The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Fair enough, but still, no "this book replaces that book" statement from them, right?

I also believe if there is no active battletome when 3rd launches it is no longer classed as valid since it wasn’t in production as the new rule set is released, so even if it may be valid (minus the warscrolls) it will only be for a couple months, by the looks of it, I don’t think it’ll render armies invalid, and extensive battletome leak came around and seems the same just far far better! I wouldn’t use the old battletome over this one, and if you’re concerned about units that have been removed then they can still be allies, either way, the warscrolls will be out of date in the legions book now 

5 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

Actually some one commented on their Facebook page which they also commented stating it was the new book going forward 

"Someone" saying "something" on the Most Eisley of internet sites/apps is hardly an official "ditch your old book, oh and also so sorry you wasted all that money on an army that is no longer valid" though, is it?

I totally get the bit where it says in the book that you need to use the most current warscrolls. That's fine. I can play Legions of Nagash with updated points/scrolls. I'm just not ready to start from scratch based on a FB reference.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

I also believe if there is no active battletome when 3rd launches it is no longer classed as valid since it wasn’t in production as the new rule set is released, so even if it may be valid (minus the warscrolls) it will only be for a couple months, by the looks of it, I don’t think it’ll render armies invalid, and extensive battletome leak came around and seems the same just far far better! I wouldn’t use the old battletome over this one, and if you’re concerned about units that have been removed then they can still be allies, either way, the warscrolls will be out of date in the legions book now 

I would expect the GHB 21 to be the only place where they completely rule out an allegiance. I didn’t find any reference in the current tome to it replacing Legions, but why anyone would want to use Legions over this? I mean it’s not like Arkhan, Morghasts and Bat Swarms were particularly popular earlier, no?

By any means this is an upgrade, you may or may not like it, sure some Nighthaunt left, but it’s all for better coherency. 
Anyway now Nighthaunt cannot be brought back anymore by vampires if I’m not wrong, independently from which tome you use.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

I would expect the GHB 21 to be the only place where they completely rule out an allegiance. I didn’t find any reference in the current tome to it replacing Legions, but why anyone would want to use Legions over this? I mean it’s not like Arkhan, Morghasts and Bat Swarms were particularly popular earlier, no?

By any means this is an upgrade, you may or may not like it, sure some Nighthaunt left, but it’s all for better coherency. 
Anyway now Nighthaunt cannot be brought back anymore by vampires if I’m not wrong, independently from which tome you use.

Ah okay I may be wrong, it may be in generals handbook which will release around 3rd unless they put an errata 

8 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

"Someone" saying "something" on the Most Eisley of internet sites/apps is hardly an official "ditch your old book, oh and also so sorry you wasted all that money on an army that is no longer valid" though, is it?

I totally get the bit where it says in the book that you need to use the most current warscrolls. That's fine. I can play Legions of Nagash with updated points/scrolls. I'm just not ready to start from scratch based on a FB reference.

🤷‍♂️

yes but I attached an image showing warhammer official reply, it’s not someone it’s an official source... even if they get mixed up, sorry dude, I think it’s a bit of a conversation more for the Soulblight/legions thread, I know it’s frustrating to lose units and a book, so maybe ask there where they may have better info, or better yet email gamesworkshop themselves :) plus I work in gw store and know we won’t be selling that book anymore, I think all fingers point in that direction, there may be a technicality for now but it won’t last long, you’d best get info from customer service

Edited by Deakz28
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Sam (the AoS Labs guy) mentioned in his video that in 3.0 there'd be rules to try and prevent spamming units. A hard cap on using the same type of units, and some kind of system that limits unit size depending on how large other units are.

This could change list building for the game for the better, but some factions are gonna be real different after this kind of change

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

This could change list building for the game for the better, but some factions are gonna be real different after this kind of change

Between this and warscrolls battalions not viable for matched play it’s going to be a real shake up! For the better I hope too! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Fair enough, but still, no "this book replaces that book" statement from them, right?

Yes. Someone asked Warhammer Community and they replied ' I can confirm this is a replacement of the legion of nagash battletome'

Or something to that effect

Edited by Damosane

12 minutes ago, Vaporlocke said:

Is there anything official about the battalions going away or is it still a rumor? 

