The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Iksdee said:

I could be overthinking this but is the animosity rule comming back to give us the old O&G feels? This rule and random movement made the old army feel really alive and fun. 

Or it could be generic Orruks? Ironjawz are might makes right, they even look down at the Ardboyz. It will be nice having something in the middle again, the old world Orcs worked so well as you could see where they branched off from, Big Waagh always felt a bit disjointed when i've seen it played as its just two very distinct styles of models with no real overlap.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PainfullyMediocre said:

Or it could be generic Orruks? Ironjawz are might makes right, they even look down at the Ardboyz. It will be nice having something in the middle again, the old world Orcs worked so well as you could see where they branched off from, Big Waagh always felt a bit disjointed when i've seen it played as its just two very distinct styles of models with no real overlap.

I can easily see small orruks being smacked around by the bigger ones. It could even be some kind of halfbreed orruk/gobbo/something else. I agree that we need something to tie everything together. I still cant seem to find a place for Kragnos in all this but we will see. I'm still team Gordrakk.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I see it exactly opposite. Now, after separation, goblins can thrive can expand and depict their very personality.

When they were part of orcs they were in my opinion treated as handicapped addons, a nuisance. Now Gloomspite Gitz are a great force on their own. I'm a happy owner of GG and would hate if they were merged again with orcs.

White i agree that sort of Basic orc form should return to better unites warclans(but would be  better to expand ironjawz)i love the idea of branching greenskins species because was a lore part not expanded much in whfb(they should have had the elvish numbers treatment).

For the same reason i don't  like much the ideas of destruction armies not greenskins/ogors/troggoth/giants (unlike some ideas like Human worshipping Gorkamorka,),the GA has some sort of thematic cohesion.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I see it exactly opposite. Now, after separation, goblins can thrive can expand and depict their very personality.

When they were part of orcs they were in my opinion treated as handicapped addons, a nuisance. Now Gloomspite Gitz are a great force on their own. I'm a happy owner of GG and would hate if they were merged again with orcs.

I agree, I think GG has thrived in its separation from orcs. OW on the other hand I think has suffered from it, because they've taken orruks in a pretty linear, kinda monotone path (bigger, armored orruks led by bigger-er, armored-er orruks with a few saving graces in other flavours like the weirdnob shaman and the maw-krusha) while disposing of  a good portion of the old orc models and concepts without revisiting those, savage orruks staying helps but they need updating and aren't super varied themselves.

I do see that OW has its own appeal though, and while I would be happy with them getting some new greenskin variants reminiscent of the old orcs or hobgoblins I do also feel like it completely changes the philosophy behind the army. I'm expecting the new greenskins (assuming that's what we're getting) to be their own army, and I could see them having some Cities of Sigmar-esque options to draw from other armies.

I'm happy with either scenario though. I just wonder if adding them to OW would dilute what makes it... OW. Granted, bonesplitterz are already kind of their own separate style inside of the same army, so maybe it becoming a Waaagh!-representative army wouldn't be such a huge change in direction. I dunno.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I definitely see the removal of horde discounts coming. Gravelords is a horde faction (or at least LoN was) and that book does not feature any horde discounts or bonuses at all. If Skeletons and Zombies don't get horde discounts, then we really have to ask ourselves who should. That will make point costs rise for many armies.

Which is pretty disappointing for me. I like playing with and fighting big blobs of infantry, it makes the scale of the game seem a bit more epic.

Edited by Vaporlocke
  • Like 1

Just now, Vaporlocke said:

Which is pretty disappointing for me. I like playing with and fighting big blobs of infantry, it makes them scale of the game seem a bit more epic.

You still can. These are probably still some of the best armies around simply because of how important objective capturing is. And you can't do that without bodies. I think it's more of a case of not rewarding what is already one of the strongest list building choices even more. If big infantry already have the best capturing and damage output, why should they also be cheaper and get bonuses for bringing extra guys?

I think it's a case of wanting to close the gap between horde and elite armies a bit. I think that is ultimately good to get new players into the hobby, because having to paint 100 guys to get started with 2000 point games is a huge barrier. Removing horde discounts would also make the choice of taking medium sized units more valid, when before it was often either min-size or max-size.

• Like 6

What is the big deal with the 'steppes' theme people keep mentioning when in relation to a new greenskin faction?

I really loved the crazy contraptions for the old whfb gobbos. Doom Diver , pump wagon etc and can't wait to see an AoS take on that.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

treated as handicapped addons, a nuisance.

That's exactly what grots are though! :D

Yeah, GG are a great army but they had lots of personality before becoming their own faction too.  Then again we had a sole Gobbo faction like 18 years ago already in Gorkamorka...not Moonclan grots but they portrayed the smaller green ones in lots of detail).

I like that they got expanded upon, don't get me wrong, but I'm still not happy they got completely separated. The new faction might remedy that now but I think it would've been better if they had them separate (to flesh both of them out) and be able to properly combine the two armies if wanted. Something which doesn't work with the keyword spam of AoS. IMO the by far weakest part of the ruleset as it forces you into taking certain things and kills possible synergies elsewhere, e.g. you're always way worse off if you mix and match.

1 hour ago, Laststand said:

Excellent suggestions, would love expanded firebellies for a fire and ice army. My minimalist ask would be to give the leadbelchers cannons more than 1 damage! D3 is swingy but appropriate. 

Yes Fire and Ice Ogors!!

14 minutes ago, MitGas said:

That's exactly what grots are though! :D

Yeah, GG are a great army but they had lots of personality before becoming their own faction too.  Then again we had a sole Gobbo faction like 18 years ago already in Gorkamorka...not Moonclan grots but they portrayed the smaller green ones in lots of detail).

