The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, gdieckhaus said:

Did I read this right - the general no longer gets his command ability for free... So its not like these command points are going to be firing off extra command abilities, you just are going to pick the one you want to go.  (assuming no battalions and you use 1 a turn)

Jeah. Sadly seems like it.

• Like 1

Well, I think that we could get new battalions for some armies in GH2018. Maybe they could make Grand Alliance battalions (e.g. one Order HERO, 1 Order Battleline, 0-X Non-Batleline Order units).

Edited by michu

6 minutes ago, michu said:

Well, I think that we could get new battalions for some armies in GH2018. Maybe they could make Grand Alliance battalions (e.g. one Order HERO, 1 Order Battleline, 0-X Non-Batleline Order units).

I would hope so, because this move really hurts those armies that do not have battle tomes.

As a grot player I have no real access to extra command points unless they add in some battalions or some other method to get more.  Also, the change to inspiring presence means that you basically get half of the effect that you currently do (it only works for a single battleshock phase and not the whole round), but you do gain the ability to trigger it exactly when you will need it rather than having to guess ahead of time.  A more granular strategy for Inspiring Presence is nice, but we will have to see if that balances out getting less of it.

8 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I would hope so, because this move really hurts those armies that do not have battle tomes.

As a grot player I have no real access to extra command points unless they add in some battalions or some other method to get more.  Also, the change to inspiring presence means that you basically get half of the effect that you currently do (it only works for a single battleshock phase and not the whole round), but you do gain the ability to trigger it exactly when you will need it rather than having to guess ahead of time.  A more granular strategy for Inspiring Presence is nice, but we will have to see if that balances out getting less of it.

Seems like they want Command abilities to be more reactive and more Hero-dependent. Presumably means there's some incentive not to spend your Command Point during the Hero Phase if it can also be used for panic-button abilities later in the turn, especially as if you end up not using them the points carry over to the next turn.

33 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Since Inspiring Presence is used in the battleshock phase and not in the hero phase now, I think it actually got better, especially for armies that have multiple horde units. I tend to play very mobile armies. Before, when someone with multiple horde units inspiring presenced one unit, I would just hit a different one. Now you can react to which unit is most likely to fail a battleshock test, and by how much, at the start of the battleshock phase. That's a huge increase in flexibility.

Edited by SlaaneshCultist
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SlaaneshCultist said:

Since Inspiring Presence is used in the battleshock phase and not in the hero phase now, I think it actually got better, especially for armies that have multiple horde units. I tend to play very mobile armies. Before, when someone with multiple horde units inspiring presenced one unit, I would just hit a different one. Now you can react to which unit is most likely to fail a battleshock test, and by how much, at the start of the battleshock phase. That's a huge increase in flexibility.

You are correct in that it is more flexible and reactive.  That is a positive.  But you get less of the effect since it only lasts for that phase rather than the whole round for what is essentially the same cost.

I’m not saying it is bad.  I can’t say whether it is better or not without actually playing games with the full system and we don’t have the full rules picture.  It could end up better, or worse, or just a side-grade.

But I am a bit worried about the new command point system for armies that lack any battalions.  Hopefully they put in something to balance that out and we just have not seen it.

5 hours ago, Infeston said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/18/18th-may-rules-preview-command-abilities-and-command-pointsgw-homepage-post-2/

It seems like the amount of command points you get for using command abilities is now tied to the amount of battalions you use in your game.

I have to say I am really disappointed by this change. 

Why not give every player the same amount of command points every turn? Now armies with access to a lot of battalions will be at advantage. I really liked the concept of command points as I have heard of it. But after this article I am seriously disappointed.

Read it again, you get 1 at the start of the GAME for each battalion. That means if you bring a battalion you get 1. 1 command point is not going to be a big deal. You're also not gonna see multiple battalions basically ever. Even with this bump, being able to use inspiring presence 1 extra time isn't going to be worth the 200+pts and jank army builds it'll cost to do so.

Edited by BURF1
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

Read it again, you get 1 at the start of the GAME for each battalion. That means if you bring a battalion you get 1. 1 command point is not going to be a big deal

Yep. From what we know, we can have CP from two diferent sources:

-1 CP at the begining of each turn.

- 1 extra CP at the begining of the the game for each battalion we have.

Edited by Beliman

The new command abilities mechanics seem to me a fantastic change. 

What we have seen on CP generation, though, seem to me to limit the impact of that change of mechanics. Having all heroes be able to use abilities and to have reactive abilities as well could add a lot of depth. With 1 CP per turn that is all very limited though. Battalions makes sense (“army coherence bonus”), but it is both marginal and unfair for some armies. 

All of this would be solved if there were additional CP sources.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Turgol said:

All of this would be solved if there were additional CP sources

I'd think there will be. Some characters could generate some. A spell might grant some. New rules down the road might as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, xking said:

I feel like some people may be overreacting.

Looking at the rules previews so far, nothing is really a big change to the game.  GW made a lot of noise with the initial announcement about making all sorts of changes across the game to make this the greatest mostest amazingest bestest ever game, but we should remember that this is a product and it is their job to market it.  I think a lot of us, myself included, got the mindset that there was going to be some big shake-ups, but the reality is that it is starting to look like any changes to the core rules are much closer to a small iterative evolution than a big refactor.  While this is billed as Age of Sigmar v2.0 I am getting the feeling that we are looking at something closer to Age of Sigmar v1.2 - which is fine. 

So far all of the changes I have seen have been improvements - they were just smaller than I expected.  I think we can temper expectations for anything else earth-shattering in the core rules.  We will see some small tweaks to the way things work now and thats probably it.  Having said that, small changes can sometimes have a very large impact.

But in terms of big changes I think the new magic will be a bigger change than most anything and that system will probably be an optional module (although most likely a standard part of matched play).  I would expect that the new point rebalancing & allegiance abilities in the next GHB will end up having just as much of an impact on the player landscape as any of the changes to the core rules.

So, for those who really like the edition exactly as it is - it feels like you are probably just fine because core rules are not going to change this to really look different than it currently is.  And if you are in the camp where you like the game but dislike certain parts of it, those parts won't go away but they may get tweaked to be a bit more palatable for you.

• Like 5

I would love to see new elves but before high elves I think we will see the ones from Malerion. And said this I would like to see more love to destruction. Chaos will have slanesh and this year had Nurgle too, so as the rumors of Darkoath army. Death got Nighthaunt and Malign portens thing. Order got DoK, ID and now new Stormcast with magic and a lot of mortal wounds. Destruction got nothing, and I dont play them but a few friends do. I would love to see new ironjawz units with ranged weapons like catapults or mounted ranged like V-Palladors but with Gore Gruntas or similar, or the new moonclan or pirate goblins or something to give orcs really good distance tools.

Malerion aelves and light elves will probably see light in campaigns in other realms, probably not this year, since aos started only order had tons of factions ?

And still sylvaneth fyreslayer and KO have few models, gw need to fill this gap in the near future before adding new faction to order

Edited by calcysimon

26 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

Malerion aelves and light elves will probably see light in campaigns in other realms, probably not this year, since aos started only order had tons of factions ?

And still sylvaneth fyreslayer and KO have few models, gw need to fill this gap in the near future before adding new faction to order

Next year, I wonder if it is better to extend the « first » factions of AoS with a couple of new kits and un updated battletome or releasing only complete new and/or reinvented factions?