In the interview with the designers at Warhammerfest, the designers did mention core battalions and referred to there being armies that were have and have not in relation to battalions and that the core battalions would fix this. I am really hoping that the core battalions are in addition to warscroll battalions as oppossed to instead of warscroll battalions. 

Speaking of core battalions, did everyone notice the "Legion of Shyish" battalion in the Pitched Battle Profiles of Soulblight that isn't otherwise covered in the book? Is that the first "core battalion"?

Edited by Angela
clarification
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Would it?

I'm not massively up on the meta right now, but if we assume it is just the rule of 3 40k has, how many armies are actually significantly changed by that?

I know the line will always be 'just go play narrative/open play then' but I don't really see the problem with someone bringing 200 ungor raiders or 160 clanrats if that is what they want to do.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

Would it?

I'm not massively up on the meta right now, but if we assume it is just the rule of 3 40k has, how many armies are actually significantly changed by that?

I know the line will always be 'just go play narrative/open play then' but I don't really see the problem with someone bringing 200 ungor raiders or 160 clanrats if that is what they want to do.

I imagine it could possibly sting fyreslayers as they do tend to like a lot of Hearthguard. To be honest, it will also sting them if they lose battalions - they could be in for a bit of a bumpy ride.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

🤷‍♂️

Do what you want! I dont really care! You asked if there was confirmation so I told you what I saw, I see someone also posted a screenshot.  You can cling to your old book but its retired whether you like it or not. Doesn't make a difference if you play with reasonable friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

What's there for Games Workshop to say about Cursed City that is going to help this sell these new releases? Do you want them say something FOMO like, "Check out these models previously from one of our fastest selling box sets: Cursed City.  Which sold out almost immediately. Be sure to pre-order yours May 22 early."

Games Workshop is in the business of selling models. On their end from a certain point of view, Cursed City was a huge success selling out so fast. I can't really see a scenario where bringing that up selling the same models but asking for more money assists in the selling of said models that isn't going to result in even more sore feelings from fans/ex-fans still paying attention to GW over not saying anything at all.

Think you misread the tone of my post dude

So long as it's not illegal, I genuinely dont care how GW do, or dont, market their toys

Was literally just a wry observation 

FWIW I'm pretty sure Cursed City *wasn't* a sucsess despite selling out as fast as it did. Successful companies aren't in the buisness of hiding phenomenonal money making ventures and generally scotching all reference of them from history as far as they are able. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

Would it?

Depends on how it interacts with Battleline units. Is it like 40k where Troops/Battleline are excluded from the rule of 3? If Battleline are excluded, what about conditional battleline units (like Spider Riders under a Spiderfang general)? How does it treat units with slightly different Warscrolls (is it limited to 3 Arachnaroks, or 3 of each type of Arachnarok?)

I don't think it would massively impact the main faction (like Moonclan probably wouldn't bring more than 3 squads Fanatics/Snufflers/Stabbas anyway), but subfactions that focus on specific units could get pretty hurt. Spiderfang have only one unit outside of their big monsters; the humble Spider Rider. Limiting them to only 3 squads would be very restrictive for them.

8 minutes ago, Nos said:

I'm pretty sure Cursed City *wasn't* a sucsess despite selling out as fast as it did. Successful companies aren't in the buisness of hiding phenomenonal money making ventures and generally scotching all reference of them from history as far as they are able. 

Whose hiding anything?  Outside of Indomitus which appeared to genuinely catch GW off guard, has GW said anything concerning how well a release sold to the public ever?  Cursed City is no different than when Abbadon the Despoiler released and GW made no mention it until best models of 2019.  Games Workshop didn't say anything either time. It's fans/ex-fans still keeping a tab on things that expecting something when there really isn't a reason to.  Feels tilting at windmills to me.

Yeah, It isn't fun (and doesn't feel fair) that a product wasn't made as widely available so every customer could get it if they wanted.  My FLGS hasn't been able any new GW product I have wanted for over half-a-year.  Sure, most of it wasn't limited save Pariah Nexus.  Doesn't mean I'm not a little frustrated that I still haven't had access to Wave 2 Lumineth unless I go somewhere else that doesn't support where I play. No, I am a little frustrated.  At the same time, these aren't normal times (pandemic/sudden interest in GW products/paper/cardboard shortages/GW outsources paper products) so it isn't like we don't have any clues what caused Cursed City's fate.

