DoK should need a new tome right now - it would send a wrong message to gamers. GW only sells tomes whilst players consider them a viable investment. If GW releases too many too fast they devalue fast! Both Dok And Idoneth are 2.0 ready armies and were advertised and sold as such. They don't need a new Tome at all. Sure new tomes picks up big interest, but those armies are so new already that they don't need a new tome to sell them on popularity. Even if they did a new Tome there'd be very little change to their core units and army anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

It actually surprises me how those two factions - 2.0 ready factions - don't yet have the endless spells for them considering how fast stormcast and nighthaunt got theirs. 

Yeah and the Nighthaunt endless spells look great but really suck on the battlefield especislly compared to some of the new ones. The moral is.. being a first mover isn’t really always the best thing..

A little bird told me that Fyreslayers, Kharadron Overlords, Dispossessed and the dwarf bits from Ironweld Arsenal are getting rolled into a giant Dwarf book. New dwarf warrior sculpts (options for melee or ranged) that work across the book as battle line and a dwarf hold terrain piece.

Edited by Verminlord
spelling
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, xking said:

Unlikely, Highly unlikely. I don't know what this merging of three very different came from. I don't see it happening with Dwarfs.

Many said the same thing of the skaven clans and of moonclan, spiderfang, troggoths

Edited by Verminlord

Eh, I'd say "many" is stretching the truth quite a bit.

I saw very few people stridently against or doubting a combined Skaven book, and Gloomspite was speculated to be a combined book well before it was announced. The only really surprise there was the Spiderfang, which wasn't that much of a stretch and still predicted by many people.

A combined Dwarf tome just sounds like a cop-out, honestly. Fyreslayers and Kharadron are brand new armies with awesome models and very divergent concepts, not scattered remnants of old model ranges dying to be swept under the umbrella of much older models and less defined lore.

It would also totally fail to address the actual needs of both armies. Fyreslayers need new models and more fleshed out lore almost more than they need a new battletome, Kharadron have a great model range and lore, and just need a complete book re-write. 

Also, a generic Dwarf hold terrain piece for Fyreslayer and Kharadron armies? And presumably equally generic endless spell equivalents for both instead of cool fire effects for Fyreslayers and high tech machines for KO? Meh.

I won't say it's impossible, but I do think it's unlikely, and as someone who collects both Fyreslayers and KO savagely disappointing if true.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Many said the same thing of the skaven clans and of moonclan, spiderfang, troggoths

None of those factions were AoS creations though. Neither are any of the Skaven stuff nor the Beasts of Chaos for that matter.

If Dwarfs are getting rolled back into a faction it'll be the old stuff, and the new factions will be kept separate. If it happens seems more and more like when it happens... except for the fact that all the Ironweld stuff has been lumped in with Freepeoples in the GW store. 😒

Edited by MrFouly
  • Like 1

Making a Dwarf battletome would be a really bad move, the old dwarf players from 8th edition would likely be very happy with this. But the amount of redundant units would be large as Irondrakes/Auric hearth guard and Thunderers are largely the same unit, So are Ironbreakers/Vulkite Berserkers and Hammerers/Hearthguard Berserkers.  

The best way forward for dwarves is to do a Kharadron overlords new battle tome and fix the issues with that army, Release more kits for it. It's easily the biggest draw for 40k players and some of the existing dwarf players are fine with them. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, Overread said:

I wonder how the dwarves are going to take the news that gold isn't important? At least one - Gotrek - might well not be too happy with the news!

Also it concerns me because it suggests that dragons might wind up without gold! If Gold has no value then it won't be minted into coins = what on the realms will dragons sleep on, hoard, fight for and steal if they don't have gold coins? This is a serious consideration - please people - think of the dragons! 

Maybe we are all looking in the wrong direction and its going to be a new Smaug model for the Lord of the Rings game.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

A little bird told me that Fyreslayers, Kharadron Overlords, Dispossessed and the dwarf bits from Ironweld Arsenal are getting rolled into a giant Dwarf book. New dwarf warrior sculpts (options for melee or ranged) that work across the book as battle line and a dwarf hold terrain piece.

