The Rumour Thread

13 minutes ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone else think the troggoth model represents that the Moonclan faction may not be just Grots, but an array of Destruction races all with the Moonclan keyword?

I think that if they did that they would do some sort of Legions of Nagash style anthology allegiance book and I think Moonclan could possibly be rolled into it rather than become the main faction keyword.  I think Moonclan will continue to remain the evolution of the Night Goblin subfaction of grots within Age of Sigmar.

15 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

BTW, I have for more than 20 years the old trolls (all of them, in metal) and they look far better in my taste.

I have all of the old trolls going back about that far as well. 

The more I look at the new proportions for this troll the more I think it may be distinct to whatever this unit is and not be the new direction for Trolls.  Earlier in the destruction forums I was remarking that it is interesting that the older trolls all had thinner torsos and big fat waists with a big gut.  This guy is the opposite with a larger torso and a thin waist.

However, if you ignore the details on the model and look at the silhouette of the body he is shaped less like a muscle-bound brute and more like a mushroom with the way his upper torso flares and his whole lower body tapers.  His waist is completely straight and his legs shaped like the stalks of a mushroom.  I am pretty sure the artists did this quite intentionally to subtly reinforce the fungus monster concept.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Wonder how big it is? There's no skulls or anything in the sculpt to get a size reference

There's the base, which will give you an exact size reference.

As this is for WUnderworlds, the base is either 40 or 50mm. Given how much of the base he's taking up, I'm probably leaning towards that base being a 40mm base and him being slightly bigger than an Ogre when you factor in the fungus.

The only downside to this potential new art direction for Moonclan might be is not enough badgers

Edited by froo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am firmly in the like camp. I always feel that a model which deeply divides opinion is a success. One of warhammer's great strengths, especially on the fantasy side,  is that it has a huge variety of miniatures which still manage to look like they belong in the same universe. 

This mini definitely feels a bit more cartoony,  but part of that is the very bright paint job. Personally I love the massive mushrooms, the glum expression and the stubby little legs. 

I understand that is not to everyone's taste but should be  OK.

The old stone trolls are probably pretty easy to get hold of given how long they have been around and would make a pretty good proxy for those who like grots but not these. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, froo said:

There's the base, which will give you an exact size reference.

As this is for WUnderworlds, the base is either 40 or 50mm. Given how much of the base he's taking up, I'm probably leaning towards that base being a 40mm base and him being slightly bigger than an Ogre when you factor in the fungus.

The only downside to this potential new art direction for Moonclan might be is not enough badgers

Fellwater Troggoths are on 50mm bases - I expect this guy is on one of those.

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

GW has earned a lot of trust in their vision for "rawr over the top turn it up to 11" in the new AoS versions of World That Was armies.

It would just be a bummer if, with many clamoring for squigs, they warped the traditional look of squigs so much that they really don't capture the things that make squigs so appealing - a ball with teeth and a touch of humor.

I am nervous now, having seen the cave shaman and this ... whatever it is.

The Underworlds Squigs haven't changed in style. They're still definitively 'squiggy'!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

It would just be a bummer if, with many clamoring for squigs, they warped the traditional look of squigs so much that they really don't capture the things that make squigs so appealing - a ball with teeth and a touch of humor.

I am nervous now, having seen the cave shaman and this ... whatever it is.

Well if you look at the squig at the base of the cave shaman, it's still recognisable as a squig. It has spores on its top, but it's also a spore squig in its ruleset.

I'd say its a safe bet to not be worried about GW ****** with the squig recipe too much.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Fellwater Troggoths are on 50mm bases - I expect this guy is on one of those.

That would make that frog nearly orc size then which is massive. There are 3 troggoth base sizes in that errata document they did. 2 out of 3 are 40mm so I think its not unreasonable to think it's 40mm.

Either way.. I wants it. I wants it. Give to froo.

32 minutes ago, froo said:

That would make that frog nearly orc size then which is massive. There are 3 troggoth base sizes in that errata document they did. 2 out of 3 are 40mm so I think its not unreasonable to think it's 40mm.

True, the older troll models are on 40mm bases.  But given that he is off-center on the base and the club takes up a larger portion - I am inclined to say think he is on a 50mm.  But, that does make the frog thing pretty large.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

This troggoth is for Underworlds (presumably NightVault), so he'll have to fit in those hexes. 

I'm guessing the same size base as Riptooth.

Riptooth is on a 50mm.  Those hexes on the Shadespire (sorry GW that name is probably going to stick) boards are quite large.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I have all of the old trolls going back about that far as well. 

The more I look at the new proportions for this troll the more I think it may be distinct to whatever this unit is and not be the new direction for Trolls.  Earlier in the destruction forums I was remarking that it is interesting that the older trolls all had thinner torsos and big fat waists with a big gut.  This guy is the opposite with a larger torso and a thin waist.

However, if you ignore the details on the model and look at the silhouette of the body he is shaped less like a muscle-bound brute and more like a mushroom with the way his upper torso flares and his whole lower body tapers.  His waist is completely straight and his legs shaped like the stalks of a mushroom.  I am pretty sure the artists did this quite intentionally to subtly reinforce the fungus monster concept.

The kind of things I don’t catch. Thanks to point it

Îlike the model, it is just the face that bugs me because I really prefer the current troggoth faces. But anyway, will by the warband ?

1 minute ago, Aryann said:

Is there any new unit in the pictures? 

Nope. Looks like just the herdstone and endless spells.

I'm wondering if the bat looking stuff is actually 'Flock of Doom' re-imagined as a endless spell.

I was just about to rebase my Seraphon, but looks like Beasts of Chaos might be on the top of the list instead. Have a fairly large Beastmen army, but it gives me a chance to rebase it, tidy some of it up, and finish painting the models I never got around to (more Centigors, Razorgors, Ghorgon/Cyrgor and the Thunderscorn I've slowly been picking up).

Very interesting to see how this release turns out, whether it's got more new models to show or not.