The Rumour Thread

Hey, a series exploring Khorgos Khul written by Gav Thorpe, that's pretty neatBLPROCESSED-The-Red-Feast-Royal-Cover.jpg

"The coming of the God-King Sigmar has brought relative peace and prosperity to the Great Parch. Yet across the sun-drenched plains of the Flamescar Plateau the passions of the tribes are intemperate and generations of loyalty to the Hammergod cannot wholly erase their warlike past and bloodthirsty traditions. Among them live the Khul, outsiders allied to the mighty Aridians through shared blades. Athol Khul is the spear-carrier, the bridge between these peoples, and to him falls a near-impossible task when a distant sorcerous power threatens the alliance. With the lives of his family and people hanging in the balance, Athol must secure whatever companions and powers he can to aid in the coming war. In doing so, he starts upon a path that will lead to glory and ruin in equal measure."

Edited by BrownDog
  • Like 11
  • LOVE IT! 2

Very happy about this round of reveals.

The Skaven vs. FEC boxed set and announcement of more to come is very good news, not just for players of those factions, but also as a clear indicator that armies composed of older models and those that got a 1st edition Battletome can see further support in relatively close time.

Two heroes being the only new models probably means the box is very close to being released (I think at least the preorder is this month). It will be interesting to see how far out the Skaven and FEC Battletomes are from the boxed set. Going by the experience with Forgebane and Tooth and Claw we can see that the closer an army release is to such a boxed set, the less new miniatures come with it. Necron and Space Wolves books came right behind their boxed sets and got no further new miniatures. Knights came relatively close after Forgebane and got a few kits. GSC are a fair bit after their box and evidently get a lot.

So I wonder if it will be again one army with no further new miniatures and one expanded or both get only the tome,spells, terrain treatment or both get expansions. If only one gets further new kits, I'd bet its FEC. They just have not enough kits and options compared to all other armies and there is no Death faction left they could really be folded in with, Gloomspite style. If there is further kits for FEC, then I think we will finally see Ushoran in miniature form. He is a big part of their lore and all but stated to still be around. Also, GW can't seem to release factions for AoS without them having some form of "Top Dog" special Character and for FEC it could be no other.

Skaven on the other hand, could theoretically just be reintegrated into a single faction and have a pretty solid standing, though everyone always wants new models and I really couldn't see such a major player getting nothing new at all.

I think at this point it is worth looking back at which factions got allegiance abilities in the GHB 2017. When that book was released GW said these where the armies slated for further attention. Since then Nighthaunt got a major army release, Soulblight where integrated with LoN (but kept their own allegiance) and Brayherds where turned back into BoC with that tome. Slaves to Darkness are looking at an update with Darkoath and GW has all but confirmed Slaanesh for this year. And now we get a FEC vs Skryre with GW saying there is more to come (which at least means Battletome). This leaves Ironjaws and Fyreslayers (whom we have gotten rumors might see a second wave), Seraphon and Pestilenz for 1st edition armies and on the legacy faction side Dispossessed, Free Peoples, Wanderers and Darkling Covens.

This makes the four legacy armies very interesting. I think Slyvaneth are looking at a second wave (there have been a few rumors and the Shadespire warband includes new types of tree revenants), in which case Wanders could rejoin them.

I could also see Free Peoples and Disposessed (with maybe a few mortal human stragglers) being released in one Battletome spearheaded (just as Moonclan spearhead Gloomspite) by the Ironweld Arsenal, who got a lot of Lore Attention and seem to be the main mortal army of the Free Cities. But I could also see free peoples coming absolutely last, as a combination of all Order factions not covered elsewhere (would be last so as not to spoil who joins Tyrion and Malerion).

This leaves the Darkling Covens. I think nobody would be surprised if they have been working for Malerion all along, though they may not make up the heart of his factions release.

Depending on how much GW reshuffles factions, we might see all remaining faction covered by a Battletome much sooner than we think (I was thinking it'd take them a decade). Death is already completely covered (particularly after a second FEC Volume), though I could see legions broken apart into Soulblight and Necromantic Hosts later down the line. And if all Skaven are covered in one Tome, Chaos will be completely covered by the end of the year (provided Everchosen/Slaves/Darkoath pick up stragglers like Slaughtbrute, Demon Prince and Soul Grinder).

