The Rumour Thread

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Raviv said:

Assuming the Stormdrake Guards indeed come in packs of 2, could you risk a guess of the price?

I would say somewhere in the range of 80$-100$, but I can't really find what to compare it to.

Pusgoyle Blightlords are an existing kit that stands out as being similar, in that it's a unit of two mounted flying beasts, one of which can be made into a leader. Now I know they have their own issue, in that they are taken in units of 2, but if you make one the leader, you're left with a spare mini. 

Priced at £40, but the better value is getting them in the start collecting box. They are an older kit, so I'd fully expect GW to charge more for the dragon riders however as they might be slightly bigger.

On the topic of Kruleboyz:

As an Ironjawz player I am looking forward to the new book, I've also started working on some of the Kruleboyz from dominion and am looking forward to fitting them alongside my existing Ironjawz units. From what I've seen it just gives me options, I can play my existing Ironjawz as their own force, I can mix and match them with the new Kruleboyz and eventually I can have a force of just Kruleboyz. 

I like the aesthetic of the Kruleboyz and so far with a similar paint and basing scheme to my Ironjawz they seem to fit alongside ok. Then again I'd already avoided the super bright cartoony style that the GW studio used on Ironjawz. 

If I had one criticism of the way GW have handled it so far, it's that they didn't paint up new studio versions of Ironjawz or Bonesplitterz for all the studio photos of the mixed Orruk Warclan armies. I think this would've helped with people picturing them alongside them. 

Edited by SunStorm
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

My issue with Kruleboyz is the new aesthetic. War clans is now 3.5 different aesthetics (ardboyz). I’d argue that it would have been much better for Destruction and warclans if GW expanded the small IJ and Bonesplittaz ranges to make each more complete.

I am still not convinced that the various Orruk aesthetics look good when mixed together.

I’ve painted mine in different schemes but with the same accent colours to lend a sense of disorganised unity. They are supposed to be a disordered rabble but I wanted to have something to tie them up together. 

744096E1-149F-4445-AD14-1F9E553CF99A.jpeg

2CB87D76-EA23-4BC3-899B-63E405FBA4E5.jpeg

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 3

I think what bothers me about the Kruleboyz release is that it's not clear what the default state of a Warclans army is supposed to be: Is it a mix of different orks or is it sticking to one type?

If running pure Ironjawz, Bonesplitters or Kruleboyz is the default, then I can excuse the disparate aesthetics in Big Waaagh, because the narrative becomes that different tribes of orks band together in an exceptional event. The differnent aesthetics then serve to sell the idea that something out of the ordinary is happening. However, if that is the case, I think Kruleboyz on it's own terms seems a bit underdeveloped.

The opposite is true if Big Waaagh is the default state: In that case, I think the army is not aesthetically unified enough, but I can excuse pure subfaction armies having a narrower troop selection because they are "special interest" lists.

If both are supposed to be equal options, I find the identity of the army a bit unfocussed.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Everyone get hyped for Duardin Gholemkind then it turns out to be some random mercenary for Necromunda. 

It's definitely very techy for AoS. It looks like a robot leg and even Kharadron Overlords don't have straight up robots right now. It could be an aethermatic prosthesis, though. The existence of those was mentioned in one of the Broken Realms short stories, I believe.

Maybe the model is for that female KO admiral. That would certainly be cool to see.

EDIT: It's actually the Admiral's first mate who lost her leg in the story:

The first mate’s prosthetic right leg clicked maddeningly as she walked, every sound causing Imoda to flinch. After spending the necessary shares to repair the battered Intaglio, there had been little left to pay for a proper aethermatic limb to replace the one Grutti had lost [...]

So, with that plus the sad Whitefang react, it's probably not her.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 1

Kharadron do have mechanical prosthetics already but this is quite a bit more advanced that the Thunderer sergeant's. True though that this could be a more advanced version that incorporated aethermatic technology, maybe for a special character or tech-golem treading on some floating sky rocks.

1319947085_Screenshot2021-08-10at12_47_24.png.6193e65beb688e851708e5e217543993.png

It doesn't quite match up with the Kharadron design style either, it's smoother and more stripped down, doesn't look like it's obviously made out of cast parts that have then been assembled. Something Grungni-ish associated with the metaliths/flying rocks of the Dawnbringer crusades doesn't seem impossible though and could account for this looking even more advanced than the Kharadron stuff. Still fairly sci-fi though.

The foot is similar-ish to some 40k Genestealer Cult boots and the overall build isn't that far from the utilitarian sci-fi design you see on their bikes and vehicles. They're based around being miners so maybe it's some sort of GSC engineer or demolitions character, like a dude with a bionic leg jumping off some collapsing rocks? Or perhaps, as has happened before, we're just looking at part of a kit and there's other bits of rock not shown.

835729129_Screenshot2021-08-10at12_54_15.png.e71355972013151e6a5957bf8d3912a7.png

Edited by sandlemad
  • Thanks 4

A while ago someone said that the foot belonged to one of Grimaldus' retinue. With the Black Templars now official, it could be that. The floating rock might not be floating as it looks like sections have been edited out. We could be looking at a Katakros style diorama.

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rivener said:

I know I’m late to the party, but do we think there any more KB models to reveal? It’s not exactly a huge roster right now.

16 units, its above average-big  compared to multiple factions 

Edited by Nos

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/10/magic-and-mayhem-the-dragon-princes-rules-make-them-a-ruinous-tag-team-in-battle/

Hahaha cool, another run of the mill rules preview. I’m sure glad we know there’s no more new models, otherwise we’d go into a frenzy thanks to all the directionless hype. Anyway- wait? What was that? 

2296A787-B5E5-4045-89A3-C6D02E3D1C9B.jpeg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edited by JustAsPlanned
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

I don't think the KB roster is small, but it's definitely lopsided toward (assumedly) expensive monster-mounted heroes that are going to be competing for limited roster slots and points. They're definitely missing roles in their army, which isn't uncommon in AoS, but the army as a whole feels like it's one unit shy of being a nice, complete force.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nos said:

16 units, its above average-big  compared to multiple factions 

You are completely right to point this out, and it's weird that the Kruleboyz roster makes a lot of people feel like it's small when it really isn't. To me, that is indicative of some kind of failure at the aesthetic level: Even though objectively Kruleboyz have a good number of options, they still feel like something is missing. I think just one more "normal dudes" unit would do it.

• Like 1