I certainly don't believe GW owes us any kind of explanation any more than they owe use one on how well the Heavy Intercessors pre-sale are next week. I simply don't believe fans, ex-fans and/or customers are entitled to that information as a mater of fact.

20 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

I certainly don't believe GW owes us any kind of explanation any more than they owe use one on how well the Heavy Intercessors pre-sale are next week. I simply don't believe fans, ex-fans and/or customers are entitled to that information as a mater of fact.

If they had advertised it as a limited run before hand there never would have been an issue. People don't want sales numbers, they want an explanation for why a product that was sold as a permanent addition to GW's range was deleted immediately after release.

Releasing the models (I am 100% certain that the hero ones will come eventually) fixes 99% of the issues most people had related to it, but it's still a very, very strange situation and at this point I just want answers for the sake of my own curiosity.

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

Whose hiding anything?  Outside of Indomitus which appeared to genuinely catch GW off guard, has GW said anything concerning how well a release sold to the public ever?  Cursed City is no different than when Abbadon the Despoiler released and GW made no mention it until best models of 2019.  Games Workshop didn't say anything either time. It's fans/ex-fans still keeping a tab on things that expecting something when there really isn't a reason to.  Feels tilting at windmills to me.

Yeah, It isn't fun (and doesn't feel fair) that a product wasn't made as widely available so every customer could get it if they wanted.  My FLGS hasn't been able any new GW product I have wanted for over half-a-year.  Sure, most of it wasn't limited save Pariah Nexus.  Doesn't mean I'm not a little frustrated that I still haven't had access to Wave 2 Lumineth unless I go somewhere else that doesn't support where I play. No, I am a little frustrated.  At the same time, these aren't normal times (pandemic/sudden interest in GW products/paper/cardboard shortages/GW outsources paper products) so it isn't like we don't have any clues what caused Cursed City's fate.

Neither do I...?

2 hours ago, Mutton said:

Sam (the AoS Labs guy) mentioned in his video that in 3.0 there'd be rules to try and prevent spamming units. A hard cap on using the same type of units, and some kind of system that limits unit size depending on how large other units are.

Reminds me of the building system WHFB had, where unit choices were capped at a % of your total points and could only be taken so many times as a maximum in the case of heroes, special and rare.  Heroes and Core units were capped at 25% and special at 50%. 

This system worked great when ever army had bucketloads of unit choices, but in AOS there are many armies that don't have much unit choice available or only 1-2 viable options.  Hopefully this means the small armies in AOS will get blessed with a second wave introducing new units to balance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mojojojo101 said:

Would it?

There's quite a few armies that take MSU. Deepkin and Lumineth are major contenders with eel and archer spam respectfully, this will force them to bulk up those units or take something else, can't imagine this will impact their viability much though.

16 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

This system worked great when ever army had bucketloads of unit choices, but in AOS there are many armies that don't have much unit choice available or only 1-2 viable options.  Hopefully this means the small armies in AOS will get blessed with a second wave introducing new units to balance.

One of the going rumors is that this edition of AoS will focus less on releasing new factions and more on expanding existing ones.

If true, this might bode well for some of those factions with less selection. The only consideration here would be if some of the factions end up getting the Orruck Warclans treatment and being merged into the same book.

• Like 1

I went and looked at a couple of recent tournaments that AoSshorts shares on his Twitter account. I looked at about a hundred lists and didn't see a single cases of an army taking the same unit more than 3 times. The only list I saw that I would describe as spammy was someone taking three units of each type of eel. 

I don't think a rule that limits spam will have any effect. I did hear, however, that some units might have their max unit size changed. That would have an impact on list building. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

I imagine it could possibly sting fyreslayers as they do tend to like a lot of Hearthguard. To be honest, it will also sting them if they lose battalions - they could be in for a bit of a bumpy ride.

Only if that rumor about all Duardin being rolled into one book isn’t true…….

4 hours ago, pixieproxy said:

They cant do this,armys as citys or stormcast have as 30+ units to choose and not spam but other armys as fyreslayers only have 3 units in total(non heroes) to choose.

So if they gonna put rules to stop spamming units then they must release a second wave of models for armys as fyreslayers or ironjaws

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

The inability to stack saves anymore will really harm them as well, since that was pretty much a core gimmick.

3.0 isn't looking good for Fyreslayers if the rumours are to be believed. Hopefully they get a Battletome early.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2