Ironjawz might pick up a few other Destruction factions, as might Grotback Skuttlers if they ever happen.

Looking back at all this, it seems easier to predict what will have to wait a while longer than what will come in about the next one and a half years. Everything is pointing at Ogres and Elves of Tyrion being the furthest out. Seraphon and Skaven may also have a long wait ahead (provided they get a terrain plus endless Spells Battletome). It does not look to promising for Death factions beyond FEC anytime soon (considering I expected no new Death in 2019 at all, that is still not to bad).

That said, GW has never been easy to predict´and with them cranking up their pace more and more it is only becoming harder. I am sure I will turn out to be hilariously wrong on at least one thing.

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Souleater said:

My wallet would implode if they do funky new Wanders and put them back into Sylvaneth. 😭😍

That would be cool, I like armies of tree people, but as an option, I do kinda miss seeing wood elves and sylvaneth together, its the contrast of spirit and elf which mad eot such an appealling force back in the day. And st the moment anything seems possible from gw.

Just now, Furuzzolo said:

A lot of the unsolved rumors engine pics should be X'ed on, now. 

Has someone an updated pic of the rumors engine solved/unsolved models? 

I dont think anyone has updated it in a while, @WarbossKurgan had the last big update I remember seeing. We have had a couple of items of it come out since though, the squig teeth matched up with one from the hopper set and a couple of them were from the daemons. One of them was the 3d hologram of the genestealer cult models. I recall seeing a pipe like one, which might be part of the new skaven warlock model.

1 hour ago, Souleater said:

My wallet would implode if they do funky new Wanders and put them back into Sylvaneth. 😭😍

I'm kindof holding out for an entire new range of Wanderers at some point as their own faction. 

Remember when they did the last chance to buy off the metal waywatchers. Think I remember someone commenting they'd soldvery well indeed. 

Imagine Kurnothian Aelves riding forest beasts

48 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I'm kindof holding out for an entire new range of Wanderers at some point as their own faction. 

Remember when they did the last chance to buy off the metal waywatchers. Think I remember someone commenting they'd soldvery well indeed. 

Imagine Kurnothian Aelves riding forest beasts

I'm not sure the Wanderers would ever get their own faction.  AoS currently has 3 elf battletomes (if you could Sylvaneth - who still sort of are).   We know that they want to do angelic "light" elves and most people suspect that the "shadow" elves are going to be a thing also.  Then you figure that of all of the Old World elf races that GW is likely to keep or update it is probably the High Elves - who seem to have the most fluff involvement with the Free Cities.

GW is not going to make an infinite number of battletomes & armies and I can't really see them making a ton of different elf books.  Elves are a popular fantasy race, but there is probably a saturation point for them.  At this point I would say that non-Stormcast/Chaos humans are more needed.  They are probably the most conspicuously absent race (in terms of BattleTomes and updated product lines).

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JPjr said:

RATS vs. FLESH EATER COURTS SET ANNOUNCED

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/05/breaking-news-new-models-new-expansions-and-exclusive-revealsgw-homepage-post-1

you have to feel a little sorry for the AoS team as I assume most of their big reveals for today got spoiled last week, still of all the places to go next, Skaven & FEC feels pretty, pretty unexpected.

just goes to show how little we all know. 🤪🔨

This is interesting.  I was wondering if they were going to start selling more sets like this.  This looks a lot like the BlightWar set or the various 2-faction 40k Boxed sets that they came out with last year.  This looks to be the same format where they package up existing model kits and then add a new hero sprue for each of the factions.

• Like 1

Yeah @Skabnoze it’s a nice curveball.

Assuming they might knock out a few more Wrath & Rapture, Carrion Empire style box sets this year who do we think could also get the same treatment (or you would like to see)?

Couple of new models, along with a bundle of older sculpts, maybe with an updated Battletome.

last year 40k got how many? Tooth & Claw, Forgebane, Wake the Dead and W&R, any others (not including Kill Team too of course)? So could def see a few more squeezed in.

Guessing there’ll be a 2nd Realm of Chaos one for both games (Decay & Change?).

Ironjawz would only need a model or two new so would be a good option, then versus some Duardin force peut-etre?