The Rumour Thread

New stormcast are cool. Now really my thing but definitely suit dark fantasy more than the old ones.

I had a slim hope Idoneth might be featured in 3.0 (given the book being the oldest) but knew it was unlikely.

Keen to see the new evil army. Maybe they will tie in with Kragnos?

• Like 2

If it's Fimir then it's a complete rework, likely with a new name etc etc. They only had a passing reference in the lore, and they would need a revamp to distance themselves from their old selves. I somewhat doubt it as it's too good to be true, but the swamp theme and that foot rumor engine makes me think it's possible.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

2+ save and mortal wounds in melee, these will be fun to play against lmao

To me a 2+ save and mortal wounds in melee is less scary than a 2+ save and "normal damage" in melee, especially for infantry. I know that mortal wounds are scarier than normal damage in a vacuum, but they also "cost" more per damage dealt than low rend. I'm just making up numbers here, but a unit that puts out 10 mortal wounds could easily cost the same as a unit that puts out 20 rend 1.

So mortal wounds are great against heavily armored elites but not nearly as efficient against chaff. Meanwhile rend - or rend 1 is great against chaff.

So when I see a 2+ save and moral wound based damage, I think "OK, this is a great thing to tarpit." They could be super vulnerable to fast chaff. If it were a 2+ save and all rend 1 damage, then suddenly it's much more likely to be able to cut through your tarpit quickly while still being dangerous against the glass cannon units that could actually maybe kill them.

I don't know about you, but I find it super satisfying to tie up my opponent's 300 point unit with garbage.

1 minute ago, Dawnmane said:

2B61FDF5-5CF2-46BF-9BEE-2A35EA6DEBFA.jpeg

Ok, new theory:  the red mask, the fact that there were  some eyes in groups of three in the video, and the way they emphasized in the stream that realms are still very chaos corrupted lead me to a thought. What if these are some gobbos/grots, that got mutated by chaos, but instead of worshipping it, they just kinda kept doing their own thing? That would also explain why they'd be bigger than normal grots

25 minutes ago, Rummybum said:

We don't know what the big guys in the bogs are, but we do know there's some creepy demon squirrels

3.0.PNG

The terrain there looks cursed city-esque! It is odd that everything is mossy and wet on the base of a stormcast. 

I found some precedence for greenskins having red eyes, on top of having a "Red Eye Tribe", Total War uses red eyes for a bunch of their greenskins too. I think with the focus on Destruction/Greenskins so far, it'll be extremely cool looking bog-goblins. which when you think about it, is only one letter away from hobgoblins :P

http://i.imgur.com/GcZy4ty.jpg

TINNIT FOUR-EYE'S GOBBO WAAAGH!!! | Total War WARHAMMER II - Mortal Empires  (Greenskins) #1 - YouTube

johann-tan-johannt-grn-goblin-shaman.jpg

6ac8c06f9ca22f702b56c8317af431ea.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

Interesting note - Excelsis is still on that map.
Are we going to set up the siege of Excelsis all edition just for a quite literal angel to appear and tell them to get got?

I took that as GW wanting to give us a proper map of Ghur's core, and since both Kragnos and 3.0 aren't here yet it makes sense to keep Excelsis on the map for now

Made stronger of mind and body, clad in thunderstrike armour of an ingenious design, and wielding potent blessed weapons, new reinforcements are ready to take the fight to the enemy.

So the Vindictors look cool, I like everything about the visual design, but man, this really does sound like primaris stormcast. Stronger, tougher, better gear, developed in real time by Sigmar/Grungni to be better adapted for the new post-Big Events world (but all in a simultaneously earthshaking and fairly inconsequential fashion) and in some regards render their predecessors obsolete, better proportions in the minis. I can't say I care for that. They're not even meaningfully distinct from regular warrior chambers in the same way as the vanguard or sacrosanct were.

Honestly if they were something like the Azyrheim home guard, the few elite warriors Sigmar had always kept back to defend the walls of Sigmaron and who had the right to bear his own face on their shields, the warriors with a superior link to the realm of Heavens, who are now in this time of desperate trials and broken realms sent out to join the stormhosts in the eight realms, that'd be fine. Arguably it would be something more like Stormcast Custodes but hey, that would be a distinct role from the line stormcast of the warrior, vanguard and sacrosanct chambers.

Otherwise it's just like hey, GW has decided to make new big stormcast, better slip in some justification a few months early in the form of Be'Lakor's storm. Feels like the fairly shallow logic, like the big dramatic problem was only brought in to introduce a new line of minis that ignore it, which if anything is even more transparent than how primaris were introduced (the galaxy is in flames, the only thing that can save it is... slightly larger marines with different bolter variants).

I do get how "lol it's primaris versions of X" gets overused as a response in the fandom to cover a host of new releases but... this is that. It's the primaris model to a T and integrated less elegantly than e.g. new skarboyz/beast snaggas as an indirect redo of regular ork boyz as regular line infantry sculpts.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1