I like that they got expanded upon, don't get me wrong, but I'm still not happy they got completely separated. The new faction might remedy that now but I think it would've been better if they had them separate (to flesh both of them out) and be able to properly combine the two armies if wanted. Something which doesn't work with the keyword spam of AoS. IMO the by far weakest part of the ruleset as it forces you into taking certain things and kills possible synergies elsewhere, e.g. you're always way worse off if you mix and match.

It only stands to reason that separating grots and Orcs benefits the grots more. Goblins were always where all the fun/silly and varied bits of the army resided, while Orcs mostly just provided the baseline muscle. So separated Goblins are still great and separated Orcs are boring and monofocused.

While I'm not really sold on all the swirling rumors about these swamp orcs, hobgobs, whatever, it does make sense to me that GW would use them to expand warclans with something closer to the traditional goblin roles, EG literally anything that isn't just brute force melee.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

and I always thought that khorne mortals would be the way to go if your not interested in spamming bloodthristers.

It is. Going full demon with Khorne is a choice you make to deliberately hamstring your army.

7 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

Better later than never. Imagine how this game would have been better without Hearthguard, eel, Witches and all other spams in the game. Basically without spammers thinking they are pros.

But, by the same token, this could affect Khorne players using 4 Insensate Rage Bloodthirsters in Baleful Lords Allegiance.

it is hardly a top tier list, but still fun.

some things that are spammed can still be fun

Edited by Russ

A0A1A8B0-DB1C-485A-B685-1075F7EC5F03.png.b24df02c6ca41a10f6f29c5012b943d1.png 
In case anyone is still wondering, I emailed customer service today through store email to get answer to whether legions of nagash is null and void, this is the response, hope this answers all concerns anyone has :) basically seems either run SBGL with allies for missing units, or a grand alliance DEATH army

Edited by Deakz28
  • Thanks 6

I’m actually happy with this outcome. I feared that Soulblight would only get some of the LoN units, making it another small army with limited choices. But inheriting basically all LoN units, Soulblight is now a veritable Vampire Counts 2.0, with a nice big palette of old and new models. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Russ said:

But, by the same token, this could affect Khorne players using 4 Insensate Rage Bloodthirsters in Baleful Lords Allegiance.

it is hardly a top tier list, but still fun.

some things that are spammed can still be fun

Yes like for example 13Dowheels (if it just would be possible)

a missed opportunity for gw

47 minutes ago, madmac said:

It only stands to reason that separating grots and Orcs benefits the grots more. Goblins were always where all the fun/silly and varied bits of the army resided, while Orcs mostly just provided the baseline muscle. So separated Goblins are still great and separated Orcs are boring and monofocused.

While I'm not really sold on all the swirling rumors about these swamp orcs, hobgobs, whatever, it does make sense to me that GW would use them to expand warclans with something closer to the traditional goblin roles, EG literally anything that isn't just brute force melee.

Very good point indeed! 😎👍
Never thought about it like this but this was a revelation!

On 5/15/2021 at 1:17 PM, Sleboda said:

Beyond lame.

Predatory.

I get front-loading production for releases makes things slightly cheaper, but seriously at this point we need a new pre-order system that relies on Made-to-Order and not an existing stock that is highly susceptible to bot scalping.

a made-to-(pre)order system that looks something like:

1. express interest after reveal in official survey to give GW initial production numbers, done through Warhammer account
  2. Email reminder shortly before paid pre-orders go up, for survey respondents and newsletter subscribers
  3. Official pre-order day is a finalization and payment of orders to make, limit 1 (or 2) per customer account. Anyone can order but pre-orders MUST be done with Warhammer account
  4. batch these orders by region or timezone, allow shipping to locations from the Store Finder
  5. ship M2O in these batches

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Because it should be called Necromancer on Mortis Engine, it's basically a mount.

I saw someone describe it as the upgraded Corpse Cart Hovercraft and that made it click. It's really just an odd quirk of the old Malignant start collecting kit that has it associated with the Nighthaunt.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I get front-loading production for releases makes things slightly cheaper, but seriously at this point we need a new pre-order system that relies on Made-to-Order and not an existing stock that is highly susceptible to bot scalping.

a made-to-(pre)order system that looks something like:

1. express interest after reveal in official survey to give GW initial production numbers, done through Warhammer account
  2. Email reminder shortly before paid pre-orders go up, for survey respondents and newsletter subscribers
  3. Official pre-order day is a finalization and payment of orders to make, limit 1 (or 2) per customer account. Anyone can order but pre-orders MUST be done with Warhammer account
  4. batch these orders by region or timezone, allow shipping to locations from the Store Finder
  5. ship M2O in these batches

I just hope to Crom we get some sort of M2O for the 3e launch box, so I have a shot at ordering it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iksdee said:

I could be overthinking this but is the animosity rule comming back to give us the old O&G feels? This rule and random movement made the old army feel really alive and fun. 

Please god no, anything but old animosity rules. They ruined any non black orc or MSU build. 1/6 chance your unit just doesn't do anything. I have nightmares about my night goblin only army vs family members dwarf gunline and only 1 unit making it by turn 3 to frontline because they were blown off the field or refused to move. It sure felt "great and fluffy" when 4 units fail it first turn and you just dont get to play the game.

Its telling that 9th age decided to ditch that mechanic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CDM said:

What is the big deal with the 'steppes' theme people keep mentioning when in relation to a new greenskin faction?

I really loved the crazy contraptions for the old whfb gobbos. Doom Diver , pump wagon etc and can't wait to see an AoS take on that.

I'm in the same boat, I love the ramshackle goofiness that seems to follow GW Goblins around. If they have any kind of chariot unit I'd almost be tempted to get the Blood Bowl Snotling wagons for it.