Now that is interesting, while I don't think we'll see a combined battletome for the dwarves I do think updates for Fyreslayers and Kharadron are a given and a brand new battletome for Dispossessed could be very possible especially with the mentions of new warrior sculpts with both melee and ranged options and a dwarf hold terrain piece. Rolling the Ironweld Arsenal dwarves into Dispossessed fits as well in my mind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

Now that is interesting, while I don't think we'll see a combined battletome for the dwarves I do think updates for Fyreslayers and Kharadron are a given and a brand new battletome for Dispossessed could be very possible especially with the mentions of new warrior sculpts with both melee and ranged options and a dwarf hold terrain piece. Rolling the Ironweld Arsenal dwarves into Dispossessed fits as well in my mind.

Yeah I can see it too. Whilst I mentioned on another thread that Dispossessed Warriors are my favourite unit kit, I worry the aesthetic doesn't tie in enough with Age of Sigmar. I really hope it's not the case as no one likes seeing their favourite units replaced especially if the aesthetics will have a completely different feel.

To the topic of a new Idoneth-Battletome: I really wonder why they should get a new battletome as the current one is pretty nice in all terms. The Endless-Spells could be simply delivered with Data-Cards. The rules would be available anyway on the app or online as warscroll. Therefore no need for a new tome only to add 3-4 Spells. Also it would rather harm the faction in a similar way SCE-Players get pretty unhappy when forced to buy another Battletome. Again.

Khorne on the other hand is pretty much different:
The Tome may not be too old but yet there were a lot of changes. The whole summoning-part, changed profiles with wrath and glory, units missing in the battletome like the slaughterbrute which got the keyword after the battletome and so on. Also the new endless prayers will most propably be tied to bloodtithe and therefore require even more ruling-updates...therefore Khorne gets the Battletome for cleaning up the current mess, which is great as it is a pretty iconic faction. Also some old design-flaws are currently changed. Newer armies get their tribe-rules for free, simply by playing given enclave,chamber, whatsoever, old factions had to buy expensive mega battalions for this for example.

I didn't say idoneth need a new battletome. I said that given we have a rumour pic that relates to idoneth and may be their endless spells there is a possibility of a new book. This is primarily based on an assumption that GW don't want to release endless spells on their own without anything else to support the release. 

That said I do believe that idoneth could benefit from a new book, as some of their models have lacklustre rules. A lot of the mechanics designed to support thralls and reavers don't work well and there aren't many battalions. 

At the moment the cracks in the army are papered over by the strength of morsarr guard on the charge. 

However, this may be something that is fixed in GH19. 

Regardless, I expect something to be released alongside endless spells whether that be a new hero, a battle box or a book. 

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

Rumour rumour thread is more akin to a Wishing Well at this point.

Say it, regardless of how utterly basesless speculation it is, maybe it will come true

So discussing stuff that is related to this week's rumour engine is baseless speculation? Right. 

7 hours ago, Verminlord said:

If they do merge the 3 duardin factions the battletome could as well be written on the Dammaz Kron.

Edited by Furuzzolo
  • Haha 3

I'm looking forward to seeing the new KO Shadespire war band - I'm just about to get into Shadespire and I'd love a war band for my favourite faction. Warcry sounds good as well- ideally if its supported by more kits for the factions maybe with options?]. A new Dispossed battle tome sounds good but I'm not sure how KO and Fyreslayers would fit in there- I'd love to see new dwarf sculpts for any faction - new terrain/spells would be interesting too [floating Terrain for the KO? :D]. I'd say GAMA will most like reveal something of Warcry and expansions/new teams for other systems.

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

So discussing stuff that is related to this week's rumour engine is baseless speculation? Right. 

You haven’t discussed it. You've said you 100% know that it is Idoneth, which you don’t.

Then people have taken these assertions as a platform to ask why it is that a thing that is complete speculation - Idoneth ES- means there would also be another entirely speculative thing which you have yourself asserted might well be the case-a Battletome- to accompany the thing you have completely speculated will be released with 100% certainty.

Please note I’ve at no point told anyone what they can or can’t say.  I will continue to demonstrate how utterly speculative it is though when people do state with utter conviction something founded entirely on speculation , to try and provide some balance in reality for people trying to determine between rumours and stuff people are either saying they know with certainty they know will happen without evidence for it, or just hope might happen on the basis of utter speculation.

Unless of course I’m not entitled to my opinion for some reason

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2